(Topic ID: 186644)

Mr. Tantrum's Guide to PinSound

By Mr_Tantrum

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2659 (resized).jpeg
    File Content DE Audio FLAC (resized).JPG
    MM backbox (resized).jpg
    IMG_0831 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0830 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0829 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2024-01-21 190411 (resized).jpg
    1 (resized).jpeg
    ARCADE UPKEEP Dual Voltage PS02 (resized).png
    ARCADE UPKEEP Dual Voltage PS03 (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).JPG
    Capture (resized).JPG
    screenshot (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_8354 (resized).png
    IMG_8353 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

10 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,400 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 28.
    #951 2 years ago
    Quoted from MG7322:

Yes. All available tracks were downloaded on the memory stick. I even tried again on a fresh memory stick to be sure. The pot (volume control) on the pin is all “crackly” and uneven when I turn up the volume, or try to shift to another orchestration but that was the issue before I put in the pinsound. Thinking rebuild kit?

Might need a new volume POT or clean it.

They do get noisy and corroded over time.

Cleaning can help:

#952 2 years ago
    Quoted from Reznnate:

Factory wiring is likely mono. You need the pinsound STEREO ribbon cable if you don't have it already. I made this mistake initially on my LOTR.

Ok. I will look to see if my cable is correct

#953 2 years ago

Is the IJ Endprodukt file on Pinsound community still the incomplete file missing callouts? If so, how do I contact Endprodukt to get the complete file? Thx!

#954 2 years ago

I tried to customize my own soundpack today, using PinSound+ V3.8

The following problems occur:

I can only ever download a soundpack from the forum at the moment, copy it to the USB stick and plug it into PinSound+, then it unpacks and the soundtrack works.

As soon as I take out the USB stick and change and save something in PinSoundStudio Plus, the Soundpack no longer works in PinSound+. Then it checks the USB stick again and again and again, but it doesn't work anymore.

Second problem, I can't see any shaker functions in the soundpacks in PinSoundStudio Pro, even though PinSound+ recognizes that there are 32 shaker events, for example, when creating the soundpack. But I can't see that in PinSoundStudio Pro, also clicking on the soundfiles doesn't work here.

How can I set the additional relay if the other things do not work? Partly I want to switch the lighting with a shaker event or perform an additional effect.

Unfortunately all this does not work once a soundpack is modified in PinSound Studio Pro.
    Maybe there's an issue with soundpacks created with PinSoundStudio V0.9 or the firmware for PinSound+ V3.8 doesn't work properly?

Any suggestions?

#955 2 years ago
    Quoted from Averell:

I tried to customize my own soundpack today, using PinSound+ V3.8
    The following problems occur:
    I can only ever download a soundpack from the forum at the moment, copy it to the USB stick and plug it into PinSound+, then it unpacks and the soundtrack works.
    As soon as I take out the USB stick and change and save something in PinSoundStudio Plus, the Soundpack no longer works in PinSound+. Then it checks the USB stick again and again and again, but it doesn't work anymore.
    Second problem, I can't see any shaker functions in the soundpacks in PinSoundStudio Pro, even though PinSound+ recognizes that there are 32 shaker events, for example, when creating the soundpack. But I can't see that in PinSoundStudio Pro, also clicking on the soundfiles doesn't work here.
    How can I set the additional relay if the other things do not work? Partly I want to switch the lighting with a shaker event or perform an additional effect.
    Unfortunately all this does not work once a soundpack is modified in PinSound Studio Pro.
    Maybe there's an issue with soundpacks created with PinSoundStudio V0.9 or the firmware for PinSound+ V3.8 doesn't work properly?
    Any suggestions?

Official shaker events are stored on the ROM via the firmware installation.

You wont see them in the orchestrations via the pinsound studio, they aren't there.

If you add a single event in the orchestration via pinsound studio, the "Built in" or on board ROM events will automatically be disabled.

This is to avoid conflicts between the "ROM stored" events and the "user defined" events.

Its an "all or nothing" scenario. There is no modifying the official shaker events.

One other thing:

The USB stick that you use is important.

Pinsound+ is a bit finicky, some work better that others

I have had the best, most consistant results with these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077Y149DL/ref=twister_B09HJH4H8Y

Get a few of them to store a variety when building an orchestration.

Some USB sticks barely work and have very inconsistant results. It can be maddening.

Some very old orchestrations have to be converted to the "new style" by emailing them in to be modified.

The conversion process is proprietary and not available to the end user, but its free to have pinsound do it for you.

The turn around times have been fairly quick.

I had a real struggle with my custom 12 doctors orchestration. It was an older orchestration originally by @rdoyle1978.

It worked perfectly but needed conversion to get it to work right in the new pinsound studio program.

Once converted everything started working perfectly.

Lastly, Pinsound+ depends on a fairly solid 5 volts. Some people have had bad results with low or inconsistent 5v circuits.

Rebuiling the power circuit helps to solve many problems if its old or flakey.

#956 2 years ago

Thank you for the detailed explanation.
    Of course, I am not satisfied with the given situation.
    To protect the process "by copyright" I think is the wrong way and also completely moronic.
    And with PinSound1 we have achieved very good results without this motion crap.
    PinSound should have released the second channel (B) for us, then the stupid additional relay could have been omitted. Something like that can always be rebuilt with the simplest means.
    Why good things are always made worse is beyond me.
    I already use exactly this USB stick and every time the USB stick was in the PinSound+, it is "damaged" on the PC. So there is something wrong!
    I now have a PinSound+ with motion control and can not use it properly because meaningful settings were nailed shut.
    And I even don't know what happens to a soundpack with motion control if I add the relay function, does it deactivate the motion control settings for the shaker, too?

#957 2 years ago

Not sure what you are talking about. The evolution of PinSound has trended towards being a highly end-user technical experience to create an implement orchestrations to a more plug-and-play solution which opens up the product to a much greater audience. While doing this they have still continued to produce software and leave the product open to end-use customization which is far more than would can be said about other pinball mod companines (ColorDMD comes to mind first).

The shaker routines that are now included in firmware were all developed by end-users like me, and PinSound figured out a way to implement them into all orchestrations by default via a firmware solution. Personally, I embed my shaker events in the config.pinsound file I upload with my orchestrations to the PinSound Community site, but I cannot speak for others. This way users are free to start with my events and customize.

I don't have my USB drive in my computer right now, but I believe the new PinSound firmware generates some sort of cache table for all of the sounds. This is why you can't just copy/paste a new sound onto the drive and have it work immediately. I've not messed with it for some time, so I can't remember what my workaround was but I'm sure if you played around with it you can figure out a shortcut beyound completely zipping your changes in a complete orchestration and reinstalling it.

#958 2 years ago

Exactly like Mr_Tantrum said.

If you want to change sounds, you unpack the sound package on your computer. Do whatever changes you want. Re-compress it (Windows own Send to Zip works well). Put it on the USB stick and let Pinsound decompress and install it.

#959 2 years ago

OK, but is there a chance to get config-file for the shaker events that I can load into PinSoundStudio Pro?
    Or are there lists of soundfiles (number and name) with known values available?
    So I'll be able to rearrange the soundpack.
    The latest release for T2 with shaker events is perfect, but I want to edit them in PinSoundStudio Pro to add more effects via the extension relais on the motion control board.

#960 2 years ago
    Quoted from Averell:

OK, but is there a chance to get config-file for the shaker events that I can load into PinSoundStudio Pro?
    The latest release for T2 with shaker events is perfect, but I want to edit them in PinSoundStudio Pro to add more effects via the extension relais on the motion control board.

I think I understand what you want but as Mr_Tantrum has stated, the shaker events that are built-in are a "take it or leave it" situation. If you want to change them you have to do all of it. You can use the built-in or not. You can't edit the built-in shaker events nor can you see what they are as it's in the firmware, not a config file.

The relay is independent. You can add relay events while keeping the built-in shaker events but they are linked to sound calls, not shaker events. Personally I found the relay controls to be quite limited because they are time based.

#961 2 years ago

Mmmh, I think I have to try it again and I need more experience with the new hardwire environment.

#962 2 years ago

Now the process is clear.
    First I have to arrange all the settings for the extension relais, duckings and other things, but leave the shaker off.
    Then the entire soundfiles must be zipped, so PinSound+ starts to unzip and rearrange all the files - successful.
    Shaker support is working as implemented in the motion control and the relais is switched by custom settings in PinSound+.
    Now I have to play around with the timings and that's it.

Thanks again for the advice

regards
    Averell

#963 2 years ago
    Quoted from Averell:

I would say you have two possibilities to derive the existing shaker events of a given title so that you can maintain the core package and tweak:
    1) Download various orchestrations for the pin from the PinSound community forum and see if you get lucky with them being embedded in one of the config.pinsound files
    2) Figure out who did the shaker routine for PinSound for that title (ask the user group), and PM them to see if they will share the config.pinsound file with you. The caveat here is that this will only work with orchestrations that follow the same numbering conventions. Oddly enough, the same pin can have multiple folder numbering schemas and they will each work with their unique config file. I ALWAYS use the same convention on the games I dev for so that I can simply copy my config.pinsound file from one orchestration to the next and it brings over all of my settings (sounds, shaker events, relay events, etc.)

I've done 4 or 5 of the shaker routines (I forget exactly how many) that PinSound now uses - Getaway being by main baby, as anyone who is familiar with me knows.

#964 2 years ago

I and Endprodukt were one of the first guys that developed and tested the shaker functions for PinSound1.
    We used txt-files and the extension A-channel to support 5 volt provided to an arduino relais.
    Later we had the idea to use the B-channel as well for switching LED-stripes or else.
    Later on PinSound decided to do their own thing... the result is Motion Control.
    I still use PinSound1 in my Indy and if a shaker event is switched, LED-Stripes behind the backplex switch simultaneously.
    This is much easier to adjust as it is right now in PinSound+, because I cannot see the shaker event, but it's ok and I will fugure out some callouts and soundeffects where to switch backlight and illuminated speaker grils.
    For Pinheads that just want to have plug and play, PinSound+ is a good thing.
    But the entire technical description could be much better.

This is one of my first implementation of a custom made shaker with speed control and extension relais using PinSound1.
    This still works in my Indy for 6 years right now.
    The additional power supply is used for PinSound1 and shaker, only.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

And here the very similar implementation in my T2 with Motion Control.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#965 2 years ago
    Quoted from Averell:

I

From Mathazar...
    If the newly added or renamed files are not being played, the pinsound board could be using an old cache file.

Delete the ".cache" file that should be found in the root folder of the USB stick. Boot up the pin, and the pinsound lady should go thru the "checking sound files" routine as the cache file is rebuilt to the groovy music. Depending on the number of changes, this could take as little as a minute or as many as 10 or more. When complete, try triggering the new or changed sound files in the game.

*** It worked for me!

#966 2 years ago

This is an interesting hint, thank you.

#967 2 years ago

Yes deleting the cache file is exactly what fixes that issue

#968 2 years ago

I decided to take the STTNG original files as provided by pinsound and turned them into pseudo-stereo 2 channel sound. In my opinion it has come out really good. I actually contacted Dan Forden who did the sound on the next generation and he provided me all the rom addresses and the file names he actually used when he produced the sound for the pin. I’ve then extracted the sound from the sound rom and worked directly with the wave files in audacity to make them stereo. Then I used the config file as provided by pinsound but I replaced all of the files from the extractive rom. I also increased the volume of the voice files as they were a bit low in the game and they sound much much better

I went ahead and renamed the files accordingly to track the changes. What I don’t understand is how do I submit this if I want to do a new orchestration and make sounds changes to the default as provided by pinsound.

Do I send the files as found in the folder structure with an explanation of what I did? Where do I send it?

Thanks Nac

#969 2 years ago
    Quoted from Nacman:

I decided to take the STTNG original files as provided by pinsound and turned them into pseudo-stereo 2 channel sound. In my opinion it has come out really good. I actually contacted Dan Forden who did the sound on the next generation and he provided me all the rom addresses and the file names he actually used when he produced the sound for the pin. I’ve then extracted the sound from the sound rom and worked directly with the wave files in audacity to make them stereo. Then I used the config file as provided by pinsound but I replaced all of the files from the extractive rom. I also increased the volume of the voice files as they were a bit low in the game and they sound much much better
    I went ahead and renamed the files accordingly to track the changes. What I don’t understand is how do I submit this if I want to do a new orchestration and make sounds changes to the default as provided by pinsound.
    Do I send the files as found in the folder structure with an explanation of what I did? Where do I send it?
    Thanks Nac

Zip the archive and submit it to the pinsound community.

Put what you did in the comments.

People are going to love it.

#970 2 years ago
    Quoted from Nacman:

I decided to take the STTNG original files as provided by pinsound and turned them into pseudo-stereo 2 channel sound. In my opinion it has come out really good.

Quoted from pinballinreno:

Zip the archive and submit it to the pinsound community.

If/when you do post it to the pinsound community, please post an alert / link here. I'd love to take it for a spin myself. Thanx!

#971 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mathazar:

If/when you do post it to the pinsound community, please post an alert / link here. I'd love to take it for a spin myself. Thanx!

A Google drive link will get it to us quicker.

Takes a few days for pinsound to confirm it and release it

#972 2 years ago

Agreed. It took me about 10 days of doing about 30 at a time. I will post it on google drive. The only thing I need to convert to stereo is the FX files. I am working on that now. Should be a few days as there aren't as many. Thankfully Audacity scripting does the bulk of the work I just need to save it to a new file name.

#973 2 years ago

Also, unpack the files on your computer after downloading them before writing them to the USB stick. It's far faster than letting Pinsound do it! Remember to delete the cache file anytime you edit anything!!! Pinsound will rebuild it correctly.

#974 2 years ago

pinsound studio plus, I have full version registered, cannot see where it's able to add new sounds though. Any direction?

#975 2 years ago
    Quoted from volkdrive:

pinsound studio plus, I have full version registered, cannot see where it's able to add new sounds though. Any direction?

Its more of volume/playback tool, as well as creating shakers.

You have to manually add sounds, voices and effects to the USB stick or your folder on your computer and then copy them to the USB stick.

#976 2 years ago

Does anyone know who made the “default” or “original” STTNG orchestration offered by pinsound direct?

#977 2 years ago

I have finished the STTNG sound files for my Pinsound. Sharing it here along with a utility that I found on the internet. If anyone knows the Author, please advise sound I can pay him respect.

Here is the contents of the readme file in the shared folder. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/166foZAxpM8ZzijOlVjeAXjPdqJkAXQLD?usp=sharing

Free to use, change, whatever you like.

I spent a good part of a month editing a few hours a night.
    The files HAVE NOT been submitted to Pinsound yet, therefore I am using the ORIGINAL STTNG config.pinsound file.

I found A ton of mis-labeled sounds, spelling errors and plain made up sound names.

I struck up an online friendship with Dan Forden who was the MUSIC engineer on the STTNG project for Williams, found his name on the Playfield.lol....

He was really cool to talk to and provided me with a complete printout of the ROM contents by HEX address from the MPU and the Labels that were used during production. I have no doubt that the document he provided could be superseded by last minute changes or additions/deletions.

The good news is I labeled the sounds with the ROM addresses inside the folder that Pinsound calls for that sound. If you ever buy an aftermarket product or learn to decode the MPU calls to the soundboard, the sky's the limit with a lightshow or other things you may want to do.

Maybe Dan has previously shared this info, I could be a day late and a dollar short. Lol…
    I don’t know.

The Voice calls have been raised up a few db. Adjust it as needed in the duckings setting if it is too loud. I play my machine on about Volume 5 or 6 and it is plenty loud for me.

All sounds have been converted to Pseudo Stereo and level set to the same DB for all voice.
    A different but all the same DB for FX.

I did this with a paid plugin from a plugin provider that works with Audacity. All encoded to 44100k

The ROM calls have six distinct KILL SOUND on CHANNEL X that are not duplicated in Pinsound but should be IMO. I am going to ask them to be included in a new orchestration that I will submit. I think it is important when the game wants to silence a loop track or silence a currently playing sound or sounds.

The Second folder contains a simple editor I found on the internet, when I discover the author I will pay respects. It is a simple way to load up a CSV of sound listing by address or however you choose to make your list. In that folder called
    STTNG-Wav-Files” contains every WAV file I modified and that is in the folder structure of the orchestration, but they are not in folders here, just all in the list. Run the EXE, it doesn’t install, click file load and load the CSV. Then play a sound selection. I have them listed in ROM address order. If you edit the file in excel, keep it in CSV format or the program will choke.

Enjoy and please provide feedback/errors/omissions or questions.

-Nacman

3 weeks later
    #978 2 years ago

Hey everyone, Been working on this all day and still can not get this running. When I copy the zip files over, I get the audio conversion notice (magical chime), then checking sound files please wait, then the startup chime, then solid white light along the whole pinside plus board (Head phone, status and all sound adjusters lights) with no audio. Just solid white lights and silence. Can not find what the white light "sound event" means and I can not find anything on the web related to this issue. All firmware is up to date. When I restart it at this point, it acts normal, green light, nice chime and no audio. To add to the screwyness, if I crank the coindoor volume to max. The game starts audio and floods the sound with random game cues. Then, you can not turn the volume down via coindoor (LOUD AF). Start a game and all audio cues are all messed up. "TRIPLE JACKPOT" chime on a skill shot. Mission music does not cue either. Sounds are random. I'm using the original audio pack to decipher what's wrong. Used other packs and the same thing happens. This is the LOTR stern whitestar machine. Thought maybe you all can help.
    Thanks

272987011_10222008734989807_730513258905990790_n (resized).jpg272987011_10222008734989807_730513258905990790_n (resized).jpg274241326_10222008735109810_106800410335700825_n (resized).jpg274241326_10222008735109810_106800410335700825_n (resized).jpg
    #979 2 years ago

Try a different USB flash drive. I have had trouble with a few different drives.

Im using this one with zero errors (its the one that pinsound sells):

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-16GB-Ultra-Flash-Drive/dp/B077Y149DL/ref=sr_1_5

#980 2 years ago

Get the latest update from PinSound.
    You have the newest hardware revision 3.8 and this doesn't work properly with older Firmware.
    There have been two releases in the last four weeks for the new Plus-Boards!

The latest version is from 09.02.2022

https://www.pinsound.org/pinsound-neo-plus-help/

#981 2 years ago

Try a different USB flash drive. I have had trouble with a few different drives.
    Im using this one with zero errors (its the one that pinsound sells):
    amazon.com link »

Bought the new USB and same issue. Was hoping it would have been that easy. Pinsound is sending me a new adapter. But, I'm still not sure if this will fix the issue.

#982 2 years ago
    Quoted from Averell:

Get the latest update from PinSound.
    You have the newest hardware revision 3.8 and this doesn't work properly with older Firmware.
    There have been two releases in the last four weeks for the new Plus-Boards!
    The latest version is from 09.02.2022
    https://www.pinsound.org/pinsound-neo-plus-help/

Yes, I'm all up to date with the current firmware. Here is my pinsound-self-diagnosis file too. If this helps.

pinsound-self-diagnosis (resized).jpgpinsound-self-diagnosis (resized).jpg
    #983 2 years ago

Looking at the pics you’ve put up, i can see you connected the stereo speaker harness (the 3 sets of red/black wires upper right of the wider angle pic)to the whitestar board instead of Pinsound. That makes no sense.

Do you get the flashing orange LED on the adapter? You should have a flashing led on the pinsound in parallel. This shows that the whitestar board is communicating with pinsound. Are you sure the ribbon cable is correctly oriented?

#984 2 years ago
    Quoted from MrMikeman:

Looking at the pics you’ve put up, i can see you connected the stereo speaker harness (the 3 sets of red/black wires upper right of the wider angle pic)to the whitestar board instead of Pinsound. That makes no sense.
    Do you get the flashing orange LED on the adapter? You should have a flashing led on the pinsound in parallel. This shows that the whitestar board is communicating with pinsound. Are you sure the ribbon cable is correctly oriented?

Hope these pics will help more than the last couple. LED is Green. Cables are set to what the video instructions said to do. To the best of my knowledge. I get the audio from the pinsound board, " audio conversion, please wait" elevator music. Speakers are working. No game sound though and on audio conversion, same issue. Says "checking audio files, please wait" then just stops, chimes and no game audio. No percentage call outs. Just, stops. White lights.
    IMG_4625 (resized).jpgIMG_4625 (resized).jpgIMG_4633 (resized).jpgIMG_4633 (resized).jpgIMG_4634 (resized).jpgIMG_4634 (resized).jpgIMG_4635 (resized).jpgIMG_4635 (resized).jpgIMG_4636 (resized).jpgIMG_4636 (resized).jpgIMG_4637 (resized).jpgIMG_4637 (resized).jpgIMG_4639 (resized).jpgIMG_4639 (resized).jpg

#985 2 years ago
    Quoted from B_DUB_311:

Hope these pics will help more than the last couple. LED is Green. Cables are set to what the video instructions said to do. To the best of my knowledge. I get the audio from the pinsound board, " audio conversion, please wait" elevator music. Speakers are working. No game sound though and on audio conversion, same issue. Says "checking audio files, please wait" then just stops, chimes and no game audio. No percentage call outs. Just, stops. White lights.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

does the game start but with no sound?

are all pins correctly socketed on the microprocessor chip (none bent up inside or backwards etc...)?

#986 2 years ago

does the game start but with no sound?
    are all pins correctly socketed on the microprocessor chip (none bent up inside or backwards etc...)?

Yes, game starts, no sound. The pinsound conversion can not convert to a certain point. Then stops. I just double checked the pins again on the chip to the adapter. I noticed in one of my pictures it looked like 1 pin, in the bottom left looked a bit off. Hoping that was it.

#987 2 years ago
    Quoted from B_DUB_311:

Yes, game starts, no sound. The pinsound conversion can not convert to a certain point. Then stops. I just double checked the pins again on the chip to the adapter. I noticed in one of my pictures it looked like 1 pin, in the bottom left looked a bit off. Hoping that was it.

Reinserted the chip and made sure everything lined up. Same issues. Maybe pinsound was right. They sent me a new adapter. I really am at a loss at this point.

1 week later
    #988 2 years ago

So. Received new adapter today, having the exact same issues. I replaced all cables too with brand new ones. Does anybody have any other solutions or suggestions? Firmware is up to date. Everything works just fine on original game when removing pinsound. Really bummed. Was hoping I can get this to work. It just won’t get through the sound conversion stage. Tried multiple sound packs with same results.

So the system does this:

1. Installs the latest firmware.
    2. Restart the pinball.
    3. Audio chime from pinsound.
    4. Performing audio conversion, please wait. This cycles about 3 times with music in between
    5. Audio chime again.
    6. Checking sound files, please wait. Elevator music again.
    7. Magical chime again.
    8. Pinsound board turns all the lights white, no sound, nothing else occurs.
    9. I've let it sit like this for an hour to see if anything will happen, but no. I've tried multiple sound packs with the same result.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks

#989 2 years ago
    Quoted from B_DUB_311:

So. Received new adapter today, having the exact same issues. I replaced all cables too with brand new ones. Does anybody have any other solutions or suggestions? Firmware is up to date. Everything works just fine on original game when removing pinsound. Really bummed. Was hoping I can get this to work. It just won’t get through the sound conversion stage. Tried multiple sound packs with same results.
    So the system does this:
    1. Installs the latest firmware.
    2. Restart the pinball.
    3. Audio chime from pinsound.
    4. Performing audio conversion, please wait. This cycles about 3 times with music in between
    5. Audio chime again.
    6. Checking sound files, please wait. Elevator music again.
    7. Magical chime again.
    8. Pinsound board turns all the lights white, no sound, nothing else occurs.
    9. I've let it sit like this for an hour to see if anything will happen, but no. I've tried multiple sound packs with the same result.
    Any advice is much appreciated.
    Thanks

Unzip the files manually so that the pinsound doesnt have to do it?

#990 2 years ago

Unzip the files manually so that the pinsound doesnt have to do it?

Did that. Once I turn on the machine, pinsound board says "there are no audio files on the USB drive". I'm starting to think it's a damaged board. Not reading the files.

#991 2 years ago

I GOT IT UP AND RUNNING!!!! Once it did those steps and did the last chime. I needed to reboot the system. Everything loaded fine after that. Weird. Could've been that new adapter too. Cause the one before was scrambling the call outs. This one is not. Thanks for the support guys!

2 weeks later
    #992 2 years ago
    Quoted from Nacman:

I have finished the STTNG sound files for my Pinsound. Sharing it here along with a utility that I found on the internet. If anyone knows the Author, please advise sound I can pay him respect.
    Here is the contents of the readme file in the shared folder. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/166foZAxpM8ZzijOlVjeAXjPdqJkAXQLD?usp=sharing
    Free to use, change, whatever you like.
    I spent a good part of a month editing a few hours a night.
    The files HAVE NOT been submitted to Pinsound yet, therefore I am using the ORIGINAL STTNG config.pinsound file.
    I found A ton of mis-labeled sounds, spelling errors and plain made up sound names.
    I struck up an online friendship with Dan Forden who was the MUSIC engineer on the STTNG project for Williams, found his name on the Playfield.lol....
    He was really cool to talk to and provided me with a complete printout of the ROM contents by HEX address from the MPU and the Labels that were used during production. I have no doubt that the document he provided could be superseded by last minute changes or additions/deletions.
    The good news is I labeled the sounds with the ROM addresses inside the folder that Pinsound calls for that sound. If you ever buy an aftermarket product or learn to decode the MPU calls to the soundboard, the sky's the limit with a lightshow or other things you may want to do.
    Maybe Dan has previously shared this info, I could be a day late and a dollar short. Lol…
    I don’t know.
    The Voice calls have been raised up a few db. Adjust it as needed in the duckings setting if it is too loud. I play my machine on about Volume 5 or 6 and it is plenty loud for me.
    All sounds have been converted to Pseudo Stereo and level set to the same DB for all voice.
    A different but all the same DB for FX.
    I did this with a paid plugin from a plugin provider that works with Audacity. All encoded to 44100k
    The ROM calls have six distinct KILL SOUND on CHANNEL X that are not duplicated in Pinsound but should be IMO. I am going to ask them to be included in a new orchestration that I will submit. I think it is important when the game wants to silence a loop track or silence a currently playing sound or sounds.
    The Second folder contains a simple editor I found on the internet, when I discover the author I will pay respects. It is a simple way to load up a CSV of sound listing by address or however you choose to make your list. In that folder called
    STTNG-Wav-Files” contains every WAV file I modified and that is in the folder structure of the orchestration, but they are not in folders here, just all in the list. Run the EXE, it doesn’t install, click file load and load the CSV. Then play a sound selection. I have them listed in ROM address order. If you edit the file in excel, keep it in CSV format or the program will choke.
    Enjoy and please provide feedback/errors/omissions or questions.
    -Nacman

Hey Richard!!
    Question on your amazing work with the sound files. I am JUST NOW getting up to speed on how PinSound "works or doesn't work" with the shaker motor option. It appears some / most shaker events and firmware based and must be overwritten with a stripped out or plain (no shaker) version of a specific sound package. THEN a person have ADD TO the package "shaker events" via the PinSound Studio Pro application.

Now honestly, I could have all this wrong.....and PLEASE anyone, correct me. The QUESTION is, is your super great STTNG Sound Package devoid of Shaker events?? Hoping you will say yes, and most importantly, this method will provide me a CLEAN PALLET to add shaker events where I want them....

Thanks everyone for reading this, any and all advice is appreciated.

#993 2 years ago
    Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

Hey Richard!!
    Question on your amazing work with the sound files. I am JUST NOW getting up to speed on how PinSound "works or doesn't work" with the shaker motor option. It appears some / most shaker events and firmware based and must be overwritten with a stripped out or plain (no shaker) version of a specific sound package. THEN a person have ADD TO the package "shaker events" via the PinSound Studio Pro application.
    Now honestly, I could have all this wrong.....and PLEASE anyone, correct me. The QUESTION is, is your super great STTNG Sound Package devoid of Shaker events?? Hoping you will say yes, and most importantly, this method will provide me a CLEAN PALLET to add shaker events where I want them....
    Thanks everyone for reading this, any and all advice is appreciated.

If available, the firmware contains the shaker routine.
    If you add a single event via pinsound studio, the "built in" shaker routine will be bypassed and no linger be available.

Volume adjustments and alterative sound files do not affect the shaker routine.

So, its all or noting. Either use the firmware shakers, or make your own.

#994 2 years ago

Hello all,

I need help or some tips on the following issue.
    How can I edit the Profanity Sound ROM from the T2 with PinSound so that I can determine the callout "FUA"?
    So how must the file be named and in which folder it must be placed?
    How do I have to proceed so that this works?
    I have the callout digitally remastered, but I just do not know how to integrate this with PinSound.
    I know that the Game ROM will also need to be replaced, but that is secondary for now.
    I am concerned with the procedure of how to do this.

#995 2 years ago
    Quoted from Averell:

Hello all,
    I need help or some tips on the following issue.
    How can I edit the Profanity Sound ROM from the T2 with PinSound so that I can determine the callout "FUA"?
    So how must the file be named and in which folder it must be placed?
    How do I have to proceed so that this works?
    I have the callout digitally remastered, but I just do not know how to integrate this with PinSound.
    I know that the Game ROM will also need to be replaced, but that is secondary for now.
    I am concerned with the procedure of how to do this.

You can use PinSound Studio Pro to easily load the orchestration and play through the sounds to determine where the sound is you are looking for. Replace the sound with your desired file (name doesn't matter) by deleting original file and replacing with yours - DO NOT CHANGE THE FOLDER NAME (at least the number portion). Alternatively, you can have multiple sound files in a folder and they will play randomly when that event occurs.

With the new PinSound structure, you'll need to delete the cache file from the drive and let it rebuild with the new sound file (this may not be necessary if you name the file the same exact thing).

#996 2 years ago

Thanks for advice

Maybe I need to burn the Profanity ROM and also swap the SOUND ROM and then record several games with PinSound to determine when the callout plays where?
    Or maybe I don't need the SOUND ROM for this and it's enough if this is called from the Profanity and then appears in the playlist?

#997 2 years ago

I wonder if anyone has some insight on a problem I am having.

I have an older pinsound v1.3 in a last action hero
    I load the USB with the downloaded sound files, start up the pinball and it proceeds to load as normal. When completed, I reboot the machine and no game sounds, just the normal boot sound.

Here what I've tried
    Turn volume down then up, which produces a short sound
    Check votages- all good
    Tried multiple sound packages, as well as different games. Even a Williams Indiana Jones, with same results.
    I downloaded the most recent firmware, but when I try I to load it, the woman says "no audio files"?
    I've used pinsound+ with no problem, but never a pinsound 1
    I emailed the guys at pinsound, but haven't heard back. So I thought maybe someone else has insight.
    Any help or suggestions would be great

#998 2 years ago
    Quoted from kba78:

I wonder if anyone has some insight on a problem I am having.
    I have an older pinsound v1.3 in a last action hero
    I load the USB with the downloaded sound files, start up the pinball and it proceeds to load as normal. When completed, I reboot the machine and no game sounds, just the normal boot sound.
    Here what I've tried
    Turn volume down then up, which produces a short sound
    Check votages- all good
    Tried multiple sound packages, as well as different games. Even a Williams Indiana Jones, with same results.
    I downloaded the most recent firmware, but when I try I to load it, the woman says "no audio files"?
    I've used pinsound+ with n problem, but never a pinsound 1
    I emailed the guys at pinsound, but haven't heard back. So I thought maybe someone else has insight.
    Any help or suggestions would be great

Is this a new install? Please post closeup of board where all connectors can be seen.

#999 2 years ago

Used board, first time in one of my machines.

16488676733656463621510957676349 (resized).jpg16488676733656463621510957676349 (resized).jpg
    #1000 2 years ago

I think it may have something to do with the firmware, but I can't seem to get it to update. Or even verify the firmware revision on the USB drive, for that matter

Also new ribbon cables and verified the orientation

There are 1,400 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 28.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tantrums-guide-to-pinsound/page/20 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.