Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,404 posts
  • 156 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Pablito350
  • Topic is favorited by 242 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2659 (resized).jpeg
    File Content DE Audio FLAC (resized).JPG
    MM backbox (resized).jpg
    IMG_0831 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0830 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0829 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2024-01-21 190411 (resized).jpg
    1 (resized).jpeg
    ARCADE UPKEEP Dual Voltage PS02 (resized).png
    ARCADE UPKEEP Dual Voltage PS03 (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).JPG
    Capture (resized).JPG
    screenshot (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_8354 (resized).png
    IMG_8353 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

10 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Overview of Pinsound and what is needed to install and set up. Posted by Mr_Tantrum (7 years ago)

Post #137 Examples of event and the instrumental related to it. Posted by Mr_Tantrum (5 years ago)

Post #182 Pinsound + Board showing adjustments. Posted by pinballjah (4 years ago)

Post #246 Shaker Control Posted by Mr_Tantrum (4 years ago)

Post #247 How to edit shaker routines. Posted by Mr_Tantrum (4 years ago)

Post #263 Determining which Pinsound you have. Posted by Mr_Tantrum (3 years ago)

Post #267 USB drives that are compatible. Posted by pinballinreno (3 years ago)

Post #469 Normalizing sound files. Posted by Mr_Tantrum (3 years ago)

Post #489 Best to convert OGG files to WAV files. Posted by Mr_Tantrum (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mr_Outlane.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#914 2 years ago

Has anyone had issues with both flippers intermittently going dead during multiball after installing Pinsound? It happens on my BSDracula.

#916 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Never heard of this, and can't really think of what might cause it other than a voltage drop for some reason.

OK, thanks.
    it's probably something else causing it.

#918 2 years ago
    Quoted from MrMikeman:

The high current draw on the unregulated 12v is real. It could be the cause. On my LOTR(with ColorDMD as well) the Pinsound was pulling it down to less than 10v. In my case it’s the sound itself that sounded distorted and was cutting out.
    On WPC games the unregulated 12v is directly linked to the flipper optos.
    Not saying it’s your issue but shouldn’t be completely ignored.
    Pull the USB out of the pinsound and check the log. It will indicate the lowest and highest voltages on the 12v.

Will do!
    Thank you!
    I can install a separate power source for the 12v. I just can't find the specs on what ampacity to use?

#920 2 years ago
    Quoted from MrMikeman:

I buy them on Amazon. I typically get them at least 10A just to be sure. Somewhat like this:
    amazon.com link »

Here is the response from Pinsound tech support..

For information, the sound board amplifiers are powered by a dedicated transformer wiring. From what you explain, the PLUS sound board is not related to your issue.

Do you have a weak +5V powering your CPU?

Could you send us your "pinsound-self-diagnosis" file (located at the root of the flash drive)?

#921 2 years ago

I'll have to wait until I log more errors to pull the log file, as I deleted and rewrote the USB flash drive yesterday, because I'm editing the Pinsound sound library and corrupted it. It's not the most intuitive process from what I've seen so far!

Also, here is Chris Hibler's (board expert) response...

A few things could be in play.

First, the game could be thinking that all balls have drained.

Second,
    The ribbon between the MPU and FlipTronics board might not be seated. Reseat all four connectors on that ribbon a couple of times. Pull them off half way and then press them back on.

Third,
    Measure the regulated 12VDC power. It may be low.

#923 2 years ago

Damn!
    On BS Dracula, with the latest remix package, the game plays either the music theme or choir voices after the game ends. It alternates between these two every other game. I find this music theme to be too loud and kind of obnoxious. So, I tried locating it and changing it. The only file that I find of it is in the coffin multiball folder under music. It is the only file in there. But, this is not the coffin multiball music at all. If I replace it with another wave file with the same file name, it screws up the coffin multiball music which isn't the same music? Files with new names are ignored. But the end game music is now the file I replaced it with. How does this make any sense?

#924 2 years ago

"5. Within each sound folder you have the individual WAV sound file(s) - you can have more than one and they will be played randomly for that event"

I am unable to get this to work. Files with new names are ignored. I even tried short 3 character names. I have to rename the new file with the exact name as the original file for it to be played.

#926 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

Are you using the pinsound studio software?
    Volume control is there and you can play the files on the stick.

Ya, I tried to change the gain on that file and it corrupted the entire file to where Pinsound couldn't read it. Had to delete and recopy the library. I could try it again, but I wanted to add a different music theme from the original sound library. When I did that, it worked for the end game music, but it screwed up the coffin multi ball music. Makes no sense to me?

#928 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

Try a different USB flash drive.
    Im using this one and its working perfectly:
    amazon.com link »

That's the one I have! LOL! I ordered it with the kit.

#931 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mathazar:

It's been months since I've messed with this, but I got this working on my STTNG last year, including the random playing of multiple sound files for a particular event (in my case, left flipper button press during attract mode). IIRC correctly, the filenames can be any name as long as the folder they are in remains exactly the same (original name). If the newly added or renamed files are not being played, the pinsound board could be using an old cache file.
    Delete the ".cache" file that should be found in the root folder of the USB stick. Boot up the pin, and the pinsound lady should go thru the "checking sound files" routine as the cache file is rebuilt to the groovy music. Depending on the number of changes, this could take as little as a minute or as many as 10 or more. When complete, try triggering the new or changed sound files in the game.

Thank you!
    I will try this.

#932 2 years ago
    Quoted from MrMikeman:

End game music can be from another event. In the case of BSD it seems to be coffin MB. There’s no way to change just one. Did it not do this with the original sound board?
    There can also be a different music played for when you make the high score list. It most likely is the same music as another event as well.

Yes, the original sound board did play alternate files as well, at the end of game. I will just leave it alone then. I still wonder why adjusting the gain on the music file corrupted the whole thing?
    Thanks!

#934 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mathazar:

If the newly added or renamed files are not being played, the pinsound board could be using an old cache file.
    Delete the ".cache" file that should be found in the root folder of the USB stick. Boot up the pin, and the pinsound lady should go thru the "checking sound files" routine as the cache file is rebuilt to the groovy music.

Well, that was it! Deleting the cache solved the problem of other file names not being read and also the file getting corrupted when changing the gain in the Pinsound studio software. I just wish the game would always access the same folder at end of game so I wouldn't have to listed to that same music theme every other time! But at least now the volume isn't obnoxiously loud!

Thanks for the help fellas!!

#935 2 years ago

3 months later
    #965 2 years ago
    Quoted from Averell:

I
    As soon as I take out the USB stick and change and save something in PinSoundStudio Plus, the Soundpack no longer works in PinSound+. Then it checks the USB stick again and again and again, but it doesn't work anymore.

From Mathazar...
    If the newly added or renamed files are not being played, the pinsound board could be using an old cache file.

Delete the ".cache" file that should be found in the root folder of the USB stick. Boot up the pin, and the pinsound lady should go thru the "checking sound files" routine as the cache file is rebuilt to the groovy music. Depending on the number of changes, this could take as little as a minute or as many as 10 or more. When complete, try triggering the new or changed sound files in the game.

*** It worked for me!

#973 2 years ago

Also, unpack the files on your computer after downloading them before writing them to the USB stick. It's far faster than letting Pinsound do it! Remember to delete the cache file anytime you edit anything!!! Pinsound will rebuild it correctly.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mr_Outlane.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tantrums-guide-to-pinsound?tu=Mr_Outlane and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.