Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Axl
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

It's the only B/W DMD I haven't played. Doesn't seem popular, and the gameplay seems a bit shit, but my instincts have deceived me before. Those of you who have some time on it, or have literally played it - what do you think? Is it basically any System 11 with a DMD thrown in? It is secretly a masterpiece? They're not rare, but they don't come up here often; what does it actually sell for?

#2 8 years ago

"Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale"

Sorry had too

Great game IMO

#3 8 years ago

Great show thats about it imo but you may like the pin . Definitely not one id go after unless it was really cheap and in great condition even then id give it to my dad for his first pin. To me its just not fun , it has a neat toy but thats about it

#4 8 years ago

I think it's a great game. Pretty linear to start, but multiball is where it shines. The rotating playfield is a great toy. Of course, my assessment comes from when it was new in '91. Don't see the game much anymore so I haven't put much time on it in recent years.

#5 8 years ago

Its the only game Iv ever beaten Zach Sharpe on.

#6 8 years ago

Love the theme and the rotating ramp is one of my favorite toys in pinball. Unfortunately that single ramp is where ALL the points are so there's literally only one shot in the whole game worth shooting (to be fair, you do have to collect the seltzer ingredients via other shots before you endlessly shoot the ramp). And if I remember correctly, the single 2 ball multiball is only achievable as a random award so that's just lazy. I loved it for a week so there is some short term fun there, but all in all it's the worst game I've owned.

#7 8 years ago

Wow, see, been too long....I didn't remember all that. I didn't know multiball was random, I thought collecting all the ingredients was how you got multiball.

#8 8 years ago

It's not linear at all, as the ingredients can be collected in any order. Yeah, the random multiball award is a bummer, and the game could use some new code (multiball when trying to deliver the drink to Kona would be huge). But that being said, I really do like the game, and it has become by far the most favorite game among my non pinhead friends and family. My oldest nephew (who is 8 ) really likes it because the rules are easy to understand.

Plastics are hard to come by it seems, and cab art has never been commercially available

#9 8 years ago

Highly underrated imo. Had a blast playing it at the last SFGE in ATL.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Wow, see, been too long....I didn't remember all that. I didn't know multiball was random, I thought collecting all the ingredients was how you got multiball.

The ingredients open up the 50 million ramp shot, which you can shoot repeatedly until time runs out. The game is otherwise fairly low scoring though so it's literally pointless to do anything else. And yeah, the only way to get multiball is by way of a random mystery award. There is some fun there and I guess that's the frustrating part, as it's seriously the laziest coding/ruleset that I've ever played...it could have been a decent game.

#11 8 years ago

I liked the game but hated random mystery multiball ...I feel it should be something you work for to achieve

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from jitneystand1:

The ingredients open up the 50 million ramp shot, which you can shoot repeatedly until time runs out. The game is otherwise fairly low scoring though so it's literally pointless to do anything else. And yeah, the only way to get multiball is by way of a random mystery award. There is some fun there and I guess that's the frustrating part, as it's seriously the laziest coding/ruleset that I've ever played...it could have been a decent game.

This pretty much sums it up. It's fun to play a few games on route, but the ruleset is awful. The random award multiball is pointless, the scoring is insanely unbalanced and my personal favorite is the HUGE Lava Seltzer scoop that does absolutely nothing the entire game except start the wizard mode. It has extremely shallow rules too. With some favorable bounces and the right skill shot, you could get to the wizard mode in under 10 flips.

#13 8 years ago

Who needs multiball? not me. So simple, so fun, so much love for my little buddy!
It will never leave my collection FULL STOP.
When set up properly it is fast and a flowing beat.
Island is the best toy of any pinball and should have been implemented in more pins.

#14 8 years ago

I owned one years ago. Unless you are a fanatic of the show, don't buy it. Fun for a short time, but gets old really quickly. I recently played a nice freshly shopped one a few weeks ago. Got the jackpot in 2 games. Play a friends or enjoy at a show, but buy something else.

#15 8 years ago

John Dayhuff has a really nice one in his collection, and I probably play it more than any other game he's got each time he has a 24 Hours of Pinball Party, as I see it no place else (it's not even in the VFW Pinball Museum's collection), so this is one of the only games not available for me to play on a regular basis. I get so close to beating Kona every time I play it, but the timed Lava Seltzer mode always times out on me before I can make all the repeated ramp shots, which drives me nuts - LOL, and I have to play it again.

I like playing the game at Dayhuff's for sure. It would probably get stale if you had it in a small to mid size collection, but in a large collection for the price, why not?

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Yeah, the random multiball award is a bummer, and the game could use some new code (multiball when trying to deliver the drink to Kona would be huge).

I think the reason this was not done is because the potential to jam the island mech with multiball is higher. The game rotates it with every shot during the Kona mode, and a second ball shot at the right time while it is rotating would jam it up. From what I've seen, the mech is problematic enough as it is.

#17 8 years ago

$1500 is the normal range for it. prob the cheapest B/W dmd there is.

#18 8 years ago

So am I correct in thinking, based on watching a couple videos, that getting the Seltzer shots for 50 million basically render every other scoring opportunity pointless? Seems like it's not quite as unbalanced as Bride of Pinbot, but up there with, say, Bad Cats (with the 20 million shot)

#19 8 years ago

Get rid of the mystery award and the saucer at the top that gives you items, and force you to shoot around the playfield to collect the items. Do that and the game would be much better. Getting to the volcano would have the same intensity as getting a jackpot in Taxi or Do or Die in Iron Man.

#20 8 years ago

it's a light game. upfront rules. Great toy. It's not bad at all.

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from neurokinetik:

I think the reason this was not done is because the potential to jam the island mech with multiball is higher. The game rotates it with every shot during the Kona mode, and a second ball shot at the right time while it is rotating would jam it up. From what I've seen, the mech is problematic enough as it is.

Simple solution: ramp raises up while the path lines up, then lowers. Have one of the left or right loops be required to shoot while it is doing so, depending on where the last ramp shot lead the ball to.

1 week later
#22 8 years ago

Its a really fun drinking game, and the kids love it.
Have a shot whenever someone starts Kona...

Axl

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/talk-to-me-about-gilligans-island and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.