Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,397 posts
  • 155 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by PinDeadHead
  • Topic is favorited by 241 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2659 (resized).jpeg
    File Content DE Audio FLAC (resized).JPG
    MM backbox (resized).jpg
    IMG_0831 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0830 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0829 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2024-01-21 190411 (resized).jpg
    1 (resized).jpeg
    ARCADE UPKEEP Dual Voltage PS02 (resized).png
    ARCADE UPKEEP Dual Voltage PS03 (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).JPG
    Capture (resized).JPG
    screenshot (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_8354 (resized).png
    IMG_8353 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

10 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,397 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 28.
    #401 3 years ago
    Quoted from DeathHimself:

Other then that I don't know what to say other then I'm at the firmware just before this one and don't know if they removed that tune or not in the newest version. If you hadn't posted that link I wouldn't have known there was another firmware release, their site I find is a mess to navigate through.

Maybe update the firmware and see if the tune is still there!

#402 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

Maybe update the firmware and see if the tune is still there!

I would only if I know I can revert back if it isn't. There are times I boot and the shaker doesn't ready up so at least I know if I hear the tune or not versus having to play a game to then find out.

#403 3 years ago

I would only if I know I can revert back if it isn't. There are times I boot and the shaker doesn't ready up so at least I know if I hear the tune or not versus having to play a game to then find out.

I dont have my USB stick on a cable.
    Im using the sandisk USB 3.1 330 mb/sec mini usb sticks.

With the current firmware, Im not getting any issues on my bally game.

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-256GB-Ultra-Flash-Drive/dp/B077Y149DL

#404 3 years ago

So, I just downloaded the original orchestration from PinSound for Dr. Who, and the shaker routine is NOT embedded in the pinsound.config file. Therefore, the PinSound board with the latest firmware must generate it. I believe the procedure is to copy the zip file to the root of the USB, power on, and let it do the work of creating the orchestration folder and assigning the shakerization to the pinsound.config file.

You may have already said all of this, but I got behind on reading all of the posts you've put up. Have you tried deleting the pinsound.config file from the zip before you copy it to the USB. I don't recall if PinSound does this, but I'm curious if it might build the file from scratch and embed the shaker calls.

A couple of other clarifications:
    - Their are two ways to apply a shaker routine: 1) (I think this is how it works) It is embedded in the PinSound firmware which then updates the corresponding pinsound.config files when an orchestration is extracted on the USB, and 2) You take a known pinsound.config file that has a shaker routine built into it and copy that file to the folder of another orchestration for that same game with the same naming folder name structure.
    - PinSound does not create its own orchestrations or shaker routines. However, they do ask known and trusted PinSound supports, such as myself, with a proven history of creating orchestrations to also create shaker routines. Additionally, I assume anyone else can submit a shaker routine, but not sure what QC PinSound puts them through. They then embed the shaker routines for these games into the firmware which creates/edits the corresponding pinsound.config files.

If you just can't get it to work, then it's probably time to submit a detailed description of the issue to PinSound.

#405 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

So, I just downloaded the original orchestration from PinSound for Dr. Who, and the shaker routine is NOT embedded in the pinsound.config file. Therefore, the PinSound board with the latest firmware must generate it. I believe the procedure is to copy the zip file to the root of the USB, power on, and let it do the work of creating the orchestration folder and assigning the shakerization to the pinsound.config file.
    You may have already said all of this, but I got behind on reading all of the posts you've put up. Have you tried deleting the pinsound.config file from the zip before you copy it to the USB. I don't recall if PinSound does this, but I'm curious if it might build the file from scratch and embed the shaker calls.
    A couple of other clarifications:
    - Their are two ways to apply a shaker routine: 1) (I think this is how it works) It is embedded in the PinSound firmware which then updates the corresponding pinsound.config files when an orchestration is extracted on the USB, and 2) You take a known pinsound.config file that has a shaker routine built into it and copy that file to the folder of another orchestration for that same game with the same naming folder name structure.
    - PinSound does not create its own orchestrations or shaker routines. However, they do ask known and trusted PinSound supports, such as myself, with a proven history of creating orchestrations to also create shaker routines. Additionally, I assume anyone else can submit a shaker routine, but not sure what QC PinSound puts them through. They then embed the shaker routines for these games into the firmware which creates/edits the corresponding pinsound.config files.
    If you just can't get it to work, then it's probably time to submit a detailed description of the issue to PinSound.

Thank you so much for your kind attention to this!

I have done all of what you have said.

Except the deletion of the config file out of the zip package.

I'm going to try this just to see what happens.

Other than that I have already emailed pinsound with a description of what I have done and a copy of my diagnostic text.

All of this was out of curiosity!

Seeing the much awaited official shaker release, got me excited.

My custom orchestration with shakers works perfectly. It always boots, and is rock solid.

#406 3 years ago

My orchestration is going well but the music tracks seem a bit loud ever after normalization. I changed the global settings in pinstudio to reduce music and increase voice. Any other tips or suggestions?

#407 3 years ago
    Quoted from Boat:

My orchestration is going well but the music tracks seem a bit loud ever after normalization. I changed the global settings in pinstudio to reduce music and increase voice. Any other tips or suggestions?

Use audacity and lower the gains of the loud tracks to -12

#408 3 years ago

No, no shaker tune at all.
    Its puzzling

Okay finally did get a reply and if I read it correctly, they did remove the shaker chime in this firmware update. In the upcoming firmware update it will be user's choice whether to have the shaker chime enabled or disabled.

#409 3 years ago

Okay finally did get a reply and if I read it correctly, they did remove the shaker chime in this firmware update. In the upcoming firmware update it will be user's choice whether to have the shaker chime enabled or disabled.

Glad Nicolas listened to my input, and he even went a step further by allowing the user to choose if the chime plays or doesn't. I truly appreciate the PinSound brothers and how they approach things. They design and produce first-class technology mods, but then actually weigh and consider the input from users. Doesn't mean they always do everything we ask, but they do listen, evaluate, and implement if user suggestions are beneficial.

#410 3 years ago

Actually might have read it somewhat wrong before coffee this morning, it will be adjustable in the next pinsound studio software release not firmware lol. Hey either way it still works out for everyone. Here was his exact reply.

"Hi Mike,

Are you talking about the "shaker chime sound" that is played at startup?
    If yes, that's a feature that will be able to enable / disable in a next
    release of the PinSound Studio.
    In the actual firmware, it's disabled.

Thanks for your feedback, I do appreciate it
    Have a good day,
    Nicolas"

#411 3 years ago

Actually might have read it somewhat wrong before coffee this morning, it will be adjustable in the next pinsound studio software release not firmware lol. Hey either way it still works out for everyone. Here was his exact reply.
    "Hi Mike,
    Are you talking about the "shaker chime sound" that is played at startup?
    If yes, that's a feature that will be able to enable / disable in a next
    release of the PinSound Studio.
    In the actual firmware, it's disabled.
    Thanks for your feedback, I do appreciate it
    Have a good day,
    Nicolas"

Yes, that is what I assumed when I read your statement.

#412 3 years ago

This is good to know.
    I thought it might be broken lol

#413 3 years ago

Anyone done anything with Cirqus Voltaire yet?

#414 3 years ago
    Quoted from Globalcop:

Anyone done anything with Cirqus Voltaire yet?

Doesn't look like any custom orchestration is available. Several months ago I was helping a guy get started, but I guess nothing ever materialized. I don't know if someone has done one, but just hasn't posted to the community site, or if one doesn't exist yet.

#415 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ricochet:

I have the very same issue with my Pinsound not recognizing the USB. I have the high speed USB stick as well. My power supply is dead nuts on @ 5.095 (pinsound reports the same in diagnostics). However... I will say that I believe it has something to do with how the power supply comes up. The reason I say this is because I never had this issue... until i replaced my LM323 with the EZSBC PSU5. If my machine sits off for a bit (capacitance discharges) it will almost never come up on the first try. I'm not sure how pinsound has its power supply designed but I believe there is a sensitivity there on some units.

Did you get this figured out? I have a PSU5 in my DW and the PinSound operates flawlessly, boots super fast

#416 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Did you get this figured out? I have a PSU5 in my DW and the PinSound operates flawlessly, boots super fast

I need to get back to this... I've a temporary solution for the moment. It's going to take some time to get this setup so I can actually see whats happening during power up. It has to be some sort of transient phenomenon with my board set that PinSound is sensitive to.... as there are no other issues otherwise.

#417 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ricochet:

I need to get back to this

Now there's three of us that want to know

#418 3 years ago

i just updated firmware to 6-9-2020

improved shaker update for doctor who in the changelog.

still no detected official shakers.

what am i doing wrong?
    Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG
    Its possible that i need step by step instructions to try to reproduce the official shaker events on my game.

So far i get nothing.

I would very much like to contact someone who got it to work on doctor who.

My several emails to pinsound are unanswered.

It really cant be this difficult to get a premium product to work.

Very disappointed.

On other news, my current orchestration is doing very well!

Shakers on that are awesome.

But i really would like to get a shaker on my time expander.

#419 3 years ago

Is the old Pinsound Studio still available online? Don't really like the new version. Thanks.

#420 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

Is the old Pinsound Studio still available online? Don't really like the new version. Thanks.

No, but the old version is not compatible with the new format, so suck it up.

#421 3 years ago

Is there a way to prevent overlapping voice/sfx tracks?

#422 3 years ago
    Quoted from Boat:

Is there a way to prevent overlapping voice/sfx tracks?

What do you mean exactly?

Part of doing an orchestration sometimes is making your replacement clips about the same duration of the originals.

#423 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ricochet:

I need to get back to this... I've a temporary solution for the moment. It's going to take some time to get this setup so I can actually see whats happening during power up. It has to be some sort of transient phenomenon with my board set that PinSound is sensitive to.... as there are no other issues otherwise.

I wanted to share what I am seeing in case it helps with the diagnosis...

For me, it is not limited to the machine sitting idle for a while, coming up without sound, and then the sound working upon reboot.

In fact, I've found the sound is LESS likely to work when I am playing for a while then I turn the machine off and then immediately turn it back on. (usually because I give into the kids saying "just one more game" ) Most of the time I get will get no sound in that scenario.

#424 3 years ago
    Quoted from scootss:

I wanted to share what I am seeing in case it helps with the diagnosis...
    For me, it is not limited to the machine sitting idle for a while, coming up without sound, and then the sound working upon reboot.
    In fact, I've found the sound is LESS likely to work when I am playing for a while then I turn the machine off and then immediately turn it back on. (usually because I give into the kids saying "just one more game" ) Most of the time I get will get no sound in that scenario.

A few basics for troubleshooting all PinSound function irregularities.

- reformat or try a different USB drive, making sure FAT 32 is the format, and USB 3.0 or above.
    - make sure you have updated to the latest firmware and are running a new/recent version of the orchestration(s)
    - double check all physical connections (I would reseat all cables at both ends)
    - most importantly, put a meter on the 5V output on the PinSound and monitor voltage. Don’t just check it once, but hook the meter up and boot the pin watching if/how much it fluctuates, when, and what the range is.

Doing these initial steps will greatly help save time and troubleshooting when reporting issues to PinSound.

#425 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

What do you mean exactly?
    Part of doing an orchestration sometimes is making your replacement clips about the same duration of the originals.

If I hit one switch with a sound effect or callout it will continue to play while another starts.

There are alot of 1 second callouts so making them the same duration for the orchestration is not ideal.

#427 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

1. reformat or try a different USB drive, making sure FAT 32 is the format, and USB 3.0 or above.
    2. make sure you have updated to the latest firmware and are running a new/recent version of the orchestration(s)
    3. double check all physical connections (I would reseat all cables at both ends)
    4. most importantly, put a meter on the 5V output on the PinSound and monitor voltage. Don’t just check it once, but hook the meter up and boot the pin watching if/how much it fluctuates, when, and what the range is.

Thank you, as always. I have completed 1 & 2 (no help), but will try 3 & 4 and report back.

#428 3 years ago
    Quoted from scootss:

Thank you, as always. I have completed 1 & 2 (no help), but will try 3 & 4 and report back.

Not saying that any of these will solve your issue, but they are important initial troubleshooting steps giving you info to provide to PinSound when you report your issue.

I also encourage the use of the PinSound Q&A when searching for and/or reporting issues: https://qa.pinsound.org

Again, I don't represent PinSound nor am I compensated by them in any way. I'm just giving my opinions as an end-user based upon experience and what I know has helped others.

#429 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

A few basics for troubleshooting all PinSound function irregularities.
    - reformat or try a different USB drive, making sure FAT 32 is the format, and USB 3.0 or above.
    - make sure you have updated to the latest firmware and are running a new/recent version of the orchestration(s)
    - double check all physical connections (I would reseat all cables at both ends)
    - most importantly, put a meter on the 5V output on the PinSound and monitor voltage. Don’t just check it once, but hook the meter up and boot the pin watching if/how much it fluctuates, when, and what the range is.
    Doing these initial steps will greatly help save time and troubleshooting when reporting issues to PinSound.

Yeah I need to see what the 5 volt rail is doing on my system when it doesn’t start right. I want to compare it to what it does with my 12-5V hack in there. I suspect there is a transient that isn’t bad enough to affect the WPC system but PinSound doesn’t like it. Just need to make time to get back to it.

#430 3 years ago

About official shakers:

How do you get the firmware embedded shakers to work in a custom mix?

#431 3 years ago

About official shakers:
    How do you get the firmware embedded shakers to work in a custom mix?

I had no shaker events in my custom mix, so it just defaulted to the firmware one (DESW).

Might have to play with adding some and seeing how it works as I'll need to add them to my LW3 when the shaker gets here.

#432 3 years ago
    Quoted from cabuford:

I had no shaker events in my custom mix, so it just defaulted to the firmware one (DESW).
    Might have to play with adding some and seeing how it works as I'll need to add them to my LW3 when the shaker gets here.

So, if you have no shakers in your custom mix, or you remove all the shakers, its supposed to default to the embedded firmware shakers?

If you unzip multiple orchestrations to a USB stick that have no shakers, wiil they be added by default?

Can anyone else verify this?

I want to see this happen!

My firmware shakers arent working yet.

#433 3 years ago

Do you guys highly recommend the pinsound speaker kit? I have the stock sega speakers, they sound decent . I will probably throw in the pinsound ones just to know but wanted to hear your thoughts?

#434 3 years ago
    Quoted from Boat:

Do you guys highly recommend the pinsound speaker kit? I have the stock sega speakers, they sound decent . I will probably throw in the pinsound ones just to know but wanted to hear your thoughts?

I do. In one of my games, I went from stock DE to the PinSounds, and they were a significant improvement. In my other game, I went from budget aftermarket speakers that were much better than my OEM, but the PinSound ones added even more bass and clarity.

Of course, if you are only going to use the default orchestration in your game instead of a new remix, then new speakers aren't going to make much of a difference since the OEM orchestrations are lower quality to begin with.

#435 3 years ago
    Quoted from Boat:

I wanted a pinsound board and shaker kit from them so I said what the hell and just ordered the complete kit for my machine. I can honestly tell you their speakers kicks ass, they sound great with very good bass drive with nice mid to high range too and clear audio. I'd recommend them especially if you are already ordering from them to save on the shipping and get it all at once.

#436 3 years ago

I wanted a pinsound board and shaker kit from them so I said what the hell and just ordered the complete kit for my machine. I can honestly tell you their speakers kicks ass, they sound great with very good bass drive with nice mid to high range too and clear audio. I'd recommend them especially if you are already ordering from them to save on the shipping and get it all at once.

This is pretty much what I did, Its sitting here but just going back and forth. I feel like I need to install it just to know even if it will come out eventually.

The music should benefit from upgraded speakers.

Thanks guys!

#437 3 years ago

I have a noob question is the general consensus that it’s not worth doing for games that are just oem ( my example, baywatch) but is for games with a good remix (lah). I’m considering for lah because of the obnoxious buzz. Appreciate the input

#438 3 years ago
    Quoted from dimthedaylights:

I have a noob question is the general consensus that it’s not worth doing for games that are just oem ( my example, baywatch) but is for games with a good remix (lah). I’m considering for lah because of the obnoxious buzz. Appreciate the input

I've done it on my DESW and LW3 but I've also made custom mixes on my own. Still my favorite upgrade!

I've replaced all my speakers with ones found easily on Amazon.

#439 3 years ago

So, if you have no shakers in your custom mix, or you remove all the shakers, its supposed to default to the embedded firmware shakers?
    If you unzip multiple orchestrations to a USB stick that have no shakers, wiil they be added by default?
    Can anyone else verify this?
    I want to see this happen!
    My firmware shakers arent working yet.

UPDATE!

There is another firmware update from yesterday.

I reinstalled everything again from scratch.

SUCCESS!!!!!

Enbedded shakers are so cool!

I have no idea what my problem was but its all perfect now.

Im very happy with the result.

PINSOUND ROCKS!!!!!

#440 3 years ago

UPDATE!
    SUCCESS!!!!!

Now, how do I trick the pinsound into enabling the embedded shakers on my custom mixes?

They have done an excellent job on these.

Theres got to be a way to use them on all mixes.

#441 3 years ago

UPDATE!
    SUCCESS!!!!!
    PINSOUND ROCKS!!!!!

Curious does the shaker play a jingle on boot up or is it still silent?

#442 3 years ago

Now, how do I trick the pinsound into enabling the embedded shakers on my custom mixes?
    They have done an excellent job on these.
    Theres got to be a way to use them on all mixes.

As long as your mixes have the same naming convention regarding the folder structure, just copy the PinSound.config file from the orchestration with the working shaker into the orchestrations you wish to apply it to. However, if your custom orchestrations have a different naming convention, you're going to either have to redo them, go through the process of manually renaming them, or note all of the settings of the working orchestration in PinSound Studio Pro then manually apply the same settings to your custom orchestrations of a different naming convention.

#443 3 years ago

Looks like we are still on PinSound Studio Pro v19.09.3, so I would assume the jingle is probably still there and there is not yet a control to enable/disable it. Of course, just speculation on my part.

#444 3 years ago

Curious does the shaker play a jingle on boot up or is it still silent?

Firmware 6-18-20

Pinsound shaker tune is absent.

However there is new piano music during extraction.

Its really nice.

Evidently there are some internal changes.

My pinsound didnt work right on the last 2 updates.

Or it took a couple tries to get it to embed?

Either way im so relieved its not broken!

Now its perfect!

#445 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

As long as your mixes have the same naming convention regarding the folder structure, just copy the PinSound.config file from the orchestration with the working shaker into the orchestrations you wish to apply it to. However, if your custom orchestrations have a different naming convention, you're going to either have to redo them, go through the process of manually renaming them, or note all of the settings of the working orchestration in PinSound Studio Pro then manually apply the same settings to your custom orchestrations of a different naming convention.

Im gonna absolutely try this!

Thanks.

#446 3 years ago

Since you can run 2 or more copies of pinsound studio at once, its easy to compare line by line and reproduce settings from one mix to another.

The windows are so small they easily fit side by side.

#447 3 years ago

hi there,

thanks a lot for your guide!

Just got a pinsound for my radical.
    Tried putting some musics here and there without cropping => wasn't very good :-p which is why I looked and found your guide.

I do face some issues:
    - have put the original mix on the USB stick => I have sounds and music working at random. Same in test mode.
    - no PSREC file
    - on the root of the USB stick, no config.ini, no playback folder...

Any idea?

Radical is an awesome game with a crappy music, so wanted to change that thanks to the board; but right now I don't understand why I only have some random stuff poping up. When I put back the original board it works perfectly.
    Already have a pinsound in my LOTR and it works just fine.

#448 3 years ago

If you have not done so already, before doing any mods to the orchestration you need to upgrade to the latest firmware and download the OEM orchestration again if you've not done so in about 6 months or so as the conventions have changed.

You must manually create the config.ini file if you want to set the switch to create a psrec file. However, right now psrec files are useless since the functionality in PinSound Studio Pro has been deprecated (at least for now).

#449 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

If you have not done so already, before doing any mods to the orchestration you need to upgrade to the latest firmware and download the OEM orchestration again if you've not done so in about 6 months or so as the conventions have changed.
    You must manually create the config.ini file if you want to set the switch to create a psrec file. However, right now psrec files are useless since the functionality in PinSound Studio Pro has been deprecated (at least for now).

aaah ok

So how can I know what length should be each stuff? :-s
    Should have the latest firmware as only downloaded a few days ago.

For the config.ini, what should it include?

Only hoping I did not buy an expensive board for a specific purpose that can be reached anymore.. Bought the deported headset plug and speakers as wel....

#450 3 years ago
    Quoted from Nihonmasa:

aaah ok
    So how can I know what length should be each stuff? :-s
    Should have the latest firmware as only downloaded a few days ago.
    For the config.ini, what should it include?
    Only hoping I did not buy an expensive board for a specific purpose that can be reached anymore.. Bought the deported headset plug and speakers as wel....

New firmware available for pinsound plus on 6-18-20

There are 1,397 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 28.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tantrums-guide-to-pinsound/page/9?hl=pinballjah and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.