• 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by pmWolf
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

the_totoro_who_lived_by_rezuaq-d5r8tro.png
There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

I talked to John Popadiuk and he showed me pics of the Magic Girl pinball he is making: the playfield, cabinet, backbox art. He was asking for my view on art, color and design, as I draw my own comics and play pinball too. Breathtaking is not the word for it. Goosebumps!! Sorry, not allowed to show you all the pics, I promised. Wish I could buy one!

#2 9 years ago

I just wish he'd hurry up and show it so I know if I need to sell everything I hold dear for an AIW.

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from Pigjes:

Sorry, not allowed to show you all the pics, I promised.

#4 9 years ago

Yeah, yeah. I met Pat Lawler at a truckstop when I stopped to take a dump the other day. He was out of paper in the next stall and asked for a roll. I recognized the voice and made him slide pics of his new JJP machine under the door in exchange for some TP.

I'd show you guys but I made a poo-poo promise to him that I wouldn't.

#5 9 years ago

If only pinball machines were made just out of art.

#6 9 years ago

Big fan of his pins. & I sure hope that he makes those machines Alice in wonderland , Magic girl and the Zombie adventure land one ......but I couldn't help but notice that the web site has practically No info on them ,& most of the links don't work

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

Yeah, yeah. I met Pat Lawler at a truckstop when I stopped to take a dump the other day. He was out of paper in the next stall and asked for a roll. I recognized the voice and made him slide pics of his new JJP machine under the door in exchange for some TP.

Did you ask him who number 2 works for?

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

Yeah, yeah. I met Pat Lawler at a truckstop when I stopped to take a dump the other day.

Are you sure it wasn't Borg?

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

I just hope it's not a shitty design!

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from Pigjes:

Wish I could buy one!

The playfield art? cause you know coils, flippers, rubbers, solenoids, boards, code and everything else is sold seperately.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

Sure mr foot tapper Larry Craig. We know what was going on in there.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

Sure mr foot tapper Larry Craig. We know what was going on in there.

Ha ha. I assure you that the only thing going on was extortion!

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

The playfield art? cause you know coils, flippers, rubbers, solenoids, boards, code and everything else is sold seperately.

Well, I call anything he makes art, including what is on the playfield

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from Pigjes:

Well, I call anything he makes art, including what is on the playfield

but you can't tell us... right?

#15 9 years ago

all the secrecy after all these years...why ?

#16 9 years ago

We won't tell . What's on pinside , stays on pinside .

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from vex:

Because when things are shown early on Pinside, the positivity is generally overwhelming.

#18 9 years ago

I've seen some artwork from Magic Girl too, it looks fantastic. He sure is a great designer, lots of details and innovations. I think it will be worth the wait, and that I can afford one in the future.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

Because when things are shown early on Pinside, the positivity is generally overwhelming.

If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

#20 9 years ago

did they came on pinside when they made the announcement?

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

Yeah, yeah. I met Pat Lawler at a truckstop when I stopped to take a dump the other day.

In these Medieval times without internet, I guess that's the only way to talk to people. Now, how did I get on here to talk to you people then? Oooh, maybe I am a magic girl myself!

Quoted from pmWolf:

Spot on!

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

They ARE staying "out of the kitchen."

It doesn't make it a better place.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

They ARE staying "out of the kitchen."

They aren't making pinball machines?

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

They aren't making pinball machines?

Well, I meant they aren't coming here to give sneak peeks, or talk to folks, or anything. It's too toxic of an environment. Too many people want to go out of their way to find faults...

Heck, we don't even get the cool leaked information anymore, either.

It makes me sad inside.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

Well, I meant they aren't coming here to give sneak peeks, or talk to folks, or anything. It's too toxic of an environment. Too many people want to go out of their way to find faults...
It makes me sad inside.

Yeah, I know what you meant.

But that's not what I meant with my comment about If you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen.

I.e., if you are going to be making a pin as a new boutique company, you should be willing to share some of what you are doing (when it is taking YEARS to do it) and accept the fact that people *will* criticize you, and you *will* be asked tough questions. Name any pinball manufacturer on the planet that this doesn't happen to.

So the kitchen isn't Pinside. It's the pinball manufacturing market. That's the kitchen (market) that Zidware wants to be in.

And I certainly don't consider Pinside to be "toxic".

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Yeah, I know what you meant.
But that's not what I meant with my comment about If you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen.
I.e., if you are going to be making a pin as a new boutique company, you should be willing to share some of what you are doing (when it is taking YEARS to do it) and accept the fact that people *will* criticize you, and you *will* be asked tough questions. Name any pinball manufacturer on the planet that this doesn't happen to.
So the kitchen isn't Pinside. It's the pinball manufacturing market. That's the kitchen (market) that Zidware wants to be in.

Buy one and you can see all the updates you want. Not sure why he is required to publically share on pinside?

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

Buy one and you can see all the updates you want. Not sure why he is required to publically share on pinside?

Who said he was "required" to?

#28 9 years ago

Frankly I think the *smartest* thing that Zidware could do would be post some pictures of the artwork here.

That could actually provide some positive feedback for a change, since there is little question in my mind that his artwork will be great.

#29 9 years ago

Expo

#30 9 years ago

Screw the pictures!

After three years, Zidware should have at least *one* fully working prototype by now!

#31 9 years ago

So Goosebumps is the theme?

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

So Goosebumps is the theme?

ERMAHGERD!

#33 9 years ago

Has there ever been the slightest doubt that Jpop would make a game that *looks* good? We need information on other aspects of this project like game play, dots, sounds, and software in general.

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

How ? Where? none of the links on the site work.... am I missing something? does he have another site besides Zidware?

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

How ? Where? none of the links on the site work.... am I missing something? does he have another site besides Zidware?

There are private blogs for the owners.

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Brutally honest and direly inquisitive.

Agree with Rob. Hardly toxic. We ARE the frontline to pinball greatness or company insolvency; well, that's what WE believe anyways.

#37 9 years ago

I don't consider Pinside toxic either. It is moderated so things can be brought in when out of control. But the manufacturers would rather 100% control of their message which they don't have here, but neither should they have that control here.

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

It makes me sad inside.

Aren't you a mod?

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

There are private blogs for the owners.

so do you mean that all the spots have already been purchased ?

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

so do you mean that all the spots have already been purchased ?

NO! You can buy any one of them. I talked to him twice now on the phone about this. I was jokingly asking if I could get in on all three and he seriously said yes . So I think if you got the coin then you have a spot.

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from TaTa:

NO! You can buy any one of them. I talked to him twice now on the phone about this. I was jokingly asking if I could get in on all three and he seriously said yes . So I think if you got the coin then you have a spot.

Right on! Thanks for the info. I am Def. gonna look into this

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Who said he was "required" to?

That tone was definitely implied in your post. I dont want to play with technicalities since the word wasnt mentioned. Either way, buyers can get real updates and im glad many have respected the nda. Annoying as it ia, definiely his choice. Arent all the magic girls spoken for anyways?

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

Arent all the magic girls spoken for anyways?

How many?

#44 9 years ago

I don't have a problem with JPop not sharing with people who are not in. It's a boutique company and people are paying a premium for that exclusivity. What I do find silly is a post in the All Pinball Category that essentially says, "Man you guys should see all this cool stuff, too bad you can't".

I don't see the purpose of it.

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

What I do find silly is a post in the All Pinball Category that essentially says, "Man you guys should see all this cool stuff, too bad you can't".
I don't see the purpose of it.

Excuse me for being enthused about something. I guess being excited should not be shared on the internet.

#46 9 years ago

You really got to share more if you want enthusiasm

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

It makes me sad inside.

Yep, I've noticed folks tend to be quick to grab their pitchforks.

Personally, I'd be a little wary of posting product details too if it was a 50-50 shot between being smothered in praise or chased around the block with torches and pitchforks.

#48 9 years ago

I think that Magic Girl is a piece of ass... Got to get me some of that if you know what I mean...

#49 9 years ago

I believe there are less than 20. Maybe the number was 16 of them or something like that?

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

That tone was definitely implied in your post. I dont want to play with technicalities since the word wasnt mentioned. Either way, buyers can get real updates and im glad many have respected the nda. Annoying as it ia, definiely his choice. Arent all the magic girls spoken for anyways?

The reason he has that tone is because of a thread like this. This thread has the distinction of:

a) teasing (but not providing) the very updates you and RobT are debating
b) being useless

Posting "I saw ____ pinball machine and it's awesome but that's all I will say" does nothing to help people's patience, nor does it foster rumor debate or concept ideas. We all know every pre-release pinball machine from every manufacturer is the best machine ever, and no one is interested in JPOP/SkitB/DP/JJP/Stern/ etc... info if it's presented like this.

Either post something of substance (even rumors can have substance) or keep it all to yourself until the end. Either way, as RobT indicated, the heat will get cranked up ion the kitchen; it's just a matter of when.

There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/talked-to-a-pinball-designer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.