Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,398 posts
  • 155 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 17 days ago by Garrett
  • Topic is favorited by 242 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2659 (resized).jpeg
    File Content DE Audio FLAC (resized).JPG
    MM backbox (resized).jpg
    IMG_0831 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0830 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0829 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2024-01-21 190411 (resized).jpg
    1 (resized).jpeg
    ARCADE UPKEEP Dual Voltage PS02 (resized).png
    ARCADE UPKEEP Dual Voltage PS03 (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).JPG
    Capture (resized).JPG
    screenshot (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_8354 (resized).png
    IMG_8353 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

10 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,398 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 28.
    #1251 10 months ago

Edit: The Stereo 2.1 cable Pinsound sent me is defective.

I bought a pinsound bundle for Lord of the Rings. I spent hours trying to figure out how the "Stereo 2.1" cable plugged in -- Their installation video doesn't show anything about it, making it very difficult to troubleshoot. I found some images of other "Stereo 2.1" cables and they have a plastic plug in a different place than mine... So apparently I got a defective cable?

PXL_20230526_200105716 (resized).jpgPXL_20230526_200105716 (resized).jpg

#1252 10 months ago

Yes the blanking pin is in the wrong spot. Pry it out and put it in the hole that has no cable of course.

These are basic cables probably toll manufactured, By all means let them know but I wouldn't blame the pinsound guys for it.

1 week later
    #1253 10 months ago

Hi my friends! I recently installed a PinSound Plus to my Sega’s Goldeneye, and as soon as I turn it on I can hear the PinSound jingle when starts and then…silence, nothing comes afterwards. I downloaded Boat Mix, put in on the USB Driver that came with my PinSound purchase, plugged on the PinSound Plus board again, turned it on and the same result, nothing. So I don't know what could be wrong about it or what I'm missing. If someone could help me I would be very grateful. Thanks for your time and help everybody! Awesome community! Nuno
    PS: I don’t know if I’m putting correctly the mix on my USB Driver, so I’m sharing a picture so you can see and correct me if I’m doing something wrong. Thanks

IMG_8353 (resized).pngIMG_8353 (resized).pngIMG_8354 (resized).pngIMG_8354 (resized).png
    #1254 10 months ago

You must create a folder called "audio" in the root, and then place the Goldeneye orchestration folder inside "audio".

#1255 10 months ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

You must create a folder called "audio" in the root, and then place the Goldeneye orchestration folder inside "audio".

Thank Mr_Tantrum for the reply! I did the update on the firmware first, once I heard the "sound" of completion, I rebooted the pinball now with the USB Driver containing the files "config.pinsound", "pinsound-self-diagnosis.txt" and a new folder named "audio" (as you mentioned) that contains the Goldeneye orchestration "Goldeneye-v1.2_Boat". I turned it on, heard the Pinsound "theme" and then once again nothing came out. I tried to run some audio tests on the menu but nothing came out again. Has this happened to anyone before? Normally what should I be doing wrong or what can I be missing? If anyone has an idea or a suggestion I'm all ears my friends. Thanks!

#1256 10 months ago

Ideally, you should delete the orchestration folder and just place the zip file at the root of the drive and let PinSound decompress it and build out the folder structure. Have you tried this? Also, I can't remember if it is hidden or not, but there is a cache file in the root. You may want to delete this file so it will be rebuilt.

#1257 10 months ago

Is there anyway to save to the .pspack file?

When I load the sounds from the .pspack file into the PinSound Studio Pro, I can change the settings. But when I save the files, the .pspack file is unchanged.

I want to use the .pspack file in the PinSound card, not the resulting audio files that are saved separately.

#1258 10 months ago

I downloaded the PSpack file from pinsound on Junk Yard. The sound is skipping quite a bit and the file still shows up as PSpack and does not unzip. I have tried multiple USB drives and updated hte Pinsound Plus firmware. Any ideas?

#1259 10 months ago
    Quoted from SgtPin18:

I downloaded the PSpack file from pinsound on Junk Yard. The sound is skipping quite a bit and the file still shows up as PSpack and does not unzip. I have tried multiple USB drives and updated hte Pinsound Plus firmware. Any ideas?

I use these USB flash drives, they work perfectly for me:

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-16GB-Ultra-Flash-Drive/dp/B077Y149DL/ref=psdc_3151491_t1_B079T4X59G

#1260 10 months ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

I use these USB flash drives, they work perfectly for me:
    amazon.com link »

Same drives I use.

#1261 10 months ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

1 - Always work with WAV files. If you download an orchestration and they are OGG, the first thing I recommend you do is convert them to WAV using FREE:AC and delete all of the OGG (a fairly simple and quick process that I think I've outline here before - or maybe that was in a PM to someone). PinSound ONLY SUPPORTS WAV files. The only reason they are in OGG format to start with is because that format is highly compressed and allows for much smaller file size downloads.

MediaHuman Audio Converter seems to work quite well. Available for Windows and Mac.

https://www.mediahuman.com/audio-converter/

#1262 10 months ago

Is it possible to simply upgrade the audio quality on FG? Id imagine since it is a virtual pin they have higher audio quality there. would love to simply ‘modernize’ the sound!

#1263 10 months ago
    Quoted from lhammer610:

MediaHuman Audio Converter seems to work quite well. Available for Windows and Mac.
    https://www.mediahuman.com/audio-converter/

I used a pre made download that was all in OGG I then swapped out the sounds for mine. Have attempted and used OGG files and they work on Pinsound but was getting undesirable levels so I have now reverted most to WAV but all the voices are still OGG and work fine at correct levels.

#1264 10 months ago

Hi all

I'm going to be working on a custom orchestration for WWF Royal Rumble. It's a long task, as while replacing music is easy, I'll be scouring 4,000+ hours of WWF footage looking for exact/similar call-outs and will use those.

Before I do, I need to get the basics right. I'll be normalising sound levels so one track doesn't sound louder/quieter than the other.

However, after reading Mr. Tantrum's guide to PinSound, the psrec feature seems like it'll really help. I simply need to work out how to record such gameplay.

Does anyone know how I do this so I can use PinSound Studio to analyse?

#1265 10 months ago

You enable/disable using PinSound Studio Pro

- Put USB in computer
    - Launch PSSP, navigate to orchestration, and open config file in PSSP
    - Check the Record Enabled box under Record/Replay settings
    - Save file
    - Return USB to pin, power on, and play a game making sure you trip all features (you may want to take the glass off and do it by hand in your desired sequence)
    - Turn off pin, remove USB and return to PC
    - Open PSSP and under File, select Import record file

Once imported you can now play through the game audio sequence, jump around, etc. and see what sounds are called by what events.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #1266 10 months ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

- Put USB in computer
    - Save file
    - Return USB to pin, power on, and play a game making sure you trip all features (you may want to take the glass off and do it by hand in your desired sequence)
    Once imported you can now play through the game audio sequence, jump around, etc. and see what sounds are called by what events.
    [quoted image]

Thank you! I will try that, great help. And you're right, I'll be taking that glass off!

#1267 10 months ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

- Put USB in computer
    - Save file
    [quoted image]

When PSSP saves, does it save in a .pspac file? Or in an Audio folder with the WAV sound files?

I ask because I got a .pspac file of FH original sounds. I loaded them in PSSP and it created a folder of the expanded sounds in the folders in the WAV format.

I wanted to increase, across the board, the voice settings. As a test using the global 'knobs', I turned voice all the way up and the others all the way down. I saved my work (to .pspac or the WAV files?). I loaded the WAV files back into FH and there was not a difference. I loaded the .pspac files into FH and there was not a difference. I deleted the pinsound-self-diagnosis.txt file and it reloaded, but still no change.

Somehow, I seem to be unable to get PSSP editing to work for me. What am I doing wrong?

#1268 10 months ago

I'm doing some research on a pinsound shaker motor. Is there a way to make the shaker motor shake a different speeds during a sound being played? I looking at buying a speakers pinsound card and shaker motor for a Stern whitestar.

#1269 10 months ago
    Quoted from lhammer610:

When PSSP saves, does it save in a .pspac file? Or in an Audio folder with the WAV sound files?
    I ask because I got a .pspac file of FH original sounds. I loaded them in PSSP and it created a folder of the expanded sounds in the folders in the WAV format.
    I wanted to increase, across the board, the voice settings. As a test using the global 'knobs', I turned voice all the way up and the others all the way down. I saved my work (to .pspac or the WAV files?). I loaded the WAV files back into FH and there was not a difference. I loaded the .pspac files into FH and there was not a difference. I deleted the pinsound-self-diagnosis.txt file and it reloaded, but still no change.
    Somehow, I seem to be unable to get PSSP editing to work for me. What am I doing wrong?

PSSP will decompress the PSPACK and create the folder structure. Worth with this moving forward. When you make changes to things like ducking, amplification, etc. all of those are saved in the config file so you just need to transfer that one file to your orchestration for them to be applied.

#1270 10 months ago
    Quoted from hawkeyexx:

I'm doing some research on a pinsound shaker motor. Is there a way to make the shaker motor shake a different speeds during a sound being played? I looking at buying a speakers pinsound card and shaker motor for a Stern whitestar.

Yes, I've documented this before.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tantrums-guide-to-pinsound?tq=shaker&tu=Mr_Tantrum

#1271 10 months ago

Ok, so I managed to get a sound recording. Great... however, now running into another problem regardless of any mix I use. You can see from the screenshot, I am missing Hacksaw Jim Duggan and Crush's themes... now, when I recorded these, they did indeed play... I assume I can manually fix this if I created a folder with the right number... but obviously at this point this is impossible to know.

Is there anything I can do to get the game to recognise these files so I can replace them? You can even see the missed numbers in the order of playing too (there are quite a few).

Here is a screenshot. I've highlighted where they should be... right after the HOOOO callout for Duggan, and the "Krush" callout for Crush (dunno why they used a K instead of a C but there you go).

screenshot (resized).pngscreenshot (resized).png
    #1272 10 months ago
    Quoted from Dinsdale:

Ok, so I managed to get a sound recording. Great... however, now running into another problem regardless of any mix I use. You can see from the screenshot, I am missing Hacksaw Jim Duggan and Crush's themes... now, when I recorded these, they did indeed play... I assume I can manually fix this if I created a folder with the right number... but obviously at this point this is impossible to know.
    Is there anything I can do to get the game to recognise these files so I can replace them? You can even see the missed numbers in the order of playing too (there are quite a few).
    Here is a screenshot. I've highlighted where they should be... right after the HOOOO callout for Duggan, and the "Krush" callout for Crush (dunno why they used a K instead of a C but there you go).[quoted image]

I've not seen it skip sounds like that before, so not sure what is going on. I assume you are using the most recent version of PSSP and have the most recent firmware on your PinSound? If so, you will need to submit ticket to PinSound unless someone else has a resolution.

#1273 10 months ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I've not seen it skip sounds like that before, so not sure what is going on. I assume you are using the most recent version of PSSP and have the most recent firmware on your PinSound? If so, you will need to submit ticket to PinSound unless someone else has a resolution.

Yup, latest firmware and software. The files simply don't seem to exist when I download them so I've got a feeling it's not a PinSound issue per se.

I wonder if a fresh rip from the original ROM will help.

#1274 10 months ago

Im hearing Dr Dude will be added to the compatibility list shortly. Would the current pinsound card be compatible or would it need modified.

#1275 9 months ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

PSSP will decompress the PSPACK and create the folder structure. Worth with this moving forward. When you make changes to things like ducking, amplification, etc. all of those are saved in the config file so you just need to transfer that one file to your orchestration for them to be applied.

I am trying to change the relative volumes of speech vs. the other sounds in original FH for the Rudy2.0 USB stick.

You are right, the config.pinsound file updates when I change the Global Levels. But those do not affect the sounds when played back in the Pedretti system. Note that these are the original Fun House sounds, not the Rudy 2.0 that Pedretti created.

I thought I could force the sound card to reload the audio files by tossing out the pinsound-self-diagnosis.txt file at the root level, but that did not work.

The other Fun House audio folders are read and I can change which audio folder is read by lowering and raising the sounds. But the config.pinsound appears to be ignored.

#1276 9 months ago
    Quoted from lhammer610:

I am trying to change the relative volumes of speech vs. the other sounds in original FH for the Rudy2.0 USB stick.
    You are right, the config.pinsound file updates when I change the Global Levels. But those do not affect the sounds when played back in the Pedretti system. Note that these are the original Fun House sounds, not the Rudy 2.0 that Pedretti created.
    I thought I could force the sound card to reload the audio files by tossing out the pinsound-self-diagnosis.txt file at the root level, but that did not work.
    The other Fun House audio folders are read and I can change which audio folder is read by lowering and raising the sounds. But the config.pinsound appears to be ignored.

Quite honestly, I rarely jack with the gain/fade settings. Instead, I just modify the WAV file in audacity (Effect > Amplitude). Once you replace the WAV files in the folder structure with your modified ones, you may need to delete the cache file from the root of the USB and let the orchestration cache rebuild.

#1277 9 months ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Quite honestly, I rarely jack with the gain/fade settings. Instead, I just modify the WAV file in audacity (Effect > Amplitude). Once you replace the WAV files in the folder structure with your modified ones, you may need to delete the cache file from the root of the USB and let the orchestration cache rebuild.

I usually normalize all of my audio files. Then use the Global Levels controls to balance the different sets. In other games, that seems to work very well.

It would slow me down to have to re-normalize each group to get the relative levels right.

#1278 9 months ago

How is the pinsound with STTNG? Better than the original sound track?
    Just got one, wondering if it will be an improvement.
    Thanks!
    Richard

#1279 9 months ago
    Quoted from Richard-NBA-SF2:

How is the pinsound with STTNG? Better than the original sound track?
    Just got one, wondering if it will be an improvement.
    Thanks!
    Richard

It’s a better improvement than ColorDMD IMHO, even if keep the original speakers. External sub helps a lot if you keep OG speakers.

1 month later
    #1280 7 months ago

Anyone use leg protectors with the headphone station? Do I just need longer bolts? If so what size?

#1281 7 months ago
    Quoted from shepP:

Anyone use leg protectors with the headphone station? Do I just need longer bolts? If so what size?

I had the same issue.

These fit:

https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-extended-chrome-leg-bolt-2-34.html

They are 1/4" longer. If you need more length, they sell flat top (regular 3/8-16) bolts at Home depot.

standard leg bolts are 3/8-16 x 2 1/2" Longer ones are 2 3/4" long.

#1282 7 months ago
    Quoted from shepP:

Yes, but I guess the stock bolts in the games I had them on were long enough.

#1283 7 months ago

Ok, the newest version of PinSound Studio Pro has been posted. Cool, however is there a features or change log to indicate what is "new" about it?
    I can't seem to find it anywhere.

However on the new Firmware, it's referred to:

** VERSION 23.08.1 – 28 AUG 2023
    ————————————————————

* New: User information embedded into pack (check PinSound Studio Pro >= v.23.08)
    * New: Latest PinSound hardware devices support
    * Improved: PSPACK format support
    * Improved: USB self-diagnosis content
    * Improved: Shakerization for Judge Dredd
    * Improved: Shakerization for Fish Tales

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG
    #1284 7 months ago

Also, if you have "registered" your PinSound Studio Pro software previously.....

it appears you'll have to do it again. Why? After installing the 23.08.1, my program was "Unregistered".

1 week later
    #1285 7 months ago

FYI New Update for PinSound
    also with changelog info

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG
    1 month later
    #1286 6 months ago

Beginner's question: It's my understanding that I can put multiple .zip files in the root of the USB and then somehow I will be able to select between mixes when I boot up my game. I've downloaded a good CFTBL mix, but I'd also like to be able to switch between that and the original game sounds. However, when I download the original mix from the pinsound website, it is a .pspack file and not a .zip. Putting that .pspack file on the USB does nothing. How do I turn the .pspack into a .zip that can be read by the board during gameplay?

#1287 6 months ago

The PSPACK should install just like a zip file. Is your firmware up to date on your PinSound board?

At worse, copy the PSPACK file to your computer and open it with PinSound Studio. Once you do this it will "extract" the folder contents which you can then zip and copy to your USB for install as normal. Additionally, you can just manually copy the entire folder structure to the "audio" folder on your USB.

#1288 6 months ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

The PSPACK should install just like a zip file. Is your firmware up to date on your PinSound board?
    At worse, copy the PSPACK file to your computer and open it with PinSound Studio. Once you do this it will "extract" the folder contents which you can then zip and copy to your USB for install as normal. Additionally, you can just manually copy the entire folder structure to the "audio" folder on your USB.

Thank you. How will I be able to toggle between different mixes when I boot my game up?

#1289 6 months ago
    Quoted from Pinbarclay:

Thank you. How will I be able to toggle between different mixes when I boot my game up?

while the game is running, turn the volume all the way down and back up again.

you will hear a jingle when it changes soundtracks.

make sure min volume override is enabled or it will stay at volume 8 and not go all the way down.

#1290 6 months ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

while the game is running, turn the volume all the way down and back up again.
    you will hear a jingle when it changes soundtracks.
    make sure min volume override is enabled or it will stay at volume 8 and not go all the way down.

Ah ok... so not something that can be done unless control door is open?

#1291 6 months ago
    Quoted from Pinbarclay:

If you have the pinsound headphone station with external volume then you can switch without opening the door.

#1292 6 months ago
    Quoted from Pinbarclay:

Quoted from MrMikeman:

If you have the pinsound headphone station with external volume then you can switch without opening the door.

Yes!

I bought the headphone station so I could change the volume to change soundtracks without opening the coin door.

#1293 6 months ago

Hi, I just installed a pinsound plus on my TZ. It works great, already tested different sound packages, but I don't have the startup chime. I just get a low buzzing sound and must guess when the pinsound is ready. I also tried to load a custom startup sound but it didn't work. Im running the latest firmware with the stock speakers. What do you think is wrong? Thank you

#1294 6 months ago

Make sure the file you want is labelled boot.wav, approx 13 seconds max length, 31khz or less and located in your audio folder.

#1295 6 months ago

I downloaded the one for TZ on their page. The strange thing is that also the pinsound startup chime does not work

1 week later
    #1296 5 months ago

Has anyone used the Arcade Upkeep Dual Voltage Power Supply to power a Pinsound Plus Board. The board has three 12-volt connections and three 5-volt connections. I want to power a ColorDMD and a Pinsound Plus on my IJ. The ColorDMD connects to one of the 12 volt connectors but I’m not sure how to connect the Pinsound board.

ARCADE UPKEEP Dual Voltage PS02 (resized).pngARCADE UPKEEP Dual Voltage PS02 (resized).pngARCADE UPKEEP Dual Voltage PS03 (resized).jpgARCADE UPKEEP Dual Voltage PS03 (resized).jpg
    #1297 5 months ago
    Quoted from OTRChief:

Has anyone used the Arcade Upkeep Dual Voltage Power Supply to power a Pinsound Plus Board. The board has three 12-volt connections and three 5-volt connections. I want to power a ColorDMD and a Pinsound Plus on my IJ. The ColorDMD connects to one of the 12 volt connectors but I’m not sure how to connect the Pinsound board.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

No, but no reason it shouldn't work as long as the voltages are correct. The DE JP I previously owned, I powered all of the extras (ColorDMD, PinSound, etc.) with an exteranal power supply.

#1298 5 months ago
    Quoted from OTRChief:

[quoted image][quoted image]

I've purchased 2 of these to power multiple mods on my older machines so as not to over tax the power driver board, and they work perfectly. The main power chord is a lil bulky in the cabinet but that's a very minor complaint. Never used it to power a pinsound board but as others have said I don't see why it wouldn't work. Brandon seems like a good guy as well and has been pretty helpful in the past when I had questions.

1 week later
    #1299 5 months ago

Pinsound told me that the missing startup sound is a software bug that need fixing. I just tried with the latest update (30 october) but still no startup sound... I'm having problem with the pspack too. Tried to contact them again via mail with no luck and also on their forum but it's very limited and every single post needs to be approved... I try here maybe someone can help me.
    I want to modify some gains and some shaker options in the original TZ mix that is a pspack file, this is what I do:
    - I open the pspack file with their studio pro software
    - The software unpacks the pspack and creates a folder called "Twilight-Zone-Original" that contains all the single folders. It also moves the pspack into this folder (check picture 1)
    - I then make my gain and shaker modifications and click save. From the date I can see that the "config.pinsound" file gets updated but the pspack file remains old
    - Once i turn on my pin the soundboard moves the pspack to the main folder and all the custom settings are overwritten. The cofig.pinsound file remains in the folder but if I try to open this file again with studio pro it tells me that the pspack is missing (the one that was moved to the main folder).
    What is the procedure to create a custom sound and shaker package starting from a pspack? Sadly I can't find any guide. Thank you

1 (resized).jpeg1 (resized).jpeg

1 week later
    #1300 5 months ago
    Quoted from Piso:

Pinsound told me that the missing startup sound is a software bug that need fixing. I just tried with the latest update (30 october) but still no startup sound... I'm having problem with the pspack too. Tried to contact them again via mail with no luck and also on their forum but it's very limited and every single post needs to be approved... I try here maybe someone can help me.
    I want to modify some gains and some shaker options in the original TZ mix that is a pspack file, this is what I do:
    - I open the pspack file with their studio pro software
    - The software unpacks the pspack and creates a folder called "Twilight-Zone-Original" that contains all the single folders. It also moves the pspack into this folder (check picture 1)
    - I then make my gain and shaker modifications and click save. From the date I can see that the "config.pinsound" file gets updated but the pspack file remains old
    - Once i turn on my pin the soundboard moves the pspack to the main folder and all the custom settings are overwritten. The cofig.pinsound file remains in the folder but if I try to open this file again with studio pro it tells me that the pspack is missing (the one that was moved to the main folder).
    What is the procedure to create a custom sound and shaker package starting from a pspack? Sadly I can't find any guide. Thank you
    [quoted image]

I'm having similar issues, it's a complete mess. I've also updated to the latest firmware and confirm I've lost the startup sound but not a big issue for me.

What is a big issue is this, I noticed odd behaviour on my working original sounds folder. I downloaded it again from PinSound and noticed the files that were odd had different numbers on the folder name. I want to test that issue but to do so I wanted to completely replace my original sound. I know I can just rename that one folder, but I wanted to get to the bottom of this and any others that I didn't notice.

As it happens, this doesn't work, and not does renaming the folder.

PinSound will not, positively ever, recognise that newly downloaded pspack being placed in the audio folder. It does recognise it when you put it in root, and it unpacks it, but it doesn't put it in the audio folder with the other packs. This ruins my OCD.

It needs looking at definitely. For such a great product, easy dragging and dropping should be a breeze but it's a headache.

There are 1,398 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 28.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tantrums-guide-to-pinsound/page/26 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.