Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

jungle3 (resized).jpg
9fa1f79cf6152b532c3e36348e590817456fd6d1.jpg
13936591_10210877682762232_826350632_n.jpg
13936852_10210877678202118_351828793_n.jpg
13652396_10210781534278580_1889189009_n.jpg
20180113_165805 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider superbee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 6 years ago

Little confused , is this tape residue on the back of the backglass on top of the ink ?

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from FrankJ:

There’s some chemical reaction between the tape and paint in Gottliebs in that era. The tape doesn’t adhere to the glass, but discolors the area it touches.

So its on the back where the ink is but not tape, just residue that has affected the ink showing through ?

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

For the life of the game, the ink on the back glass was resting up against a few pieces of black foam rubber which is attached to the wood insert. Rarely, is the foam sticking to the BG ink. It just out-gassed something that bleached just about any color Gottlieb used in the 70's. The foam was added to prevent rattle and stop the wood insert from rubbing against the back of the BG.

Its sad too, because many glasses that are flaking, usually don't have the tape marks. But the ones with the tape marks are often in much better shape overall except for the tape.

Quoted from pinhead52:

Yes, the foam seemed to bleach the paint. Its the way to tell an original from a reproduction Every 60's GTB seemed to have this.

Got it ! That sucks. The reason i was asking is that im in the graphics business and have learned many unique ways to remove residues and was hoping i could help but unfortunately not in this situation.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Also, please correct me if I am wrong. But it is technically an ink and not a paint.

For the record i did say ink.

Quoted from SUPERBEE:

So its on the back where the ink is but not tape, just residue that has affected the ink showing through ?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Glendale, AZ
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider superbee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tapefoam-mark-on-back-glass?tu=superbee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.