Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,398 posts
  • 155 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 days ago by Garrett
  • Topic is favorited by 242 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2659 (resized).jpeg
    File Content DE Audio FLAC (resized).JPG
    MM backbox (resized).jpg
    IMG_0831 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0830 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0829 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2024-01-21 190411 (resized).jpg
    1 (resized).jpeg
    ARCADE UPKEEP Dual Voltage PS02 (resized).png
    ARCADE UPKEEP Dual Voltage PS03 (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).JPG
    Capture (resized).JPG
    screenshot (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_8354 (resized).png
    IMG_8353 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

10 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,398 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 28.
    #801 3 years ago

The registration thing baffles me - who are they trying to make sure *doesn’t* use their software?

I mean, everyone using the software would have bought their board.

Worried that too many people will produce content for their product?

Or maybe they’re worried about someone knocking off their board design?
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsound-no-more-reset-and-rob-kahr-s-board

I’m with you on all of your points, except the “starting to” (I’m already there.)

#802 3 years ago

I would welcome feedbacks on two points:
    - Has anyone tested LOTR Pinsound shaker package vs a "standard" Stern Shaker implementation (ie using the updated PAL and ROM, etc)
    - There are four expansion ports available on Pinsound, has there been any documentation on how to use them ?

Thanks !

#803 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ashram56:

I would welcome feedbacks on two points:
    - Has anyone tested LOTR Pinsound shaker package vs a "standard" Stern Shaker implementation (ie using the updated PAL and ROM, etc)
    - There are four expansion ports available on Pinsound, has there been any documentation on how to use them ?
    Thanks !

On my first LOTR I had the version 10.02 and pal chip upgrade to implement that shaker which was great. Since selling that machine and buying another years later I now went with the complete Pinsound setup with the shaker.

IMHO the pinsound shaker setup is leaps and bounds over the LE version of 10.02. One of the biggest draws to it is that you have the ability to implement that shaker on any sequence you like in addition to strength, pattern and duration of the shaker's use.

If you are going to get a pinsound it only makes sense to go for the few extra dollars and get their shaker kit setup. Once again that's MHO.

#804 3 years ago
    Quoted from DeathHimself:

On my first LOTR I had the version 10.02 and pal chip upgrade to implement that shaker which was great. Since selling that machine and buying another years later I now went with the complete Pinsound setup with the shaker.
    IMHO the pinsound shaker setup is leaps and bounds over the LE version of 10.02. One of the biggest draws to it is that you have the ability to implement that shaker on any sequence you like in addition to strength, pattern and duration of the shaker's use.
    If you are going to get a pinsound it only makes sense to go for the few extra dollars and get their shaker kit setup. Once again that's MHO.

Thanks for this info. I already have a pinsound, so was considering the upgrade. That said I'm not too big on customization (spending waay too much time already on repairing/modding HW), but can I assume the default "shakerization" is already good enough?

Ah, also, do you know if I can use Stern shaker as a replacement for the pinsound shaker, of course replacing the control electronics board ? Or is it a different motor with different voltage requirements?

That's too avoid if I can having to physically swap the shaker themselves. Plus it has the bonus that if I ever sell my LOTR, I can easily remove the pinsound and just sell it stock with the original LE shaker

Regards

#805 3 years ago

Unfortunately I do not know the answers about using the stock shaker with their control board and voltages etc... So that maybe a question for Nick at Pinsound.

That being said to customize the shaker routines is just as quick as clicking a button, I can literally add a shaker to any sequence in seconds in pinstudio choose which target/sequence etc click motion control on, pick pattern, strength and length click save, done.

Good luck and hopefully you get the info you are looking for.

#806 3 years ago

OK, so I found some answers:
    - Pinsound shaker orientation is not the same as Stern Shaker, so I would need to drill new holes... Argh, bad
    - Pinsound shaker board installs in the backbox, with a long wire from the backbox. I can only assume this cable is Power and GND.
    - Stern shaker board installs next to the shaker, with just one control wire from the backbox (ground)

Bottom line: I can probably use the already installed Stern shaker provided that:
    - Pinsound shaker is 12V as well (that's what Stern shaker uses)
    - I build a wire harness (easy)

Can someone confirm that the motor is 12V ? That should be written on the motor itself (if you happen to have one lying around already installed... which is unlikely but worth asking )

I did send an email to Pinsound directly, no response yet

#807 3 years ago

Has anyone looked into using a pinsound board for a pre-DMD Data East game? I'm assuming this is a hard no, but recently got in my head how awesome it would be to add a custom soundtrack to Time Machine with different music for the decades.

#808 3 years ago
    Quoted from scootss:

Has anyone looked into using a pinsound board for a pre-DMD Data East game? I'm assuming this is a hard no, but recently got in my head how awesome it would be to add a custom soundtrack to Time Machine with different music for the decades.

General rule is if it is not on PinSounds game list, then it is not supported: https://www.pinsound.org/pinballs

My assumption is they would want to sell as many boards as possible, and therefore if a game was supported they would certainly have it on the list. I'm not an electrical engineer, and I don't have a knowledge of how sound was produced is the older pins but there is most likely something in hardware/software architecture that is not compatible.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #809 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ashram56:

OK, so I found some answers:
    - Pinsound shaker orientation is not the same as Stern Shaker, so I would need to drill new holes... Argh, bad
    - Pinsound shaker board installs in the backbox, with a long wire from the backbox. I can only assume this cable is Power and GND.
    - Stern shaker board installs next to the shaker, with just one control wire from the backbox (ground)
    Bottom line: I can probably use the already installed Stern shaker provided that:
    - Pinsound shaker is 12V as well (that's what Stern shaker uses)
    - I build a wire harness (easy)
    Can someone confirm that the motor is 12V ? That should be written on the motor itself (if you happen to have one lying around already installed... which is unlikely but worth asking )
    I did send an email to Pinsound directly, no response yet

The PinSound Motion Control board may very well have some logic in it, and be required for the shaker to function properly and w/o damaging your PinSound board (the control board must be wired into the PinSound board itself). Even if the shaker motor were to be compatible (which it may very well be), without the Motion Control board, you are probably dead in the water. To my knowledge, these cannot be purchased apart from the shaker itself.

From a simple perspective, the PinSound board is where the firmware resides and the commands for the various shaker actions occur when sounds are fired. These actions are then sent to the motion control which in turn fires the shaker. I don't know how other shakers work, but with Pinsound there are 9 pre-defined actions, and 3 custom ones (the custom ones can be changed for different orchestrations and pins, thus not really limiting you to just 3 total actions across all orchestrations). Each action has a starting intensity, a duration, and an ending intensity. It is much more complicated than just turning the shaker on for x milliseconds then shutting it off. The Motion Control board also has a relay that you can plug any device into and control its turning on and off with number of repeats and duration. This is great for external accessories such a fog machines, topper lighting, etc.

#810 3 years ago
    Quoted from Blackjacker:

The registration thing baffles me - who are they trying to make sure *doesn’t* use their software?
    I mean, everyone using the software would have bought their board.
    Worried that too many people will produce content for their product?
    Or maybe they’re worried about someone knocking off their board design?
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsound-no-more-reset-and-rob-kahr-s-board
    I’m with you on all of your points, except the “starting to” (I’m already there.)

I honestly think it comes down to them phasing out new/advanced features for the original PinSound. It's more of a function of the best way to author code, adding new features, etc. that the original board just wasn't engineered to do at the time. Unfortunately, this is the case for nearly all technology. A 32-bit computer can't run a 64-bit software, Windows 10 won't work on your legacy hardware, etc. I know these are just simple analogies with flaws, but the idea holds true. PinSound One owners still have a great product and the tools still support development on them, but they just will not be fully compatible with newer software and features moving forward since the current hardware is evolving both in power and capabilities.

#811 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ashram56:

but can I assume the default "shakerization" is already good enough?

Any current shaker routines that are included in the firmware were written by avid PinSound users like me (I think I have 5 or 6 of my routines built into the software). So, I can confidently say that the default routines are indeed "good enough". I spent numerous hours on each routine with custom shaker events and finely tuning everything to work within the natural flow of the game - these weren't just slapped together mindlessly. FYI, none of us to my knowledge were paid for developing these routines or our orchestrations. We just love the products, what they bring to the pinball community, and we want to openly share our work with others. Therefore, everything I make/do is to the level that I personally would want in my own pins, and I trust that this is the same for the majority of other contributors.

Even so, the great news is that if you don't like the default routine then you can change it in literally minutes with the free PinSound Studio Pro software. You can either tweak the existing routine with free software, or blow caution to the wind and start from scratch with your own. While you can literally apply shaker action to an orchestration and be playing it in about 10 minutes start to finish, to do an original shaker routine well will take at least a couple of hours as you try different things, test on a game, make changes, then repeat the process until you are satisfied.

#812 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

The PinSound Motion Control board may very well have some logic in it, and be required for the shaker to function properly and w/o damaging your PinSound board (the control board must be wired into the PinSound board itself). Even if the shaker motor were to be compatible (which it may very well be), without the Motion Control board, you are probably dead in the water. To my knowledge, these cannot be purchased apart from the shaker itself.

Yes you can buy the control board separately. I have used it to power accessories other than a shaker.

#813 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrMikeman:

Yes you can buy the control board separately. I have used it to power accessories other than a shaker.

Cool, I didn't realize that.

#814 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

From a simple perspective, the PinSound board is where the firmware resides and the commands for the various shaker actions occur when sounds are fired. These actions are then sent to the motion control which in turn fires the shaker. I don't know how other shakers work, but with Pinsound there are 9 pre-defined actions, and 3 custom ones (the custom ones can be changed for different orchestrations and pins, thus not really limiting you to just 3 total actions across all orchestrations). Each action has a starting intensity, a duration, and an ending intensity. It is much more complicated than just turning the shaker on for x milliseconds then shutting it off. The Motion Control board also has a relay that you can plug any device into and control its turning on and off with number of repeats and duration. This is great for external accessories such a fog machines, topper lighting, etc.

Well to clarify, I don't intend to replace the Pinsound shaker control board with the Stern shaker control board, my goal is just to keep the already installed shaker, and control it with the Pinsound shaker board. In the end, the shaker itself is a motor with a 12V and Ground connection, nothing else (as can clearly be seen on the installation diagram). The control scheme is a PWM control system (or maybe voltage controlled, but I doubt it, too complicated to manage for high amperage devices such as a shaker).

So bottom line: if the Pinsound shaker is 12V as well, then I can buy the Pinsound shaker kit, mount the Pinsound shaker control board, and drive by the virtue of a custom wire harness drive the Stern shaker with the Pinsound control board.

This has the benefit that I don't need to drill other holes in my Pinball machine to mount the Pinsound shaker itself which does not have the same mechanical footprint. I can even leave the Stern control board installed, although not used at all. And later on, if I decide to sell my LOTR I can easily remove the Pinsound boards, and just reconnect the Stern shaker.

At least that's the rationale.

Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Any current shaker routines that are included in the firmware were written by avid PinSound users like me (I think I have 5 or 6 of my routines built into the software). So, I can confidently say that the default routines are indeed "good enough". I spent numerous hours on each routine with custom shaker events and finely tuning everything to work within the natural flow of the game - these weren't just slapped together mindlessly. FYI, none of us to my knowledge were paid for developing these routines or our orchestrations. We just love the products, what they bring to the pinball community, and we want to openly share our work with others. Therefore, everything I make/do is to the level that I personally would want in my own pins, and I trust that this is the same for the majority of other contributors.
    Even so, the great news is that if you don't like the default routine then you can change it in literally minutes with the free PinSound Studio Pro software. You can either tweak the existing routine with free software, or blow caution to the wind and start from scratch with your own. While you can literally apply shaker action to an orchestration and be playing it in about 10 minutes start to finish, to do an original shaker routine well will take at least a couple of hours as you try different things, test on a game, make changes, then repeat the process until you are satisfied.

On that point, I must admit that I have a rather negative opinion on the communication and attitude by Pinsound on this topic. When reading their website, they state "Official package", which implies it's done by them. At no point on their website do they highlight that it's actually community done. They don't give any credit, at least none that I could see. Maybe I missed it, but it's not really apparent then.

Curious though, so when loading an orchestration in Pinsound Studio for a supported machine, will the default implemented shaker routine appear at all ? Or will they only be in the firmware, so you don't see in the Pinstudio application what is already implemented (but any change you make on a specific sound command will override what's in the firmware) ?

#815 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

You have to ask. It's not listed separately in the shop.

I have 3 "kits". 1 soundboard only(spare), 1 soundboard+controller board(spare), and 1 full kit with shaker and speakers(STTNG).

#816 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ashram56:

Curious though, so when loading an orchestration in Pinsound Studio for a supported machine, will the default implemented shaker routine appear at all ? Or will they only be in the firmware, so you don't see in the Pinstudio application what is already implemented (but any change you make on a specific sound command will override what's in the firmware) ?

You cannot see it. If you enter ANY shaker routine it disables the built-in one completely.

#817 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Well, I'm trying to find it, but can't on their website...

What type of accessories did you control, and how do you control it (besides the relay on the board) ?

They have these expansion boards which conceptually are very cool, but they fall short on promises here. Their website still has "LED control" for example, but I fail to see how in the current implementation. I know how I would do it if had control of the firmware, but I don't, so...

#818 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrMikeman:

You cannot see it. If you enter ANY shaker routine it disables the built-in one completely.

OK, that's a downer. I certainly don't want to redo an entire shakerization by hand if I want to update just one single effect.

And I know EXACTLY why they did it that way (ie storing the shaker routines within the firmware), and while I understand the business rationale, I personally think that taking community work, integrating it in the product without giving credit, and then not providing a way for the community to access the original work is really borderline.

#819 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ashram56:

Well to clarify, I don't intend to replace the Pinsound shaker control board with the Stern shaker control board, my goal is just to keep the already installed shaker, and control it with the Pinsound shaker board. In the end, the shaker itself is a motor with a 12V and Ground connection, nothing else (as can clearly be seen on the installation diagram). The control scheme is a PWM control system (or maybe voltage controlled, but I doubt it, too complicated to manage for high amperage devices such as a shaker).
    So bottom line: if the Pinsound shaker is 12V as well, then I can buy the Pinsound shaker kit, mount the Pinsound shaker control board, and drive by the virtue of a custom wire harness drive the Stern shaker with the Pinsound control board.
    This has the benefit that I don't need to drill other holes in my Pinball machine to mount the Pinsound shaker itself which does not have the same mechanical footprint. I can even leave the Stern control board installed, although not used at all. And later on, if I decide to sell my LOTR I can easily remove the Pinsound boards, and just reconnect the Stern shaker.

On that point, I must admit that I have a rather negative opinion on the communication and attitude by Pinsound on this topic. When reading their website, they state "Official package", which implies it's done by them. At no point on their website do they highlight that it's actually community done. They don't give any credit, at least none that I could see. Maybe I missed it, but it's not really apparent then.

Quoted from Ashram56:

A few things on this:

1) For the embedded shaker routines, I can only speak to the ones I've done. I developed them for pins I own and/or for pins of friends and freely and voluntarily gave them to PinSound to use at their discretion if they so chose (there was no agreement to use them or not, simply their option). They then vetted them, they passed their controls, and they chose to implement them into the firmware. They are not just taking requests and routines from anyone/everyone. I've developed a 5 year relationship with the owners, and have proven myself over time with them. They sometimes accept my ideas and efforts, and they sometimes reject them. In that sense, I'm no different than any other PinSound owner/user. I never asked for credit, and I don't want any official credit. My only point in stating that I've contributed some of them is that many know my work and efforts within the PinSound community, and trust what I do. This is similar, but different, to products like ColorDMD. Do you know they don't create their own colorizations? There is a pool of people that have done them which never get official credit for such. They are compensated for contract work, but there have been multiple accounts were some of these individuals were not treated fairly in their eyes.

2) If a title shows to have shaker support, when installing the orchestration in the official manner then the shaker routine will be automatically applied. If a title does not have an official embedded shaker routine, then you will need to create your own and add it to the orchestration via PinSound Studio Pro. Of course, you will want to start with the latest firmware installed as this will guarantee you have the most up-to-date shaker routine support.

#820 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ashram56:

OK, that's a downer. I certainly don't want to redo an entire shakerization by hand if I want to update just one single effect.
    And I know EXACTLY why they did it that way (ie storing the shaker routines within the firmware), and while I understand the business rationale, I personally think that taking community work, integrating it in the product without giving credit, and then not providing a way for the community to access the original work is really borderline.

I'll have to verify, but I thought when you installed an orchestration following the standard process that the shaker routine was applied to it and embedded in the pinsound.config file. If this is the case, then once that is done you will have full access to view/modify the existing shaker routine in PinSound Studio Pro.

#821 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ashram56:

What type of accessories did you control, and how do you control it (besides the relay on the board) ?
    They have these expansion boards which conceptually are very cool, but they fall short on promises here. Their website still has "LED control" for example, but I fail to see how in the current implementation. I know how I would do it if had control of the firmware, but I don't, so...

It's a simple relay. You run whatever power you need to the relay and the board provides ON based on sound calls. I used it to control rotating beacons on top of my Roadshow (running on a separate 12v supply). Whenever multiball jackpot was hit and/or extra ball and a few other uses the beacons would come on. Unfortunately the ON call is time based up to 10 secs. I was hoping for an ON signal, followed by an OFF signal when the multiball is over but that was not possible. Kind of like the shaker. You can select a duration for ON and that's it.

#822 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ashram56:

The relay is controlled by applying various actions when certain sounds are played, and it is all very easily done via PinSound Studio Pro. If you've not downloaded the software and worked with it, I strongly suggest you do so. It is all fairly self-explanatory within the software.

You don't need control of the firmware. You only need to set the event triggers and actions in the software which saves to the pinsound.config file of a given orchestration.

#823 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrMikeman:

It's a simple relay. You run whatever power you need to the relay and the board provides ON based on sound calls. I used it to control rotating beacons on top of my Roadshow (running on a separate 12v supply). Whenever multiball jackpot was hit and/or extra ball and a few other uses the beacons would come on. Unfortunately the ON call is time based up to 10 secs. I was hoping for an ON signal, followed by an OFF signal when the multiball is over but that was not possible. Kind of like the shaker. You can select a duration for ON and that's it.

Just to elaborate some on the relay, here are the controls:
    - The relay action duration when activated
    - The number of times the relay should be repeated when activated
    - The time between each repetition

So, when triggered by a sound event you could have the relay turn on for 5 seconds, go off for 2 seconds, then repeat this for 5 cycles. This gives a little more control over just turning on for a set period of time then turning off.

#824 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Just to elaborate some on the relay, here are the controls:
    - The relay action duration when activated
    - The number of times the relay should be repeated when activated
    - The time between each repetition
    So, when triggered by a sound event you could have the relay turn on for 5 seconds, go off for 2 seconds, then repeat this for 5 cycles. This gives a little more control over just turning on for a set period of time then turning off.

I know. However that doesn’t help in my situation where I wanted the relay on for the duration of multiball. There are sound calls(music) to indicate MB is over. Would be nice to have just an ON trigger until OFF is sent to the board.

#825 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrMikeman:

I know. However that doesn’t help in my situation where I wanted the relay on for the duration of multiball. There are sound calls(music) to indicate MB is over. Would be nice to have just an ON trigger until OFF is sent to the board.

Sorry, my intention was to provide the info for others, as I understood your point. Basically, the idea would be to have one sound event trigger on the relay and another sound event to trigger it off.

In looking more closely, the longest duration allowed is 10000ms (10 seconds), the max repeat loops is 10, and the minimum pause is 100 ms (1/10th of a second). I don't have anything connected to my relay, but I'm curious about something.

1) For your on-event, set the time to the max, loops to the max, and pause to the minimum. This would in effect give you a maximum runtime of 100 seconds with short .1 second pulses every 10 seconds which may or may not be acceptable to you.
    2) For your off-event, set the time to the min (100ms) and loops to 1.

Assuming you never needed more than 100 seconds of operation and that the pauses were acceptable, would the second event cancel out the first event event (in effect turning off the relay) if the initial event had not yet completed its full cycle?

#826 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Sorry, my intention was to provide the info for others, as I understood your point. Basically, the idea would be to have one sound event trigger on the relay and another sound event to trigger it off.
    In looking more closely, the longest duration allowed is 10000ms (10 seconds), the max repeat loops is 10, and the minimum pause is 100 ms (1/10th of a second). I don't have anything connected to my relay, but I'm curious about something.
    1) For your on-event, set the time to the max, loops to the max, and pause to the minimum. This would in effect give you a maximum runtime of 100 seconds with short .1 second pulses every 10 seconds which may or may not be acceptable to you.
    2) For your off-event, set the time to the min (100ms) and loops to 1.
    Assuming you never needed more than 100 seconds of operation and that the pauses were acceptable, would the second event cancel out the first event event (in effect turning off the relay) if the initial event had not yet completed its full cycle?

That's pretty much how I had it set up. Had all songs but multiball trigger the OFF signal (short on 1 loop). Didn't always work right but was close most of the time. Roadshow is long gone now and the pinsound & controller board combo is sitting in a box waiting for my next compatible game to show up.

#827 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrMikeman:

Ideally, Pinsound should add the option in the application to define a code to be sent on a specific expansion port when there is a specific sound being played. It's probably exactly how they do it today in their motion shaker board, and there is a microcontroller on it which will interpret the command being sent and translate it into a specific shaker action (or relay trigger).

If they did offer that capability, Pinsound will gain a LOT of value for the modding community. You could very easily develop Arduino based custom HW to trigger events based on sound commands. Could be controlling LED, gyros, or even animation. To give you an idea, manufacturing 10 units of a simple PCB cost about 20 dollars including shipment, and the design for a WS2812 control system is DEAD simple. It could even be done on a breadboard.

This "sound command driven action" is fundamentally the approach taken on the Twilight Zone interactive screen mod. This is also the approach taken on Mike's video mod for "Creature from the black lagoon".

Here's hoping that Pinsound is reading this thread and will implement something similar and not keep it proprietary.

If not, well, there are alternate open source options anyway that do exactly that, at the expense of not being plug and play, and require a little bit of soldering work, so applicable for the tinkerers, not so much for the regular pinball players.

#828 3 years ago

Update/Edit to this post: I wanted to check before purchasing because the pinsound website asks which game (I'm assuming for compatibility purposes). I wasn't sure if selecting DE Batman would be an issue with any preloaded software, and if I would be without those Bally/Williams sound board screw pattern adapters (for placement in the backbox). I'm hoping the board will come with all necessary adapters for the screw pattern in both Batman and Judge Dredd. Just checking because I haven't had much luck getting responses from pinsound.

Guys,

I posted this in the Dredd thread.

Have any of you installed pinsound in your Dredd? I'm wanting to buy it for my Batman Data East but would like to have the option of installing it in my Dredd first ( testing purposes, and future upgrade ). Just wondering if I need to order additional parts for Dredd that's not shown in the screensot below. I'm not planning to replace the Dredd speakers at the moment...just seeing if I can easily swap the sound board from original to pinsound. The reason I'm asking is because I want to try it out on Dredd before having a rebuilt Batman. In other words, I'm anxious to get a pinsound.

Thanks!

Screenshot_20210320-091418_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210320-091418_Chrome (resized).jpg

#829 3 years ago

You pick the pin so that proper hardware is included, but the board is the same regardless.

#830 3 years ago

On your Judge Dredd, you'll see you will have a choice of orchestrations for the original sound files, along with a Stereo variant of the original and two other totally different sound tracks (Outrun and Metallica). In any case, make sure you understand how to manage/customize the software as well before you start pulling connectors! Hint: Pretty easy if you want to use one of the already available community-supplied sets. Much more difficult if you are thinking of customizing yourself, but Mr_Tantrum has a great tutorial in the front of this thread.

#831 3 years ago

Has anyone else run into issues with their mixes yet and the the new "max sounds options"?

I am rebuilding STTNG from the ground up, and these settings are breaking several things for me in game play.

The most obvious examples are

Spinner: There is an obvious delay from the spinner being hit to a sound being played with it being notable closer to when it is stopping. I believe this is because the call is being clipped out and hence why I only hear for a short port of the spin at the very end.

Borg Multiball: Worf's Jackpots get clipped out completely or only partially played. This is more obvious when there are more events are going in the game (sfx).

I have tried moving Worf's callout in jingle, but it sounds really off compared to the original.

I have tried changing the settings, but it does not appear that they can be disabled or increased beyond what I have them at now. I have also reached out to pinsound to see if they have any suggestions.

If anyone has any advice let me know!

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG
    #832 3 years ago

Looks like 21.03.1 was recently posted. Will be giving that a spin tonight and see if the incessant crashes I was getting trying to import and use a playback file have been addressed.

https://www.pinsound.org/help/pinsound-studio-pro/

#833 3 years ago

Glad to say that 21.03.1 does not crash playing back my .psrecord files now! OK - time to figure this software out now....I'm playing back an STTNG orchestration package and trying to figure out why this sound package has no sound for the spinner when playing the game or playing back the .psrecord file. I noticed in the software that the spinner files have speaker icons next to them, and the other files that DO make sounds in the game and during the .psrecord playback do not have this speaker icon. Is that a clue? What does the speaker icon mean in Pinsound Studio Pro? I've looked thru their tutorial videos and docs but it's never mentioned. And FWIW, the screenshots in their tutorials don't show examples with that speaker icon.

screenshot3 (resized).jpgscreenshot3 (resized).jpg
    #834 3 years ago

I haven't had time to work with the new software yet, but if you hover over the speaker do you get any kind of popup?

#835 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I haven't had time to work with the new software yet, but if you hover over the speaker do you get any kind of popup?

Nope. But if I right click, I get options to open the file in file explorer, open the file in my default audio player, or move the file to a different category (music, sfx, jingle, etc). The WAV does play fine in my audio player. Still digging....

#837 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

First think I would do is reformat the USB drive to FAT32 in case something odd happened to it.
    When you upgraded to the latest firmware, it actually took it? If you've not upgraded in years that would surprise me as you most likely would have had to perform an intermediate update with special instructions from Nicolas.

Does anyone have the special instructions to update a pinsound 1 board from a very old firmware? I've got one that was installed in my Doctor Who in 2017 before I bought it, and I'm finally getting around to playing with it since the game finally came home (was routed). I've sent a request to pinsound but haven't heard back yet and I was hoping to mess with it this weekend.

#838 3 years ago
    Quoted from creech927:

Does anyone have the special instructions to update a pinsound 1 board from a very old firmware? I've got one that was installed in my Doctor Who in 2017 before I bought it, and I'm finally getting around to playing with it since the game finally came home (was routed). I've sent a request to pinsound but haven't heard back yet and I was hoping to mess with it this weekend.

https://www.pinsound.org/help/pinsound-1-help/

copy to the root of the USB stick, exactly as it is when you get it, then turn on the game. It should update.

If you have pinsound 1 version 1.3 or 1.4 (listed under the logo), you can add the shaker/motion control system.

Earlier versions 1.2 and below are not compatible.

1 week later
    #839 3 years ago

There is an intermediate firmware required if you are on a really old firmware (I forget the version). I’m out of town right now for a few more days, but PM me later this week if PS does not reply.

#840 3 years ago

I have made some shakers for my Funhouse with pinsound+ and motion control.

It would be AWESOME, if there were official shakers for Funhouse.

In the mean time, I have some made up a shaker set that I like.

How do I move the shaker data from one orchestration to another?

I started with the Original mix and have added Mr. Tantrums as well as the other 2.

It shouldnt be necessary to redo all of the orchestrations from scratch.

1 week later
    #841 2 years ago

Hi everyone
    I just got my first Pinsound board for my TAF
    I had some installation issues which I sorted out but when I was looking to fix the problem I remember coming across a post where someone mentioned that you can put different mixes onto the same flash drive (with the use of Pinsound Studio Pro) and that you then can change the mixes whilst playing the game. I can’t remember but I think you can do rhis through the colume buttons in the coin door. ?
    Does anyone know hiw this is done or point me to the person or thread this was mentioned.
    I was looking everywhere but just can’t find it anywhere anymore
    Thanks in advance

#842 2 years ago
    Quoted from miga:

Hi everyone
    I had some installation issues which I sorted out but when I was looking to fix the problem I remember coming across a post where someone mentioned that you can put different mixes onto the same flash drive (with the use of Pinsound Studio Pro) and that you then can change the mixes whilst playing the game. I can’t remember but I think you can do rhis through the colume buttons in the coin door. ?
    Does anyone know hiw this is done or point me to the person or thread this was mentioned.
    Thanks in advance

If you have the headset attachment, it's a double tap down at zero, if not it can be down with the volume button on the door, once again double tap down at zero, This will change to the next mix on the card. Rinse and repeat to keep doing so.

#843 2 years ago
    Quoted from miga:

Hi everyone
    Thanks in advance

Copy the zipped orchestrations to your flash drive root.

Put it in the game and boot it.

The pinsound will sort it out.

Do them one at a time.

Lower volume to zero you will hear a chime when the next one us active.

Make sure that the min volume override is enabled in the service menu.

You have to double tap the volume control with headphone station.

Basically lower the volume to zero twice and you will hear the chime.

#844 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

Copy the zipped orchestrations to your flash drive root.
    Put it in the game and boot it.
    The pinsound will sort it out.
    Do them one at a time.
    Lower volume to zero you will hear a chime when the next one us active.
    Make sure that the min volume override is enabled in the service menu.
    You have to double tap the volume control with headphone station.
    Basically lower the volume to zero twice and you will hear the chime.

Thanks so much guys!

I just couldn’t find the post anymore

I just tried it out and it’s definitely one of the best features of the Pinsound board in my option.

Cheers from Australia

1 week later
    #845 2 years ago

With all these problems with the new Pinsound Studio, glad I still use the original Still find it very easy to use and upload new orchestrations to a USB.

#846 2 years ago

I've only used it some, but seems to work well for me - haven't worked with the PSREC feature yet.

3 weeks later
    #847 2 years ago

The link to the latest Pinstudio Pro is broken (page is empty with some html code in), and my installed version of Pinsound Studio Pro crashes after opening a config file... (version 21.02.2)

Would anyone has a link to it ?

Thanks

#848 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ashram56:

The link to the latest Pinstudio Pro is broken (page is empty with some html code in), and my installed version of Pinsound Studio Pro crashes after opening a config file... (version 21.02.2)
    Would anyone has a link to it ?
    Thanks

You can get 21.03.1 from here: https://www.pinsound.org/help/pinsound-studio-pro/

#849 2 years ago

Thanks, that's the link I was using, it was dead this afternoon.

It still crashes though... Just love it when this happens

#850 2 years ago

OK, so just tested on another PC where it seems to work. Will have to think of reinstalling windows

That said, I have a TZ which is fully equipped with Pinsound + Pinsound shaker. Working fine, but wanted to add a little bit more power to some events.

Turns out that when I take the USB key on which all orchestrations are installed, if I copy the file over to my PC and open it, I can see the orchestration, but it does not display the embedded shaker settings. So I can't edit them (aside of recreating from scratch). Am I missing something ?

There are 1,398 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 28.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tantrums-guide-to-pinsound/page/17 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.