New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 186644)

Mr. Tantrum's Guide to PinSound

By Mr_Tantrum

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 610 posts
  • 67 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 19 hours ago by Blackjacker
  • Topic is favorited by 158 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 32 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

PinsoundCard (resized).jpg
    folder_structure (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 3.16.52 PM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 5.01.53 PM (resized).png
    schema.jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    0812201957 (resized).jpg
    0812201956 (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).JPG
    pinsound shaker (resized).jpg
    new shakerization (resized).jpg
    pinsound diags (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

10 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 610 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 13.
    #151 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Take the existing sound out of that folder (keep it! Save it elsewhere) and leave just your sound in there. Finish a game and see if it plays. If your sound does play, you can put the original one back in there too. They will both play inside the folder.

I’m betting there’s something else going on - maybe your file isn’t the right format. It must be an uncompressed .WAV file, not an mp3, ogg or other file.

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a shot. It should be the right format. I edited it in Audacity then exported it as a 16-bit .wav file. I did the same thing to replace one of the existing songs in the mix, and that one plays fine in the game.

#152 1 year ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a shot. It should be the right format. I edited it in Audacity then exported it as a 16-bit .wav file. I did the same thing to replace one of the existing songs in the mix, and that one plays fine in the game.

If it doesn’t play using the steps I outlined, open the file in Audacity and re-save it. Maybe something went wrong the first time

#153 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

If it doesn’t play using the steps I outlined, open the file in Audacity and re-save it. Maybe something went wrong the first time

I'm extracting a new sound package right now, so I won't be able to get to it until tomorrow. I'll definitely keep you guys posted.

#154 1 year ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Could be working fine, and just luck of the draw. I’ve got 4-5 tracks in my Game Over folder in my GNR, and I’ve had the same one play 5-6 times in a row.

#155 1 year ago

Set your game to one ball per game and play several. Also, are you 100% sure there is not another event in the Music folder that is playing instead of the one you think?

#156 1 year ago
    Quoted from Blackjacker:

Could be working fine, and just luck of the draw. I’ve got 4-5 tracks in my Game Over folder in my GNR, and I’ve had the same one play 5-6 times in a row.

LOL!!! It turns out that's exactly what happened. When I was testing it last night, it just happened to randomly play the same track three times in a row, so I falsely assumed it wasn't working properly. When I tried it again this morning, it played my new track the first two times and then the old track the third time.

Is there any specific method required for naming the songs within the folders? On the mixes I downloaded, I noticed that most of the song titles have a number before them such as "06-Paradise City". I'm assuming this is simply a reference to the track number on the album and doesn't have any bearing on how the PinSound board recognizes it.

#157 1 year ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Is there any specific method required for naming the songs within the folders? On the mixes I downloaded, I noticed that most of the song titles have a number before them such as "06-Paradise City". I'm assuming this is simply a reference to the track number on the album and doesn't have any bearing on how the PinSound board recognizes it.

Only the folder names are important. They must begin with the numerical value assigned (you can append anything descriptive after that). The filenames within a folder are irrelevant, so I usually name them something descriptive (e.g. the song they are, the effect, etc.)

#158 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Only the folder names are important. They must begin with the numerical value assigned (you can append anything descriptive after that). The filenames within a folder are irrelevant, so I usually name them something descriptive (e.g. the song they are, the effect, etc.)

And if you really want to get pedantic, only the numerical part of the folder name is important. The actual text that follows can be whatever you want. Shorter is better though

#159 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

And if you really want to get pedantic, only the numerical part of the folder name is important. The actual text that follows can be whatever you want. Shorter is better though

Didn’t I say that? Well, you may have overlooked since I didn’t use a big fancy college word like “pedantic”. Surprised you didn’t say to keep the file name pithy.

#160 1 year ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Also, is there somewhere I can find a list of all the events in the game and their corresponding numbers? I assumed this information would be available when I loaded the file into PinSound Studio Pro, but I don't see it anywhere. In fact, I'm a bit confused by the software. It doesn't seem like there is much you can do with it other than some basic volume settings and assigning custom shaker motor actions.

There's not a pre-existing list like "slingshot is #121, R Ramp entry is #122..." (I guess there could be, if someone takes the time to document it) but what you do is have the PinSound board record a log of all of the sound calls as you play a game (or, better, as you stand over the machine with the glass off and trigger each of the sounds by hand.)

Then you load that log (a text file with a .psrec extention) into the old non-Pro version of PinSound Studio and you can "play back" that game log either step by step or in real time, and you can see on-screen which folder each sound trigger looks for.

Unfortunately, it seems the new PinSound Studio Pro doesn't include that playback functionality yet, so I assume for the time being we have to use the old version to view playback logs, and then the new Pro version to add the shaker calls. (I've installed the shaker kit and updated the firmware on the board, but haven't yet fired up the new PinSound Studio Pro to do any shaker work.)

#161 1 year ago
    Quoted from Blackjacker:

There's not a pre-existing list like "slingshot is #121, R Ramp entry is #122..." (I guess there could be, if someone takes the time to document it) but what you do is have the PinSound board record a log of all of the sound calls as you play a game (or, better, as you stand over the machine with the glass off and trigger each of the sounds by hand.)

Then you load that log (a text file with a .psrec extention) into the old non-Pro version of PinSound Studio and you can "play back" that game log either step by step or in real time, and you can see on-screen which folder each sound trigger looks for.

Unfortunately, it seems the new PinSound Studio Pro doesn't include that playback functionality yet, so I assume for the time being we have to use the old version to view playback logs, and then the new Pro version to add the shaker calls. (I've installed the shaker kit and updated the firmware on the board, but haven't yet fired up the new PinSound Studio Pro to do any shaker work.)

Ah, this explains why I was confused by the PinSound Studio Pro software. The limited functionality seemed odd, but I guess that's because they haven't migrated all the features over yet.

#170 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Didn’t I say that? Well, you may have overlooked since I didn’t use a big fancy college word like “pedantic”. Surprised you didn’t say to keep the file name pithy.

LOL. Ok, you did! I totally misread that sentence. And Apologies for the portentous post!

#171 1 year ago

Yikes. Don’t Pinside on the subway, kids.

#172 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Yikes. Don’t Pinside on the subway, kids.

No worries. I cleaned it up for you.

#173 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

LOL. Ok, you did! I totally misread that sentence. And Apologies for the portentous post!

My comments were all in good fun, so glad you took them that way. Besides, we can all use a vocabulary lesson every so often.

#174 1 year ago

Whoever rips the initial orchestration seems to arbitrarily name the sounds whatever they want. I’m helping a fellow Pinsider with a Star Trek now, and the transporter sounds are named teleporter. Close, but come on, man.

#175 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

My comments were all in good fun, so glad you took them that way. Besides, we can all use a vocabulary lesson every so often.

I'm a writer, it's part of my job

#176 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Whoever rips the initial orchestration seems to arbitrarily name the sounds whatever they want. I’m helping a fellow Pinsider with a Star Trek now, and the transporter sounds are named teleporter. Close, but come on, man.

ok now that is funny. At least they didn't write "beamer-upper"

#177 1 year ago

I've finally got my GnR mix exactly how I want it. I'm super happy with the way it turned out. PinSound is such an amazing product!

2 months later
    #178 9 months ago

So to continue the discussion from the Getaway thread, was wondering about download speeds. As mentioned, whenever I use Pinsound Studio to copy the file to my USB, the upload on my Pinsound card is within a minute. I just tried copying a new orchestration directly onto the USB (bypassing Pinsound Studio) and the download took about 10 minutes. Have others found the same thing when using Pinsound Studio to download the files to the USB directly? Thanks.

#179 9 months ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

So to continue the discussion from the Getaway thread, was wondering about download speeds. As mentioned, whenever I use Pinsound Studio to copy the file to my USB, the upload on my Pinsound card is within a minute. I just tried copying a new orchestration directly onto the USB (bypassing Pinsound Studio) and the download took about 10 minutes. Have others found the same thing when using Pinsound Studio to download the files to the USB directly? Thanks.

That makes no sense. Data transfer is data transfer, and if you are transferring the same amount of data then it will take the same amount of time.

#180 9 months ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

Are you using Windows? When you transfer directly, Windows scans each file for viruses, and is dog slow about it. In addition, Windows10 caches filed so the transfer isn’t corrupted - but it takes 10 times as long. When you use an application to transfer, none of that occurs and it’s much faster.

#181 9 months ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Are you using Windows? When you transfer directly, Windows scans each file for viruses, and is dog slow about it. In addition, Windows10 caches filed so the transfer isn’t corrupted - but it takes 10 times as long. When you use an application to transfer, none of that occurs and it’s much faster.

Thanks. I was referring to time it takes for the Pinsound card to load the new file not to copy the file to the USB.

I tried loading the same file onto the USB using the Pinsound Studio feature. It appears to do the OGG conversion before loading the file into the Studio program. So when you load it onto the USB, the Pinsound card loads the file within a few seconds. It does take Studio quite a bit of time to do the OGG conversion. So I guess it is a trade off of time in front of your computer vs time waiting for the card to load the file.

#182 9 months ago

Be interested in seeing what others have there Pinsound + card levels set at. This is for Getaway. Thanks.

BDED803C-86B7-417C-A207-C2798E53EAE8 (resized).jpeg
    #183 9 months ago

Saw this idea on facebook, USB extension cord. No longer have to remove backglass etc to change USB. I bought a 10’ foot extension, no delay in sound to Pinsound card. $5 fix!

59236C1F-C60B-4B8F-B904-894E224F6A97 (resized).jpeg658D1D92-8874-45C1-99B7-4ED603983BDA (resized).jpeg
    #184 9 months ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

Saw this idea on facebook, USB extension cord. No longer have to remove backglass etc to change USB. I bought a 10’ foot extension, no delay in sound to Pinsound card. $5 fix!

Thread below has a bunch of solid PinSound tips. Might even see some things there four and a half years before someone else puts 'em on Facebook.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsound-card-reviews-anyone

#185 9 months ago

Installed new pinsound+ in my Getaway this evening, with new speakers, all I soured by this thread. Stunning difference.

One issue I have, it won't boot up mr_tantrum BabyDriver orchestration.

Even if I drop it stand alone in the usb in audio, it says it's not there.

It came with it on the usb from pinsound, but never sees it. Techno works, sounds amazing.

But others don't work, any tips that I could check? Tried a re download..

Thanks for the inspiration and mixes !

#186 9 months ago
    Quoted from Biglouie:

Installed new pinsound+ in my Getaway this evening, with new speakers, all I soured by this thread. Stunning difference.
    One issue I have, it won't boot up mr_tantrum BabyDriver orchestration.
    Even if I drop it stand alone in the usb in audio, it says it's not there.
    It came with it on the usb from pinsound, but never sees it. Techno works, sounds amazing.
    But others don't work, any tips that I could check? Tried a re download..
    Thanks for the inspiration and mixes !

Don't assume you have the most recent firmware. I would update it first to see if that resolves any issues you are having. Here is link for PinSound+ (I assume what you have). Scroll down to orange banner and follow the simple instructions.

#187 9 months ago

Thanks mr_tantrum

I have now completed the firmware update, downloaded from https://www.pinsound.org/help/pinsound-plus-help/ for Pinsound+

Diagnostic txt file shows latest confirmed, Baby Driver is on the stick, but diagnostic looks like this (not showing Baby Driver) How odd.

I tried Baby Driver ZIP into boot of drive (not audio folder), rather than unzipped into audio folder. Kicked off conversion please wait.."Error During Zip Extraction"

I tried original, ZIP into boot (not audio folder) Kicked off conversion please wait.., then "Error During ZIP Extraction" I notice the ZIP files is gone from the root, when i pull the USB and plug into my Mac. So its obviously tried to give it a go.

Deleted diagnostic file from Stick, temporarily. Rebooted in machine. Sound didnt work. I assumed Pinsound+ needed that diagnostic file to be there in some shape or form, but I wasn't sure, so I put it back, tested, worked. Took it away, it then obviously ran a diagnostic, as it created the missing file on the USB. I dont know about that..

Dumped John Wick in audio folder, unzipped. Restarted machine. Processed sounds through the 30%, 40%, 50%... Hadnt previously heard the call outs for progress. Now JW and BD are there and playing.

Not sure what I did differently, maybe that firmware, coupled with a boot without the diagnostic file (it was the same one I popped back in..)

I added GetawayHS2-v1_EStroh_Outrun (thank you Eric!) by unzipping and adding to audio folder. It doesnt see it. Tried the diagnostic file removal approach above. Doesnt see the new audio from Eric.

Added Erics work as ZIP to root. "Performing audio extraction"...Then "Error During Zip Extraction"

Added Erics work again, this time in Audio folder, unzipped. "Performing audio extraction"...and then through the 30%, 40%, 50% call outs.

But right now, for my machine, I seem to ave to add zip to root, have it fail extraction, unzip into audio folder on card, run it in and it will do the extraction and go through the 10%, 20% etc...

I'm not really sure..I'll try a few others, see what happens..

HARDWARE MODEL
    ------------------
    PLUS

HARDWARE REVISION
    ------------------

HPS EXTERNAL VOLUME
    ------------------
    92%

INTERNAL FIRMWARE REVISION
    ------------------

PACKAGES
    ------------------
    GetawayHS2-v10_FullTechno_CustomCallouts_MrTantrum (active)

PINSOUND FIRMWARE VERSION
    ------------------

AMPLIFIER VOLTAGE MEASURED: 26537mV (expected range: 11000mV - 26000mV)
    [lowest amplifier voltage measured: 26355mV / highest amplification voltage measured: 26790mV]

#188 9 months ago

That seems really odd, and I'm not sure how to address it. All I can tell you is that I always do my extractions manually. I unzip them on my computer, convert the OGGs to WAV files using free:ac, delete the WAV files, then manually copy the folder to the USB:\audio\ folder and I'm up and running. I don't know if there is a simple t use converter for MAC or not, but all you have to do in free:ac is drag the parent folder of your orchestration into it, and it will pickup all files in all sub folders. Then just push the convert icon and it goes through and converts everything in just a couple of minutes. After that I do a file search for "OGG" in the parent folder and it picks up all original files which I then delete, thereby only leaving the WAV files. At this point the orchestration is ready to go so I copy the entire folder to the "audio" folder on the USB. Plug it in, and PinSound is ready to work since it doesn't have to do a conversion.

#189 9 months ago

Yes, bit odd. I'll stick with it ..keen to do a Chemical Brothers mix for Getaway..

Trying to read about dipping(?), as that seems the thing that blends fx and music well.. very noticeable when on the machine and the music completely dies to play the effect.

#190 9 months ago

I think you mean "ducking"?

#191 9 months ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I think you mean "ducking"?

I do... I dont see any mention of it in Studio. Is ducking achieved through config files somehow, that are dropped into the folder structure? I cant find an example of one, thats all.

#192 9 months ago
    Quoted from Biglouie:

Thanks mr_tantrum
    I have now completed the firmware update, downloaded from https://www.pinsound.org/help/pinsound-plus-help/ for Pinsound+
    Diagnostic txt file shows latest confirmed, Baby Driver is on the stick, but diagnostic looks like this (not showing Baby Driver) How odd.
    I tried Baby Driver ZIP into boot of drive (not audio folder), rather than unzipped into audio folder. Kicked off conversion please wait.."Error During Zip Extraction"
    I tried original, ZIP into boot (not audio folder) Kicked off conversion please wait.., then "Error During ZIP Extraction" I notice the ZIP files is gone from the root, when i pull the USB and plug into my Mac. So its obviously tried to give it a go.
    Deleted diagnostic file from Stick, temporarily. Rebooted in machine. Sound didnt work. I assumed Pinsound+ needed that diagnostic file to be there in some shape or form, but I wasn't sure, so I put it back, tested, worked. Took it away, it then obviously ran a diagnostic, as it created the missing file on the USB. I dont know about that..
    Dumped John Wick in audio folder, unzipped. Restarted machine. Processed sounds through the 30%, 40%, 50%... Hadnt previously heard the call outs for progress. Now JW and BD are there and playing.
    Not sure what I did differently, maybe that firmware, coupled with a boot without the diagnostic file (it was the same one I popped back in..)
    I added GetawayHS2-v1_EStroh_Outrun (thank you Eric!) by unzipping and adding to audio folder. It doesnt see it. Tried the diagnostic file removal approach above. Doesnt see the new audio from Eric.
    Added Erics work as ZIP to root. "Performing audio extraction"...Then "Error During Zip Extraction"
    Added Erics work again, this time in Audio folder, unzipped. "Performing audio extraction"...and then through the 30%, 40%, 50% call outs.
    But right now, for my machine, I seem to ave to add zip to root, have it fail extraction, unzip into audio folder on card, run it in and it will do the extraction and go through the 10%, 20% etc...
    I'm not really sure..I'll try a few others, see what happens..
    HARDWARE MODEL
    ------------------
    PLUS
    HARDWARE REVISION
    ------------------
    HPS EXTERNAL VOLUME
    ------------------
    92%
    INTERNAL FIRMWARE REVISION
    ------------------
    PACKAGES
    ------------------
    GetawayHS2-v10_FullTechno_CustomCallouts_MrTantrum (active)
    PINSOUND FIRMWARE VERSION
    ------------------
    AMPLIFIER VOLTAGE MEASURED: 26537mV (expected range: 11000mV - 26000mV)
    [lowest amplifier voltage measured: 26355mV / highest amplification voltage measured: 26790mV]

Being from England, you may enjoy my Clash orchestration

#193 9 months ago
    Quoted from Biglouie:

I do... I dont see any mention of it in Studio. Is ducking achieved through config files somehow, that are dropped into the folder structure? I cant find an example of one, thats all.

I can’t directly speak to the recent Pinsound studio, but the config file does include a setting which dips Music down to the percentage you specify when a callout/Sfx plays

#194 9 months ago
    Quoted from Biglouie:

See here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tantrums-guide-to-pinsound#post-3765428

#195 9 months ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

Being from England, you may enjoy my Clash orchestration

I do like it!! I need to spend more time playing with that orchestration as default though! The big question really is...Should it stay or should it go...

#196 9 months ago

Thanks for this, had a read.

I'll need to do some testing.

Question is do you create a file called config.ini and dump it in the route of the orchestration with those settings

ducking_jingle = 10
    ducking_sfx = 80
    ducking_voice = 65

Or does the file need to be called something else.

Extreme testing needed. If changing gain in studio creates these files for you, that would be good to check example of gain.txt

I'll report back if I get a chance to pinch a Windows machine from one of my kids!

I see a config.pinsound but cant seem to open it or read it. just a jumble of symbols ?

#197 9 months ago
    Quoted from Biglouie:

I do like it!! I need to spend more time playing with that orchestration as default though! The big question really is...Should it stay or should it go...

Thanks, not the best as one of my first.

#198 9 months ago

So quick test shows that if i change knobs on right Global settings for each music types, and save, those settings come back when i reload.. same with changing gain for individual tracks. It doesnt create a file in each of those sound type folders tho, so it must be all in the root config.pinsound file

Still cant see that ducking would be controlled in Studio as previously mentioned.

I notice in Endprodukts orchestration, it shows differing gains in Studio and also set knobs on the right for global levels that are different to defaults. I did find WAV folder specific configs too. EG in Music/0789935717-bonus_music there is the file AND a config file...

I cant get into the config file to see if ducking is in there, wonder how one reads a config.pinsound file..

#199 9 months ago
    Quoted from Biglouie:

Thanks for this, had a read.
    I'll need to do some testing.
    Question is do you create a file called config.ini and dump it in the route of the orchestration with those settings
    ducking_jingle = 10
    ducking_sfx = 80
    ducking_voice = 65
    Or does the file need to be called something else.
    Extreme testing needed. If changing gain in studio creates these files for you, that would be good to check example of gain.txt
    I'll report back if I get a chance to pinch a Windows machine from one of my kids!
    I see a config.pinsound but cant seem to open it or read it. just a jumble of symbols ?

The config.ini file belongs at the root level of the USB drive (i.e. not in an orchestration sub folder). However, I do believe you can put settings files down to the sound file folder level (I've not done it), but don't recall off the top of my head what settings you can apply and what the file name needs to be. If you search hard enough on PinSide, you can probably find the answers (or just trial and error on your own).

You also have to be aware that PinSound Studio has changed significantly with PinSound Studio Pro. Many things no longer apply. The main emphasis of PSSP was to enable shaker programming, and many of the other features previously in PSS will make their way into the application in due time.

#200 9 months ago

Thanks Mr Tantrum. I'll do some more reading...

Is it worth hunting down a copy of the previous version in your opinion?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 29.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    The GameRoom Store
    $ 24.00
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 275.00
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 6.95
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 5.00
    Various Other Swag
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 39.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 7,599.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 9,500.00
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 90.00
    $ 94.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 15.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Latenight Weeknight Mods
    $ 218.00
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 30.00
    Various Novelties
    Game Room Info Shop
    There are 610 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 13.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside