Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,404 posts
  • 156 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by Pablito350
  • Topic is favorited by 242 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2659 (resized).jpeg
    File Content DE Audio FLAC (resized).JPG
    MM backbox (resized).jpg
    IMG_0831 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0830 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0829 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2024-01-21 190411 (resized).jpg
    1 (resized).jpeg
    ARCADE UPKEEP Dual Voltage PS02 (resized).png
    ARCADE UPKEEP Dual Voltage PS03 (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).JPG
    Capture (resized).JPG
    screenshot (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_8354 (resized).png
    IMG_8353 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

10 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Overview of Pinsound and what is needed to install and set up. Posted by Mr_Tantrum (7 years ago)

Post #137 Examples of event and the instrumental related to it. Posted by Mr_Tantrum (5 years ago)

Post #182 Pinsound + Board showing adjustments. Posted by pinballjah (4 years ago)

Post #246 Shaker Control Posted by Mr_Tantrum (4 years ago)

Post #247 How to edit shaker routines. Posted by Mr_Tantrum (4 years ago)

Post #263 Determining which Pinsound you have. Posted by Mr_Tantrum (3 years ago)

Post #267 USB drives that are compatible. Posted by pinballinreno (3 years ago)

Post #469 Normalizing sound files. Posted by Mr_Tantrum (3 years ago)

Post #489 Best to convert OGG files to WAV files. Posted by Mr_Tantrum (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mr_Tantrum.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

316 posts in this topic match your search for posts by Mr_Tantrum. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 years ago

Last Update: 2017.12.28 - Added New PinSound Orchestration Videos

So, while I don't consider myself an expert, I am a new owner of a PinSound who has created my own custom orchestration. I've had a few people ask me how it's done, so I thought I would start this topic as a tutorial for those who are thinking about purchasing a PinSound or who already have one but don't really know how to customize their sounds. Like most things, while not overly difficult there is a required set of tools, a fairly defined process, some learning required, and much trial and error to get things exactly right. So, with that stated, here we go.

To begin with, you may see a sample of my Getaway orchestration before and after here (I have made a few tweaks since I shot this video):

Before PinSound

After PinSound with my first custom orchestration

Here are my latest Getaway orchestrations (please note sound quality is not representative of real world, but best I could do with my action camera). Setup is PinSound with upgraded stereo speakers and bass.

Standard Orchestration:

ZZ Top Orchestration:

ZZ Top Techno Orchestration:

U2 Orchestration:

Mixed Artist "I Can't Drive 55" Orchestration:

Nirvana Orchestration:

Techno Orchestration:

Baby Driver Orchestration:

John Wick Orchestration:

Here is a instruction video on how to manually convert and install a PinSound orchestration from a ZIP file containing OGG sound files:

Link to all my Getaway orchestrations: http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/category/22-getaway

P.S. I will be fleshing out this post more in the near future, but wanted to get started even though I have more to add.

WHAT IS PINSOUND?

Well, my basic answer to this question is "awesome!" To elaborate a little, PinSound (www.pinsound.org) is an ingenious device that is a replacement for your sound board. In works on a variety of machines including: Data East R3, Williams System 11C, Bally/Williams WPC, Bally/Willimas WPC DCS, and Bally/Williams WPC 95. Before you purchase a PinSound, you will want to confirm that you pin is supported. You may do this by referencing the compatibility list at https://www.pinsound.org/pinballs. PinSound is true 2.1 stereo sound (back speakers + cabinet) with a CD quality sampling rate (44Khz), and you can find all the detailed specs here: https://www.pinsound.org/pinsound-board

HOW DOES IT WORK?

Well, I can't really answer the "how" part of the question from an engineering perspective, but basically what is occurring is that when your pins programming sends a call to the sound card whenever an event occurs. This call is encoded as a specific ID (it is digital, afterall). When PinSound receives this ID from the processor, it references its sound files, looks up the ID, then plays the sound file it has stored under that ID (more detail on this below). Thus, with this methodology you can make any sound you want occur for a specific event. You are not reprogramming the events, rather, you are simply changing the sounds that occur when events happen (e.g. theme music, ball launch, target hit, mode change, etc.)

THE TOOLS REQUIRED

1. A PinSound board (sorry for stating the obvious) | You can purchase your PinSound board directly from http://pinsound.com, but please realize these are produced in France where the inventors live. So, if you are impatient and don't want to wait for shipping (could be up to two weeks to US), then you can also find some distribution from resellers inside the US. I purchased mine at TPF this year as the guys do attend specific shows throughout the year.

2. Speakers | For many the default cabinet speakers may suffice. However, you will want to consider upgrading depending upon the model of pin you have and your current speaker condition. If your speakers are original to your cabinet on an older machine they will work. However, they may sound terrible. Many pins, like my WPC 89, where not designed to handle heavy base or a broad frequency range in general. Also, if you weren't the original owner you don't know what conditions your pin has been through. You need to closely inspect your speakers for damage which will also greatly inhibit the sound quality. Personally, I upgraded my speakers with low cost aftermarket ones and they sound great. However, you can always purchase speakers directly from PinSound or go with a Flipper Fidelity kit.

3. PinSound Accessories | If you have a mono system pin like me, you are going to want to rewire the speakers. While this is not required as the PinSound supports mono sound with your pin's default connectors, I don't think you are purchasing a PinSound to sound like your grandparents' transistor radio. Not difficult if you know what wire is and how to solder, but you can make it a little easier by purchasing the optional stereo 2.1 wiring harness. This comes with the required connector and six cables (3 pair) plenty long to reach where they need to. You will still need to solder the tips to the speaker leads or do what I did and solder on quick connects to the wire that then plug onto the speaker leads. If you want to use headphones with your PinSound then you will want to purchase the switched headphone cabinet kit. You can buy with or without headphones if you already have some (uses standard 1/8" stereo plug), and once installed you can set to turn off or leave on the speakers when headphones are plugged in. Finally, some pin models require an adapter kit and others even support a remote control. Just be sure to read everything on the site for your model, and it will tell you what you need to buy.

4. PinSound Studio | You may download the application for free here: https://www.pinsound.org/pinsound-studio. Also, you don't have to even have a PinSound board to use this. As a matter of fact, I had my first reorchestration fully developed using all of the tools before I had ever laid my hands on a PinSound board. At first it is a little confusing what PinSound Studio does. It is not an editing system, rather, it is a simulation system. It allows you to simulate/test what a game will sound like on you computer. To this, you need two basic components: one or more orchestrations and one or more psrec files specific to your pin. A psrec file is an event recording from actual game play on a pin. While the program comes with a few psrec files, you can get both psrec and orchestrations from the PinSound Community forums (see below). Alternatively, once you have installed your PinSound then you can capture and create your own psrec files. Why do this instead of just copying the files directly to your pin for testing? Simple answer - time. Orchestrations take a ton of work and require all sorts of listening to over and over to get it right. You do not want to have to continually go back and forth to your pinball machine to test every little change you make when you can do it in seconds from your PC. So, using PinSound studio, you install your orchestration(s), select your psrec file to use, select the orchestration you want to use, the press play. The software then visually crawls through the recorded event sequence, and you hear what your orchestration will sound like in real-time game play. You can see which sound file fires for which event and for what duration, which gives you critical information when designing specific game sounds.

5. A PinSound Community Account | You will want to register for a free http://pinsound-community.org account. Here you can download psrec files, default orchestrations for your pin, and custom orchestrations that others have posted. Just to be clear PinSound DOES NOT SHIP WITH SOUND FILES. I'm sure this is due to licensing constraints, so it is up to you to find/make your own sound files. While there is a methodology using a virtual pinball platform, I did not go that route and such is beyond the scope of this post. Also, not all pins have psrec files or orchestrations available. This is still a new product although it has been on the market for a few years. It is a combination of an enthusiasts designed, developed, and manufactured hardware solution along with a community supported sound development solution.

6. Your Pin's Default Sound Library | For most pins you will find this under the "Downloads" tab on the PinSound Community forum. Pins are listed by category, so you simply find yours, click on the appropriate link, agree that you own the pin, and download the zip file. By default, the zip file will contain everything you need but the audio file format will be OGG. I don't really know what this is other than a highly compressed audio format, but PinSound requires WAV files to work - sort of. If you want to develop your own orchestrations then you will need to work with WAV files. This requires that you convert the OGG files using the tool listed below. However, if you just want to play what others have already developed and not do any customizations, then no conversion is required. You simply copy the ZIP file you download to the provided USB driver, insert into your PinSound Board, turn you pin on and the PinSound will extract and convert the files as needed. Be prepared to wait as this can take 30 minutes or more for the first time. After the initial sound file installation, the PinSound may take 10-20 seconds upon each reboot of the pin before it is ready to go (it provided audible feedback so you know what is going on).

7. FRE:AC (Free Audio Converter) | If you are going to create your own customer orchestration then you will need this. You will use this tool to initially convert the entire contents of the orchestration structure that you download from OGG files to WAV files. This is crucial because this structure will contain every folder, sound file, and naming convention that is required for you to create your own orchestration. In other words, you will use the default sound structure as a template to your reorchestration. You only have to do this once per orchestration file that you download, and there is a good write-up on this process. To download click here: http://www.freac.org/index.php/en/downloads-mainmenu-33, and to see a walk-thru of the process, visit here: https://www.pinsound.org/sound-conversion.

8. Audacity | This is a powerful free audio editing tool available at http://www.audacityteam.org. I'm not going to go into step-by-step how to use the tool (although I will give a little more detail later on), but you can use this to do everything you need with sound files for the purposes of PinSound. In my case here is everything I used the tool for: capturing audio sounds and effects I wanted from various online playing, trimming and splicing audio files for content and length purposes, converting sound files to stereo, and exporting sound files to correct WAV format. While there is some art to mixing audio, for our basic purposes most anyone can do it with a little knowledge and practice. Pleas familiarize yourself with the software by accessing the online manual and watching YouTube videos.

9. Audacity Nyquist Effect Plug-ins | Audacity already has a ton of features and filters build in that you will use including normalization, fade outs, etc. However, it also supports plugins to achieve additional effects. The one additional plug I utilized was the Pseudo-Stereo effect. This allows you to take files that were originally mono, and create two channels with distinct waves (e.g. not just two identical mono channels). This is a free plugin that can be obtained here: http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Nyquist_Effect_Plug-ins

INSTALLATION
    - Hardware & Connections
    - Speaker considerations & wiring diagram
    - Audio Adjustments & Tweaking Sound (dials & settings)
    - Firmware Update | Information on updating the PinSound firmware is located here: https://www.pinsound.org/pinsound-board-firmware

HOW TO GET PINSOUND WORKING ON YOUR PIN

- USB Drive | All orchestrations must be place on a USB drive in a pre-defined order and format (see below for folder structure). The USB drive serves as memory for the PinSound, so it must always remained plugged into the USB port during operation.

- Default Orchestration | PinSound typically does not come with an orchestration, so you must download the sounds specific to your pin. The PinSound Forum has many default sound files (i.e. the original sounds of your pin) that you may download. Just navigate to the files section of the site at http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files, select your system, select your pin, then download the original orchestration. Unfortunately, original orchestrations aren't available for every pin, which is why the PinSound community needs to share their creations with others.

- Orchestration Installation |

Option 1 (simple/automatic) - After download, copy the zip file to the root of the USB drive, then put the USB drive into PinSound and turn on pin. Using this default method, the PinSound board will automatically extract the zip file, perform any file format conversion, and create the required folder structure. Along the way the PinSound will provide audio feedback regarding progress. One the install is complete, you simply reboot the pin and you are ready to go. This same method can be followed if you are installing just one or multiple sound files (do one at a time).

Option 2 (advanced/manual/custom) - Extract on your computer to perform the file conversion (default format from downloads is OGG, but you will need to convert to WAV files). Once extracted you will then need to use a tool like FRE:AC to perform batch OGG to ZIP conversion, then you will delete all of the original OGG files. Now that you have the entire file structure on your computer you are free to replace WAV files with new ones, add additional WAV files to sound folders, etc. (i.e. build a custom orchestration). When ready, you can then copy the entire parent orchestration folder under the "audio" folder on the PinSound USB. Doing this "installs" the orchestration, and it is now ready for use.

HOW TO CREATE YOUR OWN ORCHESTRATION
    - Acquiring sounds
    - Mixing sounds
    - Applying stereo effect
    - Sound duration
    - File formats
    - Folder Structure | The folder structure on your PinSound USB drive is normalized and must be followed for the PinSound to operate properly. Here is an example of what the file structure looks like on my USB drive with 5 different orchestrations (the original and four custom):

1. Root folder with "audio" (where all mixes go in sub folders), ".mix" this is created by PinSound for the current selected mix, and "config.ini"
    1.jpg1.jpg

2. Within the audio folder, each mix has it's own folder
    2.jpg2.jpg

3. Within each mix folder you have the sub folders for the sound categories
    3.jpg3.jpg

4. Within each category you have the individual sound folders
    4.jpg4.jpg

5. Within each sound folder you have the individual WAV sound file(s) - you can have more than one and they will be played randomly for that event
    5.jpg5.jpg

- To Convert to OGG or not
    - Testing on your PC (need .psrec files)
    - Special files

ODDS & ENDS
    - Headphones (installation, options)
    - Multiple Orchestrations Available
    - PinSound Forums
    - Config Files

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Nice but waaaaaay to complicated for me.

Doesn't have to be. Four screws, a couple of cables, download my mix (or any other you like) and you are ready to go. Well, also run the speaker harness, but that is easy.

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinwillie:

Great write up !!
    I'll be following
    I am now considering PinSound for my Getaway
    What speakers did you upgrade too?
    I read that stock speakers will work as well
    I'm sure there is a benefit to changing them out Right?

I need to lookup what I bought, but was based upon a very early post in the Getaway thread. Stock speakers will work, but for very little you can get better range and bass. Mine were trashed, so it was a no brained. Also, I will be replacing my right speaker with same size/type as left that will require a little modding in my case since current right speaker is smaller.

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Wow! Thanks - I was an early supporter of PinSound and even I_ didn't realise you needed to find additional psrec files. I was off to the races with my TZ and have just been using the original DCS sounds , but recently added another one and have been getting into creating custom sound schemes for my DW
    Another phenomenal edit suite is called "Reaper" and is only $50. It's as full-featured as Adobe Audition/CoolEditPro but better IMO. I like the interface a tad bit more than Audacity too

Great post. My intent here is not to be the sole authority, but to give a comprehensive overview from by experience. Other options, ideas, and opinions are always welcome.

Doubt that I can spend more time today, but hopefully in the next week or so I can fill in the outline.

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinwillie:

Great write up !!
    I'll be following
    I am now considering PinSound for my Getaway
    What speakers did you upgrade too?
    I read that stock speakers will work as well
    I'm sure there is a benefit to changing them out Right?

Here is what I got from http://partsexpress.com

#295-306- Dayton DC160S0-8 6.5" woofer (cabinet)
    #267-080 - Pyle PL53BL Blue Label 5-1/4" Triaxial Speaker Pair (left side)
    #267-770 - Pyle Wave PLX32 3-1/2" Coaxial Speaker Pair (right side)

When I bought these, the cost including shipping totaled $63. I actually have an extra new woofer that I would sell you, but with shipping may be close Parts Express price.

You must buy the speakers in pairs, and the 3-1/2" is limted so I'm going to use my other 5-1/4" to replace it.

2 weeks later
    #13 6 years ago

Well, I don't have a good answer for that. It seems that the 2 bros don't always take the time to document in detail. I know they have full time jobs in addition to this project, and seems like doing is more of a priority than documenting.

#15 6 years ago

Well, I normalized all of my original files in Audacity so haven't had to mess with this.

However, I assume that you would utilize gain files to achieve what you want. Not sure if you can use one in the root of a folder or if you need one in every single sound file folder. Seems hard to find info on gain format and values

Try created a "gain.txt" file and put it in the root folder of the sound type you wish to adjust (e.g. "voice" or "jingle"). Inside the file, from what I can infer you just type a numeric value between 1-20 (e.g. "10", "15", "20", etc.) I assume the higher the number, the higher the gain (e.g. sound amplitude). I also read somewhere that 10 is the standard setting, so maybe sub 10 lowers the gain? It is my impression that if you make these adjustments in PinSoound studio that it creates this file for you, but I've only read and not confirmed that.

I also found another note on an "undocumented" feature called ducking that you may want to try where you impact how everything relates volume wise to the music (don't know if this still works or not). Here is the link to that: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsound-tz#post-2378741

3 months later
    #17 6 years ago

Added a few updates to the guide. Still have much to flesh out, just been really busy and on other projects. I'm happy to integrate info from other contributors.

3 weeks later
    #20 6 years ago

Glad to hear. You are going to love it! Are you upgrading speakers and wiring for stereo?

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from FlippyD:

Anyone attempt adding PinSound to Whitestar yet? How was the experience? Definitely looks like a more complicated installation.

I've seen several posts asking about it, but I don't think I've seen anyone giving their experience of doing it. Not to say its not out there, but info is slow coming.

2 weeks later
    #25 6 years ago

Personally, I've only done mixes for my Getaway (Williams), albeit several of them. Also, I've used another custom mix from a member for Jurassic Park (Data East). Neither of these have what I think you are describing. Does the same thing happen if you record a normal game and then simulate with your orchestration in Pinsound Studio?

#31 6 years ago

Great detective work. Thanks for sharing your resolution.

1 week later
    #33 6 years ago

Thanks for the link. I've not seen this before.

2 months later
    #36 6 years ago

FYI, just updated initial post with videos of my various Getaway PinSound mixes.

1 week later
    #38 6 years ago

Glad you like them, and I hope they help people realize the potential of PinSound. Just wish my mic was better to do it real justice.

#41 6 years ago
    Quoted from Reznnate:

I see Mr_Tantrum you've got 5 mixes. How does Pinsound determine which mix is the primary/default?
    I'd like to control which mix it boots to initially.

By default it will take the folders in order (see my initial post for folder examples). From there, it always remembers your last mix selected, even after power off.

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from cyroute:

We just installed one of these in LOTR and all I can say is wow it was amazing with the latest remix done by a pinsider. I never really liked LOTR but that mix made me feel more immersed in the game. We wired the speakers in 2.1 and it sounds amazing. I have one in my World Cup Soccer but the custom remix on the pinsound site is not exactly seemless. I will be working on customizing my own thanks to this guide. I want to buy one for my BSD and Funhouse. I also want to get a getaway now so I can add one of these boards to it.

I’ve never done drugs, but can’t imagine they are half as addicting as PinSound!

2 weeks later
    #44 6 years ago

Just added my 8th custom Pinsound orchestration for the Getaway. Posted on Pinsound forum (approval TBD), and put a video on YouTube of game play (see initial post).

#46 6 years ago
    Quoted from Hazzard:

Hi!
    Working om my Frankenstein these days. Now, some of the sounds from the game is simply not present on the legacy mix I downloaded from pinsound.org.
    In pinsound studio, I can see it trigger sounds that are reported as missing files. Do you know how to make a folder belonging to the missing files? The code after missing files don't seem to resemble the normal folder codes... ,

That is a good question as I know Pinsound studio matches a psrec file to an orchestration you already have. I think what you have to do is to somehow extract/download the original sound ROM of the pin. A quick search led me to this (I've not tried this myself): https://www.pinsound.org/sounds-rom-file-extraction.

You can get the ROM you are looking from here (I think this is what you want): http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=947. Download the 2 MB zip file titled ROMs under the ROMs section. Unzip and there is a text file that tells you what each ROM file is. From there it looks like you can use the other tools listed to see the identity of all the sound events. After that, you just need to create an appropriately named folder and filename.

Sounds like some work and discovery, so please let us know how it goes for you. Sorry I am not much help since I've never done it, but intriguing process.

1 month later
    #53 6 years ago

How long have you waited? I believe it is a manual approval process, so it can take some time (maybe days). What mix are you after?

#56 6 years ago
    Quoted from rx3:

Oh I wasn't aware it took days. I just signed up yesterday. I'll give it some time. I just ordered a board and speakers which is on backorder, so I can wait to be approved. Specifically, I'm looking for the T2 orchestration, but would like to experiment with TZ, IJ, AFM and MB. Thanks!

If you don’t get approved in a couple of days PM me, and I’ll see what I can do to help.

#59 6 years ago
    Quoted from adamross:

Does anyone know if the Pinsound 2.0 boards have a switch for stereo/mono sound?

I don’t know but why? Original is stereo but depends upon your speaker system (my game was originally mono, but I rewired for stereo).

#64 6 years ago

One must realize that these are two creative pinball enthusiasts that invented PinSound, and they also have other full time careers. They are contributing significantly to the hobby, and my guess is they are having to license usage so there is an uplift to the pricing to cover that. It's not like they are making thousands of these things and people are lining up to buy them, so unit cost is of course high. You have to view this as a niche product, and is does require DIY and some technical aptitude to get it installed and working which is why the community is so important as it relates to creating orchestrations for the various pins.

I get it that price is significant to many, and that not everyone can afford one (especially if they want to install on multiple pins). Well, the same thing can be said for many things in life, and I'm sure we'd all like to live in mansions, drive exotic sports cars, fly in private jets, and only eat at the finest restaurants, and even though very few of us can afford such things the market still sets the price. Everyone has to make a personal evaluation whether or not there is a cost-benefit return to them and either buy it or don't. If you can find discounted units on the secondary market, then more power to you. It really doesn't take much aptitude to install one, and with a little tinkering with the sound tools you are off and running with your own custom orchestration, let alone simply download one that someone else has already created if available.

I get it, to each his own, and we wish that everything was cheap and/or free, but from my perspective the bros are providing a significant contribution to the hobby, doing it at a fair price, not getting rich off the deal (e.g. they still have to work full-time other jobs). They also take an active roll and attend multiple pin shows in the US and give discounts on merchandise when they come. It is my thread, so I don't mind stepping up on the soapbox now and then, but as always diverse opinions are welcome.

#66 6 years ago
    Quoted from Reznnate:

I appreciate all of this. I absolutely do.
    But I WISH WISH WISH the community was bigger.
    If it were possible for them to build/order more boards, perhaps they could lower the price per board and sell many more.
    Engaging more users on more games might help build out the community, support and the 'mixes' available.

I agree with what you are saying. I wish they could come up with some program to modestly compensate select independent "developers" to author custom orchestrations. The idea would be to build out as many pins as possible whereby broadening the appeal and making things pretty much ready to go out of the box. Sure the user would need to download their specific orchestration (PinSound could not distribute I'm sure due to music licensing), but this would make things simpler for everyone. I'm no ColorDMD company fan (I like the tech), but I believe they follow a process similar to this to get grow their colorized game offerings.

#69 6 years ago
    Quoted from Hazzard:

I have a feeling that pinsound will get more established this coming year. Really impressed with their work so far. The new board is reported to load faster and it should even sound better with better noise isolation and spec's.

I'm starting to see a pattern in your collection. What's your next theme . . . Werewolf, Mummy, Invisible Man. Hey there's an idea - invisible man made out of all clear acrylic.

Seriously, very cool that you're about done on the Frankenstein orchestration. Be sure to post some YouTube vids so we can all see/hear your work.

3 months later
    #83 5 years ago
    Quoted from ruzeo:

God forgive me. In honor of the thread "there should be a rap pin", I made an orchestration for the Getaway featuring 35 Lil Wayne songs. It is in no way polished but if you like Weezy its in a solid beta stage.

Well, going to have to change the rims on my Getaway Lambos to better go with a rap orchestration . . . just sayin'.

#84 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pbpins:

Just found this, great job!

Thanks. I've circled back several times, but still have some of my outline in the first post to finish. Thread came out of me learning everything on my own with bits and pieces from various places. I couldn't sleep one night, and waking up around 2:00 I figured, "why not author a guide for Pinsound?"

#86 5 years ago
    Quoted from bicyclenut:

Im a little confused. I have a Last Action Hero, and would like to create my own mix. Where or how to I find a psrec of Last Action Hero?

You can record,your own from gameplay: https://www.pinsound.org/recording

I would start by downloading an existing orchestration then use its structure to determine what sounds a required and how to name them: http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/category/68-last-action-hero

#90 5 years ago

FYI, my approach is to do things in phases. For example, focus on the music first and get all of it right. Second, the FX. Then the call outs, etc.

1 month later
    #102 5 years ago

From the sound quality perspective, the primary issue I could see is that you would need to tweak all of your Pinsound settings (bass/treble/balance/fade/etc.) appropriately to a given orchestration on your pin. I found that it can be a little tricky dialing things in because the sound from where you are standing up by the backbox turning knobs is surprisingly significantly different than from the playing position. Simple solution is to find a helper to turn knobs.

1 week later
    #107 5 years ago
    Quoted from jedi42:

How hard would this be?

Did you read my first post? Not "hard" but takes some time, tools, and trial and error. By all means, just d/l one of my orchestrations and convert it to .wav files (again, see my first post), then replace my .wav files with whatever you want.

#109 5 years ago

A psrec file is a recording of actual gameplay captured by PinSound on a pin equipped with it. I believe I have a couple of files I could send you, but due to my work scheduled would not be until tomorrow evening at the earliest (please PM me with your email address if interested). The only function of the psrec file (at least for me) is to simulate the progression of an actual game on your computer and hear how your orchestration will sound (is the volume right, is the clip too short, is it too long and gets cutoff, does it make sense, etc.). This methodology beats going back and forth and testing on the actual pin during your orchestration development.

Do you have to use it, no. If you want to take my wav files and base yours off them (e.g. open my files, see the duration and amplitude of the sounds, and adjust your's accordingly to be similar) then you could take this as your first approach and bybass the psrec files altogether.

6 months later
    #115 5 years ago
    Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

New PinSound user here, messing around with the board in a Twilight Zone. I've noticed that the amplitude of the entire Chris Granner DCS mix is too low, much lower than the amplitude of the Original Mix. Has anyone found a way to globally increase the amplitude of all wav files in the new mix? I want the amplitude to be about the same as the Original mix so I can switch back and forth between the two without readjusting the PinSound equalizer knobs or the game's volume buttons. I really don't want to open each wav file individually in Audacity in order to increase the amplitude.

Start here:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tantrums-guide-to-pinsound#post-3765428

Alternately to messing with the remix, just apply a global gain to the original mix.

#119 5 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Thanks - I need to watch video as thought old board is left in the game.

You can see how to mount with instruction & video on their website. You will remove/uninstall your current sound board and replace it by mounting the PinSound in the same location. Certain models require different mounting hardware for PinSound which is why you designate your platform when purchasing it. However, all of the PinSound boards are actually the same, regardless of in which pin you are installing it.

#121 5 years ago

Windows version is all I have seen on the site. Don’t see why it wouldn’t work with virtual Windows on a Mac.

2 weeks later
    #127 5 years ago
    Quoted from JohnJN:

question regarding the pinsound install - I have the drive preloaded from pinsound, installed the board and now it's been saying 'Checking sound files please wait' for almost half an hour - anyone else have this issue?

There is a quicker way . . . please see my first post.

#128 5 years ago

Alternatively, PM me and I'm happy to give you a link to download the JP drive fully ready to go.

#133 5 years ago
    Quoted from Dantesmark:

Yes... but hoping someone made a mix, and just never posted it to the site.

Is there something in particular you have in mind, or just want to make sure you have access to evaluate everything out there?

#135 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tommy-dog:

Getaway has the most mixes out of all the games. I wish the other titles had that many options. Everyone who owns a Getaway should get a Pinsound board. It is the best upgrade you can do on this title.

Agreed. I just think that the fast paced action and driving theme lends itself to a multitude of musical options verses many/most of the other pins. I also have a Jurassic Park and am using a slightly modified version of Endprodukt's work, but not much else that makes sense on that one other than the music used and sound clips from the movie.

#137 5 years ago

If you don't have time/ability to make your own, I might be willing to help. However, I would need you to designate artist and song for each of the events based upon the attached (note how some songs are used multiple times since the events are the same/similar).

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    3 months later
    #140 4 years ago

"PSS Pro" is a new tool coming, and I'm not exactly sure what all new features it will have (I'm guessing more advanced orchestration development, support for their new shaker, etc.) Looks like they've taken down PinSound Studio in preparation for the new application release.

So just so you understand, when it comes to creating orchestrations the key use of the current PinSound Studio is to simulate playback of a game using your selected orchestration (i.e. you don't actually create the orchestration, sound edits, etc. with PSS). Please see my opening post for direction on this.

I have PinSound Studio v.08 (not sure how old it is). If you PM me I can send you a download link. You don't actually have to install the app, just extract it to a folder and run it.

#143 4 years ago

As of today, 18.12.3 is the most recent firmware for both versions of PinSound.

Firmware downloads are on the product help pages (scroll down slightly to orange banner).

2 months later
    #155 4 years ago

Set your game to one ball per game and play several. Also, are you 100% sure there is not another event in the Music folder that is playing instead of the one you think?

#157 4 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Is there any specific method required for naming the songs within the folders? On the mixes I downloaded, I noticed that most of the song titles have a number before them such as "06-Paradise City". I'm assuming this is simply a reference to the track number on the album and doesn't have any bearing on how the PinSound board recognizes it.

Only the folder names are important. They must begin with the numerical value assigned (you can append anything descriptive after that). The filenames within a folder are irrelevant, so I usually name them something descriptive (e.g. the song they are, the effect, etc.)

#159 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

And if you really want to get pedantic, only the numerical part of the folder name is important. The actual text that follows can be whatever you want. Shorter is better though

Didn’t I say that? Well, you may have overlooked since I didn’t use a big fancy college word like “pedantic”. Surprised you didn’t say to keep the file name pithy.

#173 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

LOL. Ok, you did! I totally misread that sentence. And Apologies for the portentous post!

My comments were all in good fun, so glad you took them that way. Besides, we can all use a vocabulary lesson every so often.

#174 4 years ago

Whoever rips the initial orchestration seems to arbitrarily name the sounds whatever they want. I’m helping a fellow Pinsider with a Star Trek now, and the transporter sounds are named teleporter. Close, but come on, man.

2 months later
    #179 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

So to continue the discussion from the Getaway thread, was wondering about download speeds. As mentioned, whenever I use Pinsound Studio to copy the file to my USB, the upload on my Pinsound card is within a minute. I just tried copying a new orchestration directly onto the USB (bypassing Pinsound Studio) and the download took about 10 minutes. Have others found the same thing when using Pinsound Studio to download the files to the USB directly? Thanks.

That makes no sense. Data transfer is data transfer, and if you are transferring the same amount of data then it will take the same amount of time.

#186 4 years ago
    Quoted from Biglouie:

Installed new pinsound+ in my Getaway this evening, with new speakers, all I soured by this thread. Stunning difference.
    One issue I have, it won't boot up mr_tantrum BabyDriver orchestration.
    Even if I drop it stand alone in the usb in audio, it says it's not there.
    It came with it on the usb from pinsound, but never sees it. Techno works, sounds amazing.
    But others don't work, any tips that I could check? Tried a re download..
    Thanks for the inspiration and mixes !

Don't assume you have the most recent firmware. I would update it first to see if that resolves any issues you are having. Here is link for PinSound+ (I assume what you have). Scroll down to orange banner and follow the simple instructions.

#188 4 years ago

That seems really odd, and I'm not sure how to address it. All I can tell you is that I always do my extractions manually. I unzip them on my computer, convert the OGGs to WAV files using free:ac, delete the WAV files, then manually copy the folder to the USB:\audio\ folder and I'm up and running. I don't know if there is a simple t use converter for MAC or not, but all you have to do in free:ac is drag the parent folder of your orchestration into it, and it will pickup all files in all sub folders. Then just push the convert icon and it goes through and converts everything in just a couple of minutes. After that I do a file search for "OGG" in the parent folder and it picks up all original files which I then delete, thereby only leaving the WAV files. At this point the orchestration is ready to go so I copy the entire folder to the "audio" folder on the USB. Plug it in, and PinSound is ready to work since it doesn't have to do a conversion.

#194 4 years ago
    Quoted from Biglouie:

I do... I dont see any mention of it in Studio. Is ducking achieved through config files somehow, that are dropped into the folder structure? I cant find an example of one, thats all.

See here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tantrums-guide-to-pinsound#post-3765428

#199 4 years ago
    Quoted from Biglouie:

Thanks for this, had a read.
    I'll need to do some testing.
    Question is do you create a file called config.ini and dump it in the route of the orchestration with those settings
    ducking_jingle = 10
    ducking_sfx = 80
    ducking_voice = 65
    Or does the file need to be called something else.
    Extreme testing needed. If changing gain in studio creates these files for you, that would be good to check example of gain.txt
    I'll report back if I get a chance to pinch a Windows machine from one of my kids!
    I see a config.pinsound but cant seem to open it or read it. just a jumble of symbols ?

The config.ini file belongs at the root level of the USB drive (i.e. not in an orchestration sub folder). However, I do believe you can put settings files down to the sound file folder level (I've not done it), but don't recall off the top of my head what settings you can apply and what the file name needs to be. If you search hard enough on PinSide, you can probably find the answers (or just trial and error on your own).

You also have to be aware that PinSound Studio has changed significantly with PinSound Studio Pro. Many things no longer apply. The main emphasis of PSSP was to enable shaker programming, and many of the other features previously in PSS will make their way into the application in due time.

#202 4 years ago
    Quoted from Biglouie:

Thanks Mr Tantrum. I'll do some more reading...
    Is it worth hunting down a copy of the previous version in your opinion?

No, because it doesn’t work with the new formatting.

#203 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

No, because it doesn’t work with the new formatting.

The old version is useless now with the new formatting and newer firmwares. PinSound is in a transition now for the better, and we just have to be patient with PSSP development.

#207 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

So is it better to not update my card’s firmware if I don’t plan to use a shaker? Just worried it may screw up orchestrations I am already using. Thanks.

The problem will come if/when you start to share your orchestrations with others. Progress, my friend.

#208 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

unless one has held off on upgrading firmware! I wonder if it can be downgraded?hm..

Yeah, I kicked and screamed for a little bit, but finally got over it. I didn't have any legacy firmwares, so I was unable to test if downgrading works.

#210 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

All my orchestrations are on the Community site. Haven’t heard anyone complain about them not working ok. I thought they were updating all the orchestrations in the community?

They won't work with the shaker if they are in the old format. However, PinSound has gone through and converted them all (I think) to the new format.

#213 4 years ago
    Quoted from Biglouie:

Spending a bit of time organising the original sounds, to try and understand what they are and how long they are and how they are structured. EG a piece of music might be the same and used 3 times, but each has a different start, as its used in different places. All very cool.
    It would be great to understand where each piece of music plays. You can sort of pick that up from the folder names or the file names, but many are duplicates or with slight differences. Just trying to understand the soundscape that was originally constructed. I love a good "absolutely no need" project..
    mr_tantrum did you follow any process when you started out trying to understand how things fitted together? Deconstruction!

I created a runsheet for all of the music I use in each orchestration. Some is a little descriptive, but basically I just kind of know where the songs are played and how I want them to sound. Here's an example of my Getaway HS2 Techno orchestration.

#215 4 years ago

I've done full runsheets including shaker actions for each of my commissioned orchestrations. It really helps with knowing what is what, so to speak.

You'll find that some music and sounds are overkill timewise. Also, some SFX need to fall within the original time range or you'll end up cutting them off. Just takes trial and error.

I've definitely heard the electric sounds in the game, just can't recall exactly what triggers each of them.

#218 4 years ago
    Quoted from Biglouie:

mr_tantrum I was wondering about your screenshot above, where you list the tracks. How does the numbering work out for you? I have very loooooong numbers for each of my folders...You have lovely neat, 0000001-ball_in_shooter do the numbers matter as far as you know for Pinsound? I assume so right? Maybe you renamed somehow?

Sorry, my mistake, was in a hurry. That capture is from the old numbering system. The new numbers are much longer.

#221 4 years ago

Sure, just select the range of a track you want to modify and only apply the amplify effect to it instead of the entire track.

Fade works the same way, select the area you want to modify then apply the fade in or fade out effect to it.

#228 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

Thanks. Wish I knew about this when I ordered one of my Pinsound boards (before I bought the Stern). With the board its $40 extra, if I buy it separately its $130. Something to think about when you order the board, whether you may want to use it on a Stern one day. Get the Stern version and save yourself $90!

I would suggest you contact them. May be more to it than things appear, or could even be a mistake.

#231 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tres:

I installed the Pinsound 1 board in my lotr today and the external Subwoofer and cabinet speaker isn’t working anymore. The external sub is wired directly the sub in the cabinet.
    If I unplug the external sub, the cabinet speaker starts working and the overall sound is enhanced.
    Do I have to hook up the external sub differently with the PinSound board installed?

The PinSound board has an RCA out. You need to use this connection.

https://qa.pinsound.org/613/best-way-to-wire-powered-subwoofer?show=614#a614

2 months later
    #235 4 years ago

Yes, now would be a great time to see a multitude of new PinSound orchestrations drop.

#237 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

I would be great to see pinsound shaker mixes done.
    Im having a terrible time sorting mine out.

PM me with details and maybe I can help.

#243 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

I have a Pinsound+ board in my IJ. I’m debating between a Pinsound+ shaker and a pinshaker shaker motor. Any thoughts? Is the Pinsound shaker easy to install? Thank you.

I would highly recommend the PinSound shaker as I have them both in my Getaway and Jurassic Park. If there is already a shaker routine for your game then it is plug and play as long as you have updated PinSound firmware. If not, with no experience you can install the software, make a routine, and be up and shaking in less than an hour. The PinSound Shaker is triggered by sound events and you can assign one of 9 preprogrammed shaker routines plus 3 custom routines you define.

I’ve done 6 or 7 different shaker routines for various pins, and I think PinSound is using 5 of mine as their default. Cool thing is that anyone can easily modify any existing routine to their liking with the free software in a matter of just a few minutes. Funny thing is that I swore to myself that I didn’t need a shaker in any of my games. Guess what, now I have shakers in all three, and two are PinSound (the other is factory AFMr LE).

The physical install is a snap. Comes with simple instructions and a hole template. Run the cable up to the Control board in the backbox that plugs into the PinSound and you’re all done.

#245 4 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

Who is doing a DM remix?

Looks like you're the man. If you get to the point where you have ideas but not the desire/ability/time to execute, my services are always for hire. It does take some collaboration on the part of the one paying for me to do the mix since I don't have the pin, but I've actually done several mixes this way. You can PM me if you are interested in learning more.

#246 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

Does IJ have a shaker routine available? If so, where?

All of the shaker routines are embedded in the PinSound firmware and orchestration. Here is the list of current shaker routines already released and IJ is on there: https://www.pinsound.org/motion-control

Just install the shaker, make sure your PinSound has updated firmware, download one of the custom orchestrations from the PinSound community forum (or the default one), and you should be golden.

#247 4 years ago

FYI, here is a basic video on how to create/modify a PinSound Motion Control Shaker routine using the free PinSound Studio Pro - Yes, it is really that simple. While a basic shaker routine can be created in just a few minutes, the time, skill, and art all come in tweaking everything to your exact liking.

#248 4 years ago

BTW, to those of you who have created complete shaker routines from games not currently on the list, I highly suggest you PM PinSound and let them know that you are willing to share. They will add support for it in the firmware for everyone to enjoy. This is what I did for my two personal games (Getaway & DE Jurassic Park), and three games that I was commissioned to create routines for where the buyers gave me permission to share (Batman Forever, DE Star Trek, and Terminator 3).

1 month later
    #255 3 years ago

So I made a Pink Floyd and a Queen version of MB.
    How do I get both on USB?
    I did put both on but volume only goes as low as 8 on MB and it's supposed to be 0 to switch files?
    Thanks

So, you put both orchestration folders in the "audio" folder on the USB, right? If this is the case then you can switch between them exactly like you stated - use the service buttons (or headphone station if you have it), and turn the volume to 0. You will hear a chime and a 5 second preview of the newly selected orchestration. Turn the volume back up to normal and play.

If you can only lower volume to 8 then you need to change the min volume setting in service modes.
    A.1 28 Minimum Volume Override | Yes (default is NO)

#259 3 years ago

I did all of above. Two folders in audio folder. Vol down to zero.
    Not switching to second version which is only 84mb instead of 1.03GB like the first.
    Presume Pinsound shrunk the second file?

Quoted from DeathHimself:

All the files have to be wav files, wavs are uncompressed.

Indeed. Delete the small folder from the USB, then you have 2 options:

1. Take the zip file of the second orchestration and copy it to the root of the USB. PinSound will automatically extract, convert the files, and create the second folder. This may take several minutes.

2. Unzip folder on your computer, and use FREE:AC to batch transform everything to WAV, After conversion do a search for *.OGG in folder and sub folders then delete the OGG files, then manually copy folder to “audio” folder on USB.

#261 3 years ago

Only WAV is supported, but most of us who create orchestrations convert them to .OGG files simply for compression purposes when posting to the PinSound Community site in order to make for faster transfers.

1 week later
    #263 3 years ago
    Quoted from scootss:

Please redirect me if this is the wrong place to ask...
    I have a new-to-me Jurassic Park that came with a pinsound board. It is amazing!
    ...but I have two minor issues...
    1) Every 5 or so times I turn the game on, I get no sound. I hear the pinsound tone during the diagnostics but then get no game sounds. If I turn it off and back on, everything works correctly.

2) During the intro animation before the first ball, I get an overlapping callout. Hammond says "welcome to jurassic park" and while that happens I get another overlapping sound - rotates between malcom, hammond, or something else.
    Any thoughts?

1. Update the firmware (first determine if it is PinSound 1 or PinSound + by looking at the board)
    PinSound 1 | https://www.pinsound.org/help/pinsound-1-help
    PinSound + | https://www.pinsound.org/help/pinsound-plus-help

2. Put the USB drive that is in the PinSound in your computer, then delete all folders contained under the "audio" folder. Now download and install Endproduct's JP orchestration from the PinSound Community Forum: http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/234-jp-ost-endprodukt

To install, simply place the downloaded zip file into the root of the USB. Put it back into the PinSound board and wait for the installation (you will hear progress messages).

Once you've done both of the above, report back any issues you may be having.

As a FYI, always turn off the pin before removing the USB, and install the USB while the pin is off. The USB must be installed for the PinSound to work.

#265 3 years ago

I would do them one at a time - firmware first. What should happen is you will hear a voice stating that the firmware is updating, and then it will tell you when done. If you copy the firmware file to the root of the drive, start the process, and you hear nothing then you have a legacy firmware and cannot upgrade it with the normal process. If this occurs, please PM me and we can discuss options.

#268 3 years ago
    Quoted from scootss:

I did the firmware first and then did the sound package separately - both gave the appropriate auto prompts and seemed to indicate that everything worked properly. Unfortunately, I still have the same two issues.
    Issue 1 - No sound - Happened on my second reboot. Video Below.
    Issue 2 - Overlapping sounds as the game starts - I looked at the files on in the endprodukt mix and I see "3987710727-to_jurassic_park." When I play that on my computer, as the name suggests, it just says "to jurassic park" (no "welcome). So I suppose that is why it seems like part is getting cut off... but I also get a different sound overlapping at the same time - which seems to be randomly selected. Video Below - you can hear it right around :23.
    Thanks again for all the help. Minor niggles, but would love to get it perfect

If I recall, the welcome to JP is actually 2 files that are called in sequence. I can check tomorrow for sure.

Just watched your vid, and there is a bad lag. What USB drive are you using? Also, since the pin did go through a move, I would check all of the ribbon cables connected to the PinSound at both ends (would suggest you remove and reseat them).

#279 3 years ago
    Quoted from Kobaja:

OK I'm having a problem I cant explain.
    I am trying to modify the techno version of the getaway mix of mr_tantrum with the SFX and VOICE from spblat
    This is what i did:
    1. Donwloaded the package to my USB
    http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/211-getawayhs2_techno_mrtantrum/
    2. installed it on the machine. worked.
    3. removed USB stick with all the uncompressed *.wav
    4. removed the the SFX folder and replaced with the SFX folders from spblat which I found at https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin/page/205#post-5413080
    5. I replaced the *.wav of the VOICE folders in tantrums mix with the "stereo-dized" callouts from spblat found at https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin/page/203#post-5396830
    6. I opened the USB stick with pinsound studio and saw that all assetts are linked to the events.
    7. saved and installed in pinball machine
    Result: only the music is playing...
    What am i doing wrong?
    What I want to achieve is have mr_tantrum s techno remix as a base, exchange the SFX and callouts with the ones from spblat
    Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Your issue is because you replaced the SFX folder. Most likely his mix did not have the same folder naming convention that mine did, which would cause it not to work.

BTW, all of my callouts and effects are already "stereoized" in all of my mixes, so there is no need to replace them to get a stereo effect. However, if there are some custom/different effects you would like to replace or add to for random play, then you need to copy the individual files into the folder structure of my mix (i.e. do not change folder names or add folders with different names (the number portion at the front). The Pinsound config file for each orchestration is married to the specific structure, so if you change it the new folders will not be utilized by the PinSound.

In response to your second post, if the effects are now too quite it is because the other mix was not normalized to my volume levels. Now you will need to create a config file with an entry to amplify the sounds in that folder. I can't remember if you can do it by folder or if you have to do a config for each individual sound file.

#280 3 years ago

Great news, btw if you are editing it on the PC and it's already converted in wav format there is no need to repack it and have the pinsound board take 20 minutes or so just to unpack and convert it again, just drag and drop the sound package directory onto the usb drive in "audio" directory while on the pc and then insert it into the pinsound board. Saves a lot of time.

Yes, I've been trying to explain this to people for years now. WAV file is the only format PinSound recognizes. The reason many of the orchestrations are in OGG format is simply due to the high compression which makes for quicker uploads/downloads to/from the hosting site. Once converted to WAV either by you manually doing in on your computer (how I always do it.) or allowing the PinSound to unzip the file and perform the conversion you NEVER have to go back to OGG nor zip the orchestration. Simply copy the entire folder structure to the "audio" folder on your USB.

#283 3 years ago
    Quoted from loren3233:

I was hoping someone could assist me with a question on Indiana Jones Pinsound.
    Installed a Pinsound+ board and have the pin and sound working. I do have an external sub hooked up and made some sound adjustments on the board and all seems to work well so far.
    My question during game play is : Starting multi ball the first shot is the left ramp (light jackpot) the next shot would be to hit the right ramp (jackpot). After hitting the left ramp I then get a clean, crisp announcement to shoot the right ramp when I hit the right ramp to collect the jackpot there is no announcement of JACKPOT at all. It seems there should be a callout for making this shot or by chance is this how Endprodukt wanted this part of the sound system? Does anyone have any idea?
    Thank you,
    Loren

Unfortunately, I don't have access to a IJ to test. What occurs if you use the original sound package on PinSound? This will at least tell you if the sound is not there to start with or if something is amiss with Enproduckt's orchestration.

#285 3 years ago
    Quoted from JDub03:

Finally got my Pinsound + board today. It's amazing in my Tommy. I have one question that may sound ridiculous, do the sound edits have any effect on the lighting triggers? Specifically on Tommy and the backbox lighting. I feel like I was just flashed to death and can't recall every having that issue before. Maybe it's my imagination, thoughts?

It was your imagination, but PinSound really brings a new experience to the game so maybe your senses where heightened.

#288 3 years ago
    Quoted from JDub03:

Mr_Tantrum, thank you for your knowledge and time on the Pinsound topic. I have read most of the posts on here before I ordered my board. You have been a huge help.

You’re welcome.

#289 3 years ago
    Quoted from loren3233:

Mr_Tantrum, I have not tried that. I downloaded Enproduckt's orchestration and installed it. First time installing a Pinsound board and was excited that I was able to get it all working without screwing something up. I will research into trying the original package like you mentioned (hopefully I don't screw something up) but will give it a bit of time to see if any IJ owners get back to the question above.
    Thank you for the assistance Mr_Tantrum

You can have multiple orchestrations on a USB. Just lower volume to 0 to switch between them.

#296 3 years ago
    Quoted from loren3233:

Oh Wow, I had no idea. I will download the original and try that for sure and after you mentioned this I went to the website to figure out how to do this and see I need to install the head phone system so I have another project to do though it looks simple. Funny, you mentioned this and I went to the coin door, lowered the volume to zero and nothing then checked the website
    Thank you for the information.

The service switches will perform this function, but it is much easier with the external headphones station (which I highly recommend). If you have more than one orchestration when you get volume to 0 you will hear a chime and a 5 second clip of the newly selected orchestration. You then need to turn the volume back up to normal to play. Repeat the process to cycle through all orchestrations you have on USB.

#306 3 years ago

As a FYI, all of my orchestrations contain normalized sound files across music, SFX, Voice, etc. (Audacity is a great tool for this). However, others may normalize at different amplitudes that what I use, so you may have to change volume levels when switching from one of my orchestrations to someone else's.

As far as multiple orchestrations go on a single USB, I've had as many as 10 at once, and run 5 or 6 now with no issues whatsoever. However, more orchestrations on the drive means longer boot times. I rarely switch orchestrations during a game, but depending upon my mood I'll switch before/in between games. The external PinSound Headphones Station is a must have for this application. Even if you never use headphones, the ability to change volume and switch orchestrations from an external dial is so much better than having to open the coin door and use the service buttons.

The key to having multiple orchestrations on a single drive is to make sure you 1) have the latest firmware, and 2) have downloaded the orchestrations recently (say within the last 6 months or so). As a result of the new shaker, there was a period where the orchestrations changed formats. The old format doesn't play well with the newer firmware revisions in my experience, so you need to make sure everything is updated.

Regarding the extension cable, I too do this in my games. I run a 6' USB 3.0 cable from the PinSound, down into the cabinet where I can easy access it from the coin door. This makes like so much easier when doing anything that requires removal of the USB. Now, instead of having to pull my pin out, remove the backglass, and mess with things, I simply open the coin door and there's the USB drive.

#308 3 years ago
    Quoted from scootss:

Installed the new UBS 3.1 drive as suggested. Unfortunately, I'm still having the same problem with the overlapping/incorrect "welcome to jurassic park" callout. You can see it at the end of this video. In this example it sounds like "relax, try and enjoy yourself to jurassic park"
    It does seem like mr_tantrum is on to something with it being multiple files...
    the folder "1537147979-welcome" has 7 files in it - image attached - but none of them are just "welcome"
    the folder "3987710727-to_jurassic_park" has just "to jurassic park"
    So I get one of those 7 files + "to jurassic park" every time.
    I haven't modified the endprodukt version at all, so I would suspect everyone would be having this issue.
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks!
    -S

[quoted image]

PM'ing you.

#310 3 years ago
    Quoted from loren3233:

This caught my eye this morning and corrected the credit dot issue as well as the "Jackpot" issue I was having after install. I had not realized that you could update the firmware on the Pinsound board itself and the board I installed was purchased a year and a half ago (finally got around to installing it) so I would assume it was well out of date for current firmware.
    Thank you for bringing this to my attention Mr Tantrum and hopefully this post can help any others that may have the same issue I was experiencing.

Awesome, glad you were able to resolve your issue.

#313 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

One trick I have mentioned before, if you use Pinsound Studio to copy the file to the USB, it eliminates the 30 minutes, etc. to upload a new orchestration to the Pinsound card. You upload the orchestration you want to Pinsound Studio and then save it to the USB with the program. Then the orchestration will load within 30 seconds on the Pinsound card when installed in the pinball machine. It does take likely 5-10 minutes to save the file on the USB, but I rather be sitting in front of the computer than standing around waiting for the game to load on the Pinsound card. Also, I find loading directly on the Pinsound card seems to take a lot longer.

Doing it manually on the computer with FRE:AC is a much quicker process. I've typed it up before, but at some point I just need to take the time and make a video for everyone. Couldn't be any simpler or quicker than this way.

#318 3 years ago
    Quoted from RobF:

Does anybody know how to load a psrec file into the current version of Pinsound Studio? All the search results I have found have pointed to previous versions of the software which had an "advanced" tab for this.

PinSound Studio Pro does not currently support PSREC playback. However, I'm in fairly regular contact with Nicolas, and he tells me that it is close to being ready for beta testing. No definite ETA, but it is being worked on and will eventually be implemented.

#320 3 years ago

I know the brothers have had their hands full with family obligations these last several weeks.

Not going to make excuses for them, but try to have some patience. Web submission should be a good way to contact or PM here on PinSide, but response will be delayed.

#326 3 years ago
    Quoted from RobF:

Yeah I can completely understand that. I didn't mean to put you in a place to have to give an explanation. My point was, for a first time time customer it wasn't a pleasant experience having a black hole for support for a new product that didn't work correctly out of the box. If I hadn't figured it out on my own I would have certainly sent it back for a refund and been sour on the product. I only mentioned to you in the case you could pass along feedback that the approved method of support seems broken and if isn't the right way to get help, then they should update their website.
    In any case, a general thanks to you for taking the time to help folks on Pinsound's behalf.

That all makes sense. Just as a reminder to the newbies to this thread, in no way do I officially represent PinSound, nor do I receive any compensation from them. I'm just a guy who loves and appreciates what PinSound brings to these pins. I have two pins that PinSound supports, and in them I've gone all out with PinSound boards, PinSound shakers, PinSound speakers, PinSound Headphone Stations, and one of my games has the PinSound DMD controller in it.

I've literally developed dozens of PinSound orchestrations for both my games and a multitude of other games commissioned by other owners. Additionally, I've done several shaker routines for both of my games and several others as commissioned, and many of my shaker routines are now embedded by default into the PinSound firmware. I'm happy to share what I've learned over the last few years with others to hopefully enhance their experience, as well.

I do all of this as a hobbyist, who happens to love the PinSound products. They bring new life to old pins, and IMO are the first upgrade any owner should consider if they want to enhance and improve the game playing experience. I have no special connection to the PinSound brothers, other than them being aware of my passion for their products. We informally correspond every few weeks both regarding their products as well as personal matters. My main intent in my relationship with them is to genuinely express my gratitude and encouragement for what they are bringing to the pinball community, as well as offer constructive criticism where applicable (obviously, they are free to take it or leave it - which they have done both at various times).

It is important to know that this is not their full-time gig. They are pinball enthusiasts with knowledge, skill, and passion as it relates to electronics, software development, and pinball. They are offering something quite unique to pinball, whereby they take a hybrid approach. They provide technically advanced products and tools, but it is up to the community to actually develop the orchestrations for the various games. There are both pros and cons to this approach, but to me it is the best of both worlds. We get a professional product platform, yet we as owners get to apply are creativity to it (I wish the could be said for other pinball enhancements, e.g. color DMDs just to name one). The downside is that it takes time as a community to develop a good orchestration library, and I would say that many/most either don't have the skill, time, or desire to learn how to do audio editing to the level required to produce a good orchestration for a game. Even so, people in this position still have options to enhance the OEM orchestration using PinSound, to encourage the community of owners of a given pin to work together, or to even commission (i.e. pay money) and work with people like me to create them.

#336 3 years ago
    Quoted from scootss:

RE: not getting any sound ocasionally...

New flash drive, new files, latest firmware...same issue. Occasionally, I hear the boot.wav sound and then when the game starts...no sound.
    Not sure what else I can try. The good (bad/sad) news is that now the kids know they should reboot it if they don't hear "welcome to jurassic park"

Have you completely reseated all of the cables at both ends? Also, I think I read earlier that your 5v was constant and good, but if you've not tested this you need to using the 5v port on the PinSound.

DE games (at least JP) are notoriously known for their weak power when adding on additional options. I don't know what if any mods you have installed that draw power, but this could potentially be your issue. I have an additional power supply in my JP that feeds power to all of my other mods and don't seem to have an issue. Also, what about your POT volume control? Do you have any issues with it, or do you have the PinSound headphones station installed which takes it out of the mix.

#337 3 years ago
    Quoted from Kobaja:

mr_tantrum do you have experience with pinsound speakers vs. theflipper fidelity pinsound kits(using a pinsound card of course) ? I ahve a monster bash here and dont quite know which to order. based on price it would beflipper fidelity in the US, but then again its more about quality and performance than price.
    do you have hands on experience?

Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with the Flipper Fidelity speakers. I know they have a great reputation, so I don't think you could go wrong with them. I will say, however, that the PinSound speakers are quite good. There is a definite quality difference between them and the quality aftermarket car speakers I had installed before in my Getaway. As a result, I also bought a set for my Jurassic Park.

I can definitely recommend the PinSound speakers based on experience, but I cannot firsthand compare them to the FF ones.

#347 3 years ago

It will randomly play all files in the folder, name structure doesn’t matter it’s totally random.

Affirmative. The only thing that must remain unchanged is the numerical portion of the folder name the files are placed in.

#351 3 years ago

I've done several shakerizations for PinSound for the two games I own (Getaway and Jurassic Park) along with 4 or 5 others that people commissioned me to do. Others and I submit these to PinSound, and upon their approval they are embedded into the firmware release. Therefore, if you install a PinSound Shaker and the firmware includes a routine for that game, then it will automatically adjust your pinsound.config file to enable the shaker routine. I don't fully understand how it all works (Nicolas is keeping his proprietary methodology secret), but it is really cool. Additional shaker routines are being added all of the time.

From this point, you can just open the orchestration in PinSound Studio Plus and change anything you like related to the shaker routine (you should save the original pinsound.config file in case you want to return to the default). You can only have one shaker routine per orchestration, but you can have a different routine for each orchestration if you wanted.

For games that do not have an OEM shaker routine yet, the community can still create them and submit to PinSound for review (they may or may not be embedded in an upcoming firmware).

#360 3 years ago
    Quoted from Boat:

No, they are wav files.
    The Pinsound forums have a goldeneye original mix. It’s already in wav. That extracts and loads to the game perfectly fine.
    But when I start copying wav files directly to the USB it doesn’t like it.
    Shouldn’t I just be able to copy them directly to my Pinsound USB?
    The only way that seems to work is creating a zip of my mix and loading it.
    Sorry for being a pain, also, I’ve been reading up just no luck

This makes no sense at all. You can copy WAV files directly to the USB whether you are copying an entirely new orchestration or if you are just overwriting or adding to an existing file in one of the folders. I've done it literally hundreds of times on two different games for years on all versions of firmware. PinSound wants a WAV file and it doesn't care how it was copied to the USB as long as it is in one of the orchestration folders. It has no way of knowing how a file was copied to the drive, and when it boots it basically indexes the folder structure every time.

You are rebooting your pin every time you remove the USB, copy a file to it, and re-insert it, right?

#362 3 years ago

Update your firmware before doing anything else. Also, you might want to reformat the USB (FAT 32).

#367 3 years ago

When you check the packages that already had shaker routines in it, did you verify that you heard the shakers ready tune on boot up? I know every so often when I boot up that the shaker doesn’t ready up and need to reboot again until I hear it.

Funny, I hate the shaker boot tune since it interferes with the PinSound boot sound. Since I find it quite annoying, I've asked Nicolas to please remove it but I guess I'm not the boss of him

#372 3 years ago

If you add a boot.wav file to the audio folder on your PinSound USB then it will play upon boot instead of the default chimes.

For the shaker, it uses its vibration frequencies to play a chime when it boots. However, this "feature" was added on later firmware versions. At this point, I've not upgraded my Getaway to the latest firmware since I don't want the shaker to make sound on boot like my Jurassic Park does with a newer firmware.

#381 3 years ago

Scroll to the bottom, and you will see a list of games that have shaker routines in the firmware thus far: https://www.pinsound.org/motion-control

If you have developed your own then you can manually apply it to other orchestrations as long as the naming convention used is exactly the same as the orchestration you used to build your shaker routine. All you have to do is copy the PinSound.config file from your orchestration to the one you want to apply it to on the USB. However, this will not work if the destination orchestration uses a different folder naming structure.

#404 3 years ago

So, I just downloaded the original orchestration from PinSound for Dr. Who, and the shaker routine is NOT embedded in the pinsound.config file. Therefore, the PinSound board with the latest firmware must generate it. I believe the procedure is to copy the zip file to the root of the USB, power on, and let it do the work of creating the orchestration folder and assigning the shakerization to the pinsound.config file.

You may have already said all of this, but I got behind on reading all of the posts you've put up. Have you tried deleting the pinsound.config file from the zip before you copy it to the USB. I don't recall if PinSound does this, but I'm curious if it might build the file from scratch and embed the shaker calls.

A couple of other clarifications:
    - Their are two ways to apply a shaker routine: 1) (I think this is how it works) It is embedded in the PinSound firmware which then updates the corresponding pinsound.config files when an orchestration is extracted on the USB, and 2) You take a known pinsound.config file that has a shaker routine built into it and copy that file to the folder of another orchestration for that same game with the same naming folder name structure.
    - PinSound does not create its own orchestrations or shaker routines. However, they do ask known and trusted PinSound supports, such as myself, with a proven history of creating orchestrations to also create shaker routines. Additionally, I assume anyone else can submit a shaker routine, but not sure what QC PinSound puts them through. They then embed the shaker routines for these games into the firmware which creates/edits the corresponding pinsound.config files.

If you just can't get it to work, then it's probably time to submit a detailed description of the issue to PinSound.

#409 3 years ago

Okay finally did get a reply and if I read it correctly, they did remove the shaker chime in this firmware update. In the upcoming firmware update it will be user's choice whether to have the shaker chime enabled or disabled.

Glad Nicolas listened to my input, and he even went a step further by allowing the user to choose if the chime plays or doesn't. I truly appreciate the PinSound brothers and how they approach things. They design and produce first-class technology mods, but then actually weigh and consider the input from users. Doesn't mean they always do everything we ask, but they do listen, evaluate, and implement if user suggestions are beneficial.

#411 3 years ago

Actually might have read it somewhat wrong before coffee this morning, it will be adjustable in the next pinsound studio software release not firmware lol. Hey either way it still works out for everyone. Here was his exact reply.
    "Hi Mike,
    Are you talking about the "shaker chime sound" that is played at startup?
    If yes, that's a feature that will be able to enable / disable in a next
    release of the PinSound Studio.
    In the actual firmware, it's disabled.
    Thanks for your feedback, I do appreciate it
    Have a good day,
    Nicolas"

Yes, that is what I assumed when I read your statement.

#414 3 years ago
    Quoted from Globalcop:

Anyone done anything with Cirqus Voltaire yet?

Doesn't look like any custom orchestration is available. Several months ago I was helping a guy get started, but I guess nothing ever materialized. I don't know if someone has done one, but just hasn't posted to the community site, or if one doesn't exist yet.

#420 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

Is the old Pinsound Studio still available online? Don't really like the new version. Thanks.

No, but the old version is not compatible with the new format, so suck it up.

#422 3 years ago
    Quoted from Boat:

Is there a way to prevent overlapping voice/sfx tracks?

What do you mean exactly?

Part of doing an orchestration sometimes is making your replacement clips about the same duration of the originals.

#424 3 years ago
    Quoted from scootss:

I wanted to share what I am seeing in case it helps with the diagnosis...
    For me, it is not limited to the machine sitting idle for a while, coming up without sound, and then the sound working upon reboot.
    In fact, I've found the sound is LESS likely to work when I am playing for a while then I turn the machine off and then immediately turn it back on. (usually because I give into the kids saying "just one more game" ) Most of the time I get will get no sound in that scenario.

A few basics for troubleshooting all PinSound function irregularities.

- reformat or try a different USB drive, making sure FAT 32 is the format, and USB 3.0 or above.
    - make sure you have updated to the latest firmware and are running a new/recent version of the orchestration(s)
    - double check all physical connections (I would reseat all cables at both ends)
    - most importantly, put a meter on the 5V output on the PinSound and monitor voltage. Don’t just check it once, but hook the meter up and boot the pin watching if/how much it fluctuates, when, and what the range is.

Doing these initial steps will greatly help save time and troubleshooting when reporting issues to PinSound.

#428 3 years ago
    Quoted from scootss:

Thank you, as always. I have completed 1 & 2 (no help), but will try 3 & 4 and report back.

Not saying that any of these will solve your issue, but they are important initial troubleshooting steps giving you info to provide to PinSound when you report your issue.

I also encourage the use of the PinSound Q&A when searching for and/or reporting issues: https://qa.pinsound.org

Again, I don't represent PinSound nor am I compensated by them in any way. I'm just giving my opinions as an end-user based upon experience and what I know has helped others.

#434 3 years ago
    Quoted from Boat:

Do you guys highly recommend the pinsound speaker kit? I have the stock sega speakers, they sound decent . I will probably throw in the pinsound ones just to know but wanted to hear your thoughts?

I do. In one of my games, I went from stock DE to the PinSounds, and they were a significant improvement. In my other game, I went from budget aftermarket speakers that were much better than my OEM, but the PinSound ones added even more bass and clarity.

Of course, if you are only going to use the default orchestration in your game instead of a new remix, then new speakers aren't going to make much of a difference since the OEM orchestrations are lower quality to begin with.

#442 3 years ago

Now, how do I trick the pinsound into enabling the embedded shakers on my custom mixes?
    They have done an excellent job on these.
    Theres got to be a way to use them on all mixes.

As long as your mixes have the same naming convention regarding the folder structure, just copy the PinSound.config file from the orchestration with the working shaker into the orchestrations you wish to apply it to. However, if your custom orchestrations have a different naming convention, you're going to either have to redo them, go through the process of manually renaming them, or note all of the settings of the working orchestration in PinSound Studio Pro then manually apply the same settings to your custom orchestrations of a different naming convention.

#443 3 years ago

Looks like we are still on PinSound Studio Pro v19.09.3, so I would assume the jingle is probably still there and there is not yet a control to enable/disable it. Of course, just speculation on my part.

#448 3 years ago

If you have not done so already, before doing any mods to the orchestration you need to upgrade to the latest firmware and download the OEM orchestration again if you've not done so in about 6 months or so as the conventions have changed.

You must manually create the config.ini file if you want to set the switch to create a psrec file. However, right now psrec files are useless since the functionality in PinSound Studio Pro has been deprecated (at least for now).

#451 3 years ago
    Quoted from Nihonmasa:

aaah ok
    So how can I know what length should be each stuff? :-s
    Should have the latest firmware as only downloaded a few days ago.
    For the config.ini, what should it include?
    Only hoping I did not buy an expensive board for a specific purpose that can be reached anymore.. Bought the deported headset plug and speakers as wel....

I’m sorry, but I’m not quite understanding some of your questions. If you are talking bout how long the current sounds are, you can open them in any third party audio player. You can also load the original orchestration that you download from PinSound Studio Pro and play them.

You don’t currently need a config.ini file on the USB.

#453 3 years ago

Sometimes, some of the original sounds are missing for whatever reason on some games. I don't know if this is part of the original extraction process or not. So, when you say random sounds/music are not playing:

1) Are these sound on the OEM sound board that played, but on the PS they do not?
    2) If so, when you put the USB in your computer and look through the folders do these sounds even exist or are they there?
    3) Is it the same sounds that never play, or does a particular sound sometimes play and other times does not?

#460 3 years ago

Yes, consistent 5V power is a must. This can be measured with a meter connected to the 5V output connectors on the PinSound board.

Also, disconnect and reconnect all ribbon cables make sure everything is pinned correctly and making good contact.

Unfortunately, I don't see any custom Radical orchestrations on the PinSound Community site to try, so we are stuck with just he OEM one. You might post in Radical owners thread to see if anyone has done one they would share. Would give us a comparative orchestration to test with.

#469 3 years ago
    Quoted from Boat:

How do you normalize right now?
    I can't remember if it was on this thread but you can search .wav files , copy them to a drive. Normalize them all via macro. The tough part is writing everything back but I bet I could write a script for that.

Personally, I manually do it as I'm creating all of my sound files in Audacity. I want the light blue to be between +/- 3.5, and sometimes I do have to crop the peaks, but it is unnoticeable in playback.

I do this using the built in Amplify effect. You just have to experiment with the New Peak Amplitude setting, but you get the hang of it rather quickly.

If you do it as you are making the sounds, then you don't have to go back and "normalize" later.
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#475 3 years ago

That’s great. When you are finished it would be great if you shred by uploading it to the PinSound community forum site.

#477 3 years ago

Well, you can do it but if you choose not to then that is your decision. No judgements here, just trying to grow the library for new games not done yet. As you can see, I (and others) have just about done everything we can for Getaway with 30 different orchestrations available: http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/category/22-getaway (my orchestrations alone have had about 2,650 downloads). Would love to see other games have custom orchestration options, although nothing else will probably reach Getaway levels.

I've also done several for other pins that people have commissioned me to do, and in those cases since they paid me I always give them the decision to share or not. Some choose to share on the site, some do not, and some choose to share directly for a nominal fee to recoup some of their costs.

#486 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

Question about Pinsound Studio Plus. In the original version of Pinsound Studio, you could do the conversion of the orchestration within the software and save it to USB, so when you loaded the file into your machine, you did not have to wait the 30 minutes to download the orchestration. Can you do this conversion with Studio Plus? If I don't use a shaker, should I continue to use the old version? Thanks for the advice.

I don’t know, but just do it manually (I always do it this way). All that is occurring is the folder structure with wav files in it is being copied from the hard drive to the USB

#489 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

Do you mean copy it directly onto the USB from the hard drive? If so, then I have to wait for the Pinsound card to do the conversion which takes a long time. I will just continue to use the old program. Just wondered if the new program has this function. Thanks.

1 - Always work with WAV files. If you download an orchestration and they are OGG, the first thing I recommend you do is convert them to WAV using FREE:AC and delete all of the OGG (a fairly simple and quick process that I think I've outline here before - or maybe that was in a PM to someone). PinSound ONLY SUPPORTS WAV files. The only reason they are in OGG format to start with is because that format is highly compressed and allows for much smaller file size downloads.

2 - Use PSS+ for whatever you want to use it for, save orchestration and exit program. Personally, the only thing I use it for right now is to create/modify shaker routines. If/when the PSREC option is added back in, then I will use it much more for game simulation and testing my audio cuts.

3 - Using File Explorer, locate the folder where PSS+ saves the orchestration, then drag-and-drop that folder into the AUDIO folder on your USB drive

Done. Now the orchestration is in the correct place on the USB, fully formatted and ready to use on your PinSound with zero conversion required. It maybe took 2-3 minutes to do the original OGG to WAV conversion for the entire orchestration on the computer, then however long it took for your computer to do a file copy from your harddrive to your USB drive.

#497 3 years ago

For me, I have two PinSound One boards with headphones stations on Getaway and Jurassic Park. My Getaway has always worked perfectly, but my JP only worked after a firmware update. One thing I can think of is to make sure your pin settings are set to allow minimum volume.

#502 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

Always have had issues with the headphone stations. I find turning down the game volume to basically zero seems to help control the volume a little better on the card. The headphone jack has never really worked. Guess this is why they give them away free sometimes.
    The Pinsound brothers should look at a fix for the headphone station or provide better instructions on how to use them properly.

Well, I only own two of them but they are both work perfectly. Not sure why the discrepancy between installations. I really like not having to open the coin door to adjust volume, and it saved me from having to buy a new pot controller on my JP which is failing.

1 week later
    #511 3 years ago

I don't think that is a setting on DE games. I didn't have to do anything special on my JP. Just turned to 0, waited a second or two until you hear the chime and short preview, then turn back up.

Also, I highly recommend the headphones station, especially on DE games. This completely bypasses the POT volume control and lets you set volume and change orchestrations without having to open the coin door.

#514 3 years ago
    Quoted from Scandell:

Thanks to Mr. Tantrum’s knowledge, I have implemented a custom sound mods on my TSPP. Game-changer. Love it.

Excellent!

#516 3 years ago
    Quoted from dimthedaylights:

Update on my issue worked great after dropping the packages in as zips

Great to hear - now crank up the volume and enjoy some PinSound pinball!

2 weeks later
    #518 3 years ago
    Quoted from mozach:

I just put Pinsound+ in my GNR and really like it. I do agree here though that somehow flashers get triggered that didn't before. For example, in my game over sequence, a couple of flashers in the backbox go off for the duration of the song I put in. Maybe it's a Data East thing? Is this normal?

I’ve not noticed any odd behavior with my DE JP like that.

#521 3 years ago

I think there may be a setting on the board, let me research. Do you have PS1 or PS+ ?

#522 3 years ago

Yes, on the PS1 and the PS+ there is a mute switch on the board just below the headphone jack. Please flip the switch and report back if that solved your issue.

FYI, I believe the reason this is possible is because you may want to hear the game over the speakers, but also feed sound to a recording device simultaneously using the headphones port.

#524 3 years ago
    Quoted from loren3233:

Yes Mr Tantrum you are correct on the mute switch on the board and I attempted the switch just now.
    I did flip the switch and am having the same issue. I did a reboot of the system as well thinking that may change the issue and it did not. So, basically when booted on "mute setting off" I still get cabinet sound and when booted "mute setting on" for headphones I still get cabinet speaker sound.

Have you updated to latest firmware?

Also, have you tried more than one type of headphones?

#532 3 years ago

I’ve done it several times. Just download the new format orchestration, it will have a PinSound.config file, then start replacing the sound files in it with your custom ones (just use file explorer to move the files around).

If you have a shaker, you will want to make sure that is working first because the definitions are stored in the config file.

Once you have a working orchestration, just repeat the process for the next one you do.

If you’ve done all custom sound effects and voices, it might be easier to have them convert for you, but if you’ve only done the music it doesn’t take long to do it manually.

#533 3 years ago
    Quoted from loren3233:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Do you have a sub plugged in or something (red/white connectors)? What happens if you disconnect those?

#544 3 years ago
    Quoted from dmacy:

Can you have more than one mix on the same USB drive? Or do you need one on one drive and the other on the other?

See the bottom of the opening post of this thread for example folder structure.

1 week later
    #549 3 years ago

1) Ducking | This was previously an undocumented feature, and I don't know if it made its way into the new convention or not.

2) PSREC files | I've been told for the last several months it was in the works and "close". I'm assuming there have been some complications/challenges since it is still not present. Unfortunately, I think "when it's done" is the answer.

3) Custom rules | First time I've heard of these. Curious.

4) Shaker | All shaker events are time based and cannot repeat fire based on an audio length. If you want an extended shake the use one of the 3 custom shakes to create one of the duration/intensity you are wanting.

#551 3 years ago
    Quoted from Quadrider:

Excellent Guide.... Thanks mr_tantrum for all the advice. I acquired a T2 with a Pinsound board and was blown away at how awesome it sounds. A few weeks back, I picked up one of my Dream Games J*B only to have the sound board take a shit. I Ordered a Pinsound Board for it, installed, and updated Firmware, only to realize there are no enhanced packages currently available for it yet... Only the Original Mix. Unfortunately J*B isn't a highly produced game and God only knows how long it'll be before the community makes a custom or enhanced original mix for it.
    I absolutely love the original J*B soundtrack and would like to try to Re-orchestrate & enhance it myself. Good news is that all the files on the original mix are currently in .wav format. I Downloaded PSStudio and Audicity, and will be working on the mix over the next few weeks/months. Reading through all 11 pages can be quite overwhelming for someone relatively new to the whole customization of sound packages.... With that said, aside from "Normalization" and converting the Original Mono sounds to Stereo, what are the easiest and quickest Audicity Adjustments that you recommend to instantly get the best Sounds for my J*B sound files?

Main thing to know is garbage in, garbage out. Your original sound files need to be high quality. Outside of that, you've got it. A few points:
    - Make yourself a runsheet to keep track of all the sounds along with what you've replaced and with what. If you'll PM me with your email address I can send you a couple of example Excel files I used
    - If just doing the orchestration, there is no need for PS Studio. It just introduces another element that is not really needed. Do all of your sound editing in Audacity, and just use your computers file system to copy/paste the wav files into the correct folders.
    - For sound effects and voice callouts, you will want your replacements to be of similar length (usually no need to make them exactly the same). If you know the game well, you'll know what needs to be short due to consecutive callouts, etc.
    - For Audacity be sure to download the stereo plugin I outline as you will want to convert the OEM sounds you keep and even some new sound effects/callouts to stereo
    - Realize you will need to trim and adjust start points for your music. You make like a song that has a 20 second lead in, only to realize on the pin you rarely or never make it 20 seconds into the mode to where you hear the main part of the music. Similarly, if you have a song that needs to loop be sure to trip the end of the song so that when it repeats back to the start it is a smooth transition.

Other than that, it's just going to take some practice using Audacity and getting into the groove. I suggest getting your first stab at it mostly done, then take it to the pin to test. Also, take the glass off and throw the ball around to achieve the various modes, test sound effects rarely heard, etc. Plan on going back and forth to your pin and PC making fine tweaks until you are ultimately satisfied with your orchestration.

#554 3 years ago
    Quoted from cjchand:

Hey all! Thanks mr_tantrum and others for all the wisdom here. A lot to take in
    Does anyone have any tips - outside normalization, of course - to help things sound more cohesive? Even with batch normalization (and loudness) adjustments, I still have some files that are louder than others. Any tips outside of adjusting the offending clips manually?
    Also, given that the callouts and music are from various sources, I suspect some EQ work would help, but I only have a cursory knowledge of such things. Anyone come across anything that helps a noob with that?
    Thanks in advance!

When I say "normalize" I do not mean using the built in normalize tool in Audacity, as this does not deliver the best results. What I mean is that your recordings should all be of similar amplitude (I've already posted where/how I set mine). Then you should manually adjust each file to have a similar histogram using the audacity Amplify effect.

What I find works best for all the orchestrations I've done is for the light blue center part of the histogram to range from around -3.5 to +3.5 (sometimes you may have to trim the peaks when doing this, but it is rarely noticeable, if at all, in my experience given the audio fidelity of a pinball machine.

Also, I suggest getting all of your files done first as I outline above, then circle back and play with other adjustments if needed. The biggest task will be converting everything to stereo if your callouts and effects are in mono. I think I've outlined that somewhere in this thread, but if not let me know.

3 weeks later
    #557 3 years ago

Even though v.20.06.2 looks like it was posted on 9/17/20, the changelog shows that same version on 6/18/20.

#559 3 years ago

If I had to guess they probably added some shakerizations (purely speculative on my part).

#561 3 years ago

I'm hoping for the new version of pinstudio to follow shortly : )

He's been working on that for months. I know that things turned a little hectic for France during the pandemic, so not sure how much time he's been able to devote to it. The implementation of the shaker programming is superb, but we do really need the PSREC feature back.

#563 3 years ago

How do I make the volume lower on a data East, with the volume turned all the way down it’s still quite loud

Are you using the DE volume control or the PS headphones station? Also what are the settings on the volume knobs on the PS board?

#566 3 years ago

no headphone station and I must be blind I don’t see a volume adjustment on the board itself? Just the adjustment for the headphone volume

Sorry, I forgot the PinSound + boards are different than the older PinSound 1 boards (what I have). You should be able to turn the volume all the way down using the pin's volume control. I can't remember about DE pins, but on Williams there is a minimum volume lock which means even if you turn the volume all the way down it is still at level 4 or 5. Again, not sure if this setting exists in DE pins.

The headphones statin replaces the DE volume control knob inside the cabinet and allows you to both control volume and switch orchestrations from outside the cabinet - a must have IMO.

#568 3 years ago

Good writeup. The number one issue for me is identifying what triggers all of the Voice & SFX sounds (there are usually so many of them). It also doesn't help that usually the coders put a variety of SFX, Voices, and even Music that doesn't ever seemed to be called during a game. I usually try to rename folders to something more accurate when I track them down, so that is a good suggestion for all to follow (helps those who come after you).

#576 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

Any thoughts on the new Pinsound card released today? Not sure what the difference is with the Pinsound Plus? Thanks.
    https://www.pinsound.org/pinball-sound-boards-neo-plus/

Yeah, I checked it out too. It looks like a little less expensive version that has all the great features that most people would want. Just doesn't have a line out, equalizer, and a few other things. I bet for 75%+ of the users this would be great solution.

#580 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

Thanks, I think on Getaway nearly half of the music tracks don't trigger during game play. Something very high.

Well, that’s a little bit of an exaggeration, maybe 4 or so.

2 weeks later
    #582 3 years ago

Got pinsound on my MB.
    Is it normal to have some white noise sound after game is turned on?
    When game is started, sound is pretty good.
    Louder on left back speaker - from players perspective.
    Thanks

When game is powered on, you should here some beeping as the PinSound board is loading the orchestrations, then a confirmation chime (or custom sound if you've added it), then you should be good to go.

#598 3 years ago

Please see the opening post of this thread as it answers several of your questions.

#600 3 years ago

The PinSound boards only support WAV format. The files are presented in ZIP files as OGG because it is a high compression, which makes the files significantly smaller to post on the website and to transfer.

There are two ways of installing an orchestration.

1) Automatic - copy the ZIP file to the root of the USB and put it in your PinSound. Upon initial boot the PinSound board will automatically unzip the contents, convert all OGG files to WAV, build the correct file structure, then remove the ZIP file from the USB. This takes significant time to accomplish, but after the first time it is done the orchestration is ready to go moving forward. Once this is complete, if you will put the USB back into your computer and look at the orchestration file structure in the "audio" folder, you will see that each orchestration has its own folder, under this you will see some primary classification folders (e.g. music, sfx, voice, etc.), and under each of these you will see numerically named folders (some will have descriptions after the number) and inside of each of these one or more WAV files.

2) Manual - this is where I outline the tools to use to manually convert all of the OGG files to WAV on your computer, and then to copy the file structure onto the USB. This is much quicker and achieves the same end results, but you do need to use third party tools. If you are developing and manipulating sound files quite often, then this is the preferred method IMO.

Nobody here is an idiot, and while I love the PinSound bros. and their products, their documentation is not always that intuitive. You can follow their automated process, but I prefer to do things manually due to speed and control. What it comes down to is that there is a fairly rigid file structure, and you can simply delete/copy audio files to and from folders as you desire using standard file copy methods. The entire reason I started this topic was to try to give some clarity to those who wish to interact with and develop orchestrations. If you're just a guy who wants to download an orchestration and use it, it can be really simple by following #1 above.

#603 3 years ago

As far as the lack of a user manual goes, I think it is important to remember that this is one of those unique products that is a "commercially developed" hardware and software but depends upon the community for custom quality orchestrations. Think of it like a ColorDMD, but where users had to create the colorizations themselves.

Personally, I like this approach but it is not without their challenges. The bros. have developed a stable hardware and software platform for bringing new life and incredible sound and shaker routines to these classic pins. However, we are not locked into their creativity and fixed orchestration options (i.e. paying for stuff that we may or may not really like). Instead, we in the pinball community get to use our creativity and expertise to build on these platforms and then to openly share with the pinball community.

Any product that is for lack of a better term, "open source" (I realize that by definition this is not exactly what PinSound is), will always have documentation and use challenges. However, we do have an excellent platform for which to build upon. I think if most people understood and approached it this way then they would be better off. In other words, with proper expectations comes greater satisfaction.

#615 3 years ago

You have an old version of the PinSound orchestration. Delete any orchestrations under the audio folder on your USB, download the desired orchestration(s) and re-install.

#616 3 years ago

To use headphones station for switching you must have 2 or more orchestrations installed (only 1 bad one is showing in your pic).

If Williams game you must have min volume override set to where you can turn volume all the way to 0.

When pin has booted, turn HPS knob to 0 and leave it there - you will hear a chime and a 5 second preview. Then turn volume up to normal level. Repeat process to switch to next orchestration.

#620 3 years ago

Flash drive one at a time then you must leave the drive plugged into the PinSound.

#623 3 years ago
    Quoted from Milltown:

Ok.. I did order a pinsound headphone station and it is installed....
    And it does control the games volume ...
    I payed a guy / arcade twice to load the flash drive and it did not take all 5 soundtracks...
    So i guess start the process over like you say....?

PM me, and I'll be happy to help you.

#624 3 years ago

FYI, I just noticed there is not a new format version of the Tommy OBC orchestration, so you won't be able to use that one. I'll contact Nicolas to let him know.

#630 3 years ago
    Quoted from MJW:

I have a first generation Pinsound board in a GNR. Worked fine for years.
    Now my cabinet potentiometer volume control will not change mixes and sometimes I have no game volume. (Sound effects can still be heard from pop bumpers,targets,ect. Which seems to be separate from the mix)
    I replaced the pot but still have same issues. Pinsound boot up sound sequence can be heard . I’m going to try and replace connector from pot to Pinside board.
    Any other ideas? Thanks

Do you have a headphones station (maybe in another pin) you could test with to take the POT out of the mix?

#638 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

Why are computers so complicated...thanks!

just a competing compression to zip

#641 3 years ago
    Quoted from MLmotorsport:

Having trouble getting a community remix installed on my FH. I haven't ever had any problems with any of the installs on this or any other machines but I have tried downloading and installing this one several times. The last time I tried loading only this mix on the USB and the nice lady said "There are no sound files on the USB flash drive" when I turned it on.
    Tried installing this back in July with the same results but now that the season is here I figured I'd christmas Rudy up a little bit.
    Any ideas?
    [quoted image]

Download to your computer, unzip, and show me a screenshot of what is in the root folder and music folder of the unzipped orchestration.

#643 3 years ago

Looks like you figured out what I was thinking the issue was.

You never know what/how the original creator mixed things. For me, I do it based upon my setup with a PinSound 1, which may or may not be optimal on everyone's setup. You can run the voice files through Audacity and amplify them (how I do it), or you could potentially add gain to them individually via PinSound studio.

I was going to take a look at the orchestration for you, but it appears the site is down right now. I'll keep checking as I have time.

Update:

I just looked at the video for the orchestration - that's awesome! Not only the Christmas music, but the decorated pin (especially the Santa hat). From what I can hear, some of the callouts seem a little quite. Are you experiencing the same thing as what the audio in the video conveys?

#648 3 years ago
    Quoted from MLmotorsport:

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll download it and play with it a little to see if its something I can tackle. I'd like to do the same thing with my IJ & TZ mixes quite frankly but there isn't as much disparity in those compared with FH.

I downloaded the orchestration, and indeed the voice callouts are not equalized to the music. It looks like they are the stock callouts as they are all still in mono, and they have a lower amplitude than the music. I did notice there is a gain.txt file in the voice folder. The purpose of gain is to increase the volume of the files in this folder relative to the other sounds played. Currently, it is set at 18, but what happens if you change it to 90 by editing the file on the USB? I can't remember if this will actually work or if the gain file has to be in each sub folder.

Let me know when you can test this and how it goes. Alternatively, I'd be happy to modify each of the 103 voice files by amplifying them and converting them to stereo if needed.

#650 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

I have done a bunch of orchestrations and not sure if mine have this issue, likely. Can you tell me what to look for in Audacity to see if the music tracks are normalized and what I need to adjust to fix them. The orchestrations sound good in my games, so haven't bothered to play with this. Thanks for the help.

As I've mentioned before, it is all about having equivalent amplitude on all files (it's one of the key posts - not sure who did that, but thanks).

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tantrums-guide-to-pinsound/page/10#post-5710139

#656 3 years ago
    Quoted from lhammer610:

I agree that they should be normalized.
    However, in the Tommy I am using, some of the sound effects, like some sort of explosion that I have yet to identify, is too loud.
    IMHO, as a newbie user, I would not normalize some of the special effects. Music and voices, yes.

Actually, I always "normalize" and "stereo-ize" the SFX files, along with JINGLE files and anything else. Every original pin orchestrations I've modified/created (10+ different games) had files of all types that need amplified. The key is understanding how to modify them relative to how they compare originally to the amplitude of the other files (typically almost all of them are quite similar).

#658 3 years ago

I've uploaded a fully normalized and stereo conversion of the original orchestration to the PinSound Community. Of course everyone will need to wait until it is approved before they can download.

You can easily copy the JINGLE, SFX, and VOICE folders from my orchestration and replace the non-stereo, non-normalized folders on any other FunHouse orchestration that follows the same folder naming convention.

http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/334-funhouse-mr_tantrum-stereonormalized-mix

#660 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

Want to make it 11 with Tommy

Which orchestration would you want me to use as the model (I know you have a few already uploaded to the site)?

1 week later
    #667 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I've uploaded a fully normalized and stereo conversion of the original orchestration to the PinSound Community. Of course everyone will need to wait until it is approved before they can download.
    You can easily copy the JINGLE, SFX, and VOICE folders from my orchestration and replace the non-stereo, non-normalized folders on any other FunHouse orchestration that follows the same folder naming convention.
    http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/334-funhouse-mr_tantrum-stereonormalized-mix

Sorry to quote myself, but wanted to let everyone know that there was an issue with uploads to the site. Gerald just notified me that he has fixed it and I re-uploaded the orchestration. Hopefully it will be available soon.

#670 3 years ago

PinSound Studio is deprecated - don't use it. Only use the PinSound Studio Pro.

- PinSound Studio - supported psrec files and old structure. Will not work with the new required file structure
    - PinSound Studio Pro - supports creation of shaker routines, but psrec file feature has not yet been added (it is on the development list, but no eta). Supports the new required structure with pinsound.config files and current firmwares

It has been a grown pain for some of use who author orchestrations, but change is inevitable so you might as well rip off the bandaid.

Personally, I do all of my editing and orchestration building outside of PSSP (I always have). The one feature that I did utilize in PSS was the psrec as it saved a ton of time tracking down sound references and going back and forth to the pin. However, PSSP is great when it comes to shaker routines (I've done several). Psrec should come back at some point in the new software, but there is no definitive date as of now.

My basic process is to extract an orchestration folder to my PC, convert any/all OGG files to WAV (what PinSound supports - OGG is just for compression during file transfer), and delete the OGG files. I usually start with the music and create an Excel file where I map what is what (the original orchestration is not always labeled well). I then go about editing my own music and other files making sure they are all of similar amplitude (i.e. manual normalization). Also, if they are mono sounds I convert them to stereo. I then save my new file over the original in its folder, note the change in my Excel log, and proceed on. When I've made some progress, I manually copy the orchestration to the audio folder on the USB and play a game or two making notes of what I've changed and what I think needs tweaked. I continue the process until I'm done. If you know the game really well then this is fairly simple and doesn't take that long. I've you don't know the game and/or don't have access to the pin you are orchestrating for then it is quite difficult and time consuming (I've done several orchestrations like this for people). This is where the psrec feature would have been extremely helpful.

The PSSP window is a fixed size. I've attached a screenshot of what it looks like at 1080P. However, if you are running at 4K or similar then it would indeed be a very small window.

You can get the CV original orchestration here: https://www.pinsound.org/pinballs/wpc-95/cirqus-voltaire

#671 3 years ago

Okay everyone, I finally got tired of typing out in PMs how to manually do orchestration conversions. I just posted a YouTube video that demonstrates the process. The video begins at the point where you've already downloaded a zipped orchestration file, and takes you thought installing it on the PinSound USB. I did this with one of my Getaway orchestrations, but the steps are identical regardless.

I hope this helps, and please realize this is my manual methodology. PinSound has the ability to install orchestrations on its own simply by copying the zip file to the root of the USB drive.

Basic Steps:
    - Unzip the file
    - Launch Free:ac and check settings making sure the file name is set correctly in order to save the fils in the original folders (FYI, if converting from WAV to OGG for upload purposes you would just select the OGG encoder)
    - Drag and drop entire orchestration folder into Free:ac and press the convert button
    - Within the orchestration folder search for *.OGG to retrieve all of the OGG files in the structure then select all (Ctrl-A on keyboard for shortcut) and delete
    - Copy the orchestration folder to the PinSound USB under "audio"
    - Install the USB into the PinSound, power on the pin, and enjoy!

#674 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

Thanks for doing this. Be great if Pinsound did some actual videos on using their technology. Any chance a video on making an orchestration is in the works I know the basics but likely missing some of the finer points of making a better quality orchestration.

That would be quite involved, but maybe some day.

#677 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

Maybe I can do one and you can tell me all the mistakes I am making

There's more than one way to accomplish it. I don't want everyone to think that my way is the only way. I'm sure I could still learn a few things about how to do it better/quicker.

1 week later
    #681 3 years ago
    Quoted from JohnJN:

I apologize if this has been discussed, and if I missed the post - I'd done a search for 'Firmware' and 'Self-Diagnosis' but didn't find the answer so I thought I'd ask.
    I've recently purchased my 2nd Pinsound+ package, and in re-aquatinting myself with the install I only now noticed the firmware revisions - which when I bought my first one I never did, I simply installed it in my DE-JP and it's worked ever since.
    That being said -- I would like to run the latest firmware update before unzipping the sound packages on my newest install, but am wondering about my older machine -- has anyone ever run into issues installing new firmware on their pinsound+ boards? do I need to incrementally run firmware updates or can I jump over almost a year and a half of updates? personally I like running new firmware revisions if it benefits me, but in this case with it working perfectly should I bother? (mostly I wondered about compatibility with potential hardware revisions).
    Also -- since I've never run any of the updates when I did the original install - how do I run the self diagnostic test on the pinsound+ to determine its firmware version?
    Thanks for your help!

You will be just fine jumping firmware on PS+, but if you had original PS you could potentially have an issue depending upon how old your installed firmware was (even then, there is a special process for updating to current firmware through a specific intermediate firmware update).

At worst, if you have a really old version and are still running an orchestration that follows the old naming convention then you will need to redownload and install those orchestrations from the website where they have all been updated to the new convention.

If you take your existing USB and put it in your computer is there a log file in the root of the drive? If so, open this with a text editor to see the installed firmware version.

#685 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

Been working on my Elvis game and trying to replicate these sound files used in the orchestration. Any idea how he was able to achieve such low levels? I reduced the sound level on the songs I added but they are still much louder than the other music files. See a snip from Audacity. Thanks for the help![quoted image]

Probably the volume was really low on your input levels whenever you captured the sound.

#687 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

Just added a new Pinsound orchestration to the Pinsound Community. I call it the Rockabilly Mix. Started with Andy_B's orchestration and added a few new songs and replaced the live tracks with original. Also deleted some of the slower songs to give it a more upbeat feel. New songs include: Shake, Rattle and Roll, Mystery Train, Good Rockin' Tonight, That's All Right, I Got a Woman.
    Likely take a few days to be approved. Here is the link. Hope you enjoy it
    https://www.pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/341-elvis-rockabilly/

You may want to post in the Elvis owners thread.

#691 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mattyk:

Thanks. It also automatically has a config.pinsound file where the music, sfx, jingle, and voice folders are. Do I leave it?
    In the beginning of Tantrums post he said to create a Config.ini file on the usb under the Audio folder. How exactly do I do that or is it created automatically by Pinsound? Thanks.
    [quoted image]

Yes, this file is a requirement of the new format. It contains the shaker routing and orchestration adjustments you've made in PinSound Studio Pro, in addition to other things.

1 week later
    #702 3 years ago
    Quoted from lpgnr:

Is there a faster way to upload mixes to the Pinsound card? I’ve seen it mentioned that you can use the software to speed things up, but I don’t see that option on the software. I can only save to the folder from where I opened the file. It would be nice to not have to wait 45 minutes every time I want to check out a new mix on my Guns N’ Roses game. Thanks in advance for any help!

Please read at the bottom part of my initial post which outlines how to transfer the uncompressed orchestration manually to the USB from your computer. If you do this, there is zero install time required by the PinSound board.

#709 3 years ago
    Quoted from lpgnr:

Is there a faster way to upload mixes to the Pinsound card? I’ve seen it mentioned that you can use the software to speed things up, but I don’t see that option on the software. I can only save to the folder from where I opened the file. It would be nice to not have to wait 45 minutes every time I want to check out a new mix on my Guns N’ Roses game. Thanks in advance for any help!

Here is your answer: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tantrums-guide-to-pinsound/page/14#post-5966331

#714 3 years ago
    Quoted from lpgnr:

I guess you don’t know what EQ is, lol Volume is not one of the knobs.

The coin door volume adjustment is your master volume adjustment.
    No further controls are needed.

EQ = Equalizer | General term for modifying non-volume sound output elements (e.g. bass, treble, etc.) I would suggest turning up your volume to desired levels using pin's default volume adjustment, then adjust EQ settings on the PinSound board as desired.

Or purchase and install a PinSound HeadPhones Station (I highly recommend it) if you wish to have external volume control.

#716 3 years ago
    Quoted from lpgnr:

I do have the headphone station, but I can’t turn it down to a reasonable volume. It is either blasting at volume level 1 or silent at volume level 0. It is a bit frustrating ...

What game?

#720 3 years ago

For me, you turn volume to 0, hear the chime, then you hear about a 5 second preview of the newly selected orchestration. BEFORE you turn up volume and go back to 0 to change to next orchestration you need to wait until the preview audio finishes. When I do it this way, my orchestration switching works 100% of the time on the two games I have PinSound on (Williams Getaway, & previously owned DE Jurassic Park).

2 weeks later
    #728 3 years ago
    Quoted from gac:

Hi all - my pinsound 1 board is well over three years old. I downloaded the firmware update file as per the directive of Nicolas at PinSound. It said the board was updating and played music for a few minutes. When I rebooted the machine, I received a message that the machine was updated and to turn the machine off. I installed the sound packages on the USB and put it in the board and it tells me there are no sound packages on the drive. Meanwhile, I've tried downloading one and sometimes a second sound package on the drive but the board does not recognize. My machine, by the way, is T2. I've tried to install the original sound package and the OST version from the community folder.
    Just for background information, I have had the OST version on this board for over 3 years. I just recently removed the USB stick to add the original sound package on the drive. When I reinstalled the drive, I have experienced the issue I'm asking about now. Thanks for any advice as to how to get this working again. My last couple asks for help to Pinsound have not been replied to.

First think I would do is reformat the USB drive to FAT32 in case something odd happened to it.

When you upgraded to the latest firmware, it actually took it? If you've not upgraded in years that would surprise me as you most likely would have had to perform an intermediate update with special instructions from Nicolas.

#732 3 years ago

What firmware version is on the card right now?

If on an old version of firmware, do the following to create a text file on the PinSound that will show you the boot log with firmware version:

- On your USB root folder create a text file named "config.ini"
    - Edit the file and place the following two lines in it, then save the file to the USB drive
    [main]
    debug = false ; Enable DEBUG mode
    - Put the USB in your Pinsound, reboot the pin, power off the pin, then remove the USB drive
    - Put the USB in your computer and there should now be a new .txt file on the drive (I forget what it's called)
    - Edit this file and find the firmware version listed

#735 3 years ago
    Quoted from gac:

Sorry for my ignorance but I'm not sure I understand. I'm not sure how to create the file and then add two lines to it.

Sorry, that's tier 1 helpdesk level stuff (I only handle the tier 2 and above)

Bottom line is you need to know where you are before you can assess the playback issues. If you are not confirmed on the latest firmware then that is your first course of action before messing with any of the orchestrations. If you put your USB drive into your computer and look at the contents of the root folder, what files/folders do you see?

#737 3 years ago

Your firmware is 20.06.2 is current for PinSound 1, so that is good.

Now then, do you have an "audio" folder in the root of the USB (you should)? Open that folder and you will have one or more folders there. Please delete these and we will start from scratch.

After you delete all folders within the "audio" folder, then copy one, AND ONLY ONE, of the zip file orchestrations you downloaded. Copy this zip file into the root of the USB (i.e. at the top level and NOT in a subfolder).

Insert the USB into your PinSound, turn on the pin, and listen to the alerts as it installs the orchestration (however long it takes). When you are alerted that it is done then turn off the pin, remove the USB drive, put it back in the computer, copy the next downloaded orchestration zip file to the root of the USB, insert into pin, turn pin on, and now away for that orchestration to install.

Repeat the above process as many times as needed to install all of your orchestrations.

Please try the above and report back.

#739 3 years ago

You can delete the tmp file if you want, but not necessary. Otherwise, only delete the subfolders under audio.

#749 3 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

[quoted image]

Trash pic is great, but there might be some value to the old board with purists (your's to do with it what you want, of course).

Like I always say, PinSound is unequivocally the best upgrade you can make to older pins. It completely changes the overall game play experience, and the ability to customize is icing on the cake.

If you haven't already, the next thing to consider is the PinSound shaker which integrates with the PinSound boards. There are more and more default shaker routines, but you can also easily build your own. You can assign 1 of 9 built in shakes or create up to 3 custom shakes, each of which can be assigned to any sound events you choose.

#751 3 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

Haha, no, I just threw it on top for the pic. It's back in it's bubble wrap from the PinSound packaging.
    Getaway IJ and TZ are the next three I'm not even going to think twice about upgrading.

I thought that was probasbly a photo-op.

Well, you should love Getaway since there are so many custom orchestrations for it (shameless plug since I've done a dozen or so orchestrations for it), Endprodukt's Indiana Jones mix is all you will ever want (his DE JP is also excellent), and I'm not familiar with the TZ mix but there's a recent thread where someone is maybe getting the callouts professionally done.

You can browse around here to see what is available: https://www.pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files

#753 3 years ago

Does anyone have the notes on what the latest firmware (01/12/2021) changes are?

Changelog only states that a volume issue was fixed.

You can find changelog for +/neo here: https://www.pinsound.org/help/pinsound-plus-help (click on the + Changelog link below the orange firmware box to reveal details).

#756 3 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

I've checked out a couple of yours already and excited to try them out.
    My Getaway sound system is already upgraded but I did all the wiring myself years ago....in mono.....would it be worth rewiring in stereo asap or just play around with things for now?
    I could spend hours customizing everything; I can see where you get all the passion for PinSound from!
    10-4 on the IJ.
    I don't have a DE:JP but it's on my list for the collection. If I bought another it would be my 3rd time.
    Okay I need to go play some more T2 now! I'm sure by the end of the weekend my board will have visited at least 1 other machine. The sound in my T2 is pretty decent considering the factory speakers are still in there so I'm expecting even more from my newer games. Going to be getting new speakers for T2 in the next week. Sheesh so much for all my EM pin restorations this winter.

Yes on rewiring the Getaway. I recommend buying the stereo harness from PinSound, as it makes it a snap to wire. https://www.pinsound.org/accessories/#stereo

1 month later
    #759 3 years ago

First things first, double check all ribbon cables and make sure you're not off a row and that everything is properly connected. If they already installed the audio file, then there will be no conversion needed (it will just work). However, we can validate this if you put the USB drive in your computer, see if there is an "audio" folder, and within that audio folder if there is an orchestration folder.

Also, since this is a Williams game, you will want to make sure that minimum volume override is disabled (I think that is the right setting, whatever allows you to use the service switches to lower volume all the way down to 0), and then make sure the volume level with service switches is up to 6 or 7 (about 3/4 of the way up).

#764 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mathazar:

#1 - If you create your own orchestration package and number your folders in whatever fashion you like, you have to "submit" your package to the PinSound guys and they will analyze it and, if approved, create a config.pinsound file and send it to you. You then need to have this config.pinsound file present in your package in order for the game to play the sounds at the appropriate time. The config.pinsound file is not a text file or editable, and you cannot create it on your own.
    or....
    #2 - start with someone else's orchestration package, using their config.pinsound file, and replace whatever sound files you like as long as you don't touch the numerical portion of the folder names. Otherwise, the config.pinsound file won't find the folder and the sound file won't play.
    Do I have this close to being right? Many thanx!

The folder numbering system is not arbitrary, and the process and methodology is proprietary information that PinSound will not openly share (I don't completely understand it). Basically, the reason many orchestrations have differing numbering systems is due to how/when they were converted from the older legacy convention. I've tried to have this conversation a few times with Nicolas, but we were finally able to communicate with one another that he is just not willing to share how it is done. Nicolas' English is very good - far better than my non-existent French, but I struggled somewhat before he finally understood what I was asking and how to communicate to me that it was confidential/proprietary (either that, or he was just being polite and didn't want to tell me "no" until I nagged him to).

Here is my basic approach when creating new/custom orchestrations:
    - If you plan on creating multiple custom orchestrations, then always start with the OEM orchestration and utilize it's naming convention. If you just plan on creating a single that uses lots of existing sounds from a current orchestration, then use that as your basis.
    - Personally, I start with the OEM orchestration because I know it works and because I can utilize the existing pinsound.config file.
    - Whatever convention your orchestration is based on, you can manually interchange the pinsound.config file between orchestrations using that same convention (if you base your orchestration on a different convention, then you will have to use that specific pinsound.config file for the orchestration to work).
    - Why is it important to want to keep the same pinsound.config file? For me, it is because the shaker routine is stored in that file. If I go to the trouble of fine tuning a shaker routine, I want to be able to easily apply it to all my orchestrations. If they all follow the same convention, then I just copy the updated pinsound.config file to the orchestration and I'm done. If I have different naming conventions then I must use PinSound Studio to manually redo the shaker routine completely from scratch for each different convention I'm using.
    - Never change the numerical value of a folder name in an orchestration or you will orphan that sound. However, you may change the text part of the name as this is arbitrary. The name of the file(s) in the folder is irrelevant.
    - You can add multiple files in the same folder and they will randomly be called when that event is triggered. This is completely random, and there is no control over it.

#766 3 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

PinSound #2 checks in. This will be going in WMS IJ for sure!
    [quoted image]

If I recall, there is a great IJ orchestration that Endprodukt created.

#769 3 years ago
    Quoted from jedimastermatt:

After years of procrastinating, the pandemic finally forced me to get a lot of lingering projects finished. I've got three Pinsound orchestrations to share with the community. Each of them have all all of the files combed over and with all of them, I only leave behind cleaned up versions of legacy files if they are either custom pinball machine callouts and I've removed as much digital compression noise and hiss as I can.
    SWDE was the first of creations and was built back months after the Pinsound 1 board was on the market. Other than the learning curve of how the folders work, it was a labor of love and in many ways the easiest for me since I can remember music/sfx/callouts from the original trilogy form memory and didn't require much debate over what to use and where to get the source from. The pre-multiball DMD sequence was a bit of pain to edit because I later discovered that the Data East game's timing of starting this cue isn't consistent. It took several versions to get it timed as best I could to match the superlaser sequence from Episode IV. The other challenge was finding a fast enough flash drive to run the mix without audio delays. That took a lot of trial and error.
    https://www.pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/346-swde-original-trilogy-ultimate-orchestration/
    *The download is pending approval from Pinsound; but, should be available shortly.

The Shadow is perhaps my favorite creation. This was probably because it was the most difficult and it was the reason why I procrastinated so much on it. After I finally settled on tapping into the Mongolian/Tibetan origins of the film character, I was able to then use matching samples that aligned well. Lots of Tibetan prayer bells, gongs, and some good old fashion Tuvan throat signing really tied the Sanctum together. I've always been a fan of Goldsmith's score for this movie and think it is underrated. I love the combo of the drums and synth with the orchestra.
    https://www.pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/347-the-shadow-ultimate-orchestration-music-and-sfx/
    *This is awaiting approval from Pinsound and should be available shortly.

The easiest mix I've done is STTNG. The passionate people in the community had already come up with outstanding music cue selections. The only things I changed around were a few of those choices to add more of what I have in mind for STTNG. More Starfleet fanfare and some additional cues from the series and the films. The only outside the box selection was adding Giachinno's End Credit cue as a random option at the end of multiball as I love that cue. The SFX were easy to apply as there are tons of source options available online, so it was relatively quick work. I do plan on revisiting the end of ball bonus count as I'm pretty sure I can get it to align to the actual end of score for the opening/end credits; but, it was frustrating me and I put this version in place for now and didn't want to wait to share it.
    https://www.pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/348-sttng-ultimate-orchestration/
    *The upload is still pending Pinsound approval; but, it should be available shortly.

Please forgive the horrible video quality and play during the recordings.

Well done! Thank you for contributing.

#770 3 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

Got it installed and absolutely love the improvements. Though, I find myself missing some of the classic speech calls. I may spend some time modifying things if I can but the music and other sound bites are a winner/keeper.
    Now to think about my next PinSound.....HSII, TZ, STTTNG, LOTR...how about all

Take Endprodukt's mix and either replace the calls you don't like with the ones you do, or just add the ones you like so you have random different callouts for various events. His JP mix was a great orchestration, but I probably redid about 10% of it for my personal liking in the same manner.

Just download the OEM/original orchestration, extract the files to WAV format, then copy the files into the corresponding folders that already exist on your USB (or do it on your computer then move to USB). I haven't figured out how to do key posts yet (somebody has flagged some in this thread), but here is a video where I show how to perform the orchestration conversion manually: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tantrums-guide-to-pinsound/page/14#post-5966331

#773 3 years ago

Somehow I missed that post. Good to know. Sounds will still appear to be random, but they will all get played equally.

#779 3 years ago

A great feature of pinsound is putting additional ( how many ? ) mixes on the USB and then being able to choose by moving vol switch to zero.
    I tried this but can only get two and that is if I use the original sounds and one other.
    Monster Bash is the game.
    So I can have Pink Floyd plus original, or Queen plus original but can't have Queen and Pink Floyd?
    Still I have original plus one which is better than nothing!
    Wondering if there is a fix?

Not sure what your issue is, but I've had as many as 10 on a USB. I ended up trimming down to 4 or 5, because the more you have the greater the boot time is extended (especially on PinSound 1).

#784 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrMikeman:

I know for myself every time I have tried that the sound package hasn't been recognized/installed/selectable on Pinsound, which sounds like the OP's problem.

Then you're not doing something right.

I've done it dozens of times for myself and several different people, for several different titles, and have never had a single issue. Just have to follow how my methods as shown in video previously posted.

There is absolutely nothing special about how the PinSound extracts the zip, converts the files to WAV format, and puts them in an orchestration folder under the audio folder.

#790 3 years ago

So, the #1 feature that is most helpful to creating orchestrations is back - called "record and play" this time. Unfortunately, it looks like us legacy PinSound owners will not have access (unfortunately, at some point you just can't make everything backwards compatible). Even so, I know there are a plethora of newer PinSound owners creating new orchestrations, shaker routines, and custom adjustments to existing orchestrations, and this tool will be perfect for them. To make things even easier, some old features and some new have now all been integrated into the tool instead of the user having to create/edit text files manually to make the adjustments.

See here for all the details of the new release:
    https://www.pinsound.org/help/pinsound-studio-pro

#791 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrMikeman:

Obviously the old board doesn't support the extra settings. Hardware limitation most likely.

I don't really know if limitation, or just dealing with development for the older version is too time consuming/difficult and/or if things are getting setup for features to come. The original version of PinSound studio support record/playback on PinSound (just known as PinSound at the time), and you could manually edit files for gain, ducking, etc. but not address these and other features through the software itself.

2 weeks later
    #808 3 years ago
    Quoted from scootss:

Has anyone looked into using a pinsound board for a pre-DMD Data East game? I'm assuming this is a hard no, but recently got in my head how awesome it would be to add a custom soundtrack to Time Machine with different music for the decades.

General rule is if it is not on PinSounds game list, then it is not supported: https://www.pinsound.org/pinballs

My assumption is they would want to sell as many boards as possible, and therefore if a game was supported they would certainly have it on the list. I'm not an electrical engineer, and I don't have a knowledge of how sound was produced is the older pins but there is most likely something in hardware/software architecture that is not compatible.

#809 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ashram56:

OK, so I found some answers:
    - Pinsound shaker orientation is not the same as Stern Shaker, so I would need to drill new holes... Argh, bad
    - Pinsound shaker board installs in the backbox, with a long wire from the backbox. I can only assume this cable is Power and GND.
    - Stern shaker board installs next to the shaker, with just one control wire from the backbox (ground)
    Bottom line: I can probably use the already installed Stern shaker provided that:
    - Pinsound shaker is 12V as well (that's what Stern shaker uses)
    - I build a wire harness (easy)
    Can someone confirm that the motor is 12V ? That should be written on the motor itself (if you happen to have one lying around already installed... which is unlikely but worth asking )
    I did send an email to Pinsound directly, no response yet

The PinSound Motion Control board may very well have some logic in it, and be required for the shaker to function properly and w/o damaging your PinSound board (the control board must be wired into the PinSound board itself). Even if the shaker motor were to be compatible (which it may very well be), without the Motion Control board, you are probably dead in the water. To my knowledge, these cannot be purchased apart from the shaker itself.

From a simple perspective, the PinSound board is where the firmware resides and the commands for the various shaker actions occur when sounds are fired. These actions are then sent to the motion control which in turn fires the shaker. I don't know how other shakers work, but with Pinsound there are 9 pre-defined actions, and 3 custom ones (the custom ones can be changed for different orchestrations and pins, thus not really limiting you to just 3 total actions across all orchestrations). Each action has a starting intensity, a duration, and an ending intensity. It is much more complicated than just turning the shaker on for x milliseconds then shutting it off. The Motion Control board also has a relay that you can plug any device into and control its turning on and off with number of repeats and duration. This is great for external accessories such a fog machines, topper lighting, etc.

#810 3 years ago
    Quoted from Blackjacker:

The registration thing baffles me - who are they trying to make sure *doesn’t* use their software?
    I mean, everyone using the software would have bought their board.
    Worried that too many people will produce content for their product?
    Or maybe they’re worried about someone knocking off their board design?
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsound-no-more-reset-and-rob-kahr-s-board
    I’m with you on all of your points, except the “starting to” (I’m already there.)

I honestly think it comes down to them phasing out new/advanced features for the original PinSound. It's more of a function of the best way to author code, adding new features, etc. that the original board just wasn't engineered to do at the time. Unfortunately, this is the case for nearly all technology. A 32-bit computer can't run a 64-bit software, Windows 10 won't work on your legacy hardware, etc. I know these are just simple analogies with flaws, but the idea holds true. PinSound One owners still have a great product and the tools still support development on them, but they just will not be fully compatible with newer software and features moving forward since the current hardware is evolving both in power and capabilities.

#811 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ashram56:

but can I assume the default "shakerization" is already good enough?

Any current shaker routines that are included in the firmware were written by avid PinSound users like me (I think I have 5 or 6 of my routines built into the software). So, I can confidently say that the default routines are indeed "good enough". I spent numerous hours on each routine with custom shaker events and finely tuning everything to work within the natural flow of the game - these weren't just slapped together mindlessly. FYI, none of us to my knowledge were paid for developing these routines or our orchestrations. We just love the products, what they bring to the pinball community, and we want to openly share our work with others. Therefore, everything I make/do is to the level that I personally would want in my own pins, and I trust that this is the same for the majority of other contributors.

Even so, the great news is that if you don't like the default routine then you can change it in literally minutes with the free PinSound Studio Pro software. You can either tweak the existing routine with free software, or blow caution to the wind and start from scratch with your own. While you can literally apply shaker action to an orchestration and be playing it in about 10 minutes start to finish, to do an original shaker routine well will take at least a couple of hours as you try different things, test on a game, make changes, then repeat the process until you are satisfied.

#813 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrMikeman:

Yes you can buy the control board separately. I have used it to power accessories other than a shaker.

Cool, I didn't realize that.

#819 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ashram56:

Well to clarify, I don't intend to replace the Pinsound shaker control board with the Stern shaker control board, my goal is just to keep the already installed shaker, and control it with the Pinsound shaker board. In the end, the shaker itself is a motor with a 12V and Ground connection, nothing else (as can clearly be seen on the installation diagram). The control scheme is a PWM control system (or maybe voltage controlled, but I doubt it, too complicated to manage for high amperage devices such as a shaker).
    So bottom line: if the Pinsound shaker is 12V as well, then I can buy the Pinsound shaker kit, mount the Pinsound shaker control board, and drive by the virtue of a custom wire harness drive the Stern shaker with the Pinsound control board.
    This has the benefit that I don't need to drill other holes in my Pinball machine to mount the Pinsound shaker itself which does not have the same mechanical footprint. I can even leave the Stern control board installed, although not used at all. And later on, if I decide to sell my LOTR I can easily remove the Pinsound boards, and just reconnect the Stern shaker.
    At least that's the rationale.

On that point, I must admit that I have a rather negative opinion on the communication and attitude by Pinsound on this topic. When reading their website, they state "Official package", which implies it's done by them. At no point on their website do they highlight that it's actually community done. They don't give any credit, at least none that I could see. Maybe I missed it, but it's not really apparent then.
    Curious though, so when loading an orchestration in Pinsound Studio for a supported machine, will the default implemented shaker routine appear at all ? Or will they only be in the firmware, so you don't see in the Pinstudio application what is already implemented (but any change you make on a specific sound command will override what's in the firmware) ?

Quoted from Ashram56:

Well to clarify, I don't intend to replace the Pinsound shaker control board with the Stern shaker control board, my goal is just to keep the already installed shaker, and control it with the Pinsound shaker board. In the end, the shaker itself is a motor with a 12V and Ground connection, nothing else (as can clearly be seen on the installation diagram). The control scheme is a PWM control system (or maybe voltage controlled, but I doubt it, too complicated to manage for high amperage devices such as a shaker).
    So bottom line: if the Pinsound shaker is 12V as well, then I can buy the Pinsound shaker kit, mount the Pinsound shaker control board, and drive by the virtue of a custom wire harness drive the Stern shaker with the Pinsound control board.
    This has the benefit that I don't need to drill other holes in my Pinball machine to mount the Pinsound shaker itself which does not have the same mechanical footprint. I can even leave the Stern control board installed, although not used at all. And later on, if I decide to sell my LOTR I can easily remove the Pinsound boards, and just reconnect the Stern shaker.
    At least that's the rationale.

On that point, I must admit that I have a rather negative opinion on the communication and attitude by Pinsound on this topic. When reading their website, they state "Official package", which implies it's done by them. At no point on their website do they highlight that it's actually community done. They don't give any credit, at least none that I could see. Maybe I missed it, but it's not really apparent then.
    Curious though, so when loading an orchestration in Pinsound Studio for a supported machine, will the default implemented shaker routine appear at all ? Or will they only be in the firmware, so you don't see in the Pinstudio application what is already implemented (but any change you make on a specific sound command will override what's in the firmware) ?

A few things on this:

1) For the embedded shaker routines, I can only speak to the ones I've done. I developed them for pins I own and/or for pins of friends and freely and voluntarily gave them to PinSound to use at their discretion if they so chose (there was no agreement to use them or not, simply their option). They then vetted them, they passed their controls, and they chose to implement them into the firmware. They are not just taking requests and routines from anyone/everyone. I've developed a 5 year relationship with the owners, and have proven myself over time with them. They sometimes accept my ideas and efforts, and they sometimes reject them. In that sense, I'm no different than any other PinSound owner/user. I never asked for credit, and I don't want any official credit. My only point in stating that I've contributed some of them is that many know my work and efforts within the PinSound community, and trust what I do. This is similar, but different, to products like ColorDMD. Do you know they don't create their own colorizations? There is a pool of people that have done them which never get official credit for such. They are compensated for contract work, but there have been multiple accounts were some of these individuals were not treated fairly in their eyes.

2) If a title shows to have shaker support, when installing the orchestration in the official manner then the shaker routine will be automatically applied. If a title does not have an official embedded shaker routine, then you will need to create your own and add it to the orchestration via PinSound Studio Pro. Of course, you will want to start with the latest firmware installed as this will guarantee you have the most up-to-date shaker routine support.

#820 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ashram56:

OK, that's a downer. I certainly don't want to redo an entire shakerization by hand if I want to update just one single effect.
    And I know EXACTLY why they did it that way (ie storing the shaker routines within the firmware), and while I understand the business rationale, I personally think that taking community work, integrating it in the product without giving credit, and then not providing a way for the community to access the original work is really borderline.

I'll have to verify, but I thought when you installed an orchestration following the standard process that the shaker routine was applied to it and embedded in the pinsound.config file. If this is the case, then once that is done you will have full access to view/modify the existing shaker routine in PinSound Studio Pro.

#822 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ashram56:

Well, I'm trying to find it, but can't on their website...
    What type of accessories did you control, and how do you control it (besides the relay on the board) ?
    They have these expansion boards which conceptually are very cool, but they fall short on promises here. Their website still has "LED control" for example, but I fail to see how in the current implementation. I know how I would do it if had control of the firmware, but I don't, so...

The relay is controlled by applying various actions when certain sounds are played, and it is all very easily done via PinSound Studio Pro. If you've not downloaded the software and worked with it, I strongly suggest you do so. It is all fairly self-explanatory within the software.

You don't need control of the firmware. You only need to set the event triggers and actions in the software which saves to the pinsound.config file of a given orchestration.

#823 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrMikeman:

It's a simple relay. You run whatever power you need to the relay and the board provides ON based on sound calls. I used it to control rotating beacons on top of my Roadshow (running on a separate 12v supply). Whenever multiball jackpot was hit and/or extra ball and a few other uses the beacons would come on. Unfortunately the ON call is time based up to 10 secs. I was hoping for an ON signal, followed by an OFF signal when the multiball is over but that was not possible. Kind of like the shaker. You can select a duration for ON and that's it.

Just to elaborate some on the relay, here are the controls:
    - The relay action duration when activated
    - The number of times the relay should be repeated when activated
    - The time between each repetition

So, when triggered by a sound event you could have the relay turn on for 5 seconds, go off for 2 seconds, then repeat this for 5 cycles. This gives a little more control over just turning on for a set period of time then turning off.

#825 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrMikeman:

I know. However that doesn’t help in my situation where I wanted the relay on for the duration of multiball. There are sound calls(music) to indicate MB is over. Would be nice to have just an ON trigger until OFF is sent to the board.

Sorry, my intention was to provide the info for others, as I understood your point. Basically, the idea would be to have one sound event trigger on the relay and another sound event to trigger it off.

In looking more closely, the longest duration allowed is 10000ms (10 seconds), the max repeat loops is 10, and the minimum pause is 100 ms (1/10th of a second). I don't have anything connected to my relay, but I'm curious about something.

1) For your on-event, set the time to the max, loops to the max, and pause to the minimum. This would in effect give you a maximum runtime of 100 seconds with short .1 second pulses every 10 seconds which may or may not be acceptable to you.
    2) For your off-event, set the time to the min (100ms) and loops to 1.

Assuming you never needed more than 100 seconds of operation and that the pauses were acceptable, would the second event cancel out the first event event (in effect turning off the relay) if the initial event had not yet completed its full cycle?

#829 3 years ago

You pick the pin so that proper hardware is included, but the board is the same regardless.

1 week later
    #834 3 years ago

I haven't had time to work with the new software yet, but if you hover over the speaker do you get any kind of popup?

1 week later
    #839 3 years ago

There is an intermediate firmware required if you are on a really old firmware (I forget the version). I’m out of town right now for a few more days, but PM me later this week if PS does not reply.

3 weeks later
    #846 2 years ago

I've only used it some, but seems to work well for me - haven't worked with the PSREC feature yet.

3 weeks later
    #851 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ashram56:

OK, so just tested on another PC where it seems to work. Will have to think of reinstalling windows
    That said, I have a TZ which is fully equipped with Pinsound + Pinsound shaker. Working fine, but wanted to add a little bit more power to some events.
    Turns out that when I take the USB key on which all orchestrations are installed, if I copy the file over to my PC and open it, I can see the orchestration, but it does not display the embedded shaker settings. So I can't edit them (aside of recreating from scratch). Am I missing something ?

When you are playing the pin, is the shaker working when set to the orchestration you are trying to edit? Shaker settings should be saved in the pinsound.config files, but I'm wondering if for routines that are included in the firmware if something different is going on.

#855 2 years ago

Sort of. Some of us include shaker routines in the orchestrations we upload, so if you had one of these you could edit it.

As simple as it is to create a routine, most want it working out of the box which is why I believe PinSound has taken the path they have.

#857 2 years ago

Well, who knows if that creator follows this thread or not, so you may want to inquire in the TZ owners thread.

You can d/l the various available TZ orchestrations and see if any of them contain a shaker routine. Now, here is a bit of a tricky part in that orchestrations from the same game can have different naming conventions. If the conventions are the same between an orchestration that has a shaker routine and one that does not, then you can simply copy the pinsound.config file from the one with the shaker routine to the one without and you are off and running. However, if the one w/o the shaker routine uses a different naming convention (i.e. the folder names have different numbers) then you are back to square one starting from scratch to create a shaker routine for the orchestration (at lease you can reference the current one as long as you can align the sounds from one to the other given they are contained in folders with different names).

Hopefully, I'm explaining this clearly enough for others to understand.

#859 2 years ago

Sweet, thanks for the alert.

Looks like the firmware download link is broken for now: https://www.pinsound.org/help/pinsound-plus-help

#865 2 years ago

It downloaded for me just now, so I guess it works again.

I PM'd Nicholas, so maybe that did the trick (or was coincidental).

#872 2 years ago

Just Google "Youtube to MP3". I've used a few of them

Quoted from pinballjah:

Anyone got a working link to a site that will convert Youtube videos to MP3? My old site seems to be down. Thanks for the assistance.

Site may be back since the Fastly data outage has been corrected.

#875 2 years ago
    Quoted from mad_carl:

So this question may have been covered but I’ve searched a few times and haven’t found an answer.
    I have a Data East JP with a Neo board in it, everything works great but I cannot turn down the volume any lower than it currently is(or “mute” it), which is somewhat loud for when the family is asleep upstairs
    Same goes for the Plus board I currently have on loan in my WWFRR. Volume /gain controls on the board itself don’t help.
    The volume pot inside the cabinet door on both games is turned all the way down to its lowest. Both pots worked properly prior to the pinsound boards being installed and was. Am I missing something?

On Williams pins there is a minimum volume override that had to be disabled to address the exact issue you are referring to. However, I don't think a similar setting exists on the DE pins. I can't recall with my old DE JP I sold, but I always had a PinSound 1 with PinSound Headphones Station installed on it which gave me very fine control on volume leaves to the point of fully off to blowout my speakers and everywhere soft and loud in between.

I don't recall, but I don't think their is a volume control on the new boards is there (I do have a PinSound Plus on my Getaway, but again with a Headphones Station installed)?

Do you have a PinSound Headphones Station, and if not have you ever considered buying one? If if I were to never actually plug headphones in it the external volume control and ability to switch between orchestrations w/o having to open the coin door is a must for me. Unfortunately, I cannot say if this would or would not automatically solve your issue. Would be great if some current DE owners chimed in.

#877 2 years ago
    Quoted from mad_carl:

The Plus had the EQ adjustments on board I believe.
    I don’t have headphone station on either. No real desire for one to be honest.
    Maybe I’ll look into this minimum volume setting. I assume it’s in a config file somewhere on the SD card. Not the end of the world, but it would be nice to be able to mute a game if I had to, or at least turn it down a tad bit more.

No, min volume setting is a service adjustment in the pin's firmware, but again I don't think DE has this setting (just Williams and maybe others). Also, I know the EQ is on board, but the original PinSound 1 also have volume adjustments before they converted to the digital EQ.

Alternatively, you could probably add negative gain switches to the orchestration(s) you use via PinSound Studio Pro.

#878 2 years ago

I just looked up in my old JP manual, and there is a service setting for Background volume (Adj. 39 in JP). Not sure if this will help you or not.

#880 2 years ago
    Quoted from mad_carl:

No difference with the Background volume adjustment.
    Looked into the firmware and both boards were running older versions from 2018 (ver 18.x.x)
    Updated both and now the volume pot near the coin box is working great.
    Heads up, if you’re having similar issues with the minimum volume on Data East or System 11 games, try updating the firmware. Checking out the change log, there has been a few updates to address volume issues on these systems over the past few years.
    It’s literally just grabbing the file from the pinsound site and dragging it to the SD card and turning on your game.

Well darn, I shouldn't have assumed you were on new firmware. Definitely ALWAYS the first diagnostic step with PinSound is to upgrade to latest firmware.

1 month later
    #904 2 years ago

Per our PM conversation (posting here for benefit of others), you may be drawing too much voltage from the 5V feed. You need to stick a meter on the PS 5V port and see what it reads. Alternatively, I think the log file will also tell you the voltage level on boot. Even so, a meter is peter to watch to see if it dips prior to your issue.

Also, as a rule of thumb to test:

- Disconnect shaker and DMD from power
    - Reconnect/reseat all PinSound cables (power and data) at both/all termination points
    - Power on pin with just PS connected and see if issue still occurs

if issue no longer occurs
    - One at a time attached shaker and test again, then attach DMD and test again
    - If issue occurs when just shaker is attached, then disconnect and attach DMD then test again (i.e. determine if one or both of the extra items causes an issue)
    - Test 5V on PinSound if/when issue occurs

if issue still occurs
    - Again, check/test 5V supply to PinSound

#906 2 years ago

If you'll notice the icons under each game, that tells you what PinSound products are supported. For Beatles is the speaker kit (speaker icon) and accessories (flipper/wrench icon). Thus, you cannot install a PinSound board, but you can upgrade to their speakers, external volume control, and other items.

BTW, if you want to do custom orchestrations for Spike 2 pins, I suggest you explore the Pinball Browser software in other threads here on Pinside.

2 months later
    #915 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Has anyone had issues with both flippers intermittently going dead during multiball after installing Pinsound? It happens on my BSDracula.

Never heard of this, and can't really think of what might cause it other than a voltage drop for some reason.

3 months later
    #943 2 years ago
    Quoted from Averell:

Hello,
    with interest I've read the entire threat about PinSound.
    For my problem I haven't found a solution, but maybe someone can assist or help?
    I made a restoration of a Terminator 2 that nearly took 4 years due to different circumstances.
    In 2017 I bought a PinSound1 V1.4 at the Expo in Eindhoven.
    Two weeks ago I restart the Terminator for the first time, made some tests and games - ok.
    I installed PinSound1, but unfortunately it doesn't work properly.
    I have swapped it to my Indy with another PinSound1 with the same issues... only beeping while booting and no chance to make updates.
    I get in contact with PinSound and sent the board back to France where they wanted to check.
    Unfortunately it was damaged and no spare available, so I got an offer to buy PinSound+ with Motion Control.
    Yesterday the PinSound+ (V3.8) was delivered and I installed the board, but WTF... it even doesn't work in my T2 and Indy.
    If I start, the PinSound+ begins to check the USB Flashdrive, again, again and again... then Technical Problem.
    So I decided to format the Flashdrive (SanDisk 3.0 16GB) and copy the soundfiles again.
    After restart it took a while and PinSound+ unzipped all the files on the Flashdrive and a jingle appears.
    Then restart and while booting the LED flashes twice (white) and indicates a WPC89, then the LED turns pulsating green.
    But still no sound, only some annoying cracks and interrrupted boot.wav... after a while: "Please restart...".
    I cannot believe that either this board is malfunctional.
    PinSound+ writes a Log file and in the first section is written: NO HARDWARE DETECTED.
    I have checked all the wiring did some measurements and it is all right, so what went wrong?
    Any suggestions?

I would begin by ensuring you have the most recent firmware installed. I’m nice that is confirmed then download and install the original orchestration to see if that works.

#944 2 years ago
    Quoted from Reznnate:

Are you certain you've installed the stereo cable and speakers? Latest firmware?

Confirm physical install first. Then I would s look at the files themselves in audacity to see if the voice callouts have less amplitude than the other sounds. I would also pull the orchestration into PinSound Studio where you can see and/or apply volume adjustments.

#946 2 years ago
    Quoted from MG7322:

Yes, latest firmware installed and full pinsound speaker set. Factory wiring to speakers. (Installed by previous owner). I added pinsound plus board and downloaded software.
    Would be at ground zero on audacity and computer stuff. Never dug in that far. Kinda not my cup-o-tea…

Have you tried with an alternative orchestration?

https://www.pinsound-community.org/index.php?/files/category/69-tales-from-the-crypt/

#957 2 years ago

Not sure what you are talking about. The evolution of PinSound has trended towards being a highly end-user technical experience to create an implement orchestrations to a more plug-and-play solution which opens up the product to a much greater audience. While doing this they have still continued to produce software and leave the product open to end-use customization which is far more than would can be said about other pinball mod companines (ColorDMD comes to mind first).

The shaker routines that are now included in firmware were all developed by end-users like me, and PinSound figured out a way to implement them into all orchestrations by default via a firmware solution. Personally, I embed my shaker events in the config.pinsound file I upload with my orchestrations to the PinSound Community site, but I cannot speak for others. This way users are free to start with my events and customize.

I don't have my USB drive in my computer right now, but I believe the new PinSound firmware generates some sort of cache table for all of the sounds. This is why you can't just copy/paste a new sound onto the drive and have it work immediately. I've not messed with it for some time, so I can't remember what my workaround was but I'm sure if you played around with it you can figure out a shortcut beyound completely zipping your changes in a complete orchestration and reinstalling it.

#963 2 years ago
    Quoted from Averell:

OK, but is there a chance to get config-file for the shaker events that I can load into PinSoundStudio Pro?
    Or are there lists of soundfiles (number and name) with known values available?
    So I'll be able to rearrange the soundpack.
    The latest release for T2 with shaker events is perfect, but I want to edit them in PinSoundStudio Pro to add more effects via the extension relais on the motion control board.

I would say you have two possibilities to derive the existing shaker events of a given title so that you can maintain the core package and tweak:
    1) Download various orchestrations for the pin from the PinSound community forum and see if you get lucky with them being embedded in one of the config.pinsound files
    2) Figure out who did the shaker routine for PinSound for that title (ask the user group), and PM them to see if they will share the config.pinsound file with you. The caveat here is that this will only work with orchestrations that follow the same numbering conventions. Oddly enough, the same pin can have multiple folder numbering schemas and they will each work with their unique config file. I ALWAYS use the same convention on the games I dev for so that I can simply copy my config.pinsound file from one orchestration to the next and it brings over all of my settings (sounds, shaker events, relay events, etc.)

I've done 4 or 5 of the shaker routines (I forget exactly how many) that PinSound now uses - Getaway being by main baby, as anyone who is familiar with me knows.

1 month later
    #995 2 years ago
    Quoted from Averell:

Hello all,
    I need help or some tips on the following issue.
    How can I edit the Profanity Sound ROM from the T2 with PinSound so that I can determine the callout "FUA"?
    So how must the file be named and in which folder it must be placed?
    How do I have to proceed so that this works?
    I have the callout digitally remastered, but I just do not know how to integrate this with PinSound.
    I know that the Game ROM will also need to be replaced, but that is secondary for now.
    I am concerned with the procedure of how to do this.

You can use PinSound Studio Pro to easily load the orchestration and play through the sounds to determine where the sound is you are looking for. Replace the sound with your desired file (name doesn't matter) by deleting original file and replacing with yours - DO NOT CHANGE THE FOLDER NAME (at least the number portion). Alternatively, you can have multiple sound files in a folder and they will play randomly when that event occurs.

With the new PinSound structure, you'll need to delete the cache file from the drive and let it rebuild with the new sound file (this may not be necessary if you name the file the same exact thing).

1 week later
    #998 2 years ago
    Quoted from kba78:

I wonder if anyone has some insight on a problem I am having.
    I have an older pinsound v1.3 in a last action hero
    I load the USB with the downloaded sound files, start up the pinball and it proceeds to load as normal. When completed, I reboot the machine and no game sounds, just the normal boot sound.
    Here what I've tried
    Turn volume down then up, which produces a short sound
    Check votages- all good
    Tried multiple sound packages, as well as different games. Even a Williams Indiana Jones, with same results.
    I downloaded the most recent firmware, but when I try I to load it, the woman says "no audio files"?
    I've used pinsound+ with n problem, but never a pinsound 1
    I emailed the guys at pinsound, but haven't heard back. So I thought maybe someone else has insight.
    Any help or suggestions would be great

Is this a new install? Please post closeup of board where all connectors can be seen.

#1001 2 years ago
    Quoted from kba78:

I think it may have something to do with the firmware, but I can't seem to get it to update. Or even verify the firmware revision on the USB drive, for that matter
    Also new ribbon cables and verified the orientation

If an older firmware then there is a different process for getting the info. Is there a config.ini file on the root of the USB? If so you want to edit this file and add a line: debug = true

Doing this will cause the PinSound to write a text file to the drive on next boot that shows diagnostic info, firmware version, etc.)

Can you please check and report back?

#1005 2 years ago

Do you have Windows set to hide extensions for known file types? I'm betting that config file is the config.ini file (did you attempt to edit to see what was in it?)

#1007 2 years ago

Add the line I told you to the file, save it, copy to USB, put pack in PinSound, turn on pin, play a ball, turn off pin, put USB back in computer and see if a new file was added to the root (I forget what it will be named). If so, edit that file and post contents.

#1010 2 years ago

No, a new file will be created and saved in the root folder. Show me a pic of that.

#1012 2 years ago

Maybe config.ini is old/legacy then. I would reformat the drive (FAT 32) and copy the latest firmware for Pinsound 1 to the root (nothing else), and see if it updates.

#1014 2 years ago

Correct, I'm asking you to wipe the drive then attempt a firmware update only BEFORE you put any audio files on the drive.

#1017 2 years ago
    Quoted from kba78:

ok @mr.tantrum,
    update still does not take, just says no sounds of usb stick.
    then tried reinstall sounds, no go.
    everything is the same as it was.
    I can confirm that it converted all the files from oog to wav.
    i thought i read somewhere that there is a update in between mine and the most recent. i am version 1.3, I don't see another update on there website and they still have not responded to emails

Show me the root folder again. Depending on the folder structure, we can determine if you are on the older or new convention.

Until we know what firmware you are on, it is impossible to know if that is your issue or not. Your symptoms seem to point that you are on a legacy firmware, and depending on how old it is there are special instructions to update to most current (It won't just do it automatically). Any sound package you download will have been configured for only the newer firmware convention. While it may convert/unpack, it will never work.

If you don't see a pinsound-self-diagnosis.txt in the root then it is on an older firmware (with the newer firmware versions this file is automatically created on boot every time).

If that is the case then either edit (if it exist) or create a new config.ini file. Inside the config.ini file have these 2 lines:

[main]
    debug = true

Reboot pin, wait for PinSound to acknowledge, start a game, turn off pin & remove USB, then open USB on computer and there should be a diag file in the root.

#1019 2 years ago

I don't know what you are doing or how the structure is building, but the config.ini file should be in the root. The config.pinsound file is unique per orchestration, so you will have one of those in each orchestration folder.

Not sure any files would be hidden, but set windows to show hidden files to see if anything else shows up. BTW, the newer firmware versions not longer use config.ini, so the fact that it somehow popped up is supporting the fact that you may be on a legacy firmware.

Also, I was trying to get you to not install an orchestration yet - that is only compounding the troubleshooting complexity. Also, what the heck is going on with your dates? None of those folders were created in 1979.

#1022 2 years ago

A

Quoted from kba78:

Did exactly like you said with the config.ini file
    And no diagnosis show up, after a game.
    I'm guessing it's a firmware issue, just have no clue how to update it, especially when I don't even know what version it is currently

There is a process, but could potentially brick the PinSound. That is why it is 100% required we know the current firmware version.

So, when you download this file: https://www.pinsound.org/wp-content/uploads/releases/pinsound-update-20062.psrom

Copy it to the root of the USB, put USB in pin and power on, the PinSound does not go through a firmware update process?

#1023 2 years ago

Also, since you are in a DE pin have you checked the 5V with a meter on the PinSound? What other mods do you have in the game (color DMD, etc.) that are sucking power?

#1025 2 years ago

That points to you being on a legacy firmware since it does not recognize the new firmware file to install (or possibly it is already on that firmware, but I question that because if you were on a current firmware it would create the info file every time you reset it). As I mentioned, there is a special process if you are on a legacy firmware that I could help you with, but there is a potential for bricking the board.

Where did this board come from (yours or someone else's) and what game was it in before (I assume it was working fine)?

#1027 2 years ago
    Quoted from kba78:

Fellow pinsider that had it in a star trek next gen.
    I truly believe it worked, so I don't think I got ripped off.
    If you could help me with the firmware, I would appreciate it very much.i understand the risk, but the board is no good to me as it sits anyways

I'm sorry, but at this point you are going to have to await a response from PinSound to move to the next step.

#1030 2 years ago

Is this a new install? Are you 100% sure your ribbon cable is in the correct orientation (what you are describing is symptomatic of it being reversed based on others I have helped).

Just to verify, what version of PinSound and what firmware version are you running?

#1033 2 years ago

Did you change anything regarding the sounds? Sometimes when you hear a sound play it is actually multiple back to back sounds. If you lengthen the initial sound there there will be overlap when the second sound plays.

1 week later
    #1039 2 years ago

Do you only have one email address? If not, can you try another? Have a spouse/child/friend try?

2 weeks later
    #1051 1 year ago

Which PinSound Board?
    - Double check all connections (make sure they are correct orientation & also make sure pins are aligned correctly)
    - Did you adjust the volume on the pot dials on the PinSound Board?
    - Since this is a Williams pin, did you change settings to minimum volume override = off
    - What is the pin's volume setting at?
    - Do you get the same result with the standard sound package?

#1053 1 year ago
    Quoted from fossmin:

- Do you get the same result with the standard sound package? Sound worked fine prior to conversion.

No, I'm asking if you download the original orchestration version for the PinSound if/how that works.

#1056 1 year ago

Please post a zoomed in photo of your installed Pinsound that shows all connectors.

316 posts in this topic match your search for posts by Mr_Tantrum. You are on page 1 of 2.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mr_Tantrum.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tantrums-guide-to-pinsound?tu=Mr_Tantrum and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.