Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,398 posts
  • 155 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 days ago by Garrett
  • Topic is favorited by 242 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2659 (resized).jpeg
    File Content DE Audio FLAC (resized).JPG
    MM backbox (resized).jpg
    IMG_0831 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0830 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0829 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2024-01-21 190411 (resized).jpg
    1 (resized).jpeg
    ARCADE UPKEEP Dual Voltage PS02 (resized).png
    ARCADE UPKEEP Dual Voltage PS03 (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).JPG
    Capture (resized).JPG
    screenshot (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_8354 (resized).png
    IMG_8353 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

10 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,398 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 28.
    #701 3 years ago
    Quoted from lpgnr:

Is there a faster way to upload mixes to the Pinsound card? I’ve seen it mentioned that you can use the software to speed things up, but I don’t see that option on the software. I can only save to the folder from where I opened the file. It would be nice to not have to wait 45 minutes every time I want to check out a new mix on my Guns N’ Roses game. Thanks in advance for any help!

You can apply un-zipped folders to the usb stick.
    This speeds it up a lot, but the pinsound will still verify all the files for a few minutes.

#702 3 years ago
    Quoted from lpgnr:

Is there a faster way to upload mixes to the Pinsound card? I’ve seen it mentioned that you can use the software to speed things up, but I don’t see that option on the software. I can only save to the folder from where I opened the file. It would be nice to not have to wait 45 minutes every time I want to check out a new mix on my Guns N’ Roses game. Thanks in advance for any help!

Please read at the bottom part of my initial post which outlines how to transfer the uncompressed orchestration manually to the USB from your computer. If you do this, there is zero install time required by the PinSound board.

#703 3 years ago

I have had it work instantly or sometimes go thru some kind of verification for a couple minutes.

But applying unzipped files/folders is definitely the way to go.

#704 3 years ago

Thanks for the answer! I thought I was doing something wrong. I put the unzipped package into the audio folder of the usb stick, but the card took forever to recognize them, so I just gave up, figuring it didn’t work. I’ll have to try again.

#705 3 years ago
    Quoted from lpgnr:

Thanks for the answer! I thought I was doing something wrong. I put the unzipped package into the audio folder of the usb stick, but the card took forever to recognize them, so I just gave up, figuring it didn’t work. I’ll have to try again.

I use the original Pinsound Studio to save the files to the USB. I don't think it is available anymore on the Pinsound site. The program will convert the files to the correct format, so there is no wait time when you plug the USB into the card. I prefer this method as it seems faster (may take 10 minutes) versus having to wait for the card to do the conversion which can take up to 30 minutes. Especially when you are working on orchestrations and have to keep changing the files within the game.

#706 3 years ago

That is what I needed to see. The current software doesn’t allow you to do that, so it seems like I am forced to have the card to do the conversion. I’m going to try again in a few minutes and be a bit more patient this time. I hope it works.

Does anyone have any tips on volume control? I have the headphone station as well, but it seems all of the mixes I use are really loud. I am not able to use the station to turn it down to a reasonable volume. It goes from super loud to loud to silent.

#707 3 years ago
    Quoted from lpgnr:

I am not able to use the station to turn it down to a reasonable volume. It goes from super loud to loud to silent.

Funny, I have noticed that as well. It could be you need to adjust the volume on the Pinsound card or turn the volume of the game to zero. See it that may help.

#708 3 years ago

getting the clicking noise every other time i power up my machine any ideas? the noise is similar to the feedback noise you get when you turn the dials on the card. Reboot usually fixes it.

#709 3 years ago
    Quoted from lpgnr:

Here is your answer: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tantrums-guide-to-pinsound/page/14#post-5966331

#710 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

Funny, I have noticed that as well. It could be you need to adjust the volume on the Pinsound card or turn the volume of the game to zero. See it that may help.

I don’t see a volume knob on the card, just EQ options. Am I missing something? I have the game volume at 2, according to the report on the USB stick. It is still loud AF.

#711 3 years ago
    Quoted from lpgnr:

I don’t see a volume knob on the card, just EQ options. Am I missing something? I have the game volume at 2, according to the report on the USB stick. It is still loud AF.

The EQ options are your volume adjustment, lol.

#712 3 years ago

I guess you don’t know what EQ is, lol Volume is not one of the knobs.

#713 3 years ago
    Quoted from lpgnr:

The coin door volume adjustment is your master volume adjustment.
    No further controls are needed.

#714 3 years ago
    Quoted from lpgnr:

Quoted from pinballinreno:

The coin door volume adjustment is your master volume adjustment.
    No further controls are needed.

EQ = Equalizer | General term for modifying non-volume sound output elements (e.g. bass, treble, etc.) I would suggest turning up your volume to desired levels using pin's default volume adjustment, then adjust EQ settings on the PinSound board as desired.

Or purchase and install a PinSound HeadPhones Station (I highly recommend it) if you wish to have external volume control.

#715 3 years ago

I do have the headphone station, but I can’t turn it down to a reasonable volume. It is either blasting at volume level 1 or silent at volume level 0. It is a bit frustrating ...

#716 3 years ago
    Quoted from lpgnr:

I do have the headphone station, but I can’t turn it down to a reasonable volume. It is either blasting at volume level 1 or silent at volume level 0. It is a bit frustrating ...

What game?

#717 3 years ago

Guns N’ Roses. I also can’t get my sound packages to switch with any consistency, if you have any tips on that as well. I do appreciate all of the help!

#718 3 years ago
    Quoted from lpgnr:

Guns N’ Roses. I also can’t get my sound packages to switch with any consistency, if you have any tips on that as well. I do appreciate all of the help!

With the headphone station you should be able to turn volume all the way down to zero, then up just a little, then back to zero. I do it pretty quickly (within a second or 2). You should hear the confirmation chime. It will then play an excerpt of that new orchestration at a preset volume for a few seconds, then you're back to controlling the volume with the knob on the headphone station as normal.
    I have pinsound on IJ, TZ, & FH. The volume levels on all 3 have adjusted a little differently but the volume adjustments on the service door have worked to tweak my sound/volume knob sensitivity. I will say I'm still usually adjusting within the first ⅛ of a turn on the volume knob when headphones are not in use and need to go to the far full side of the knob when headphones are in. Headphone volume adjust is much more gradual than the system speakers for some reason.

#719 3 years ago

Thanks! I am able to get that to work to switch packagers about 2 times out of 10. Maybe it is my USB stick? I’ll have to try another one to see if that is any better.

#720 3 years ago

For me, you turn volume to 0, hear the chime, then you hear about a 5 second preview of the newly selected orchestration. BEFORE you turn up volume and go back to 0 to change to next orchestration you need to wait until the preview audio finishes. When I do it this way, my orchestration switching works 100% of the time on the two games I have PinSound on (Williams Getaway, & previously owned DE Jurassic Park).

#721 3 years ago

For me I have to "Double Tap" the volume on the headphone station by lowering the volume to zero twice in succession.

Doing it once only works once in awhile.

Lowering the volume to zero twice works great after you get a feel for the timing of it.

#722 3 years ago

I found that I had the volume on my machine too low for the headphone station trick to work. Once I turned the machine’s volume up, this has been working well. Thanks for the tips!

#723 3 years ago
    Quoted from lpgnr:

I found that I had the volume on my machine too low for the headphone station trick to work. Once I turned the machine’s volume up, this has been working well. Thanks for the tips!

Glad you got it working!

1 week later
    #724 3 years ago

After getting the orchestration loaded and playing on the pin, if you want to make a few changes to the music files, can I simply just add/delete music files within the various folders (wav format) and pop the usb back in to the pinsound and play?

I wasn’t sure if this worked the first time I did it, so the next time I pulled the usb out to double check my orchestration changes, I deleted the 3 files that Pinsound loaded on the root. I think it was a self diagnostic, tmp, and cache files. When I put the usb back in the pin it said “searching for music files” for just a couple seconds and then was ready to go.

Working great. I guess my only question is do I need to delete those 3 files every time I edit my orchestration?

#725 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mattyk:

After getting the orchestration loaded and playing on the pin, if you want to make a few changes to the music files, can I simply just add/delete music files within the various folders (wav format) and pop the usb back in to the pinsound and play?
    I wasn’t sure if this worked the first time I did it, so the next time I pulled the usb out to double check my orchestration changes, I deleted the 3 files that Pinsound loaded on the root. I think it was a self diagnostic, tmp, and cache files. When I put the usb back in the pin it said “searching for music files” for just a couple seconds and then was ready to go.
    Working great. I guess my only question is do I need to delete those 3 files every time I edit my orchestration?

I delete the cache file each time. Early on, mine wouldn’t update every time. Like you, I tried deleting that file to see if it would help. It worked so I’ve just been doing it each time l

#726 3 years ago

Hi all - my pinsound 1 board is well over three years old. I downloaded the firmware update file as per the directive of Nicolas at PinSound. It said the board was updating and played music for a few minutes. When I rebooted the machine, I received a message that the machine was updated and to turn the machine off. I installed the sound packages on the USB and put it in the board and it tells me there are no sound packages on the drive. Meanwhile, I've tried downloading one and sometimes a second sound package on the drive but the board does not recognize. My machine, by the way, is T2. I've tried to install the original sound package and the OST version from the community folder.
    Just for background information, I have had the OST version on this board for over 3 years. I just recently removed the USB stick to add the original sound package on the drive. When I reinstalled the drive, I have experienced the issue I'm asking about now. Thanks for any advice as to how to get this working again. My last couple asks for help to Pinsound have not been replied to.

#727 3 years ago
    Quoted from gac:

Hi all - my pinsound 1 board is well over three years old. I downloaded the firmware update file as per the directive of Nicolas at PinSound. It said the board was updating and played music for a few minutes. When I rebooted the machine, I received a message that the machine was updated and to turn the machine off. I installed the sound packages on the USB and put it in the board and it tells me there are no sound packages on the drive. Meanwhile, I've tried downloading one and sometimes a second sound package on the drive but the board does not recognize. My machine, by the way, is T2. I've tried to install the original sound package and the OST version from the community folder.
    Just for background information, I have had the OST version on this board for over 3 years. I just recently removed the USB stick to add the original sound package on the drive. When I reinstalled the drive, I have experienced the issue I'm asking about now. Thanks for any advice as to how to get this working again. My last couple asks for help to Pinsound have not been replied to.

No one responds because as far as I can see, only one person really understands how this all really works - and it ain’t me. Look at post 671 in this thread and see if that helps. It helped me.

#728 3 years ago
    Quoted from gac:

First think I would do is reformat the USB drive to FAT32 in case something odd happened to it.

When you upgraded to the latest firmware, it actually took it? If you've not upgraded in years that would surprise me as you most likely would have had to perform an intermediate update with special instructions from Nicolas.

#729 3 years ago
    Quoted from gac:

I think the boards have a lifetime warranty if you are the original owner.

#730 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

First think I would do is reformat the USB drive to FAT32 in case something odd happened to it.
    When you upgraded to the latest firmware, it actually took it? If you've not upgraded in years that would surprise me as you most likely would have had to perform an intermediate update with special instructions from Nicolas.

I did reformat the USB. I'm sure you are correct that I need special instructions form Nicolas. Problem is, he is not responding to my emails.

#731 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

I think the boards have a lifetime warranty if you are the original owner.

I'm guessing the board is ok. It's just that the older pinsound 1 boards seem to be quirky when it comes to updating. But I would gladly swap it for a new pinsound + board!

#732 3 years ago

What firmware version is on the card right now?

If on an old version of firmware, do the following to create a text file on the PinSound that will show you the boot log with firmware version:

- On your USB root folder create a text file named "config.ini"
    - Edit the file and place the following two lines in it, then save the file to the USB drive
    [main]
    debug = false ; Enable DEBUG mode
    - Put the USB in your Pinsound, reboot the pin, power off the pin, then remove the USB drive
    - Put the USB in your computer and there should now be a new .txt file on the drive (I forget what it's called)
    - Edit this file and find the firmware version listed

#733 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

What firmware version is on the card right now?
    If on an old version of firmware, do the following to create a text file on the PinSound that will show you the boot log with firmware version:
    - On your USB root folder create a text file named "config.ini"
    - Edit the file and place the following two lines in it, then save the file to the USB drive
    [main]
    debug = false ; Enable DEBUG mode
    - Put the USB in your Pinsound, reboot the pin, power off the pin, then remove the USB drive
    - Put the USB in your computer and there should now be a new .txt file on the drive (I forget what it's called)
    - Edit this file and find the firmware version listed

Sorry for my ignorance but I'm not sure I understand. I'm not sure how to create the file and then add two lines to it.

#734 3 years ago

So here's the latest... I went to the PinSound site and downloaded the pinsound 1 update file to my USB. I installed the USB in my machine and got "the machine is currently updating" message. After a few minutes of music playing, the "System is updated" and "please restart the machine now" messages were given. After I shut down the machine, I removed the USB stick and then removed the update file from it. I then downloaded two sound packages for T2 (original sounds and another from the community). I installed the USB in the machine and turned it on. I got the message "USB is not present." I then turned off the machine and turned it back on. The board then performed "audio conversion". Once it was finished, there were some musical chimes and then a couple attract mode sounds from the game. So it appears the original sound package is on the machine and I can adjust the volume. I tried reducing the volume to zero to change to the other sound package but it did not change. So... obviously there is still an issue as I can't access the other sound package. Further suggestions/thoughts? Thanks

#735 3 years ago
    Quoted from gac:

Sorry for my ignorance but I'm not sure I understand. I'm not sure how to create the file and then add two lines to it.

Sorry, that's tier 1 helpdesk level stuff (I only handle the tier 2 and above)

Bottom line is you need to know where you are before you can assess the playback issues. If you are not confirmed on the latest firmware then that is your first course of action before messing with any of the orchestrations. If you put your USB drive into your computer and look at the contents of the root folder, what files/folders do you see?

#736 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Sorry, that's tier 1 helpdesk level stuff (I only handle the tier 2 and above)
    Bottom line is you need to know where you are before you can assess the playback issues. If you are not confirmed on the latest firmware then that is your first course of action before messing with any of the orchestrations. If you put your USB drive into your computer and look at the contents of the root folder, what files/folders do you see?

I just pulled the USB. There is a pinsound self diagnosis folder on it. I opened it and it indicates that the firmware version is 1.4. Below is what I copied from the USB folder.

HARDWARE REVISION
    ------------------

HPS EXTERNAL VOLUME
    ------------------
    1%

INTERNAL FIRMWARE REVISION
    ------------------

PACKAGES
    ------------------
    Terminator_2_Original (active)

PINSOUND FIRMWARE VERSION
    ------------------

SYSTEM
    ------------------
    WPC89

USB DEVICES
    ------------------
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0781:5567 SanDisk Corp. Cruzer Blade

#737 3 years ago

Your firmware is 20.06.2 is current for PinSound 1, so that is good.

Now then, do you have an "audio" folder in the root of the USB (you should)? Open that folder and you will have one or more folders there. Please delete these and we will start from scratch.

After you delete all folders within the "audio" folder, then copy one, AND ONLY ONE, of the zip file orchestrations you downloaded. Copy this zip file into the root of the USB (i.e. at the top level and NOT in a subfolder).

Insert the USB into your PinSound, turn on the pin, and listen to the alerts as it installs the orchestration (however long it takes). When you are alerted that it is done then turn off the pin, remove the USB drive, put it back in the computer, copy the next downloaded orchestration zip file to the root of the USB, insert into pin, turn pin on, and now away for that orchestration to install.

Repeat the above process as many times as needed to install all of your orchestrations.

Please try the above and report back.

#738 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Now then, do you have an "audio" folder in the root of the USB (you should)? Open that folder and you will have one or more folders there. Please delete these and we will start from scratch.
    After you delete all folders within the "audio" folder, then copy one, AND ONLY ONE, of the zip file orchestrations you downloaded. Copy this zip file into the root of the USB (i.e. at the top level and NOT in a subfolder).
    Insert the USB into your PinSound, turn on the pin, and listen to the alerts as it installs the orchestration (however long it takes). When you are alerted that it is done then turn off the pin, remove the USB drive, put it back in the computer, copy the next downloaded orchestration zip file to the root of the USB, insert into pin, turn pin on, and now away for that orchestration to install.
    Repeat the above process as many times as needed to install all of your orchestrations.

Yes, the T2 original sound package is in the audio folder. When I delete this audio file, do I delete everything else on the USB as well? (including the "tmp" file and the "pinsound self diagnosis" file)

#739 3 years ago

You can delete the tmp file if you want, but not necessary. Otherwise, only delete the subfolders under audio.

#740 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Ok... I was able to load the one file from the community onto the pinsound board that I put on the USB. It took a while to load but it appears to have worked! I just want to be sure... if I now take the USB out of the machine to load a second sound package, I must keep the first sound package in the audio folder on the USB and delete anything else on it ("tmp" and "self diagnosis" folders) and then copy the second package to the audio folder? Thanks again

#741 3 years ago
    Quoted from gac:

Ok... I was able to load the one file from the community onto the pinsound board that I put on the USB. It took a while to load but it appears to have worked! I just want to be sure... if I now take the USB out of the machine to load a second sound package, I must keep the first sound package in the audio folder on the USB and delete anything else on it ("tmp" and "self diagnosis" folders) and then copy the second package to the audio folder? Thanks again

Don't delete anything. The second package zip file goes into the root folder. NOT the audio folder. The next boot up will be long also. It will install the files from the second package.

#742 3 years ago
    Quoted from gac:

I just want to be sure... if I now take the USB out of the machine to load a second sound package, I must keep the first sound package in the audio folder on the USB and delete anything else on it ("tmp" and "self diagnosis" folders) and then copy the second package to the audio folder? Thanks again

You don’t need to delete either one at this point.

#743 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrMikeman:

Don't delete anything. The second package zip file goes into the root folder. NOT the audio folder. The next boot up will be long also. It will install the files from the second package.

So just copy the second sound package to the "top level" as Mr. Tantrum would say. I assume the first package I already loaded is now in the audio file and after the second package is added to the USB and loaded on the pinsound board, the second sound package will end up in the audio file?

#744 3 years ago
    Quoted from gac:

So just copy the second sound package to the "top level" as Mr. Tantrum would say. I assume the first package I already loaded is now in the audio file and after the second package is added to the USB and loaded on the pinsound board, the second sound package will end up in the audio file?

Yes. Every audio package you want to add are done in the same way. It's a long process to load audio packages but it's only once.

#745 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrMikeman:

Yes. Every audio package you want to add are done in the same way. It's a long process to load audio packages but it's only once.

Got it. I will be adding the second package shortly. Thanks to everyone for all of your help and patience.

#746 3 years ago

Is anyone using Pinsound for WWF royal rumble? Please message me. I’m looking for the sound clip location for the chair bashing video mode. Thanks.

#747 3 years ago

Just installed my first PinSound in T2 went with the remastered version. Absolutely stunning. A couple of the speech calls are stacked so I might delete a couple files but the music is perfect. I still have the factory speakers installed. That'll change soon.

Might have to buy a full case of these boards for the rest of my games.

#748 3 years ago
    A04773E7-CF49-476C-9CBC-34A5522BBEC0 (resized).jpegA04773E7-CF49-476C-9CBC-34A5522BBEC0 (resized).jpeg
    #749 3 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

[quoted image]

Trash pic is great, but there might be some value to the old board with purists (your's to do with it what you want, of course).

Like I always say, PinSound is unequivocally the best upgrade you can make to older pins. It completely changes the overall game play experience, and the ability to customize is icing on the cake.

If you haven't already, the next thing to consider is the PinSound shaker which integrates with the PinSound boards. There are more and more default shaker routines, but you can also easily build your own. You can assign 1 of 9 built in shakes or create up to 3 custom shakes, each of which can be assigned to any sound events you choose.

#750 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Trash pic is great, but there might be some value to the old board with purists (your's to do with it what you want, of course).
    Like I always say, PinSound is unequivocally the best upgrade you can make to older pins. It completely changes the overall game play experience, and the ability to customize is icing on the cake.
    If you haven't already, the next thing to consider is the PinSound shaker which integrates with the PinSound boards. There are more and more default shaker routines, but you can also easily build your own. You can assign 1 of 9 built in shakes or create up to 3 custom shakes, each of which can be assigned to any sound events you choose.

Haha, no, I just threw it on top for the pic. It's back in it's bubble wrap from the PinSound packaging.

Getaway IJ and TZ are the next three I'm not even going to think twice about upgrading.

There are 1,398 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 28.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tantrums-guide-to-pinsound/page/15?hl=mattyk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.