Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,398 posts
  • 155 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 days ago by Garrett
  • Topic is favorited by 242 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2659 (resized).jpeg
    File Content DE Audio FLAC (resized).JPG
    MM backbox (resized).jpg
    IMG_0831 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0830 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0829 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2024-01-21 190411 (resized).jpg
    1 (resized).jpeg
    ARCADE UPKEEP Dual Voltage PS02 (resized).png
    ARCADE UPKEEP Dual Voltage PS03 (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).JPG
    Capture (resized).JPG
    screenshot (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_8354 (resized).png
    IMG_8353 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

10 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,398 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 28.
    #51 6 years ago
    Quoted from boustrophedonic:

The speaker kit that Pinsound sells directly includes the harness. Aftermarket speakers like FF probably wouldn't. It would be easy/straightforward to put together a harness with a little wire and a .156" connector w/ trifurcon crimp terminals you could get from PBL.

FF does have a PinSound-specific kit. But the PinSound speakers are made out of better material, and are matched to the board- they really sound good. Making the connector is easy, whichever direction you take, though.

1 month later
    #52 6 years ago

I'm trying to join Pinside community http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files

After several attempts, I'm not getting a confirmation email or a response from the contact administrators page. Am I missing something? Is there anywhere else to download files for T2, TZ and IJ?

#53 6 years ago

How long have you waited? I believe it is a manual approval process, so it can take some time (maybe days). What mix are you after?

#54 6 years ago

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone has be able to get the Batman Forever ROM files to open? I have them working in the M1 Bridge program, but when I try to open the file in Pinsound to convert to a working folder it just says "Sound package extracted" with none of the rom sounds/voices being converted to ogg files.

Any suggestions?

#55 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

How long have you waited? I believe it is a manual approval process, so it can take some time (maybe days). What mix are you after?

Oh I wasn't aware it took days. I just signed up yesterday. I'll give it some time. I just ordered a board and speakers which is on backorder, so I can wait to be approved. Specifically, I'm looking for the T2 orchestration, but would like to experiment with TZ, IJ, AFM and MB. Thanks!

#56 6 years ago
    Quoted from rx3:

Oh I wasn't aware it took days. I just signed up yesterday. I'll give it some time. I just ordered a board and speakers which is on backorder, so I can wait to be approved. Specifically, I'm looking for the T2 orchestration, but would like to experiment with TZ, IJ, AFM and MB. Thanks!

If you don’t get approved in a couple of days PM me, and I’ll see what I can do to help.

#57 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

If you don’t get approved in a couple of days PM me, and I’ll see what I can do to help.

Weird. I used a different email address and it was approved immediately. I'm good now. Thanks for help offer!

#58 6 years ago

Does anyone know if the Pinsound 2.0 boards have a switch for stereo/mono sound?

#59 6 years ago
    Quoted from adamross:

Does anyone know if the Pinsound 2.0 boards have a switch for stereo/mono sound?

I don’t know but why? Original is stereo but depends upon your speaker system (my game was originally mono, but I rewired for stereo).

#60 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I don’t know but why? Original is stereo but depends upon your speaker system (my game was originally mono, but I rewired for stereo).

My balance/mix on the LOTR Woolmix is way off. Wool said the mix was done in stereo, but my speakers are mono which can explain why the mix sounds like its all over the map. One poster made the change from stereo to mono on the board and it made all the difference. Yes, I have ordered a stereo cable so I can experience the mix the way it was intended, but would like to just know if it is possible.

#61 6 years ago
    Quoted from adamross:

My balance/mix on the LOTR Woolmix is way off. Wool said the mix was done in stereo, but my speakers are mono which can explain why the mix sounds like its all over the map. One poster made the change from stereo to mono on the board and it made all the difference. Yes, I have ordered a stereo cable so I can experience the mix the way it was intended, but would like to just know if it is possible.

They do not, but you can wire the speaker outputs to mix the L and R signals pretty easily. Stereo cable is easy to make, too

#62 6 years ago
    Quoted from adamross:

If you've already spent $400 on a pinsound (geez, it's stupid-expensive...), I can confirm the extra $20-30 for the stereo cable is ABSOLUTELY, 100% worth it.

#63 6 years ago
    Quoted from Reznnate:

If you've already spent $400 on a pinsound (geez, it's stupid-expensive...), I can confirm the extra $20-30 for the stereo cable is ABSOLUTELY, 100% worth it.

They seem to have raised ALL the prices with this new board, which is disappointing, plus they have removed the USB drive (which including it was a very good idea since there have been lots of reports of people having issues with different brands)

The speakers have also gone up in price, and are Comparable to Pinball pro / FF prices. I am a huge PinSound supporter, but it is getting harder to understand the changes from a consumer point of view. They really need to invest time in making the software simpler, which is still too confusing for the average user, and is definitely hurting the experience. I’ve bought two boards from users who just “gave up” and I can certainly understand why.

#64 6 years ago

One must realize that these are two creative pinball enthusiasts that invented PinSound, and they also have other full time careers. They are contributing significantly to the hobby, and my guess is they are having to license usage so there is an uplift to the pricing to cover that. It's not like they are making thousands of these things and people are lining up to buy them, so unit cost is of course high. You have to view this as a niche product, and is does require DIY and some technical aptitude to get it installed and working which is why the community is so important as it relates to creating orchestrations for the various pins.

I get it that price is significant to many, and that not everyone can afford one (especially if they want to install on multiple pins). Well, the same thing can be said for many things in life, and I'm sure we'd all like to live in mansions, drive exotic sports cars, fly in private jets, and only eat at the finest restaurants, and even though very few of us can afford such things the market still sets the price. Everyone has to make a personal evaluation whether or not there is a cost-benefit return to them and either buy it or don't. If you can find discounted units on the secondary market, then more power to you. It really doesn't take much aptitude to install one, and with a little tinkering with the sound tools you are off and running with your own custom orchestration, let alone simply download one that someone else has already created if available.

I get it, to each his own, and we wish that everything was cheap and/or free, but from my perspective the bros are providing a significant contribution to the hobby, doing it at a fair price, not getting rich off the deal (e.g. they still have to work full-time other jobs). They also take an active roll and attend multiple pin shows in the US and give discounts on merchandise when they come. It is my thread, so I don't mind stepping up on the soapbox now and then, but as always diverse opinions are welcome.

#65 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

One must realize that these are two creative pinball enthusiasts that invented PinSound, and they also have other full time careers. They are contributing significantly to the hobby

I appreciate all of this. I absolutely do.

But I WISH WISH WISH the community was bigger.
    If it were possible for them to build/order more boards, perhaps they could lower the price per board and sell many more.
    Engaging more users on more games might help build out the community, support and the 'mixes' available.

#66 6 years ago
    Quoted from Reznnate:

I appreciate all of this. I absolutely do.
    But I WISH WISH WISH the community was bigger.
    If it were possible for them to build/order more boards, perhaps they could lower the price per board and sell many more.
    Engaging more users on more games might help build out the community, support and the 'mixes' available.

I agree with what you are saying. I wish they could come up with some program to modestly compensate select independent "developers" to author custom orchestrations. The idea would be to build out as many pins as possible whereby broadening the appeal and making things pretty much ready to go out of the box. Sure the user would need to download their specific orchestration (PinSound could not distribute I'm sure due to music licensing), but this would make things simpler for everyone. I'm no ColorDMD company fan (I like the tech), but I believe they follow a process similar to this to get grow their colorized game offerings.

#67 6 years ago
    Quoted from Hazzard:

Thanks a lot for the direction Will do some research and post here if Im successful.

I found that asking Nicolas directly was the easiest way to get this done

I downloaded the ROMs and extracted the audio, but still somewhat unclear how to get the folder names right.

I emailed the missing filenames to Nicolas and got the correct folder names in return

Now I am almost done with my Frankenstein mix, and it is going to change the feel of the game completely. I hope people will like it, and that they are not too found of the dreadfull original sounds/music...

#68 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I agree with what you are saying. I wish they could come up with some program to modestly compensate select independent "developers" to author custom orchestrations. The idea would be to build out as many pins as possible whereby broadening the appeal and making things pretty much ready to go out of the box. Sure the user would need to download their specific orchestration (PinSound could not distribute I'm sure due to music licensing), but this would make things simpler for everyone. I'm no ColorDMD company fan (I like the tech), but I believe they follow a process similar to this to get grow their colorized game offerings.

I have a feeling that pinsound will get more established this coming year. Really impressed with their work so far. The new board is reported to load faster and it should even sound better with better noise isolation and spec's.

#69 6 years ago
    Quoted from Hazzard:

I have a feeling that pinsound will get more established this coming year. Really impressed with their work so far. The new board is reported to load faster and it should even sound better with better noise isolation and spec's.

I'm starting to see a pattern in your collection. What's your next theme . . . Werewolf, Mummy, Invisible Man. Hey there's an idea - invisible man made out of all clear acrylic.

Seriously, very cool that you're about done on the Frankenstein orchestration. Be sure to post some YouTube vids so we can all see/hear your work.

1 week later
    #70 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I'm starting to see a pattern in your collection. What's your next theme . . . Werewolf, Mummy, Invisible Man. Hey there's an idea - invisible man made out of all clear acrylic.

Hehe, time to get a MB.

#71 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mtg381:

I just installed a PinSound board on CFTBL, and it's a game changer...literally!
    I realize that I do need to upgrade from the factory speakers ASAP!
    Can I just get a speaker kit or do I need a harness to rewire it for 2.1 as well?
    I'd like to go pick something up from Pinball Life today(Flipper Fidelity) if they have what I need in stock.

Hello Pinsound lovers. I have 5 boards in various games, and love them. I've just swapped from an IJ to my CFTBL and having trouble - which I haven't had before. Downloaded the Wooly mix on the USB and let the board unzip it as I do, and it did it fine (with the accompanying music). Now not getting any sounds out. I check the USB and the files are all there in their correct folders as per normal under the root audio folder, so not sure what's happening this time. Even tried reformatting the USB and redoing it with the Mike mix, again seemed fine, but when I press start, no sound at all, not even during the sound test Speakers are fine - I get the annoyingly loud "chimes" at the start (original board, not a +).

Any thoughts? Thanks very much.

#72 6 years ago

I had a similar problem recently when I downloaded a new backup for my files .. I couldn't get any sound from the new one and couldn't figure out why because the old one worked fine. I then realized the was a firmware update last year I had missed and once I updated that I was good to go. You might try that

#73 6 years ago

Ah ha thanks-that may be the problem. I do get the “sample sound” when I switch to 0 on the door volume and back up again, but otherwise nothing. I’ll try the firmware

#74 6 years ago

Nice try but no luck. Copied the firmware upgrade to the root of the USB and turned it in but didn’t do anything - I assume that means I have the latest already (April last year). The board doesn’t let you know!

#75 6 years ago

yeah .. the board told me as it was doing it was "upgrading" not sure what happens if it's already done. hmmmmm The only other time ive have no sound on files was when i had used 48000 sample rate instead of 44100

#76 6 years ago
    Quoted from dendoc:

Nice try but no luck. Copied the firmware upgrade to the root of the USB and turned it in but didn’t do anything - I assume that means I have the latest already (April last year). The board doesn’t let you know!

Reformat the USB Drive and put ONLY the firmware on it and try again

#77 6 years ago

Thanks for that. Gave it a go - just came up with "there are no sound files on the USB drive" so must be up to date I assume. I'm using the Mike download from the community. All the files seem there in wav. format, and I can play them when I load it into my computer so they work. Can still get the "sample" when volume down to 0 and up, but when I press start, no music, and nothing when I play the game. So strange, haven't had any trouble like this before, and the board was perfect in IJ.

#78 6 years ago

Even tried a new unused USB but still sound the same. I can put wool and Mike under audio file and can switch between them with the volume buttons (doesn’t wool sample sound good!) but still won’t play files. Scratching the head!

#79 6 years ago

I have heard of several cases where you must downgrade firmware to an earlier version, and then upgrade to the newest one. True story. I am not sure where to get the older firmware, but somebody here should know.

#80 6 years ago

Interesting. I’ve spoken to a number with a Creature board and they’ve had no trouble with the Wool mix v1 but it just won’t play in mine. I have no idea how to downgrade the firmware either.

3 months later
    #81 5 years ago

God forgive me. In honor of the thread "there should be a rap pin", I made an orchestration for the Getaway featuring 35 Lil Wayne songs. It is in no way polished but if you like Weezy its in a solid beta stage.

#82 5 years ago

Just found this, great job!

#83 5 years ago
    Quoted from ruzeo:

God forgive me. In honor of the thread "there should be a rap pin", I made an orchestration for the Getaway featuring 35 Lil Wayne songs. It is in no way polished but if you like Weezy its in a solid beta stage.

Well, going to have to change the rims on my Getaway Lambos to better go with a rap orchestration . . . just sayin'.

#84 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pbpins:

Just found this, great job!

Thanks. I've circled back several times, but still have some of my outline in the first post to finish. Thread came out of me learning everything on my own with bits and pieces from various places. I couldn't sleep one night, and waking up around 2:00 I figured, "why not author a guide for Pinsound?"

#85 5 years ago

Im a little confused. I have a Last Action Hero, and would like to create my own mix. Where or how to I find a psrec of Last Action Hero?

#86 5 years ago
    Quoted from bicyclenut:

Im a little confused. I have a Last Action Hero, and would like to create my own mix. Where or how to I find a psrec of Last Action Hero?

You can record,your own from gameplay: https://www.pinsound.org/recording

I would start by downloading an existing orchestration then use its structure to determine what sounds a required and how to name them: http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/category/68-last-action-hero

#87 5 years ago

very helpful. Thank you

#88 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

You can record,your own from gameplay

Last question, Do I need to play with the game with the glass off and hit everything or is just a normal game play enough for it to record?

#89 5 years ago
    Quoted from bicyclenut:

Last question, Do I need to play with the game with the glass off and hit everything or is just a normal game play enough for it to record?

That all depends on how much you want to play back. If you want to hear a sound you've changed, you'll have to have done whatever it is on the real game to get to it. I'd suggest making a few depending on what you want to tweak. It gets a little old listening to the same long game everytime (you can move around in the software but its a bit cumbersome)

Eagerly awaiting the new software.

#90 5 years ago

FYI, my approach is to do things in phases. For example, focus on the music first and get all of it right. Second, the FX. Then the call outs, etc.

#91 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

FYI, my approach is to do things in phases. For example, focus on the music first and get all of it right. Second, the FX. Then the call outs, etc.

Absolutely, it seems overwhelming at first but I was able to change all the songs with ease and now I am willing to change a few callouts as I have time to edit and add them in. I like how you release them with updated versions, nothing is ever final product since you can always make adjustments as you see fit.

#92 5 years ago

Also at least for Lethal Weapon 3 there are multiple files of songs and callouts and many are not used. And a lot of the game music sounds the same. I made recordings of myself saying the number of the file and made a whole PinSound file like that and then just loaded it up and took notes while playing some games. Even with PinSound studio and Visual Pinball I found this easier.

Also I bought a 10’ usb extension cable from amazon so the USB stick is now just inside the coin door.

#93 5 years ago
    Quoted from cabuford:

Also at least for Lethal Weapon 3 there are multiple files of songs and callouts and many are not used. And a lot of the game music sounds the same. I made recordings of myself saying the number of the file and made a whole PinSound file like that and then just loaded it up and took notes while playing some games. Even with PinSound studio and Visual Pinball I found this easier.
    Also I bought a 10’ usb extension cable from amazon so the USB stick is now just inside the coin door.

That USB extension is a great idea. I ended up springing for a USB drive that can be accessed via WIFI, so I don't have to keep unplugging it and taking it to my computer. Helps a lot!

#94 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

That USB extension is a great idea. I ended up springing for a USB drive that can be accessed via WIFI, so I don't have to keep unplugging it and taking it to my computer. Helps a lot!

Nice idea! I also got the proper 4 conductor 1/8” headphone extension cable so it will mute the speakers. This was before the PinSound headphone option and new card. Not as pretty but gets the job done. My LW3 is all TNA music now so it keeps the wife happy that I can mute it

1 month later
    #95 5 years ago

A couple of times in the thread posters noted that making a mono to stereo wiring harness is easy, but I haven't seen anyone list which wires goes in which pinouts on the new connector. Is it obvious with the Pinsound card in front of you, or is there a different post detailing the positions of the wire? Thanks.

#96 5 years ago
    Quoted from jedi42:

A couple of times in the thread posters noted that making a mono to stereo wiring harness is easy, but I haven't seen anyone list which wires goes in which pinouts on the new connector. Is it obvious with the Pinsound card in front of you, or is there a different post detailing the positions of the wire? Thanks.

If you look closely at the board, it is listed at the DataEast connector section, st the bottom of the board. C+,C-,L+L-,R+,R- I think

#97 5 years ago

Perfect thanks. What gauge wire is being used? Considering Pinsound, and was wondering whether to make my own cables or not. $20us for the Pinsound harness turns into $35cdn after conversion and taxes.

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

If you look closely at the board, it is listed at the DataEast connector section, st the bottom of the board. C+,C-,L+L-,R+,R- I think

#98 5 years ago
    Quoted from jedi42:

Perfect thanks. What gauge wire is being used? Considering Pinsound, and was wondering whether to make my own cables or not. $20us for the Pinsound harness turns into $35cdn after conversion and taxes.

You can use 20 gauge speaker wire, or pretty much any stranded wire you want . It’s not like the original games had anything super special in there!

#99 5 years ago

Another question from a current non-owner. I read that the new Pinsound+ has an output for an external subwoofer. If I have an external sub, is there a need for the cabinet speaker?

#100 5 years ago
    Quoted from jedi42:

Another question from a current non-owner. I read that the new Pinsound+ has an output for an external subwoofer. If I have an external sub, is there a need for the cabinet speaker?

No, the external sub would be louder and create more precise bass. But if you do not hook up the cab speaker, you risk putting more strain on the amplifier which could possibly lead to a shorter lifespan

There are 1,398 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 28.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tantrums-guide-to-pinsound/page/2?hl=hazzard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.