Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by lowepg
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tapatalk_monetization.png
    Screenshot_2013-08-13-15-57-26.png

#1 11 years ago

Personally, I use Tapatalk on my phone to predominately access online forums, any possibility you could install the plugin on this site? I don't know what forum software you use, but Tapatalk supports all the major forum software out there.

http://tapatalk.com/

Here is the plugin:

http://tapatalk.com/activate_tapatalk.php

#2 11 years ago

Hello? Anybody here?

#3 11 years ago
    Quoted from Tighe:

Personally, I use Tapatalk on my phone to predominately access online forums, any possibility you could install the plugin on this site? I don't know what forum software you use, but Tapatalk supports all the major forum software out there.
    http://tapatalk.com/
    Here is the plugin:
    http://tapatalk.com/activate_tapatalk.php

+1

#4 11 years ago

I would post waaaaay more if the forum supported Tapatalk.

#5 11 years ago

I might be talking out my ass, but I think Pinside is custom written by Robin and his brother.

#6 11 years ago

Yeah I believe this is completely custom forum software, which is both insane and impressive! Maybe further insanity can go towards creating a mobile smartphone version

#7 11 years ago

Thanks for your suggestion! The Pinside forum software was based on bbpress and then completely customized (I mean, really really hacked) to integrate into the Pinside.

There are several reasons why I'm not planning to integrate with Tapatalk. First and foremost, it would take things out of my control, and in the hands of a third-party (commercial) app - I don't like that idea. Second the app itself is not free for users. Third, Tapatalk is not free for us (the Pinside) to integrate (yeah there is a free version but it "monetizes" links, I don't call that free). Fourth, I would have to implement a plugin which I'm sure won't work out of the box because we messed about with the bbpress software so much. Fifth: It would not give the whole Pinside experience (which is showing your location, karma, heart, collection, ratings count etc. - something I've worked on very hard to accomplish, integrating the whole site into one).

I totally understand the need for a nice smartphone app to streamline reading and posting on the Pinside but it will have to be custom built by ourselves. Hopefully I'll be able to create something in the nearby future, but it would probably be a mobile version of the site, not an app (too much platforms to support )

#8 11 years ago

Weird, because I participate on a forum that uses the free tapatalk plugin and I haven't seen one ad at all. Believe me the forum owner isn't paying for the plugin.

The thing that sucks is that I am hardly ever on a computer to ever check this forum. But I always have my phone. This is what prevents me from participating much.

Also, notifications don't seem to work at all either... So I only knew that someone posted here when I went to check.

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from Tighe:

Also, notifications don't seem to work at all either... So I only knew that someone posted here when I went to check.

Does this forum have notifications?

#10 11 years ago

Pinside works pretty damn good on my iphone already...just need to zoom in sometimes to click stuff...

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Hopefully I'll be able to create something in the nearby future, but it would probably be a mobile version of the site, not an app (too much platforms to support )

That would be awesome. I continue to be impressed with this forum.

#12 11 years ago

On an unrelated topic there Robin, I just thumbs up'd your post and it dropped your karma by like 1000 points! The number just kept going down! I swear, I was thumbs upping!! It was good reasoning!!

7 months later
    #13 10 years ago

While I would love this to have Tapatalk functionality since I did pay for it and use it lots, an app or similar mobile solution would be great.

#14 10 years ago

I use tapatalk.... A lot.

However, I have to say- I really LIKE this forums software.... I probably use it 90% of the time from an iPad- and it works great! I especially like the "rolling header bar" or whatever you'd call it.

The only gotcha I sometimes run into is buggy photo uploading, but that may very well be an "apple-thing" since I never have issues from my desktop.

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

Pinside works pretty damn good on my iphone already...just need to zoom in sometimes to click stuff...

Yea. I second this. I hate mobile versions of sites. And anything that prompts me to install something from AppStore everytime I visit a site is ultra annoying.

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Thanks for your suggestion! The Pinside forum software was based on bbpress and then completely customized (I mean, really really hacked) to integrate into the Pinside.

I'm curious why you chose bbPress, is Pinside running WordPress as a CMS?

#17 10 years ago

I love and use Tapatalk as well, but understand the reasoning for not supporting it. It would still be awesome to have a mobile forum configuration of some sort. While I don't always love mobile sites, I do like mobile forums. I am on my phone more than my tablet, and while it works on my phone it is still small and not the most user friendly. However, it is in no way a pinside dealbreaker for me! I have a computer at work and home, so I can always log in via PC!

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I'm curious why you chose bbPress, is Pinside running WordPress as a CMS?

No, Pinside is custom written from the ground up. When we decided to add a forum we didn't want to reinvent the wheel and looked for two weeks for non-bloated forum software. That's when we found BBPress. I was fast, lean and uhm, well, all pretty "hackable". The thing that's running now is completely customized to tightly integrated with the site, which I feel we never could have done with more complex forum software.

Pinside mobile is still in the .plan files here!

2 months later
    #19 10 years ago

LOL .plan files, you nerd. I love Tapatalk and run a popular forum myself. I don't pay a dime and have never seen any ads... and Tapatalk doesn't replace the forum, it just makes it easier for some of us mobile phone users to post and read. It's a shame you can't/won't implement it, but I'm looking forward to a mobile app of sorts!

#20 10 years ago

Tapatalk is a good solution for mobile devices to make things more efficient for users as well as eliminating browser issues due to its lowest common denominator approach.

On an Android device with multiple browsers I still see significant font size inconsistencies requiring me to constantly zoom in and out from post to post in a single thread. Posting a message is so difficult that I don't do it until I get to a desktop (uncontrollable zooming, panning and cursor re-positioning).

Screenshot_2013-08-13-15-57-26.pngScreenshot_2013-08-13-15-57-26.png

#21 10 years ago

I just checked the settings and you can disable all monetization.

tapatalk_monetization.pngtapatalk_monetization.png

2 months later
    #22 10 years ago

Interesting that one of the reasons mentioned for not supporting Tapatalk is that it wouldn't give the reader the full Pinside experience. Surely that's the reader's choice rather than the site operator's? What matters more? That the user reads your content, or that the user reads your content laid out and presented in a style that you prefer? I'd suggest the former matters more, especially as this will still add to your site stats.

More significantly, Pinside already supports multiple RSS feeds. The site operator has no control over how those feeds are consumed. Tapatalk is just another client that consumes the same content that's already been syndicated via RSS. What's the difference?

1 year later
    #23 9 years ago

Any update to this concept of an easier version for use on my mobile?

#24 9 years ago

Lot of non donators in here asking for extra stuff....

2 weeks later
    #25 9 years ago

Maybe they'd donate if they could use tapatalk........

#26 9 years ago

I use tapatalk - a lot.

I far prefer the native layout of this forum.... and its really one of the very few (maybe the only one?) that I can say that about.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tapatalk-plugin-for-this-forum and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.