Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,404 posts
  • 156 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by Pablito350
  • Topic is favorited by 242 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2659 (resized).jpeg
    File Content DE Audio FLAC (resized).JPG
    MM backbox (resized).jpg
    IMG_0831 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0830 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0829 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2024-01-21 190411 (resized).jpg
    1 (resized).jpeg
    ARCADE UPKEEP Dual Voltage PS02 (resized).png
    ARCADE UPKEEP Dual Voltage PS03 (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).JPG
    Capture (resized).JPG
    screenshot (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_8354 (resized).png
    IMG_8353 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

10 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,404 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 29.
    #201 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

The config.ini file belongs at the root level of the USB drive (i.e. not in an orchestration sub folder). However, I do believe you can put settings files down to the sound file folder level (I've not done it), but don't recall off the top of my head what settings you can apply and what the file name needs to be. If you search hard enough on PinSide, you can probably find the answers (or just trial and error on your own).
    You also have to be aware that PinSound Studio has changed significantly with PinSound Studio Pro. Many things no longer apply. The main emphasis of PSSP was to enable shaker programming, and many of the other features previously in PSS will make their way into the application in due time.

GREAT call on PSSP vs PSS. It May be worthwhile for folks without a shaker to keep PSS for the time being. Much good advice here ^^^

#202 4 years ago
    Quoted from Biglouie:

Thanks Mr Tantrum. I'll do some more reading...
    Is it worth hunting down a copy of the previous version in your opinion?

No, because it doesn’t work with the new formatting.

#203 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

No, because it doesn’t work with the new formatting.

The old version is useless now with the new formatting and newer firmwares. PinSound is in a transition now for the better, and we just have to be patient with PSSP development.

#204 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

The old version is useless now with the new formatting and newer firmwares. PinSound is in a transition now for the better, and we just have to be patient with PSSP development.

unless one has held off on upgrading firmware! I wonder if it can be downgraded?hm..

#205 4 years ago

It's useful just getting down a previous orchestration,playing it on the machine and noting down the areas where you (personally) feel the sound is either not the right pitch (two tunes clash) or just where effects don't work with the music for you.

Find those in studio, record your own in Audacity, dump em in the folders and have another play through. It's daunting to think you have to do everything, but with all the work you guys have done already, it opens the exercise up to more people.

Thank you for all the info , really appreciate it.

#206 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

So is it better to not update my card’s firmware if I don’t plan to use a shaker? Just worried it may screw up orchestrations I am already using. Thanks.

#207 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

So is it better to not update my card’s firmware if I don’t plan to use a shaker? Just worried it may screw up orchestrations I am already using. Thanks.

The problem will come if/when you start to share your orchestrations with others. Progress, my friend.

#208 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

unless one has held off on upgrading firmware! I wonder if it can be downgraded?hm..

Yeah, I kicked and screamed for a little bit, but finally got over it. I didn't have any legacy firmwares, so I was unable to test if downgrading works.

#209 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

The problem will come if/when you start to share your orchestrations with others. Progress, my friend.

All my orchestrations are on the Community site. Haven’t heard anyone complain about them not working ok. I thought they were updating all the orchestrations in the community?

#210 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

All my orchestrations are on the Community site. Haven’t heard anyone complain about them not working ok. I thought they were updating all the orchestrations in the community?

They won't work with the shaker if they are in the old format. However, PinSound has gone through and converted them all (I think) to the new format.

#211 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

They won't work with the shaker if they are in the old format. However, PinSound has gone through and converted them all (I think) to the new format.

I downloaded last night and it worked ok in a card that did not have the updated firmware.

#212 4 years ago

Spending a bit of time organising the original sounds, to try and understand what they are and how long they are and how they are structured. EG a piece of music might be the same and used 3 times, but each has a different start, as its used in different places. All very cool.

It would be great to understand where each piece of music plays. You can sort of pick that up from the folder names or the file names, but many are duplicates or with slight differences. Just trying to understand the soundscape that was originally constructed. I love a good "absolutely no need" project..

Mr_Tantrum did you follow any process when you started out trying to understand how things fitted together? Deconstruction!

#213 4 years ago
    Quoted from Biglouie:

Spending a bit of time organising the original sounds, to try and understand what they are and how long they are and how they are structured. EG a piece of music might be the same and used 3 times, but each has a different start, as its used in different places. All very cool.
    It would be great to understand where each piece of music plays. You can sort of pick that up from the folder names or the file names, but many are duplicates or with slight differences. Just trying to understand the soundscape that was originally constructed. I love a good "absolutely no need" project..
    mr_tantrum did you follow any process when you started out trying to understand how things fitted together? Deconstruction!

I created a runsheet for all of the music I use in each orchestration. Some is a little descriptive, but basically I just kind of know where the songs are played and how I want them to sound. Here's an example of my Getaway HS2 Techno orchestration.
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#214 4 years ago

Brilliant, exactly the conclusion I have been coming to this evening, I feel like i need to know what runs when...I notice all the music in the original is 2 minutes long, I guess you figured out that was pretty unnecessary in length?

OFF TOPIC (ISH) - There is a sound in the original orchestration, called Electric. There are various versions, differing pitches. I'd love to know when that sound is triggered and for what (my Getaway plays this sound randomly, so I'd like to ID it!)

Thanks again for the help, really appreciate it..

#215 4 years ago

I've done full runsheets including shaker actions for each of my commissioned orchestrations. It really helps with knowing what is what, so to speak.

You'll find that some music and sounds are overkill timewise. Also, some SFX need to fall within the original time range or you'll end up cutting them off. Just takes trial and error.

I've definitely heard the electric sounds in the game, just can't recall exactly what triggers each of them.

#216 4 years ago
    Quoted from Biglouie:

Brilliant, exactly the conclusion I have been coming to this evening, I feel like i need to know what runs when...

This would be a lot of work for any game. There is a lot of repetition in most games I find. I usually organize the file names in order so I know how many songs I basically need to come up with for the orchestration. But I usually use multiple tracks for each folder. I find it gets too boring to hear the same song at the start of each ball, etc.

#217 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

This would be a lot of work for any game. There is a lot of repetition in most games I find. I usually organize the file names in order so I know how many songs I basically need to come up with for the orchestration. But I usually use multiple tracks for each folder. I find it gets too boring to hear the same song at the start of each ball, etc.

Thats a really good point, you almost need a few choices for the game that all fit. For example, when the ball is in the shooter lane, it feels like you want the start of a tune, thats the tune that ends up playing full on when you shoot.. So its flows, but kicks off when it launches...Feels like that for Le grange a bit...

Mr_Tantrum I was wondering about your screenshot above, where you list the tracks. How does the numbering work out for you? I have very loooooong numbers for each of my folders...You have lovely neat, 0000001-ball_in_shooter do the numbers matter as far as you know for Pinsound? I assume so right? Maybe you renamed somehow?

I am building a sheet to understand, happy to share it...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jLyVF5OZ_mB9qRxYEOd3qhSx9Z-MZ6NYplx2Y0AyBvM/edit?usp=sharing

#218 4 years ago
    Quoted from Biglouie:

mr_tantrum I was wondering about your screenshot above, where you list the tracks. How does the numbering work out for you? I have very loooooong numbers for each of my folders...You have lovely neat, 0000001-ball_in_shooter do the numbers matter as far as you know for Pinsound? I assume so right? Maybe you renamed somehow?

Sorry, my mistake, was in a hurry. That capture is from the old numbering system. The new numbers are much longer.

#219 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Sorry, my mistake, was in a hurry. That capture is from the old numbering system. The new numbers are much longer.

Shame, I like the neatness of the old one then!

#220 4 years ago

Is there a way to have two different volume levels in one file? Not sure if Audacity can do this.

More for tracks at the end of the game where you want normal volume for 20 seconds and then you want the volume much lower. The other option is a long fade out. Thanks.

#221 4 years ago

Sure, just select the range of a track you want to modify and only apply the amplify effect to it instead of the entire track.

Fade works the same way, select the area you want to modify then apply the fade in or fade out effect to it.

#222 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Sure, just select the range of a track you want to modify and only apply the amplify effect to it instead of the entire track.
    Fade works the same way, select the area you want to modify then apply the fade in or fade out effect to it.

Thank you for the suggestions. Will try it.

#223 4 years ago

Started a new thread for any Pinsound projects people are working on or thinking of creating. Please post any Pinsound orchestrations you are working on or concepts you have that you would like feedback on. Thanks.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsound-projects-list-here#post-5424465

#224 4 years ago

Anyone know if a Pinsound card can be swapped from a Williams to a Stern? I see the Stern boards are $30 more so I don't think this is possible. I know the Williams board can be used on a Data East. If not, is there an adapter to make this possible? Like to try one of the boards out in my Elvis. Thanks.

#226 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Looks like there is an adapter kit you need. Have you seen this item and watched the installation video?
    https://www.pinsound.org/shop/index.php?id_product=40&controller=product&id_lang=1
    https://www.pinsound.org/whitestar

Thanks. Wish I knew about this when I ordered one of my Pinsound boards (before I bought the Stern). With the board its $40 extra, if I buy it separately its $130. Something to think about when you order the board, whether you may want to use it on a Stern one day. Get the Stern version and save yourself $90!

#227 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

Thanks. Wish I knew about this when I ordered one of my Pinsound boards (before I bought the Stern). With the board its $40 extra, if I buy it separately its $130. Something to think about when you order the board, whether you may want to use it on a Stern one day. Get the Stern version and save yourself $90!

Wow that is bullshit. Wtf are they thinking ?

#228 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

I would suggest you contact them. May be more to it than things appear, or could even be a mistake.

#229 4 years ago

I installed the Pinsound 1 board in my lotr today and the external Subwoofer and cabinet speaker isn’t working anymore. The external sub is wired directly the sub in the cabinet.

If I unplug the external sub, the cabinet speaker starts working and the overall sound is enhanced.

Do I have to hook up the external sub differently with the PinSound board installed?

#230 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tres:

I installed the Pinsound 1 board in my lotr today and the external Subwoofer and cabinet speaker isn’t working anymore. The external sub is wired directly the sub in the cabinet.
    If I unplug the external sub, the cabinet speaker starts working and the overall sound is enhanced.
    Do I have to hook up the external sub differently with the PinSound board installed?

Yeah. Sounds like you should.

Speakers have different impedance which affects how much power they can provide. You may need to ditch the external sub, or at least find a different way to power it so that it doesn’t interfere with the main game sub. Or disconnect the cabinet woofer so you can just feed the powered sub.

#231 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tres:

The PinSound board has an RCA out. You need to use this connection.

https://qa.pinsound.org/613/best-way-to-wire-powered-subwoofer?show=614#a614

#232 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

But I usually use multiple tracks for each folder. I find it gets too boring to hear the same song at the start of each ball, etc.

Agreed ... I do that as well

#233 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I would suggest you contact them. May be more to it than things appear, or could even be a mistake.

They offered me the same price, which is fair. Always good service.

2 months later
    #234 4 years ago

Isn't now the time to create some new mixes?

I actually worked out a way of making a new mix - using free software on the net.

Doing a MB Queen mix, plus an ABBA MB mix, and a Sweet MB mix.

Just got to decide where to put various songs.

#235 4 years ago

Yes, now would be a great time to see a multitude of new PinSound orchestrations drop.

#236 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Yes, now would be a great time to see a multitude of new PinSound orchestrations drop.

I would be great to see pinsound shaker mixes done.

Im having a terrible time sorting mine out.

#237 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

I would be great to see pinsound shaker mixes done.
    Im having a terrible time sorting mine out.

PM me with details and maybe I can help.

#238 4 years ago

Just installed a PS+ on my Demolition Man. Uploaded the compressed files, yada yada. Board kept telling me to restart machine now. I’d restart, same thing over and over. Third time tells me drive error. Brand new PNY thumb drive, turned out to be a damaged drive. Same process again with another drive, works flawlessly.

Meh. Cost of doing upgrades. Now...

Who is doing a DM remix?

#239 4 years ago

I have a Pinsound+ board in my IJ. I’m debating between a Pinsound+ shaker and a pinshaker shaker motor. Any thoughts? Is the Pinsound shaker easy to install? Thank you.

#240 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

I have a Pinsound+ board in my IJ. I’m debating between a Pinsound+ shaker and a pinshaker shaker motor. Any thoughts? Is the Pinsound shaker easy to install? Thank you.

Pinshaker is WAAAAAAY easier to install and configure. The downside is you can't program *exactly* what you might want - say you wanted the shaker to only go off when Short Round says "you cheating Dr. Jones". You couldn't do that. Pinsound shaker would let you do that, however IMO it is far more frustrating to set up. Depends on how customized you want it, bottom line.

#241 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Pinshaker is WAAAAAAY easier to install and configure. The downside is you can't program *exactly* what you might want - say you wanted the shaker to only go off when Short Round says "you cheating Dr. Jones". You couldn't do that. Pinsound shaker would let you do that, however IMO it is far more frustrating to set up. Depends on how customized you want it, bottom line.

Okay. Thank you! I’m not super picky about when the shaker goes off. I just want a fairly easy install.

#242 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

Okay. Thank you! I’m not super picky about when the shaker goes off. I just want a fairly easy install.

Basic settings on the pinsound shaker have you up and running in 5 mins.

Its the nuances and getting it perfect that takes time.

The pinsound shaker has all the control you would ever want.

But you can spend a lot if time getting it perfect.

I think that after getting it perfect, it would be good to share it.

#243 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

I would highly recommend the PinSound shaker as I have them both in my Getaway and Jurassic Park. If there is already a shaker routine for your game then it is plug and play as long as you have updated PinSound firmware. If not, with no experience you can install the software, make a routine, and be up and shaking in less than an hour. The PinSound Shaker is triggered by sound events and you can assign one of 9 preprogrammed shaker routines plus 3 custom routines you define.

I’ve done 6 or 7 different shaker routines for various pins, and I think PinSound is using 5 of mine as their default. Cool thing is that anyone can easily modify any existing routine to their liking with the free software in a matter of just a few minutes. Funny thing is that I swore to myself that I didn’t need a shaker in any of my games. Guess what, now I have shakers in all three, and two are PinSound (the other is factory AFMr LE).

The physical install is a snap. Comes with simple instructions and a hole template. Run the cable up to the Control board in the backbox that plugs into the PinSound and you’re all done.

#244 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I would highly recommend the PinSound shaker as I have them both in my Getaway and Jurassic Park. If there is already a shaker routine for your game then it is plug and play as long as you have updated PinSound firmware. If not, with no experience you can install the software, make a routine, and be up and shaking in less than an hour. The PinSound Shaker is triggered by sound events and you can assign one of 9 preprogrammed shaker routines plus 3 custom routines you define.
    I’ve done 6 or 7 different shaker routines for various pins, and I think PinSound is using 5 of mine as their default. Cool thing is that anyone can easily modify any existing routine to their liking with the free software in a matter of just a few minutes. Funny thing is that I swore to myself that I didn’t need a shaker in any of my games. Guess what, now I have shakers in all three, and two are PinSound (the other is factory AFMr LE).
    The physical install is a snap. Comes with simple instructions and a hole template. Run the cable up to the Control board in the backbox that plugs into the PinSound and you’re all done.

Does IJ have a shaker routine available? If so, where?

#245 4 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

Who is doing a DM remix?

Looks like you're the man. If you get to the point where you have ideas but not the desire/ability/time to execute, my services are always for hire. It does take some collaboration on the part of the one paying for me to do the mix since I don't have the pin, but I've actually done several mixes this way. You can PM me if you are interested in learning more.

#246 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

Does IJ have a shaker routine available? If so, where?

All of the shaker routines are embedded in the PinSound firmware and orchestration. Here is the list of current shaker routines already released and IJ is on there: https://www.pinsound.org/motion-control

Just install the shaker, make sure your PinSound has updated firmware, download one of the custom orchestrations from the PinSound community forum (or the default one), and you should be golden.

#247 4 years ago

FYI, here is a basic video on how to create/modify a PinSound Motion Control Shaker routine using the free PinSound Studio Pro - Yes, it is really that simple. While a basic shaker routine can be created in just a few minutes, the time, skill, and art all come in tweaking everything to your exact liking.

#248 4 years ago

BTW, to those of you who have created complete shaker routines from games not currently on the list, I highly suggest you PM PinSound and let them know that you are willing to share. They will add support for it in the firmware for everyone to enjoy. This is what I did for my two personal games (Getaway & DE Jurassic Park), and three games that I was commissioned to create routines for where the buyers gave me permission to share (Batman Forever, DE Star Trek, and Terminator 3).

#249 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

Basic settings on the pinsound shaker have you up and running in 5 mins.
    Its the nuances and getting it perfect that takes time.
    The pinsound shaker has all the control you would ever want.
    But you can spend a lot if time getting it perfect.
    I think that after getting it perfect, it would be good to share it.

Much better way to articulate this -

#250 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Looks like you're the man. If you get to the point where you have ideas but not the desire/ability/time to execute, my services are always for hire. It does take some collaboration on the part of the one paying for me to do the mix since I don't have the pin, but I've actually done several mixes this way. You can PM me if you are interested in learning more.

PM sent. Looking forward to expanding the Pinsound library.

There are 1,404 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 29.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tantrums-guide-to-pinsound/page/5?hl=biglouie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.