(Topic ID: 186644)

Mr. Tantrum's Guide to PinSound

By Mr_Tantrum

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2659 (resized).jpeg
    File Content DE Audio FLAC (resized).JPG
    MM backbox (resized).jpg
    IMG_0831 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0830 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0829 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2024-01-21 190411 (resized).jpg
    1 (resized).jpeg
    ARCADE UPKEEP Dual Voltage PS02 (resized).png
    ARCADE UPKEEP Dual Voltage PS03 (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).JPG
    Capture (resized).JPG
    screenshot (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_8354 (resized).png
    IMG_8353 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

10 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,396 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 28.
    #1001 1 year ago
    Quoted from kba78:

I think it may have something to do with the firmware, but I can't seem to get it to update. Or even verify the firmware revision on the USB drive, for that matter
    Also new ribbon cables and verified the orientation

If an older firmware then there is a different process for getting the info. Is there a config.ini file on the root of the USB? If so you want to edit this file and add a line: debug = true

Doing this will cause the PinSound to write a text file to the drive on next boot that shows diagnostic info, firmware version, etc.)

Can you please check and report back?

#1002 1 year ago

That's what is also strange,
    I only have these 2 files and they are in the sound package, not the root

Config
    Pinsound config

Not the config.ini in the root, and I am not sure why? Seems like the pinsound is not unpacking it properly

#1003 1 year ago

Here are the screenshots

16489089166244258188690361255901 (resized).jpg16489089166244258188690361255901 (resized).jpg16489089698078570396837711120959 (resized).jpg16489089698078570396837711120959 (resized).jpg16489089851897138603037764556711 (resized).jpg16489089851897138603037764556711 (resized).jpg
    #1004 1 year ago

And these screenshots are exactly the same as what comes on the downloaded file. I wonder if the pinsound is not unpacking them at all?
    Strange, because it goes through the whole process, as expected.

#1005 1 year ago

Do you have Windows set to hide extensions for known file types? I'm betting that config file is the config.ini file (did you attempt to edit to see what was in it?)

#1006 1 year ago

This is all that's in the config folder after going through the loading process. You will have to excuse me, I'm not great with computers.

16489112412324586303380747976995 (resized).jpg16489112412324586303380747976995 (resized).jpg
    #1007 1 year ago

Add the line I told you to the file, save it, copy to USB, put pack in PinSound, turn on pin, play a ball, turn off pin, put USB back in computer and see if a new file was added to the root (I forget what it will be named). If so, edit that file and post contents.

#1008 1 year ago

Before I do that, I did have extensions hidden and this is what it looks like now

16489118271788400897094864108741 (resized).jpg16489118271788400897094864108741 (resized).jpg
    #1009 1 year ago

Ok, I added the line you said, played a ball and nothing changed

16489123441956117846816532532263 (resized).jpg16489123441956117846816532532263 (resized).jpg
    #1010 1 year ago

No, a new file will be created and saved in the root folder. Show me a pic of that.

#1011 1 year ago

I'm sorry, I wasn't too clear. No changes to the root all. Looks the same as the picture I posted in #1003

#1012 1 year ago

Maybe config.ini is old/legacy then. I would reformat the drive (FAT 32) and copy the latest firmware for Pinsound 1 to the root (nothing else), and see if it updates.

#1013 1 year ago

I've done that twice. Each time it says no audio files on drive. It's really bizarre. I formatted and I'm reloading now (4th time). Don't think it's going to change but I'll try. And I'll try to update again. Will report back later
    Thanks

#1014 1 year ago

Correct, I'm asking you to wipe the drive then attempt a firmware update only BEFORE you put any audio files on the drive.

#1015 1 year ago

ok @mr.tantrum,

update still does not take, just says no sounds of usb stick.

then tried reinstall sounds, no go.
    everything is the same as it was.
    I can confirm that it converted all the files from oog to wav.
    i thought i read somewhere that there is a update in between mine and the most recent. i am version 1.3, I don't see another update on there website and they still have not responded to emails

#1016 1 year ago
    Quoted from kba78:

ok @mr.tantrum,
    i thought i read somewhere that there is a update in between mine and the most recent. i am version 1.3, I don't see another update on there website and they still have not responded to emails

Are you sure you downloaded the pinsound 1 firmware and not the Pinsound plus/neo?

#1017 1 year ago
    Quoted from kba78:

ok @mr.tantrum,

Show me the root folder again. Depending on the folder structure, we can determine if you are on the older or new convention.

Until we know what firmware you are on, it is impossible to know if that is your issue or not. Your symptoms seem to point that you are on a legacy firmware, and depending on how old it is there are special instructions to update to most current (It won't just do it automatically). Any sound package you download will have been configured for only the newer firmware convention. While it may convert/unpack, it will never work.

If you don't see a pinsound-self-diagnosis.txt in the root then it is on an older firmware (with the newer firmware versions this file is automatically created on boot every time).

If that is the case then either edit (if it exist) or create a new config.ini file. Inside the config.ini file have these 2 lines:

[main]
    debug = true

Reboot pin, wait for PinSound to acknowledge, start a game, turn off pin & remove USB, then open USB on computer and there should be a diag file in the root.

#1018 1 year ago

Definitely don't have the diagnosis file in the root.
    I do have the config file but it's in the audio folder.
    I will edit the config file the way you suggested. But should I manually move it to the root?

PXL_20220402_232649335 (resized).jpgPXL_20220402_232649335 (resized).jpgPXL_20220402_232822513 (resized).jpgPXL_20220402_232822513 (resized).jpg
    #1019 1 year ago

I don't know what you are doing or how the structure is building, but the config.ini file should be in the root. The config.pinsound file is unique per orchestration, so you will have one of those in each orchestration folder.

Not sure any files would be hidden, but set windows to show hidden files to see if anything else shows up. BTW, the newer firmware versions not longer use config.ini, so the fact that it somehow popped up is supporting the fact that you may be on a legacy firmware.

Also, I was trying to get you to not install an orchestration yet - that is only compounding the troubleshooting complexity. Also, what the heck is going on with your dates? None of those folders were created in 1979.

#1020 1 year ago

I am well aware that the config file should be in the root. That's the way it builds when the pinsound unpacks everything. So that's one of the problems.

I did set windows to show hidden files and nothing new is there.
    As far as the dates, I have no idea. One time after unpacking with the board, the dates said December.

Not even sure if editing the config.ini file will work, with it in the audio folder.

#1021 1 year ago

Did exactly like you said with the config.ini file
    And no diagnosis show up, after a game.

I'm guessing it's a firmware issue, just have no clue how to update it, especially when I don't even know what version it is currently

#1022 1 year ago

A

Quoted from kba78:

Did exactly like you said with the config.ini file
    And no diagnosis show up, after a game.
    I'm guessing it's a firmware issue, just have no clue how to update it, especially when I don't even know what version it is currently

There is a process, but could potentially brick the PinSound. That is why it is 100% required we know the current firmware version.

So, when you download this file: https://www.pinsound.org/wp-content/uploads/releases/pinsound-update-20062.psrom

Copy it to the root of the USB, put USB in pin and power on, the PinSound does not go through a firmware update process?

#1023 1 year ago

Also, since you are in a DE pin have you checked the 5V with a meter on the PinSound? What other mods do you have in the game (color DMD, etc.) that are sucking power?

#1024 1 year ago

No mods on the pin, and yes I have checked the 5v and it is solid, I believe it came in at 5.1v.

This is the update process that I have done.
    Format the USB, downloaded this same update (0062)
    Then copy it to the formatted USB.

Insert and boot game, pinsound boots as usual, follows by the message " no files on USB".

I've tried the same process multiple times, with same results.

Am I doing something wrong? Seems pretty simple

#1025 1 year ago

That points to you being on a legacy firmware since it does not recognize the new firmware file to install (or possibly it is already on that firmware, but I question that because if you were on a current firmware it would create the info file every time you reset it). As I mentioned, there is a special process if you are on a legacy firmware that I could help you with, but there is a potential for bricking the board.

Where did this board come from (yours or someone else's) and what game was it in before (I assume it was working fine)?

#1026 1 year ago

Fellow pinsider that had it in a star trek next gen.

I truly believe it worked, so I don't think I got ripped off.

If you could help me with the firmware, I would appreciate it very much.i understand the risk, but the board is no good to me as it sits anyways

#1027 1 year ago
    Quoted from kba78:

Fellow pinsider that had it in a star trek next gen.
    I truly believe it worked, so I don't think I got ripped off.
    If you could help me with the firmware, I would appreciate it very much.i understand the risk, but the board is no good to me as it sits anyways

I'm sorry, but at this point you are going to have to await a response from PinSound to move to the next step.

#1028 1 year ago

Ok, I'll wait to here from them. I appreciate you trying to help.

#1029 1 year ago

I need some advice, again.
    I have a modified Game ROM for T2 (no Profanity) with integrated call out "FUA".
    The matching Sound ROM is not installed.
    I set the PinSound to record and play some games, but PinSound only plays the Boot.wav and remains silent during gameplay.
    Even no playlist was recorded... what went wrong, any suggestion?
    Maybe, the Game ROM is unknown for the PinSound-Board?

#1030 1 year ago

Is this a new install? Are you 100% sure your ribbon cable is in the correct orientation (what you are describing is symptomatic of it being reversed based on others I have helped).

Just to verify, what version of PinSound and what firmware version are you running?

#1031 1 year ago

I use PinSound Plus with the latest Update.
    The Game ROM is a new hack with sections from the Profanity ROM and the regular L-8 version.
    Animation and call out address are working, but I have to find a way to be able to record the sounds with PinSound to rearrange in the Studio software and add the call out at it's place where it belongs.

#1032 1 year ago

Hello All - question regarding the JP Endprodukt mix.

My JP worked totally normal for a long long time, but now when the I start a new game and the 'welcome to JP' animation and sound intro play - the sounds are doubled up - IE welcome to JP and some other audio cue play at the same time.

I've updated to the latest firmware and even reinstalled the endprodukt mix to no change.

Anything I should try?

Thanks!

#1033 1 year ago

Did you change anything regarding the sounds? Sometimes when you hear a sound play it is actually multiple back to back sounds. If you lengthen the initial sound there there will be overlap when the second sound plays.

#1034 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Did you change anything regarding the sounds? Sometimes when you hear a sound play it is actually multiple back to back sounds. If you lengthen the initial sound there there will be overlap when the second sound plays.

I haven’t changed anything - the game sat there I played for a while and when I turned it on it started doing this. The rest of the sounds seem to play normally

#1035 1 year ago
    Quoted from JohnJN:

I haven’t changed anything - the game sat there I played for a while and when I turned it on it started doing this. The rest of the sounds seem to play normally

Try replacing the USB stick first:

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-16GB-Ultra-Flash-Drive/dp/B077Y149DL/ref=sr_1_3

1 week later
    #1036 1 year ago

Recently bought the Pinsound Plus for an original Monster Bash. Downloaded the sound file, but when trying to get the community files, I cant get past the "confirm your email" page to view any of the community files. Have requested help from Pinsound multiple times without success. Anyone have any suggestions? I have tried to resend the confirmation email 8-10 times....thx

Pinsound (resized).PNGPinsound (resized).PNG
    #1037 1 year ago

Check your junk mail? My pinsound emails always end up there.

#1038 1 year ago

Not in Junk either...thx

#1039 1 year ago

Do you only have one email address? If not, can you try another? Have a spouse/child/friend try?

#1040 1 year ago
    Quoted from HighVoltageX:

Recently bought the Pinsound Plus for an original Monster Bash. Downloaded the sound file, but when trying to get the community files, I cant get past the "confirm your email" page to view any of the community files. Have requested help from Pinsound multiple times without success. Anyone have any suggestions? I have tried to resend the confirmation email 8-10 times....thx
    [quoted image]

Make a fresh Gmail address and try again.

#1041 1 year ago

Or a different email client. Maybe something is set wrong in your current email client. A security setting or something.

#1042 1 year ago

Installed a pinsound plus in my BSD today. Noticed a hissing type noise when the game is at idle ( on but not playing) is this normal? I’m using the factory stock speakers for now.
    Also noticed when switching back to the factory sounds, the volume is much lower than the pinsound mix. Are you supposed to adjust the volume on the board itself if you switch back to factory?

#1043 1 year ago

Yes, I recognize the same annoying "swwwwwwwwooooschh".
    I gave PinSound a hint, maybe the latest update will solve this issue?

#1044 1 year ago

Or send me a pm and I'll send you my mb mix that they have online .. KJS

#1045 1 year ago

Hello all,

it's done, PinSound has coded a folder, with the data I sent them.
    So it is now possible to play the Profanity Call Out "Fuck You Asshole" through PinSound.
    The folder is created in the voice directory and the file is stored in it.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Soon, a new Game ROM will be available for the T2, which has the contents of the Profanity ROM integrated.
    In the settings A.2 18 there are 6 modes that can be selected. The modes with the endings "FUA" will play the Call Out (Fuck You Asshole) instead of the 100.000 (Big Points).

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

The new Game ROM can do even more, but that will be described in more detail on IPDB.

You can download the sound pack with the call out and a nice boot intro here:
    https://www.pinsound-community.org/index.php?/files/file/383-t2_enhanced_profanity_averell_v10zip/

And of course the sound pack also runs with the old Game ROM L8 (L8.1/8.2).

Enjoy... regards Averell

#1046 1 year ago

I am working on a custom pinsound mix for Batman Forever. What do you guys do for the random sounds and effects? Pew pew!

Also, I’m having a hard time with pinball specific call outs. I’ve actually pulled words from other movies and pieced audio together for a few, but it is very tedious finding syllables to piece together.

Lastly. Many of the sound folders are mislabeled with callouts. So would the folder description need to change or the audio file? What would the correct one be? Example. Folder labeled: jackpot but plays “how bout we play again” instead of jackpot. The “how bout we play again” folder would usually have the “jackpot” audio but not always.

#1047 1 year ago
    Quoted from Spunky1562:

I am working on a custom pinsound mix for Batman Forever. What do you guys do for the random sounds and effects? Pew pew!
    Also, I’m having a hard time with pinball specific call outs. I’ve actually pulled words from other movies and pieced audio together for a few, but it is very tedious finding syllables to piece together.
    Lastly. Many of the sound folders are mislabeled with callouts. So would the folder description need to change or the audio file? What would the correct one be? Example. Folder labeled: jackpot but plays “how bout we play again” instead of jackpot. The “how bout we play again” folder would usually have the “jackpot” audio but not always.

Leave the folder names alone. The game rom needs to know where to look.

#1048 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

Leave the folder names alone. The game rom needs to know where to look.

Yes, I know the folder name addresses need to stay the same (the number part) but the actual description can be changed. Which would be correct; the audio file or the descriptor?

1 week later
    #1049 1 year ago

Thanks for all the reply's....used a different email address and got it to work.

very-nice-great-success.jpgvery-nice-great-success.jpg
    #1050 1 year ago

Installing my first Pinsound into a BSD. I am getting no sound after installing the BSD Expanded Remix V1. One thing that seemed odd was the instructions the board was giving during the install was barely audible. I had to put my ear right next to the board to hear what it was saying. Any suggestions?

Thanks

There are 1,396 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 28.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tantrums-guide-to-pinsound/page/21 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.