Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,404 posts
  • 156 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by Pablito350
  • Topic is favorited by 242 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2659 (resized).jpeg
    File Content DE Audio FLAC (resized).JPG
    MM backbox (resized).jpg
    IMG_0831 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0830 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0829 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2024-01-21 190411 (resized).jpg
    1 (resized).jpeg
    ARCADE UPKEEP Dual Voltage PS02 (resized).png
    ARCADE UPKEEP Dual Voltage PS03 (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).JPG
    Capture (resized).JPG
    screenshot (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_8354 (resized).png
    IMG_8353 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

10 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Overview of Pinsound and what is needed to install and set up. Posted by Mr_Tantrum (7 years ago)

Post #137 Examples of event and the instrumental related to it. Posted by Mr_Tantrum (5 years ago)

Post #182 Pinsound + Board showing adjustments. Posted by pinballjah (4 years ago)

Post #246 Shaker Control Posted by Mr_Tantrum (4 years ago)

Post #247 How to edit shaker routines. Posted by Mr_Tantrum (4 years ago)

Post #263 Determining which Pinsound you have. Posted by Mr_Tantrum (3 years ago)

Post #267 USB drives that are compatible. Posted by pinballinreno (3 years ago)

Post #469 Normalizing sound files. Posted by Mr_Tantrum (3 years ago)

Post #489 Best to convert OGG files to WAV files. Posted by Mr_Tantrum (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ashram56.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#802 3 years ago

I would welcome feedbacks on two points:
    - Has anyone tested LOTR Pinsound shaker package vs a "standard" Stern Shaker implementation (ie using the updated PAL and ROM, etc)
    - There are four expansion ports available on Pinsound, has there been any documentation on how to use them ?

Thanks !

#804 3 years ago
    Quoted from DeathHimself:

On my first LOTR I had the version 10.02 and pal chip upgrade to implement that shaker which was great. Since selling that machine and buying another years later I now went with the complete Pinsound setup with the shaker.
    IMHO the pinsound shaker setup is leaps and bounds over the LE version of 10.02. One of the biggest draws to it is that you have the ability to implement that shaker on any sequence you like in addition to strength, pattern and duration of the shaker's use.
    If you are going to get a pinsound it only makes sense to go for the few extra dollars and get their shaker kit setup. Once again that's MHO.

Thanks for this info. I already have a pinsound, so was considering the upgrade. That said I'm not too big on customization (spending waay too much time already on repairing/modding HW), but can I assume the default "shakerization" is already good enough?

Ah, also, do you know if I can use Stern shaker as a replacement for the pinsound shaker, of course replacing the control electronics board ? Or is it a different motor with different voltage requirements?

That's too avoid if I can having to physically swap the shaker themselves. Plus it has the bonus that if I ever sell my LOTR, I can easily remove the pinsound and just sell it stock with the original LE shaker

Regards

#806 3 years ago

OK, so I found some answers:
    - Pinsound shaker orientation is not the same as Stern Shaker, so I would need to drill new holes... Argh, bad
    - Pinsound shaker board installs in the backbox, with a long wire from the backbox. I can only assume this cable is Power and GND.
    - Stern shaker board installs next to the shaker, with just one control wire from the backbox (ground)

Bottom line: I can probably use the already installed Stern shaker provided that:
    - Pinsound shaker is 12V as well (that's what Stern shaker uses)
    - I build a wire harness (easy)

Can someone confirm that the motor is 12V ? That should be written on the motor itself (if you happen to have one lying around already installed... which is unlikely but worth asking )

I did send an email to Pinsound directly, no response yet

#814 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

The PinSound Motion Control board may very well have some logic in it, and be required for the shaker to function properly and w/o damaging your PinSound board (the control board must be wired into the PinSound board itself). Even if the shaker motor were to be compatible (which it may very well be), without the Motion Control board, you are probably dead in the water. To my knowledge, these cannot be purchased apart from the shaker itself.
    From a simple perspective, the PinSound board is where the firmware resides and the commands for the various shaker actions occur when sounds are fired. These actions are then sent to the motion control which in turn fires the shaker. I don't know how other shakers work, but with Pinsound there are 9 pre-defined actions, and 3 custom ones (the custom ones can be changed for different orchestrations and pins, thus not really limiting you to just 3 total actions across all orchestrations). Each action has a starting intensity, a duration, and an ending intensity. It is much more complicated than just turning the shaker on for x milliseconds then shutting it off. The Motion Control board also has a relay that you can plug any device into and control its turning on and off with number of repeats and duration. This is great for external accessories such a fog machines, topper lighting, etc.

Well to clarify, I don't intend to replace the Pinsound shaker control board with the Stern shaker control board, my goal is just to keep the already installed shaker, and control it with the Pinsound shaker board. In the end, the shaker itself is a motor with a 12V and Ground connection, nothing else (as can clearly be seen on the installation diagram). The control scheme is a PWM control system (or maybe voltage controlled, but I doubt it, too complicated to manage for high amperage devices such as a shaker).

So bottom line: if the Pinsound shaker is 12V as well, then I can buy the Pinsound shaker kit, mount the Pinsound shaker control board, and drive by the virtue of a custom wire harness drive the Stern shaker with the Pinsound control board.

This has the benefit that I don't need to drill other holes in my Pinball machine to mount the Pinsound shaker itself which does not have the same mechanical footprint. I can even leave the Stern control board installed, although not used at all. And later on, if I decide to sell my LOTR I can easily remove the Pinsound boards, and just reconnect the Stern shaker.

At least that's the rationale.

Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Any current shaker routines that are included in the firmware were written by avid PinSound users like me (I think I have 5 or 6 of my routines built into the software). So, I can confidently say that the default routines are indeed "good enough". I spent numerous hours on each routine with custom shaker events and finely tuning everything to work within the natural flow of the game - these weren't just slapped together mindlessly. FYI, none of us to my knowledge were paid for developing these routines or our orchestrations. We just love the products, what they bring to the pinball community, and we want to openly share our work with others. Therefore, everything I make/do is to the level that I personally would want in my own pins, and I trust that this is the same for the majority of other contributors.
    Even so, the great news is that if you don't like the default routine then you can change it in literally minutes with the free PinSound Studio Pro software. You can either tweak the existing routine with free software, or blow caution to the wind and start from scratch with your own. While you can literally apply shaker action to an orchestration and be playing it in about 10 minutes start to finish, to do an original shaker routine well will take at least a couple of hours as you try different things, test on a game, make changes, then repeat the process until you are satisfied.

On that point, I must admit that I have a rather negative opinion on the communication and attitude by Pinsound on this topic. When reading their website, they state "Official package", which implies it's done by them. At no point on their website do they highlight that it's actually community done. They don't give any credit, at least none that I could see. Maybe I missed it, but it's not really apparent then.

Curious though, so when loading an orchestration in Pinsound Studio for a supported machine, will the default implemented shaker routine appear at all ? Or will they only be in the firmware, so you don't see in the Pinstudio application what is already implemented (but any change you make on a specific sound command will override what's in the firmware) ?

#817 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Cool, I didn't realize that.

Well, I'm trying to find it, but can't on their website...

What type of accessories did you control, and how do you control it (besides the relay on the board) ?

They have these expansion boards which conceptually are very cool, but they fall short on promises here. Their website still has "LED control" for example, but I fail to see how in the current implementation. I know how I would do it if had control of the firmware, but I don't, so...

#818 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrMikeman:

You cannot see it. If you enter ANY shaker routine it disables the built-in one completely.

OK, that's a downer. I certainly don't want to redo an entire shakerization by hand if I want to update just one single effect.

And I know EXACTLY why they did it that way (ie storing the shaker routines within the firmware), and while I understand the business rationale, I personally think that taking community work, integrating it in the product without giving credit, and then not providing a way for the community to access the original work is really borderline.

#827 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrMikeman:

It's a simple relay. You run whatever power you need to the relay and the board provides ON based on sound calls. I used it to control rotating beacons on top of my Roadshow (running on a separate 12v supply). Whenever multiball jackpot was hit and/or extra ball and a few other uses the beacons would come on. Unfortunately the ON call is time based up to 10 secs. I was hoping for an ON signal, followed by an OFF signal when the multiball is over but that was not possible. Kind of like the shaker. You can select a duration for ON and that's it.

Ideally, Pinsound should add the option in the application to define a code to be sent on a specific expansion port when there is a specific sound being played. It's probably exactly how they do it today in their motion shaker board, and there is a microcontroller on it which will interpret the command being sent and translate it into a specific shaker action (or relay trigger).

If they did offer that capability, Pinsound will gain a LOT of value for the modding community. You could very easily develop Arduino based custom HW to trigger events based on sound commands. Could be controlling LED, gyros, or even animation. To give you an idea, manufacturing 10 units of a simple PCB cost about 20 dollars including shipment, and the design for a WS2812 control system is DEAD simple. It could even be done on a breadboard.

This "sound command driven action" is fundamentally the approach taken on the Twilight Zone interactive screen mod. This is also the approach taken on Mike's video mod for "Creature from the black lagoon".

Here's hoping that Pinsound is reading this thread and will implement something similar and not keep it proprietary.

If not, well, there are alternate open source options anyway that do exactly that, at the expense of not being plug and play, and require a little bit of soldering work, so applicable for the tinkerers, not so much for the regular pinball players.

2 months later
    #847 2 years ago

The link to the latest Pinstudio Pro is broken (page is empty with some html code in), and my installed version of Pinsound Studio Pro crashes after opening a config file... (version 21.02.2)

Would anyone has a link to it ?

Thanks

#849 2 years ago

Thanks, that's the link I was using, it was dead this afternoon.

It still crashes though... Just love it when this happens

#850 2 years ago

OK, so just tested on another PC where it seems to work. Will have to think of reinstalling windows

That said, I have a TZ which is fully equipped with Pinsound + Pinsound shaker. Working fine, but wanted to add a little bit more power to some events.

Turns out that when I take the USB key on which all orchestrations are installed, if I copy the file over to my PC and open it, I can see the orchestration, but it does not display the embedded shaker settings. So I can't edit them (aside of recreating from scratch). Am I missing something ?

#852 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

When you are playing the pin, is the shaker working when set to the orchestration you are trying to edit? Shaker settings should be saved in the pinsound.config files, but I'm wondering if for routines that are included in the firmware if something different is going on.

Yes shaker is working. I'm using regular pinsound orchestrations with no edits (ie the one available to download on the community website), downloaded them, put them on USB key for installation, started the Pinball. Orchestrations are working, so is shaker.

After that, I simply took the USB key, and copied the files back on my computer, assuming the shaker commands would appear when opening in Pinsound Studio Pro. No dice.

#854 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

You cant edit the firmware shakers.
    They are on the ROM. Not the USB stick.
    You can however, replace them all with your own version by making a new routine and saving it to the USB.

That's a bummer

But let me get this straight, just want to make sure I understand correctly...

- Community develops shaker orchestration
    - These orchestration are then provided to Pinsound, who decides on whether to integrate them or modify them
    - They are then embedded inside the firmware, but in such a way that they don't allow to access them nor modify them
    - If a user wants to modify a few shaker routines, he needs to start from scratch and recreate the entire shaker orchestration
    - There is no repository of the shaker orchestrations done by the community
    - If using community shaker orchestrations anyway, they would be tied to a given sound mix (since there does not seem to be a way to transfer shaker orchestration from sound mix to another)

Does this summarize well my understanding ?

Regards

#856 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Sort of. Some of us include shaker routines in the orchestrations we upload, so if you had one of these you could edit it.
    As simple as it is to create a routine, most want it working out of the box which is why I believe PinSound has taken the path they have.

Thanks for the insight. I suspect there's a difference reason for the path taken by Pinsound, but that's a topic for another discussion.

Now back on what I'm attempting: could whoever did the shaker routines for TZ share his sound package ? I downloaded the most recent sound mix available (TZ Deep Funky) (even though I don't use this one), but it does not seem to include the shaker routines. Other sound mix are too old

Thanks !

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ashram56.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tantrums-guide-to-pinsound?tu=ashram56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.