Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,388 posts
  • 154 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 38 hours ago by Garrett
  • Topic is favorited by 240 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2659 (resized).jpeg
    File Content DE Audio FLAC (resized).JPG
    MM backbox (resized).jpg
    IMG_0831 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0830 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0829 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2024-01-21 190411 (resized).jpg
    1 (resized).jpeg
    ARCADE UPKEEP Dual Voltage PS02 (resized).png
    ARCADE UPKEEP Dual Voltage PS03 (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).JPG
    Capture (resized).JPG
    screenshot (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_8354 (resized).png
    IMG_8353 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

10 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,388 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 28.
    #451 3 years ago
    Quoted from Nihonmasa:

aaah ok
    So how can I know what length should be each stuff? :-s
    Should have the latest firmware as only downloaded a few days ago.
    For the config.ini, what should it include?
    Only hoping I did not buy an expensive board for a specific purpose that can be reached anymore.. Bought the deported headset plug and speakers as wel....

I’m sorry, but I’m not quite understanding some of your questions. If you are talking bout how long the current sounds are, you can open them in any third party audio player. You can also load the original orchestration that you download from PinSound Studio Pro and play them.

You don’t currently need a config.ini file on the USB.

#452 3 years ago

and that means my question was stupid thanks, did not even think of it.

Updated the pinsound+ firmware, still have random sounds/music not playing with the original orchestration from pinsound on my Radical

#453 3 years ago

Sometimes, some of the original sounds are missing for whatever reason on some games. I don't know if this is part of the original extraction process or not. So, when you say random sounds/music are not playing:

1) Are these sound on the OEM sound board that played, but on the PS they do not?
    2) If so, when you put the USB in your computer and look through the folders do these sounds even exist or are they there?
    3) Is it the same sounds that never play, or does a particular sound sometimes play and other times does not?

#454 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Sometimes, some of the original sounds are missing for whatever reason on some games. I don't know if this is part of the original extraction process or not. So, when you say random sounds/music are not playing:
    1) Are these sound on the OEM sound board that played, but on the PS they do not?
    2) If so, when you put the USB in your computer and look through the folders do these sounds even exist or are they there?
    3) Is it the same sounds that never play, or does a particular sound sometimes play and other times does not?

Its pretty easy to check if files work in pinsound studio.

It takes about 30 mins to go through them, but you can play all of them.

In theory, if they play in studio, they play in the game

#455 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

so:
    1) works perfectly with the OEM board
    2) the files are present and playing fine on my computer
    3) nope, it's random, some sounds or music will play and then not, even during the same game

will try to get hold of Nicolas to shed some light on this

#456 3 years ago
    Quoted from Nihonmasa:

so:
    1) works perfectly with the OEM board
    2) the files are present and playing fine on my computer
    3) nope, it's random, some sounds or music will play and then not, even during the same game
    will try to get hold of Nicolas to shed some light on this

Do all of the sounds play in pinsound studio?

#457 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

Do all of the sounds play in pinsound studio?

Yep, they do.

#458 3 years ago

How is your wall power?
    Pinsound is a little sensitive to fluctuations on the 5v end.

Try a different wall outlet/breaker.

#459 3 years ago

How is your wall power?
    Pinsound is a little sensitive to fluctuations on the 5v end.
    Try a different wall outlet/breaker.

Check the 5v power line in the machine too, you might need a booster.

#460 3 years ago

Yes, consistent 5V power is a must. This can be measured with a meter connected to the 5V output connectors on the PinSound board.

Also, disconnect and reconnect all ribbon cables make sure everything is pinned correctly and making good contact.

Unfortunately, I don't see any custom Radical orchestrations on the PinSound Community site to try, so we are stuck with just he OEM one. You might post in Radical owners thread to see if anyone has done one they would share. Would give us a comparative orchestration to test with.

#461 3 years ago

I wish pinsound studio would have a normalize all function.

This would be a literal game changer.

I also wish for VU meters.

You really need to know whats going on during playback.

#462 3 years ago

I'm at 5.03 V.
    12V is a bit low though but nothing that causes issues ingame.

#463 3 years ago
    Quoted from Nihonmasa:

I'm at 5.03 V.
    12V is a bit low though but nothing that causes issues ingame.

Try plugging into a different outlet/breaker

#464 3 years ago

Try plugging into a different outlet/breaker

hmm not really possible I run a club remember, all machines are tightly fit; moving one to another spot is a freaking nightmare
    and anyway they end up on the same main line.

#465 3 years ago
    Quoted from Nihonmasa:

hmm not really possible I run a club remember, all machines are tightly fit; moving one to another spot is a freaking nightmare
    and anyway they end up on the same main line.

Sounds like slightly low current flow or too many pins on a circuit.
    Just as a test, plug the game into another breaker (without games or A/C on it) and use a heavy extension cord.

See if there is any change in its behavior.

If this changes anything, use the kahrs daughter-board fix outlined earlier to feed better 5v to the pinsound.

Its a hack but its a good one. Getting lots of 5v current to the board is really important.

#466 3 years ago

Sounds like slightly low current flow or too many pins on a circuit.
    Just as a test, plug the game into another breaker (without games or A/C on it) and use a heavy extension cord.
    See if there is any change in its behavior.
    If this changes anything, use the kahrs daughter-board fix outlined earlier to feed better 5v to the pinsound.
    Its a hack but its a good one. Getting lots of 5v current to the board is really important.

When I did the tests the Radical was the only powered machine.
    And the lines where made by a professional electrician specifically to distribute power to the machines.

Will try but I would be extremely suprised to see any change.

For the Karr board, have some spares but ain't those for WPC? Where should I plug them on a Sys 11?

#467 3 years ago

I wish pinsound studio would have a normalize all function.
    This would be a literal game changer.
    I also wish for VU meters.
    You really need to know whats going on during playback.

How do you normalize right now?

I can't remember if it was on this thread but you can search .wav files , copy them to a drive. Normalize them all via macro. The tough part is writing everything back but I bet I could write a script for that.

#468 3 years ago
    Quoted from Boat:

I can't remember if it was on this thread but you can search .wav files , copy them to a drive. Normalize them all via macro. The tough part is writing everything back but I bet I could write a script for that.

I used audacity

#469 3 years ago
    Quoted from Boat:

Personally, I manually do it as I'm creating all of my sound files in Audacity. I want the light blue to be between +/- 3.5, and sometimes I do have to crop the peaks, but it is unnoticeable in playback.

I do this using the built in Amplify effect. You just have to experiment with the New Peak Amplitude setting, but you get the hang of it rather quickly.

If you do it as you are making the sounds, then you don't have to go back and "normalize" later.
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#470 3 years ago
    Quoted from Nihonmasa:

When I did the tests the Radical was the only powered machine.
    And the lines where made by a professional electrician specifically to distribute power to the machines.
    Will try but I would be extremely suprised to see any change.
    For the Karr board, have some spares but ain't those for WPC? Where should I plug them on a Sys 11?

Issue solved with the Help of Nicolas from pinsound.
    It was actually extremely simple, the lack of config.ini file stating to use the system11 was the cause.

#471 3 years ago
    Quoted from Nihonmasa:

Issue solved with the Help of Nicolas from pinsound.
    It was actually extremely simple, the lack of config.ini file stating to use the system11 was the cause.

Good detective work!

#472 3 years ago

now having a mix creation question:

All musics in Radical are made with loops of 1'59" duration.

Must I put the exact same length?
    Or is it ok if I have longer musics as they are looping? (no speaking of vfy etc, only the musics)

For some of them it is a mere 3 secs of different start then back to the main theme, but still, the music total length is 1'59"

#473 3 years ago
    Quoted from Nihonmasa:

now having a mix creation question:
    Several musics in Radical are made with loops of 1'59" duration.
    Must I put the exact same length?
    Or is it ok if I have longer musics as they are looping? (no speaking of vfy etc, only the musics)

They don't have to be the same length especially with music, it's more critical with call outs to be around the same the length as not to step over other call outs if it runs longer then the original however there will be a feature in the upcoming pinstudio release to make sure different lengths don't step over each other.

#474 3 years ago

Mix done and working, only needing a few small adjustments.

Many thanks to Mr_Tantrum for this guide and help!

#475 3 years ago

That’s great. When you are finished it would be great if you shred by uploading it to the PinSound community forum site.

#476 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

That’s great. When you are finished it would be great if you shred by uploading it to the PinSound community forum site.

Can't do that sorry, specifically made it for myself, with my musics

#477 3 years ago

Well, you can do it but if you choose not to then that is your decision. No judgements here, just trying to grow the library for new games not done yet. As you can see, I (and others) have just about done everything we can for Getaway with 30 different orchestrations available: http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/category/22-getaway (my orchestrations alone have had about 2,650 downloads). Would love to see other games have custom orchestration options, although nothing else will probably reach Getaway levels.

I've also done several for other pins that people have commissioned me to do, and in those cases since they paid me I always give them the decision to share or not. Some choose to share on the site, some do not, and some choose to share directly for a nominal fee to recoup some of their costs.

#478 3 years ago

Where are the volume settings stored on pinsound?

If i copy a pinsound.config from one orcestration to another (same game) will the volume adjustments go with it?

#479 3 years ago

If i copy a pinsound.config from one orcestration to another (same game) will the volume adjustments go with it?

Outside of individual normalize volume settings to each file done in Audacity, the global settings are in the pinsound.cfg file. That would be the global adjustment to each category group done through Pinstudio. Everything done in Audacity is to the file itself.

#482 3 years ago

I found out that your individual volume adjustments in pin Sound Studio Pro are stored in the config.pinsound file.

So you can indeed move config.pinsound files around from other orchestrations of the same game with the same file folder structure.

However your volume and Shaker adjustments will go with these files in the pinsound.config.

So if you totally screw everything up and want to reset to a blank slate just take the config.pinsound file from an original unedited mix and copy it to your current mix and it will blank everything out just like brand new.

#483 3 years ago

I made a cool boot.wav for my doctor who.

"So doctor we meet again" lol.

It was very loud, so i lowered the gain in audacity to like -24. Its pretty good.

It there a way to have more than one for random startup sounds?

#484 3 years ago

Does anybody know if support for SAM still under development?

#485 3 years ago

Question about Pinsound Studio Plus. In the original version of Pinsound Studio, you could do the conversion of the orchestration within the software and save it to USB, so when you loaded the file into your machine, you did not have to wait the 30 minutes to download the orchestration. Can you do this conversion with Studio Plus? If I don't use a shaker, should I continue to use the old version? Thanks for the advice.

#486 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

Question about Pinsound Studio Plus. In the original version of Pinsound Studio, you could do the conversion of the orchestration within the software and save it to USB, so when you loaded the file into your machine, you did not have to wait the 30 minutes to download the orchestration. Can you do this conversion with Studio Plus? If I don't use a shaker, should I continue to use the old version? Thanks for the advice.

I don’t know, but just do it manually (I always do it this way). All that is occurring is the folder structure with wav files in it is being copied from the hard drive to the USB

#487 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I don’t know, but just do it manually (I always do it this way). All that is occurring is the folder structure with wav files in it is being copied from the hard drive to the USB

Do you mean copy it directly onto the USB from the hard drive? If so, then I have to wait for the Pinsound card to do the conversion which takes a long time. I will just continue to use the old program. Just wondered if the new program has this function. Thanks.

#488 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

Do you mean copy it directly onto the USB from the hard drive? If so, then I have to wait for the Pinsound card to do the conversion which takes a long time. I will just continue to use the old program. Just wondered if the new program has this function. Thanks.

No, he uses a freeware program called freac which does all the converts from .ogg to wave files on his pc with directory structures as well. Then he uses Audacity to normalize sound files individually. Now you can then go into Pinstudio and increase or decrease the gains to any category group as you wish i.e music, voice, jingle etc...

As for the shaker if you have the pinsound motion kit then yes use the new studio to create custom shake routines. If not you still should use the new pinstudio but first and foremost update to the latest firmware for the pinsound board being the conventions have changed in the past few months or so and this is the new direction for the future with them.

#489 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

1 - Always work with WAV files. If you download an orchestration and they are OGG, the first thing I recommend you do is convert them to WAV using FREE:AC and delete all of the OGG (a fairly simple and quick process that I think I've outline here before - or maybe that was in a PM to someone). PinSound ONLY SUPPORTS WAV files. The only reason they are in OGG format to start with is because that format is highly compressed and allows for much smaller file size downloads.

2 - Use PSS+ for whatever you want to use it for, save orchestration and exit program. Personally, the only thing I use it for right now is to create/modify shaker routines. If/when the PSREC option is added back in, then I will use it much more for game simulation and testing my audio cuts.

3 - Using File Explorer, locate the folder where PSS+ saves the orchestration, then drag-and-drop that folder into the AUDIO folder on your USB drive

Done. Now the orchestration is in the correct place on the USB, fully formatted and ready to use on your PinSound with zero conversion required. It maybe took 2-3 minutes to do the original OGG to WAV conversion for the entire orchestration on the computer, then however long it took for your computer to do a file copy from your harddrive to your USB drive.

#490 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

3 - Using File Explorer, locate the folder where PSS+ saves the orchestration, then drag-and-drop that folder into the AUDIO folder on your USB drive
    Done. Now the orchestration is in the correct place on the USB, fully formatted and ready to use on your PinSound with zero conversion required. It maybe took 2-3 minutes to do the original OGG to WAV conversion for the entire orchestration on the computer, then however long it took for your computer to do a file copy from your harddrive to your USB drive.

That's nice to know... I always thought Pinsound HAD to convert it into something other than the WAV files I was putting on there.

#491 3 years ago

Hi, I just installed my Pinsound in Cirqus Voltaire, working great thanks to your thread here. I've read through the whole thing while waiting for my CV to arrive. I can't recall, have you covered how to set the Headphone Station to work? Mine works as far as using it to change sound packages and it plays through connected headphones, but the volume knob does not change the volume, either for the ext. speakers or headphones.

Thanks for your great thread!

UPDATE: HOLD ON, I'M DOING FW UPDATE NOW, MAYBE THAT WILL DO THE TRICK

No fix. Updated firmware but Headphone station knob still not changing the volume.

#492 3 years ago
    Quoted from Globalcop:

Hi, I just installed my Pinsound in Cirqus Voltaire, working great thanks to your thread here. I've read through the whole thing while waiting for my CV to arrive. I can't recall, have you covered how to set the Headphone Station to work? Mine works as far as using it to change sound packages and it plays through connected headphones, but the volume knob does not change the volume, either for the ext. speakers or headphones.
    Thanks for your great thread!
    UPDATE: HOLD ON, I'M DOING FW UPDATE NOW, MAYBE THAT WILL DO THE TRICK
    No fix. Updated firmware but Headphone station knob still not changing the volume.

I’ve never had luck with the remote/headphone control. At best it sort of works a little on the loud end - meaning I can make it loud or really loud - but then when I start to turn it down, it just completely drops to mute. That’s with or without headphones.

#493 3 years ago
    Quoted from zahner:

I’ve never had luck with the remote/headphone control. At best it sort of works a little on the loud end - meaning I can make it loud or really loud - but then when I start to turn it down, it just completely drops to mute. That’s with or without headphones.

I agree.
    Mine works sorta...

I wouldnt say that it does anything but maybe fine tune the existing volume, and change orchestrations with the double tap method.

Its definitely not like the pinnovators controls, they work really well.

#494 3 years ago

Volume knob works. It's just not very responsive

#495 3 years ago
    Quoted from Globalcop:

Volume knob works. It's just not very responsive

yep, mine too.

#496 3 years ago

I just solved the volume problem by putting in PinWoofer amps and speakers and just blast away with my Tommy - never use headphones or worry about turning it down anymore.

#497 3 years ago

For me, I have two PinSound One boards with headphones stations on Getaway and Jurassic Park. My Getaway has always worked perfectly, but my JP only worked after a firmware update. One thing I can think of is to make sure your pin settings are set to allow minimum volume.

#498 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

One thing I can think of is to make sure your pin settings are set to allow minimum volume.

That sounds interesting. I always suspect my issues all are associated with human error. So, I hate to sound full of error (AKA:dumb) but can you explain what you mean by: “make sure your pin settings are set to allow minimum volume.”

#499 3 years ago
    Quoted from zahner:

That sounds interesting. I always suspect my issues all are associated with human error. So, I hate to sound full of error (AKA:dumb) but can you explain what you mean by: “make sure your pin settings are set to allow minimum volume.”

In your game menu settings, there is a feature called “allow or override minimum volume setting” make sure that is set to yes. I can’t recall the exact term but it something like that and by default it’s set to no.

#500 3 years ago
    Quoted from DeathHimself:

In your game menu settings, there is a feature called “allow or override minimum volume setting” make sure that is set to yes. I can’t recall the exact term but it something like that and by default it’s set to no.

Thanks. Now that you mention it, it does sound familiar.

There are 1,388 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 28.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tantrums-guide-to-pinsound/page/10?hl=boat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.