(Topic ID: 132416)

Tankless HVLP system - any good for pinball?

By PhilGreg

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by jwilson
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

Hi,
    my boss just told me about these things: http://www.earlex.ca/hv5500.php
    He says he uses that for painting... do the restoration experts think they'd be good for cabinet painting/playfield clearcoating?

The manual says this "Your Spray Station can be used with a wide variety of paints, stains and coatings such as latex, deck and fence stain, sealers, varnishes, wood
    preservatives, enamels, oil and water-based paints and automotive paints."

Cheers!
    Phil

#2 8 years ago

Yes, it's well suited for pinball work.

#3 8 years ago

It might be OK to paint cabs with Latex paint, but for 2PAC clearcoats, you will probably want a real compressor system.

If you can't get enough clear to spray out at once, you will have an orange peel looking clear.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration/page/5#post-725962

#4 8 years ago

Vid, what about that auto clear in a can? That seems to work fine, and I doubt it's that high pressure.

#5 8 years ago

After trying spraymax and turbine hvlp sprayers, Id say it's worth getting setup with a big compressor and a dedicated spray area with proper safety gear in place. A nice big compressor lets you do so many things.

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Vid, what about that auto clear in a can? That seems to work fine, and I doubt it's that high pressure.

That stuff is formulated to come out of a can.

The pressure, volume and nozzle size has all been engineered to work as a system.

-

Every pinball shop needs an air compressor anyway.

A big, used compressor can always be found for less than $200, and you get the added benefit of being able to use air sanders for the wet sanding stages, air staplers for playfield GI repopulating, air for blowing the sanding dust out of playfield holes, blowing out old cabs......

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

After trying spraymax and turbine hvlp sprayers, Id say it's worth getting setup with a big compressor and a dedicated spray area with proper safety gear in place. A nice big compressor lets you do so many things.

Right, I understand that this is the ideal setup, but I'm trying to see how valid an alternative this is for people with limited space.
    Since you've tried all three, how would you rank them?

#8 8 years ago

Only if you have 220v service in your shop, which I do not alas.

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

A 2hp 80 gallon compressor will have no problem running on a 110v system.

Quit looking for excuses not to buy a used are compressor - every shop needs one.

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

There are compressors that run on lower voltage. BUT... it is rather easy to add 220V if your panel is nearby.

#11 8 years ago

The biggest 110v one I've seen is a 60 gallon. I considered getting a used 80 and using it as a second tank. Hmm.

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from PhilGreg:

Right, I understand that this is the ideal setup, but I'm trying to see how valid an alternative this is for people with limited space.

I used SprayMax clear on all of my HH playfields. Took three cans. Each can seemed to behave differently and I feel lucky it came out as well as it did.

The turbine HVLP I used was blue, not sure of the brand/model. It was better than rattle cans, but then my buddy let me try his compressor setup he uses to spray motorcycle parts. He setup the gun for me and I did a couple coats on some scrap plywood. It went on really nice. Felt like I was in control of the process versus "trying not to mess it up" (if that makes sense). He also had PROPER LIGHTING, which I learned made things much easier.

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from PhilGreg:

I've not tried the Spraymax, but I have a compressorless sprayer. Latex sprays nicely (after much thinning), but 2PAC would not flow out nicely no matter what I tried.

#14 8 years ago

Alright, thanks for the info guys.
    Since those turbine ones don't seem much cheaper than the compressors, sounds like anyone who has the space should go for that.

#15 8 years ago

The truth about motors is that usually the tag on them is usually overrated.

The plug in your garage is on a 20 amp breaker and it's a 120V circuit. Watts = volts x amps, so the biggest motor you can run on that plug is 2400 watts. 2400 watts is 3.2 hp.

Inside a house, the breaker might only be 15 amp, so only 1800 watts or 2.4 hp.

So, why does your 5hp shop vac not instantly blow your breaker? Probably because it's not really 5hp.....you can't cheat physics (or Ohms Law).

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

The biggest 110v one I've seen is a 60 gallon. I considered getting a used 80 and using it as a second tank. Hmm.

Changing a 110 to 220 is just changing the hot leg. It takes like 2 mins at your panel and just change the outlet if you can find a dedicated outlet.

#17 8 years ago

You need to know your wire gauge before you just change your plug and voltage for a giant compressor.

12 gauge wire, on a run of less the 50 feet, 80% capacity is probably rated only around 5hp @220v.

#18 8 years ago

Well, my setup is a 1920's garage that has a single wire running from the house. I have no idea how old that single wire is, so running 220v on it seems like a bad idea. Besides, I'm running a ton of 110v stuff in the garage now on that single circuit.

#19 8 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Well, my setup is a 1920's garage that has a single wire running from the house. I have no idea how old that single wire is, so running 220v on it seems like a bad idea. Besides, I'm running a ton of 110v stuff in the garage now on that single circuit.

So basically you ran one of those orange extension cords across the yard didnt you?

#20 8 years ago

Nope, some time in the past someone paid an actual electrician to run a wire, but I did expand from that single light switch and plug to 8 more plugs around the perimeter!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tankless-hvlp-system-any-good-for-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.