Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,404 posts
  • 156 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by Pablito350
  • Topic is favorited by 242 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2659 (resized).jpeg
    File Content DE Audio FLAC (resized).JPG
    MM backbox (resized).jpg
    IMG_0831 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0830 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0829 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2024-01-21 190411 (resized).jpg
    1 (resized).jpeg
    ARCADE UPKEEP Dual Voltage PS02 (resized).png
    ARCADE UPKEEP Dual Voltage PS03 (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).JPG
    Capture (resized).JPG
    screenshot (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_8354 (resized).png
    IMG_8353 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

10 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Overview of Pinsound and what is needed to install and set up. Posted by Mr_Tantrum (7 years ago)

Post #137 Examples of event and the instrumental related to it. Posted by Mr_Tantrum (5 years ago)

Post #182 Pinsound + Board showing adjustments. Posted by pinballjah (4 years ago)

Post #246 Shaker Control Posted by Mr_Tantrum (4 years ago)

Post #247 How to edit shaker routines. Posted by Mr_Tantrum (4 years ago)

Post #263 Determining which Pinsound you have. Posted by Mr_Tantrum (3 years ago)

Post #267 USB drives that are compatible. Posted by pinballinreno (3 years ago)

Post #469 Normalizing sound files. Posted by Mr_Tantrum (3 years ago)

Post #489 Best to convert OGG files to WAV files. Posted by Mr_Tantrum (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RobF.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#316 3 years ago

Does anybody know how to load a psrec file into the current version of Pinsound Studio? All the search results I have found have pointed to previous versions of the software which had an "advanced" tab for this.

#319 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

PinSound Studio Pro does not currently support PSREC playback. However, I'm in fairly regular contact with Nicolas, and he tells me that it is close to being ready for beta testing. No definite ETA, but it is being worked on and will eventually be implemented.

Thanks for the info. Next time you are chatting with Nicolas, please ask him if they are still reviewing and answering web submitted questions. I submitted this and another question about a month ago on their website after I received my first PS board and both are still waiting to be read and approved.

The other submission had to do with sound issues I had on my LOTR after installation. This is what I sent to PS:

I have a newly installed Pinsound+ board on my LOTR game. The speakers are wired as stock in mono configuration. I have so far loaded the USB with three different packages; Original, Sjoend, and Wool mixes. I have also updated the board firmware with the most current (20.01.1). I am having two different types of audio issues;

1) With the volume of the game turned down to 0, the game will play silent most of the time, but occasionally (and apparently randomly?) it will play the pinsound jingle that indicates a change of the sound package and game audio will play for a short time then go back to silent. I have confirmed this occurs with both the game speaker output and headphone output.

2) With both of the community packages the audio volume mixing fluctuates. This is most notable with the background music. The best I can tell is that when other voices or sfx are played the music volume jumps up and down. It also seems like other game sounds are not played at the correct volume and/or vary in volume as they are played. On further research, other users on pinside have reported this same behavior with this game as far back as a year ago. This problem seems to exist to a lesser extent with the original mix but is still noticeable when the volume is set to 1. This problem also is present with the game speakers (in mono) and through headphones (stereo). I will also say the overall volume of the community mixes are much louder than the original and I cannot play the game above a volume level of 2.

I think I have solved (or mitigated) those two issues by adjusting the in game sound adjustments from the game setting menu. I can post details of those settings if anybody is interested.

#323 3 years ago
    Quoted from DeathHimself:

I have noticed this or something very similar as well in my LOTR with the custom online pacjages, so what I did along with capturing many additional sounds from the trilogy was open every sound file in Audacity and manual edited every sound to the same sound level. I have not had any issues since.

I don't think that explains my volume jumping up and down at volume 1, or the PS board switching orchestrations when the volume was set to 0. I think it has more to do with something weird that Whitestar does with low volume requests. On my TSPP when I turn the volume down to 1, you can hear the audio gets choppy and the volume isn't consistent. It's like if you play guitar and you have your pre-amp maxed out and trying to turn your main amp volume down to minimum. The sound volume gets really touchy and a bit unstable (I think that analogy works?). That's how I came to try to manipulate the other volume sound controls in the game menu and it seemed to solve both issues.

I am not saying the community mixes have perfect leveling. I just don't think that the root of my problem.

#324 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I know the brothers have had their hands full with family obligations these last several weeks.
    Not going to make excuses for them, but try to have some patience. Web submission should be a good way to contact or PM here on PinSide, but response will be delayed.

Yeah I can completely understand that. I didn't mean to put you in a place to have to give an explanation. My point was, for a first time time customer it wasn't a pleasant experience having a black hole for support for a new product that didn't work correctly out of the box. If I hadn't figured it out on my own I would have certainly sent it back for a refund and been sour on the product. I only mentioned to you in the case you could pass along feedback that the approved method of support seems broken and if isn't the right way to get help, then they should update their website.

In any case, a general thanks to you for taking the time to help folks on Pinsound's behalf.

#327 3 years ago

It would be cool if you could post the settings you did, I'd like to try them out if you don't mind. Yeah mine was different the level would go to almost nothing to some blaring so I just re did them all. It was a labor of love I can tell you that, three days like six hours a day it was almost like watching all three directors cuts lol.

Two settings (I think the first one is probably the difference maker)

• (LOTR) Feature Adjustment 26
      MAXIMUM VOLUME EFFECT (in the manual it is called ALLOW VOLUME EFFECTS)

Set to YES, the volume will automatically adjust louder and softer, depending on what feature (or certain events) is being played and/or how well the player is performing (or awards received)

Default is: YES (this is according to the manual. The name and values have changed with code updates)
      Mine is: '00'

• Standard Adjustment 37
      BKGRND MUSIC VOLUME

Set between 01-15. After volume is set via Portals Service Buttons this adjustment can be utilized to adjust the background music (1 all the on, 15 all the way off) will keeping the Special Sound FX the same level

Default is: 01
      Mine is set to: 03

#329 3 years ago

I’m going to try these tomorrow thanks, maybe I’ll shoot a quick vid and post the results as well.

That would be great. I wasn't very regimented in my experiments. I just took a couple of guesses and the problems seem to go away. I didn't even note down what values my machine started with. I am curious if you can reproduce the 0 volume track skipping issue...

#332 3 years ago

Ok just a quick update with my settings still at default and volume at zero I played 3-4 games one of which was pretty long destroying the ring etc... and had no volume anomalies.
    Then I set my background to :03 and my Maximum volume effects which was 05 to 00. To me the game was much more enjoyable this way as each callout was properly heard without hardly any stepping over each other and they were a bit more pronounced over the music track now.
    What CPU ROM version and Display ROM version are you running in addition what Sound ROM ver do you have? I'm at 10.02, 10.00 and Sound 1.00

Cool. Glad the changes were an improvement. I am on 10.0 for the game and video. Not sure the Sound ver.

4 weeks later
    #484 3 years ago

Does anybody know if support for SAM still under development?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RobF.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tantrums-guide-to-pinsound?tu=RobF and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.