4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 2 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Quench
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CPU_6800_ExternalClockParts.jpg
    CPU_6802_6808_ExternalClockParts.jpg
    #1 4 years ago

I am toying around with some of Hans' single rom adapters on some of these boards.

I have an interesting question...

The hardware should work like this:

6800 -> System 4: YES
    6808 -> System 4: YES (?????????? The golden question!)
    6800 -> System 6: NO WAY
    6808 -> System 6: YES

While I have figured out I cannot downgrade, what about upgrade? A 6800 will not work in place of a 6808 because it lacks a clock circuit in its chip and the external clock circuit was removed actually as an UPGRADE from Williams system 6 boards in expectance of a 6808. Using a 6800 on a board designed for a 6808 (which came with an internal clock signal, new feature at the time) will not give any clock signal as the 6800 lacks the ability to make one, and the external circuit was removed since the new chip did it for them - this would give ZERO clock signals. Using a 6800 on a board with an external clock circuit, or a 6808 on a board without one, properly gives 1 clock signal. But what happens if you use a 6808 on a board designed for a 6800 that also has an external clock signal - meaning there are two clock signals, now one internal, one external?

When pairing CPUs with these boards, MUST I use a 6800 on a System 4, or will a 6808 ignore the external clock circuit and use its own? This is a gray area.

Please note I am not asking to replace a 6808 with a 6800. The external clock circuit was removed after System 4 so this will definitely not work. Read my question carefully. It's an interesting one.

We are overexceeding the amount of clock signals, 0 is no good, 1 is perfect, but 2... what happens?

Thanks!

#2 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinball-museum:

When pairing CPUs with these boards, MUST I use a 6800 on a System 4, or will a 6808 ignore the external clock circuit and use its own? This is a gray area.

The 6808 still requires an external crystal and capacitors or oscillator for the clock circuit which allowed board designers to decide what frequency to clock the CPU - the clock oscillator circuit is not all built into the 6808. The external crystal clock components are connected to pins 38 and 39. External oscillator designs are connected to pin 39 only.

On a 6800, the external clock circuit is connected to pins 3 and 37 and are opposite phase clock signals.

Some of the pins functionality is different between the CPUs.

So you cannot drop a 6808 directly into a 6800 circuit without modification.

CPU_6802_6808_ExternalClockParts.jpgCPU_6802_6808_ExternalClockParts.jpg
    CPU_6800_ExternalClockParts.jpgCPU_6800_ExternalClockParts.jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/talking-shop-6808-as-a-replacement-for-6800-on-williams-system-4?hl=quench and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.