2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 223 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by pinballjah
  • Topic is favorited by 122 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 11 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
    658D1D92-8874-45C1-99B7-4ED603983BDA (resized).jpeg
    59236C1F-C60B-4B8F-B904-894E224F6A97 (resized).jpeg
    BDED803C-86B7-417C-A207-C2798E53EAE8 (resized).jpeg
    5.jpg
    4.jpg
    3.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.jpg

There are 223 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
    #201 9 days ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

The config.ini file belongs at the root level of the USB drive (i.e. not in an orchestration sub folder). However, I do believe you can put settings files down to the sound file folder level (I've not done it), but don't recall off the top of my head what settings you can apply and what the file name needs to be. If you search hard enough on PinSide, you can probably find the answers (or just trial and error on your own).
    You also have to be aware that PinSound Studio has changed significantly with PinSound Studio Pro. Many things no longer apply. The main emphasis of PSSP was to enable shaker programming, and many of the other features previously in PSS will make their way into the application in due time.

GREAT call on PSSP vs PSS. It May be worthwhile for folks without a shaker to keep PSS for the time being. Much good advice here ^^^

#202 9 days ago
    Quoted from Biglouie:

Thanks Mr Tantrum. I'll do some more reading...
    Is it worth hunting down a copy of the previous version in your opinion?

No, because it doesn’t work with the new formatting.

#203 9 days ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

No, because it doesn’t work with the new formatting.

The old version is useless now with the new formatting and newer firmwares. PinSound is in a transition now for the better, and we just have to be patient with PSSP development.

#204 9 days ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

The old version is useless now with the new formatting and newer firmwares. PinSound is in a transition now for the better, and we just have to be patient with PSSP development.

unless one has held off on upgrading firmware! I wonder if it can be downgraded?hm..

#205 9 days ago

It's useful just getting down a previous orchestration,playing it on the machine and noting down the areas where you (personally) feel the sound is either not the right pitch (two tunes clash) or just where effects don't work with the music for you.

Find those in studio, record your own in Audacity, dump em in the folders and have another play through. It's daunting to think you have to do everything, but with all the work you guys have done already, it opens the exercise up to more people.

Thank you for all the info , really appreciate it.

#206 9 days ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

So is it better to not update my card’s firmware if I don’t plan to use a shaker? Just worried it may screw up orchestrations I am already using. Thanks.

#207 9 days ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

So is it better to not update my card’s firmware if I don’t plan to use a shaker? Just worried it may screw up orchestrations I am already using. Thanks.

The problem will come if/when you start to share your orchestrations with others. Progress, my friend.

#208 9 days ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

unless one has held off on upgrading firmware! I wonder if it can be downgraded?hm..

Yeah, I kicked and screamed for a little bit, but finally got over it. I didn't have any legacy firmwares, so I was unable to test if downgrading works.

#209 9 days ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

The problem will come if/when you start to share your orchestrations with others. Progress, my friend.

All my orchestrations are on the Community site. Haven’t heard anyone complain about them not working ok. I thought they were updating all the orchestrations in the community?

#210 9 days ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

All my orchestrations are on the Community site. Haven’t heard anyone complain about them not working ok. I thought they were updating all the orchestrations in the community?

They won't work with the shaker if they are in the old format. However, PinSound has gone through and converted them all (I think) to the new format.

#211 8 days ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

They won't work with the shaker if they are in the old format. However, PinSound has gone through and converted them all (I think) to the new format.

I downloaded last night and it worked ok in a card that did not have the updated firmware.

#212 7 days ago

Spending a bit of time organising the original sounds, to try and understand what they are and how long they are and how they are structured. EG a piece of music might be the same and used 3 times, but each has a different start, as its used in different places. All very cool.

It would be great to understand where each piece of music plays. You can sort of pick that up from the folder names or the file names, but many are duplicates or with slight differences. Just trying to understand the soundscape that was originally constructed. I love a good "absolutely no need" project..

mr_tantrum did you follow any process when you started out trying to understand how things fitted together? Deconstruction!

#213 7 days ago
    Quoted from Biglouie:

Spending a bit of time organising the original sounds, to try and understand what they are and how long they are and how they are structured. EG a piece of music might be the same and used 3 times, but each has a different start, as its used in different places. All very cool.
    It would be great to understand where each piece of music plays. You can sort of pick that up from the folder names or the file names, but many are duplicates or with slight differences. Just trying to understand the soundscape that was originally constructed. I love a good "absolutely no need" project..
    mr_tantrum did you follow any process when you started out trying to understand how things fitted together? Deconstruction!

I created a runsheet for all of the music I use in each orchestration. Some is a little descriptive, but basically I just kind of know where the songs are played and how I want them to sound. Here's an example of my Getaway HS2 Techno orchestration.

#214 7 days ago

Brilliant, exactly the conclusion I have been coming to this evening, I feel like i need to know what runs when...I notice all the music in the original is 2 minutes long, I guess you figured out that was pretty unnecessary in length?

OFF TOPIC (ISH) - There is a sound in the original orchestration, called Electric. There are various versions, differing pitches. I'd love to know when that sound is triggered and for what (my Getaway plays this sound randomly, so I'd like to ID it!)

Thanks again for the help, really appreciate it..

#215 7 days ago

I've done full runsheets including shaker actions for each of my commissioned orchestrations. It really helps with knowing what is what, so to speak.

You'll find that some music and sounds are overkill timewise. Also, some SFX need to fall within the original time range or you'll end up cutting them off. Just takes trial and error.

I've definitely heard the electric sounds in the game, just can't recall exactly what triggers each of them.

#216 7 days ago
    Quoted from Biglouie:

Brilliant, exactly the conclusion I have been coming to this evening, I feel like i need to know what runs when...

This would be a lot of work for any game. There is a lot of repetition in most games I find. I usually organize the file names in order so I know how many songs I basically need to come up with for the orchestration. But I usually use multiple tracks for each folder. I find it gets too boring to hear the same song at the start of each ball, etc.

#217 7 days ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

This would be a lot of work for any game. There is a lot of repetition in most games I find. I usually organize the file names in order so I know how many songs I basically need to come up with for the orchestration. But I usually use multiple tracks for each folder. I find it gets too boring to hear the same song at the start of each ball, etc.

Thats a really good point, you almost need a few choices for the game that all fit. For example, when the ball is in the shooter lane, it feels like you want the start of a tune, thats the tune that ends up playing full on when you shoot.. So its flows, but kicks off when it launches...Feels like that for Le grange a bit...

mr_tantrum I was wondering about your screenshot above, where you list the tracks. How does the numbering work out for you? I have very loooooong numbers for each of my folders...You have lovely neat, 0000001-ball_in_shooter do the numbers matter as far as you know for Pinsound? I assume so right? Maybe you renamed somehow?

I am building a sheet to understand, happy to share it...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jLyVF5OZ_mB9qRxYEOd3qhSx9Z-MZ6NYplx2Y0AyBvM/edit?usp=sharing

#218 7 days ago
    Quoted from Biglouie:

mr_tantrum I was wondering about your screenshot above, where you list the tracks. How does the numbering work out for you? I have very loooooong numbers for each of my folders...You have lovely neat, 0000001-ball_in_shooter do the numbers matter as far as you know for Pinsound? I assume so right? Maybe you renamed somehow?

Sorry, my mistake, was in a hurry. That capture is from the old numbering system. The new numbers are much longer.

#219 6 days ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Sorry, my mistake, was in a hurry. That capture is from the old numbering system. The new numbers are much longer.

Shame, I like the neatness of the old one then!

#220 3 days ago

Is there a way to have two different volume levels in one file? Not sure if Audacity can do this.

More for tracks at the end of the game where you want normal volume for 20 seconds and then you want the volume much lower. The other option is a long fade out. Thanks.

#221 3 days ago

Sure, just select the range of a track you want to modify and only apply the amplify effect to it instead of the entire track.

Fade works the same way, select the area you want to modify then apply the fade in or fade out effect to it.

#222 3 days ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Sure, just select the range of a track you want to modify and only apply the amplify effect to it instead of the entire track.
    Fade works the same way, select the area you want to modify then apply the fade in or fade out effect to it.

Thank you for the suggestions. Will try it.

#223 2 days ago

Started a new thread for any Pinsound projects people are working on or thinking of creating. Please post any Pinsound orchestrations you are working on or concepts you have that you would like feedback on. Thanks.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsound-projects-list-here#post-5424465

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 214.99
    $ 64.00
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 26.95
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Gameroom Mods
    $ 9.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    PinWoofer
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 79.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Arcade Upkeep
    $ 39.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    There are 223 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside