(Topic ID: 186644)

Mr. Tantrum's Guide to PinSound

By Mr_Tantrum

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2659 (resized).jpeg
    File Content DE Audio FLAC (resized).JPG
    MM backbox (resized).jpg
    IMG_0831 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0830 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0829 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2024-01-21 190411 (resized).jpg
    1 (resized).jpeg
    ARCADE UPKEEP Dual Voltage PS02 (resized).png
    ARCADE UPKEEP Dual Voltage PS03 (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).JPG
    Capture (resized).JPG
    screenshot (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_8354 (resized).png
    IMG_8353 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

10 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Overview of Pinsound and what is needed to install and set up. Posted by Mr_Tantrum (7 years ago)

Post #137 Examples of event and the instrumental related to it. Posted by Mr_Tantrum (5 years ago)

Post #182 Pinsound + Board showing adjustments. Posted by pinballjah (4 years ago)

Post #246 Shaker Control Posted by Mr_Tantrum (4 years ago)

Post #247 How to edit shaker routines. Posted by Mr_Tantrum (4 years ago)

Post #263 Determining which Pinsound you have. Posted by Mr_Tantrum (3 years ago)

Post #267 USB drives that are compatible. Posted by pinballinreno (3 years ago)

Post #469 Normalizing sound files. Posted by Mr_Tantrum (3 years ago)

Post #489 Best to convert OGG files to WAV files. Posted by Mr_Tantrum (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rdoyle1978.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 7 years ago

Wow! Thanks - I was an early supporter of PinSound and even I_ didn't realise you needed to find additional psrec files. I was off to the races with my TZ and have just been using the original DCS sounds , but recently added another one and have been getting into creating custom sound schemes for my DW

Another phenomenal edit suite is called "Reaper" and is only $50. It's as full-featured as Adobe Audition/CoolEditPro but better IMO. I like the interface a tad bit more than Audacity too

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Nice but waaaaaay to complicated for me.

Installing the board is dead easy - this is more like the "how do I get maximum benefit" guide.

Benefits of the board in general are better separation of cab and backbox speakers, the opportunity for stereo sound and bass/treble management. Even with the crappy factory speakers there's a big improvement.

I love this board. And I keep posting this every chance I get. And the brothers have YET to send me a free one. The nerve!!

3 weeks later
    #14 6 years ago

Tantrum - do you know how to raise/lower volume on an entire set of sounds? e.g. 'voice' or 'jingle'? I know you can do it in PS Studio but I can't figure out where those settings get saved so I can inspect it.

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Well, I normalized all of my original files in Audacity so haven't had to mess with this.
    However, I assume that you would utilize gain files to achieve what you want. Not sure if you can use one in the root of a folder or if you need one in every single sound file folder. Seems hard to find info on gain format and values
    Try created a "gain.txt" file and put it in the root folder of the sound type you wish to adjust (e.g. "voice" or "jingle"). Inside the file, from what I can infer you just type a numeric value between 1-20 (e.g. "10", "15", "20", etc.) I assume the higher the number, the higher the gain (e.g. sound amplitude). I also read somewhere that 10 is the standard setting, so maybe sub 10 lowers the gain? It is my impression that if you make these adjustments in PinSoound studio that it creates this file for you, but I've only read and not confirmed that.
    I also found another note on an "undocumented" feature called ducking that you may want to try where you impact how everything relates volume wise to the music (don't know if this still works or not). Here is the link to that: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsound-tz#post-2378741

Yep thanks, I had found the posts about ducking so have tried that (not sure if I'm doing it wrong or if it's not working yet but it did not have an effect)

I'll try putting the gain file in each folder, there is no way I'm doing it for each .wav

I normalized my files as well but I'm trying audio from different sources and may have to add some compression to get everything tweaked, but for now - even the original speech files are way too low in the mix, you really can't hear most of what is being said so i need a global fix. I'm trying to update the callouts to include all 12 doctors (eventually); right now I just have 9, 10 and 11 in there

4 months later
    #26 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinballshark:

It's nice to see a support thread for Pinsound. While the sound board is a good product, support is GREATLY lacking.
    I've posted this else where on Pinside, but it just gets lost in the shuffle.
    I've almost finished my ultimate mix for STTNG. But, the game over music never stops. It fades out, but then goes to full volume after the fade and plays until the silence timer kicks in. Kind of annoying. I've tested it with other people's mixes for STTNG and the same thing.
    I never had any trouble like this with all the Doctor Who mixes I created. Is this a DCS issue or something?

There are fewer DCS mixes than data east or WPC89 games - this may be some kind of weird bug, but given that WPc-S games
    Do not exhibit the same bug, im inclined to think maybe there's something else going on.

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinballshark:

I fixed it. There was a missing sound file that was used to mute the sound at end game (basically). The sound bug is actually in the legacy sound mix for STTNG. I posted on Pinsound's site about it.
    Here's a link:
    http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/topic/175-sttng-game-over-music-wont-stop-looping/

Since you posted this, I started going over my TZ remix again, and found a .wav under "single" that sounded remarkably like what you posted. So you're saying it plays the game over music repeatedly, but the original sound board would play another sound that would cut it off intentionally?

1 week later
    2 months later
    #40 6 years ago
    Quoted from Reznnate:

I see Mr_Tantrum you've got 5 mixes. How does Pinsound determine which mix is the primary/default?
    I'd like to control which mix it boots to initially.

It will remember your selection after you change it. I believe the one with the first alphabetical folder name will be chosen if there is no previous selection

3 weeks later
    #51 6 years ago
    Quoted from boustrophedonic:

The speaker kit that Pinsound sells directly includes the harness. Aftermarket speakers like FF probably wouldn't. It would be easy/straightforward to put together a harness with a little wire and a .156" connector w/ trifurcon crimp terminals you could get from PBL.

FF does have a PinSound-specific kit. But the PinSound speakers are made out of better material, and are matched to the board- they really sound good. Making the connector is easy, whichever direction you take, though.

1 month later
    #61 6 years ago
    Quoted from adamross:

My balance/mix on the LOTR Woolmix is way off. Wool said the mix was done in stereo, but my speakers are mono which can explain why the mix sounds like its all over the map. One poster made the change from stereo to mono on the board and it made all the difference. Yes, I have ordered a stereo cable so I can experience the mix the way it was intended, but would like to just know if it is possible.

They do not, but you can wire the speaker outputs to mix the L and R signals pretty easily. Stereo cable is easy to make, too

#63 6 years ago
    Quoted from Reznnate:

If you've already spent $400 on a pinsound (geez, it's stupid-expensive...), I can confirm the extra $20-30 for the stereo cable is ABSOLUTELY, 100% worth it.

They seem to have raised ALL the prices with this new board, which is disappointing, plus they have removed the USB drive (which including it was a very good idea since there have been lots of reports of people having issues with different brands)

The speakers have also gone up in price, and are Comparable to Pinball pro / FF prices. I am a huge PinSound supporter, but it is getting harder to understand the changes from a consumer point of view. They really need to invest time in making the software simpler, which is still too confusing for the average user, and is definitely hurting the experience. I’ve bought two boards from users who just “gave up” and I can certainly understand why.

3 months later
    #93 5 years ago
    Quoted from cabuford:

Also at least for Lethal Weapon 3 there are multiple files of songs and callouts and many are not used. And a lot of the game music sounds the same. I made recordings of myself saying the number of the file and made a whole PinSound file like that and then just loaded it up and took notes while playing some games. Even with PinSound studio and Visual Pinball I found this easier.
    Also I bought a 10’ usb extension cable from amazon so the USB stick is now just inside the coin door.

That USB extension is a great idea. I ended up springing for a USB drive that can be accessed via WIFI, so I don't have to keep unplugging it and taking it to my computer. Helps a lot!

1 month later
    #96 5 years ago
    Quoted from jedi42:

A couple of times in the thread posters noted that making a mono to stereo wiring harness is easy, but I haven't seen anyone list which wires goes in which pinouts on the new connector. Is it obvious with the Pinsound card in front of you, or is there a different post detailing the positions of the wire? Thanks.

If you look closely at the board, it is listed at the DataEast connector section, st the bottom of the board. C+,C-,L+L-,R+,R- I think

#98 5 years ago
    Quoted from jedi42:

Perfect thanks. What gauge wire is being used? Considering Pinsound, and was wondering whether to make my own cables or not. $20us for the Pinsound harness turns into $35cdn after conversion and taxes.

You can use 20 gauge speaker wire, or pretty much any stranded wire you want . It’s not like the original games had anything super special in there!

#100 5 years ago
    Quoted from jedi42:

Another question from a current non-owner. I read that the new Pinsound+ has an output for an external subwoofer. If I have an external sub, is there a need for the cabinet speaker?

No, the external sub would be louder and create more precise bass. But if you do not hook up the cab speaker, you risk putting more strain on the amplifier which could possibly lead to a shorter lifespan

1 week later
    #104 5 years ago
    Quoted from jedi42:

So my Pinsound is on its way and will be installing in a Getaway. If I wanted to take one of Mr. Tantrum 's orchestrations and add my own music, is it as simple as dropping new music in the correct directory and convert / save as a new orchestration? How hard would this be?

Get it to work with Tantrum’s mix first. Then stick the usb drive in your computer and find the music you want to replace, and put your own tunes In. Remember they must be .wav not .mp3 files

#110 5 years ago
    Quoted from jedi42:

Yes, read all your posts. No question manipulating files takes time with sound levels, clipping sound lengths, etc. To start I just want to ride your coat tails and make some small changes, then get into more serious editing later. I played around a bit, but the pserc files mentioned confuse me a bit. Is it just the "original" file in the download section? I couldn't seem to locate it for getaway. Will I even need it if I am working from an existing orchestration? I expect this will become move clear once the unit comes and I really get into it. Sorry for the likely dumb questions.

You don’t need the PSrec files for what you want to do, just open the usb drive on your computer, go into the folders and find the “music” folder, then play each file you find in there until you find the one you want to replace. Then just replace it - or you can just additionally add your new file in there also, and the game will randomly play one or the other song. With music it’s not hard, you’ll recognise the songs right away

#112 5 years ago
    Quoted from jedi42:

My Pinsound came, and wow, does it ever make a difference. Night and day, truly impressed.
    I have been playing with other music mixes based from Mr_Tantrum's mixes. I have it installed the board in my Getaway, but I am wondering what the point of having multiple song directories with very similar names. For example, why does Getaway have main_theme, main_theme_2, main_theme_3, etc? What is the purpose of these almost exact same directories?

Thes game will sometimes play the song/effect/callout from one folder. Sometimes it will play from the other. The pinsound board is emulating the sound board and this is either how the original board worked - different sound clips for slightly different circumstances, or this is an effect of how the pinsound board translates the logic of the original board

6 months later
    #114 5 years ago
    Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

New PinSound user here, messing around with the board in a Twilight Zone. I've noticed that the amplitude of the entire Chris Granner DCS mix is too low, much lower than the amplitude of the Original Mix. Has anyone found a way to globally increase the amplitude of all wav files in the new mix? I want the amplitude to be about the same as the Original mix so I can switch back and forth between the two without readjusting the PinSound equalizer knobs or the game's volume buttons. I really don't want to open each wav file individually in Audacity in order to increase the amplitude.

there are settings in PinsoundStudio (or you can edit the config.ini file) to adjust the “ducking” settings. This “ducks” the sfx/callout audio down when music is playing, and is a global setting. Duck the sfx and callouts, jingles and “singles” (I think that’s the name) down a bunch, like to 60 or something.

I believe the guide Mr_Tantrum put together goes through this

6 months later
    #150 4 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I just installed my first PinSound board in a GnR and I'm loving it so far. I do, however, have a few questions about modifying one of the sound packages I downloaded. The mix contains five folders: Jingle, Music, SFX, Single and Voice. In the "Single" folder, there is a sub-folder called "1505898115-GAME OVER". This folder contains the music clip that plays after the match sequence. What I'd like to do is add a second sound clip that can also be called. It is my understanding that if you put multiple sound clips in the same sub-folder, they will be randomly played when they are called by the game. I tried this, but my new clip never plays. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to name the new sound clip anything in particular?
    Also, is there somewhere I can find a list of all the events in the game and their corresponding numbers? I assumed this information would be available when I loaded the file into PinSound Studio Pro, but I don't see it anywhere. In fact, I'm a bit confused by the software. It doesn't seem like there is much you can do with it other than some basic volume settings and assigning custom shaker motor actions.

Take the existing sound out of that folder (keep it! Save it elsewhere) and leave just your sound in there. Finish a game and see if it plays. If your sound does play, you can put the original one back in there too. They will both play inside the folder.

I’m betting there’s something else going on - maybe your file isn’t the right format. It must be an uncompressed .WAV file, not an mp3, ogg or other file.

#152 4 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a shot. It should be the right format. I edited it in Audacity then exported it as a 16-bit .wav file. I did the same thing to replace one of the existing songs in the mix, and that one plays fine in the game.

If it doesn’t play using the steps I outlined, open the file in Audacity and re-save it. Maybe something went wrong the first time

#158 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Only the folder names are important. They must begin with the numerical value assigned (you can append anything descriptive after that). The filenames within a folder are irrelevant, so I usually name them something descriptive (e.g. the song they are, the effect, etc.)

And if you really want to get pedantic, only the numerical part of the folder name is important. The actual text that follows can be whatever you want. Shorter is better though

#170 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Didn’t I say that? Well, you may have overlooked since I didn’t use a big fancy college word like “pedantic”. Surprised you didn’t say to keep the file name pithy.

LOL. Ok, you did! I totally misread that sentence. And Apologies for the portentous post!

#171 4 years ago

Yikes. Don’t Pinside on the subway, kids.

#175 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

My comments were all in good fun, so glad you took them that way. Besides, we can all use a vocabulary lesson every so often.

I'm a writer, it's part of my job

#176 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Whoever rips the initial orchestration seems to arbitrarily name the sounds whatever they want. I’m helping a fellow Pinsider with a Star Trek now, and the transporter sounds are named teleporter. Close, but come on, man.

ok now that is funny. At least they didn't write "beamer-upper"

2 months later
    #180 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

So to continue the discussion from the Getaway thread, was wondering about download speeds. As mentioned, whenever I use Pinsound Studio to copy the file to my USB, the upload on my Pinsound card is within a minute. I just tried copying a new orchestration directly onto the USB (bypassing Pinsound Studio) and the download took about 10 minutes. Have others found the same thing when using Pinsound Studio to download the files to the USB directly? Thanks.

Are you using Windows? When you transfer directly, Windows scans each file for viruses, and is dog slow about it. In addition, Windows10 caches filed so the transfer isn’t corrupted - but it takes 10 times as long. When you use an application to transfer, none of that occurs and it’s much faster.

#193 4 years ago
    Quoted from Biglouie:

I do... I dont see any mention of it in Studio. Is ducking achieved through config files somehow, that are dropped into the folder structure? I cant find an example of one, thats all.

I can’t directly speak to the recent Pinsound studio, but the config file does include a setting which dips Music down to the percentage you specify when a callout/Sfx plays

#201 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

The config.ini file belongs at the root level of the USB drive (i.e. not in an orchestration sub folder). However, I do believe you can put settings files down to the sound file folder level (I've not done it), but don't recall off the top of my head what settings you can apply and what the file name needs to be. If you search hard enough on PinSide, you can probably find the answers (or just trial and error on your own).
    You also have to be aware that PinSound Studio has changed significantly with PinSound Studio Pro. Many things no longer apply. The main emphasis of PSSP was to enable shaker programming, and many of the other features previously in PSS will make their way into the application in due time.

GREAT call on PSSP vs PSS. It May be worthwhile for folks without a shaker to keep PSS for the time being. Much good advice here ^^^

#204 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

The old version is useless now with the new formatting and newer firmwares. PinSound is in a transition now for the better, and we just have to be patient with PSSP development.

unless one has held off on upgrading firmware! I wonder if it can be downgraded?hm..

1 week later
    #227 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

Thanks. Wish I knew about this when I ordered one of my Pinsound boards (before I bought the Stern). With the board its $40 extra, if I buy it separately its $130. Something to think about when you order the board, whether you may want to use it on a Stern one day. Get the Stern version and save yourself $90!

Wow that is bullshit. Wtf are they thinking ?

#230 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tres:

I installed the Pinsound 1 board in my lotr today and the external Subwoofer and cabinet speaker isn’t working anymore. The external sub is wired directly the sub in the cabinet.
    If I unplug the external sub, the cabinet speaker starts working and the overall sound is enhanced.
    Do I have to hook up the external sub differently with the PinSound board installed?

Yeah. Sounds like you should.

Speakers have different impedance which affects how much power they can provide. You may need to ditch the external sub, or at least find a different way to power it so that it doesn’t interfere with the main game sub. Or disconnect the cabinet woofer so you can just feed the powered sub.

2 months later
    #240 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

I have a Pinsound+ board in my IJ. I’m debating between a Pinsound+ shaker and a pinshaker shaker motor. Any thoughts? Is the Pinsound shaker easy to install? Thank you.

Pinshaker is WAAAAAAY easier to install and configure. The downside is you can't program *exactly* what you might want - say you wanted the shaker to only go off when Short Round says "you cheating Dr. Jones". You couldn't do that. Pinsound shaker would let you do that, however IMO it is far more frustrating to set up. Depends on how customized you want it, bottom line.

#249 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

Basic settings on the pinsound shaker have you up and running in 5 mins.
    Its the nuances and getting it perfect that takes time.
    The pinsound shaker has all the control you would ever want.
    But you can spend a lot if time getting it perfect.
    I think that after getting it perfect, it would be good to share it.

Much better way to articulate this -

2 months later
    #415 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ricochet:

I have the very same issue with my Pinsound not recognizing the USB. I have the high speed USB stick as well. My power supply is dead nuts on @ 5.095 (pinsound reports the same in diagnostics). However... I will say that I believe it has something to do with how the power supply comes up. The reason I say this is because I never had this issue... until i replaced my LM323 with the EZSBC PSU5. If my machine sits off for a bit (capacitance discharges) it will almost never come up on the first try. I'm not sure how pinsound has its power supply designed but I believe there is a sensitivity there on some units.

Did you get this figured out? I have a PSU5 in my DW and the PinSound operates flawlessly, boots super fast

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rdoyle1978.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tantrums-guide-to-pinsound?tu=Rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.