Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,399 posts
  • 156 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 31 minutes ago by MarkRan
  • Topic is favorited by 242 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2659 (resized).jpeg
    File Content DE Audio FLAC (resized).JPG
    MM backbox (resized).jpg
    IMG_0831 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0830 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0829 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2024-01-21 190411 (resized).jpg
    1 (resized).jpeg
    ARCADE UPKEEP Dual Voltage PS02 (resized).png
    ARCADE UPKEEP Dual Voltage PS03 (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).JPG
    Capture (resized).JPG
    screenshot (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_8354 (resized).png
    IMG_8353 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

10 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,399 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 28.
    #101 5 years ago

I have read that you should keep the cabinet speaker connected to provide better mids. Not sure if it is true, but I have my cabinet speaker connected with the external subwoofer and it all sounds pretty good. But I'm no audiophile.

#102 5 years ago

From the sound quality perspective, the primary issue I could see is that you would need to tweak all of your Pinsound settings (bass/treble/balance/fade/etc.) appropriately to a given orchestration on your pin. I found that it can be a little tricky dialing things in because the sound from where you are standing up by the backbox turning knobs is surprisingly significantly different than from the playing position. Simple solution is to find a helper to turn knobs.

1 week later
    #103 5 years ago

So my Pinsound is on its way and will be installing in a Getaway. If I wanted to take one of Mr. Tantrum 's orchestrations and add my own music, is it as simple as dropping new music in the correct directory and convert / save as a new orchestration? How hard would this be?

#104 5 years ago
    Quoted from jedi42:

So my Pinsound is on its way and will be installing in a Getaway. If I wanted to take one of Mr. Tantrum 's orchestrations and add my own music, is it as simple as dropping new music in the correct directory and convert / save as a new orchestration? How hard would this be?

Get it to work with Tantrum’s mix first. Then stick the usb drive in your computer and find the music you want to replace, and put your own tunes In. Remember they must be .wav not .mp3 files

#105 5 years ago

Agree with it sounding different from different locations. Even standing to the side watching a game is way different than when you are the player. It is a difficult mix to get the best for everyone in the room.

I often find it too loud as a spectator, but fine as a player.

Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

From the sound quality perspective, the primary issue I could see is that you would need to tweak all of your Pinsound settings (bass/treble/balance/fade/etc.) appropriately to a given orchestration on your pin. I found that it can be a little tricky dialing things in because the sound from where you are standing up by the backbox turning knobs is surprisingly significantly different than from the playing position. Simple solution is to find a helper to turn knobs.

#106 5 years ago

I guess I will owe a great thanks to Mr. Tantrum and others for doing all the heavy lifting!

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Get it to work with Tantrum’s mix first. Then stick the usb drive in your computer and find the music you want to replace, and put your own tunes In. Remember they must be .wav not .mp3 files

#107 5 years ago
    Quoted from jedi42:

How hard would this be?

Did you read my first post? Not "hard" but takes some time, tools, and trial and error. By all means, just d/l one of my orchestrations and convert it to .wav files (again, see my first post), then replace my .wav files with whatever you want.

#108 5 years ago

Yes, read all your posts. No question manipulating files takes time with sound levels, clipping sound lengths, etc. To start I just want to ride your coat tails and make some small changes, then get into more serious editing later. I played around a bit, but the pserc files mentioned confuse me a bit. Is it just the "original" file in the download section? I couldn't seem to locate it for getaway. Will I even need it if I am working from an existing orchestration? I expect this will become move clear once the unit comes and I really get into it. Sorry for the likely dumb questions.

Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Did you read my first post? Not "hard" but takes some time, tools, and trial and error. By all means, just d/l one of my orchestrations and convert it to .wav files (again, see my first post), then replace my .wav files with whatever you want.

#109 5 years ago

A psrec file is a recording of actual gameplay captured by PinSound on a pin equipped with it. I believe I have a couple of files I could send you, but due to my work scheduled would not be until tomorrow evening at the earliest (please PM me with your email address if interested). The only function of the psrec file (at least for me) is to simulate the progression of an actual game on your computer and hear how your orchestration will sound (is the volume right, is the clip too short, is it too long and gets cutoff, does it make sense, etc.). This methodology beats going back and forth and testing on the actual pin during your orchestration development.

Do you have to use it, no. If you want to take my wav files and base yours off them (e.g. open my files, see the duration and amplitude of the sounds, and adjust your's accordingly to be similar) then you could take this as your first approach and bybass the psrec files altogether.

#110 5 years ago
    Quoted from jedi42:

Yes, read all your posts. No question manipulating files takes time with sound levels, clipping sound lengths, etc. To start I just want to ride your coat tails and make some small changes, then get into more serious editing later. I played around a bit, but the pserc files mentioned confuse me a bit. Is it just the "original" file in the download section? I couldn't seem to locate it for getaway. Will I even need it if I am working from an existing orchestration? I expect this will become move clear once the unit comes and I really get into it. Sorry for the likely dumb questions.

You don’t need the PSrec files for what you want to do, just open the usb drive on your computer, go into the folders and find the “music” folder, then play each file you find in there until you find the one you want to replace. Then just replace it - or you can just additionally add your new file in there also, and the game will randomly play one or the other song. With music it’s not hard, you’ll recognise the songs right away

#111 5 years ago

My Pinsound came, and wow, does it ever make a difference. Night and day, truly impressed.

I have been playing with other music mixes based from Mr_Tantrum's mixes. I have it installed the board in my Getaway, but I am wondering what the point of having multiple song directories with very similar names. For example, why does Getaway have main_theme, main_theme_2, main_theme_3, etc? What is the purpose of these almost exact same directories?

#112 5 years ago
    Quoted from jedi42:

My Pinsound came, and wow, does it ever make a difference. Night and day, truly impressed.
    I have been playing with other music mixes based from Mr_Tantrum's mixes. I have it installed the board in my Getaway, but I am wondering what the point of having multiple song directories with very similar names. For example, why does Getaway have main_theme, main_theme_2, main_theme_3, etc? What is the purpose of these almost exact same directories?

Thes game will sometimes play the song/effect/callout from one folder. Sometimes it will play from the other. The pinsound board is emulating the sound board and this is either how the original board worked - different sound clips for slightly different circumstances, or this is an effect of how the pinsound board translates the logic of the original board

6 months later
    #113 5 years ago

New PinSound user here, messing around with the board in a Twilight Zone. I've noticed that the amplitude of the entire Chris Granner DCS mix is too low, much lower than the amplitude of the Original Mix. Has anyone found a way to globally increase the amplitude of all wav files in the new mix? I want the amplitude to be about the same as the Original mix so I can switch back and forth between the two without readjusting the PinSound equalizer knobs or the game's volume buttons. I really don't want to open each wav file individually in Audacity in order to increase the amplitude.

#114 5 years ago
    Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

New PinSound user here, messing around with the board in a Twilight Zone. I've noticed that the amplitude of the entire Chris Granner DCS mix is too low, much lower than the amplitude of the Original Mix. Has anyone found a way to globally increase the amplitude of all wav files in the new mix? I want the amplitude to be about the same as the Original mix so I can switch back and forth between the two without readjusting the PinSound equalizer knobs or the game's volume buttons. I really don't want to open each wav file individually in Audacity in order to increase the amplitude.

there are settings in PinsoundStudio (or you can edit the config.ini file) to adjust the “ducking” settings. This “ducks” the sfx/callout audio down when music is playing, and is a global setting. Duck the sfx and callouts, jingles and “singles” (I think that’s the name) down a bunch, like to 60 or something.

I believe the guide Mr_Tantrum put together goes through this

#115 5 years ago
    Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

Start here:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tantrums-guide-to-pinsound#post-3765428

Alternately to messing with the remix, just apply a global gain to the original mix.

#116 5 years ago

As I understand it the pinsound board sticks to the wood surface?

I would like to switch it between games though.

Is this going to be an issue fitting and re-fitting?

Thanks

#117 5 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

As I understand it the pinsound board sticks to the wood surface?
    I would like to switch it between games though.
    Is this going to be an issue fitting and re-fitting?
    Thanks

no , it fits to the metal plate , where all the boards are . just remove the old soundboard and it fits in the metal screw holes .

#118 5 years ago
    Quoted from Staf:

no , it fits to the metal plate , where all the boards are . just remove the old soundboard and it fits in the metal screw holes .

Thanks - I need to watch video as thought old board is left in the game.

#119 5 years ago

You can see how to mount with instruction & video on their website. You will remove/uninstall your current sound board and replace it by mounting the PinSound in the same location. Certain models require different mounting hardware for PinSound which is why you designate your platform when purchasing it. However, all of the PinSound boards are actually the same, regardless of in which pin you are installing it.

#120 5 years ago

I have a very basic question...is there only a Windows version of Pinsound Studio? If so, has anyone been able to use that software successfully on a Mac, and if so, how (Bootcamp, parallel, etc.)?

#121 5 years ago

Windows version is all I have seen on the site. Don’t see why it wouldn’t work with virtual Windows on a Mac.

#122 5 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion, I thought it was only windows, just don’t want to have to purchase a windows license just for that. I will leave it to all the PC users to create great sound packages. All those virtual windows I’ve tried are pricey for the amount of use I would need it for, almost cheaper to buy no name pc.

#123 5 years ago

FYI, emailed Nicolas, and he said there are some issues with the Mac version and is working on correcting them. Thanks MrT for the thread though!

#124 5 years ago

Keep in mind if you're planning to move your new PinSound board from game to game (and your games are Bally/Williams or Stern Whitestar), you'll have to decide whether or not to rewire the speakers for 2.1 sound (to get the most out of your PinSound board)... which means you'll need to rewire the speakers back to their original configuration if you put your old sound board back in. Somehow this never occurred to me until I got my PinSound board

2 weeks later
    #125 5 years ago

question regarding the pinsound install - I have the drive preloaded from pinsound, installed the board and now it's been saying 'Checking sound files please wait' for almost half an hour - anyone else have this issue?

#126 5 years ago
    Quoted from JohnJN:

question regarding the pinsound install - I have the drive preloaded from pinsound, installed the board and now it's been saying 'Checking sound files please wait' for almost half an hour - anyone else have this issue?

Yes, depending on the game and how many sound files it has to convert. I just did a Getaway for a friend last weekend and there was 8 sound versions to convert. It took about 2 hours.

#127 5 years ago
    Quoted from JohnJN:

There is a quicker way . . . please see my first post.

#128 5 years ago

Alternatively, PM me and I'm happy to give you a link to download the JP drive fully ready to go.

#129 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Alternatively, PM me and I'm happy to give you a link to download the JP drive fully ready to go.

Mr_Tantrum — thanks! The drive came fully prepared with the correct folder structure - however it still took 35 minutes to check the files. However upon turning on now, it’s completely fine.

#130 5 years ago

Any1 have any new mixes for getaway?

#132 5 years ago

Yes... but hoping someone made a mix, and just never posted it to the site.

#133 5 years ago
    Quoted from Dantesmark:

Yes... but hoping someone made a mix, and just never posted it to the site.

Is there something in particular you have in mind, or just want to make sure you have access to evaluate everything out there?

#134 5 years ago
    Quoted from Dantesmark:

Any1 have any new mixes for getaway?

Getaway has the most mixes out of all the games. I wish the other titles had that many options. Everyone who owns a Getaway should get a Pinsound board. It is the best upgrade you can do on this title.

#135 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tommy-dog:

Getaway has the most mixes out of all the games. I wish the other titles had that many options. Everyone who owns a Getaway should get a Pinsound board. It is the best upgrade you can do on this title.

Agreed. I just think that the fast paced action and driving theme lends itself to a multitude of musical options verses many/most of the other pins. I also have a Jurassic Park and am using a slightly modified version of Endprodukt's work, but not much else that makes sense on that one other than the music used and sound clips from the movie.

#136 5 years ago

I would like a rock mix w some zepp/acdc/ maybe black keys...

#137 5 years ago

If you don't have time/ability to make your own, I might be willing to help. However, I would need you to designate artist and song for each of the events based upon the attached (note how some songs are used multiple times since the events are the same/similar).

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #138 5 years ago

You got it! Thx brother

3 months later
    #139 4 years ago

So I just bought and installed a Pinsound kit last night (in my LW3). I wanted to start fiddling with the orchestrations, and go to get Pinsound Studio:

https://www.pinsound.org/help/pinsound-studio-pro/

It says "Download (Coming Soon)" and I'm not finding it in the Community section.

So, uh, where can I get this? Thanks!

#140 4 years ago

"PSS Pro" is a new tool coming, and I'm not exactly sure what all new features it will have (I'm guessing more advanced orchestration development, support for their new shaker, etc.) Looks like they've taken down PinSound Studio in preparation for the new application release.

So just so you understand, when it comes to creating orchestrations the key use of the current PinSound Studio is to simulate playback of a game using your selected orchestration (i.e. you don't actually create the orchestration, sound edits, etc. with PSS). Please see my opening post for direction on this.

I have PinSound Studio v.08 (not sure how old it is). If you PM me I can send you a download link. You don't actually have to install the app, just extract it to a folder and run it.

#141 4 years ago

Just ordered a Pinsound+ for my DM. Hoping remixes are available soon.

#142 4 years ago
    Quoted from cabuford:

Also at least for Lethal Weapon 3 there are multiple files of songs and callouts and many are not used. And a lot of the game music sounds the same. I made recordings of myself saying the number of the file and made a whole PinSound file like that and then just loaded it up and took notes while playing some games. Even with PinSound studio and Visual Pinball I found this easier.

cabuford did you happen to take notes, or care to share your LW3 output? About to start futzing with mine, and I may do something similar.

Firmware

I see people mention firmware updates, but I'm not seeing anything on the Pinsound site. I want to make sure I have the latest and greatest. Is this just not online at the moment as they gear up with the new hardware/software?

My current versions:

INTERNAL FIRMWARE REVISION
    ------------------

PINSOUND FIRMWARE VERSION
    ------------------

Volume

One more thing - I put in the board, then just adjusted the potentiometer under the playfield (Data East, LW3) to something that sounded appropriately loud, then turned down the Pinsound until it was at a reasonable volume. Is this what I should do, or is there a better way to maximize audio quality?

#143 4 years ago

As of today, 18.12.3 is the most recent firmware for both versions of PinSound.

Firmware downloads are on the product help pages (scroll down slightly to orange banner).

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #144 4 years ago
    Quoted from johnstewart:

cabuford did you happen to take notes, or care to share your LW3 output? About to start futzing with mine, and I may do something similar.

This is what I've got although if you've just recently downloaded the sound set, you might have the new one with longer scrambled 5 digit numbers.
    I used all the music from Total Nuclear Annihilation. Video here.

001-Middle Song Ball in Play
    002-Right Song Ball In Play
    004-Multiball Ready
    005-Multiball play
    006-Right song music select
    007-?
    008-Mulitball after scoring jackpot
    009-Middle song music select
    010-short loop before multi ball from ball launch
    012-Left song music select
    013-unused
    014-end of ball bonus collect
    015-Left song music ball in play
    016-quadruple jackpot?
    017-game ends
    018-unused
    019-unused
    026-video mode gunfight
    054-Shoot for Mulitball restart only need 15 seconds
    056-Getaway shot
    062-super spinners
    96 tilt
    97 tilt warning
    113-shoot again used
    114 Match explosions
    160-shoot again unused
    166 Extra Ball is Lit
    235 Video Fight
    227 Moo cow in video mode

#145 4 years ago

That is awesome @cabuford! Is this something you'd be willing to share?

Quoted from cabuford:

This is what I've got although if you've just recently downloaded the sound set, you might have the new one with longer scrambled 5 digit numbers.

Yeah, in fact they seem to be 10 digit numbers.

#146 4 years ago
    Quoted from johnstewart:

That is awesome cabuford! Is this something you'd be willing to share?

Yeah, in fact they seem to be 10 digit numbers.

My numbers probably won't help much then. There are definitely a few versions of the main songs that aren't used. Pretty easy to figure out by trial and error though. Although I think if you relabel the folder names with the old numbers they still work.

I haven't shared this sound file as I used all of Scott Danesi's music and I've purchased the soundtrack. I don't want to distribute anything without his consent. TheNoTrashCougar What are your thoughts on this?

#147 4 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

Just ordered a Pinsound+ for my DM. Hoping remixes are available soon.

I just installed a pinsound in my DM and put in pinsound speakers. Even with the original soundtrack, it sounds awesome. Gonna hook it up to a powered subwoofer soon.

#148 4 years ago
    Quoted from CoPinfan:

I just installed a pinsound in my DM and put in pinsound speakers. Even with the original soundtrack, it sounds awesome. Gonna hook it up to a powered subwoofer soon.

Nice..

Thanks for feedback. Excited.

I’ve got Pinsounds in my IJ and TZ. JD is next as funds allow.

2 months later
    #149 4 years ago

I just installed my first PinSound board in a GnR and I'm loving it so far. I do, however, have a few questions about modifying one of the sound packages I downloaded. The mix contains five folders: Jingle, Music, SFX, Single and Voice. In the "Single" folder, there is a sub-folder called "1505898115-GAME OVER". This folder contains the music clip that plays after the match sequence. What I'd like to do is add a second sound clip that can also be called. It is my understanding that if you put multiple sound clips in the same sub-folder, they will be randomly played when they are called by the game. I tried this, but my new clip never plays. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to name the new sound clip anything in particular?

Also, is there somewhere I can find a list of all the events in the game and their corresponding numbers? I assumed this information would be available when I loaded the file into PinSound Studio Pro, but I don't see it anywhere. In fact, I'm a bit confused by the software. It doesn't seem like there is much you can do with it other than some basic volume settings and assigning custom shaker motor actions.

#150 4 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I just installed my first PinSound board in a GnR and I'm loving it so far. I do, however, have a few questions about modifying one of the sound packages I downloaded. The mix contains five folders: Jingle, Music, SFX, Single and Voice. In the "Single" folder, there is a sub-folder called "1505898115-GAME OVER". This folder contains the music clip that plays after the match sequence. What I'd like to do is add a second sound clip that can also be called. It is my understanding that if you put multiple sound clips in the same sub-folder, they will be randomly played when they are called by the game. I tried this, but my new clip never plays. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to name the new sound clip anything in particular?
    Also, is there somewhere I can find a list of all the events in the game and their corresponding numbers? I assumed this information would be available when I loaded the file into PinSound Studio Pro, but I don't see it anywhere. In fact, I'm a bit confused by the software. It doesn't seem like there is much you can do with it other than some basic volume settings and assigning custom shaker motor actions.

Take the existing sound out of that folder (keep it! Save it elsewhere) and leave just your sound in there. Finish a game and see if it plays. If your sound does play, you can put the original one back in there too. They will both play inside the folder.

I’m betting there’s something else going on - maybe your file isn’t the right format. It must be an uncompressed .WAV file, not an mp3, ogg or other file.

There are 1,399 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 28.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tantrums-guide-to-pinsound/page/3?hl=johnjn and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.