(Topic ID: 227779)

Talk to me about Ramps.....What do you use?

By OLDPINGUY

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by OLDPINGUY
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

magnum ramps (resized).jpg
    DSCF2744 (resized).JPG
    DSCF2743 (resized).JPG
    rough ramp (resized).jpg
    #1 5 years ago

For me, I have a coffin Mover and a 5" Sill in height at my front door.
    In the past 30 years, we have lifted the mover by hand up over the sill.
    This hasnt always worked well, with Chips in the concrete and metal door sill, and dings in the
    hallway floor.
    Well, since this is being rebuilt, I need a ramp, and some floor covering.
    I am "inclined" to make it out of wood, and attach a roll out rubber membrane to cover the floor.

Is there a better way? Something made already? Or what do you do?

Appreciate the input!

#2 5 years ago

I also chipped the concrete step in front of my doorway. I was using a dolly with large tires and the lip on the bottom chipped the concrete. I placed two pieces of two by four on top of each other in front of the step and no more damage. The tires are large and going up steps the game bounces around, so I bought the below appliance dolly. The belt on the back rolls over the step and the sill of the door preventing damage. The straps hold it securely. Tighten the straps and turn the lever to lock it in. Costs about $120.

You can also find an appliance dolly with kick out legs. Arcade collectors really like it because when you lean the dolly backwards the legs kick out and you can rest the game at a 45 degree angle. They are a lot more expensive though.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Harper-800-lbs-Capacity-Appliance-Hand-Truck-6781/202259411

#3 5 years ago

If it's getting rebuilt, just have a rampway installed to the door.

Make sure the rise/run is ADA compliant and if you ever sell the house, it will be a good selling feature.

Although the USA life expectancy has dropped for the 2nd year in a row, people are sicker than ever, so having one of your entrances a ramp = good idea.

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Make sure the rise/run is ADA compliant and if you ever sell the house, it will be a good selling feature.
    Although the USA life expectancy has dropped for the 2nd year in a row, people are sicker than ever, so having one of your entrances a ramp = good idea.

Great for getting yourself inside in the final years and even quicker to get you out once you are gone.

#5 5 years ago

Interesting Art. I would think a wood ramp built to get over your stoop tapered on both sides would work. Very rough paint drawing attached. On a similar note, I picked up a Craftsman ATV lifter today and am trying to figure out the best way to mod it for my needs.

rough ramp (resized).jpgrough ramp (resized).jpg
    #6 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Putting me out to pasture, huh?! Im ready, Vid! Thanks!

My apologies for my lack of clarity....I have the inside being redone from last years Hurricane....
    Are there adjustable ramps or Auto ramps others use?

Quoted from hawknole:

nteresting Art. I would think a wood ramp built to get over your stoop tapered on both sides would work. Very rough paint drawing attached.

Yes, much like this...pics.
    DSCF2743 (resized).JPGDSCF2743 (resized).JPGDSCF2744 (resized).JPGDSCF2744 (resized).JPG

#7 5 years ago

I have a system that works very well for me. I pick up machines in an SUV, I always put down cardboard so the game slides easy. I have 3 steps at my front door, and each platform is about 4 feet long.

I have the Harbor Freight hydrophilic cart using the adjustable flag pole holders for the handle, so I can tilt the handles down. I also have a beat up living room coffee book table.

I back my SUV as close as I can get it to the stairs. Raise the Hydraulic cart to the proper height, and slide the game on the card board onto the lift. This is my first step. The coffee table is on the second step. I put a moving blanket on the coffee table. Set the lift to the coffee table height, and slide the machine on the coffee table.

I then take the Harbor Freight lift inside and set it about 1/2" lower then the coffee table and lock the wheels. I go outside and push the machine onto the Harbor Freight lift. Go back inside, raise the lift, install the legs and roll to position.

I don't have to pick up anything. The system is a real back saver.

#8 5 years ago

OK Art, while I was working in the garage tonight trying to figure out my latest project, I pulled out my car ramps and pulled them apart at just the ramp part, (there is another whole part where the tires sit once the car is elevated). I did not measure my stoop or car ramps but your stoop and mine look similar. So maybe these car ramps and some wood could fit the need. Possibly plywood instead of just that 2x4 but I think you get the point. These ramps are called Magnum ramps and they are made in the good old USA.

magnum ramps (resized).jpgmagnum ramps (resized).jpg
    #9 5 years ago

Thanks, Dave......Ah Yes, Car Ramps....Anyone using this with A Coffin/Pin Dolly?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/talk-to-me-about-rampswhat-do-you-use and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.