Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by TheLaw
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

horse (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

I started into pinball about 2 months ago. I started by buying a Shaq Attaq machine and pretty much immediately wanted to add a second game. Stranger Things was announced and I threw the Shaq Attaq machine on Facebook marketplace to see if something would stick, since at the time I did not think I would have the funds to add stranger things to it. Well... I now own both and someone messaged me about looking at my Shaq. I told the gentleman that I am not looking to get anything lower than the price I listed and he seemed okay with that. As it stands I would make about $400 bucks on the deal.

Here's the caveat....I just got up to two games and not certain I want to be down to a single game. What are your thoughts? I'm torn on what to do...

-=Smith=-

#2 4 years ago

Well there are plenty of other games out there. If you are done with Shaq and can sell for a price you’re happy with sell it and get another game.

#3 4 years ago

I started and lived with one game for nearly 3 years until I saved up enough for my second, and my third shortly thereafter (all I have room for . . . well, that's what my wife tells me).

During the time when I only had one, I really learned about pinball in a multitude of ways. I taught myself how to maintain it, how to perform electrical repairs, and I took the time to really learn how to play the game (Getaway). I also credit only having one game to my getting into and designing custom decals and mods. If I had several early on, I would have probably been too busy playing and upcoming them all instead of taking time to design mods for them all. It was very disappointing when things were wrong and I couldn't play for several days because I was waiting on a part I had ordered.

If you really like Shaq, then I would keep it for a period of time. If you are neutral about it, then I would make the extra $400 and make it your goal to find another title you would like and make it happen.

#4 4 years ago

You do what your gut tells you. Shaq isn't known for being the best game around. Despite that, I like it. I probably wouldn't own it though, but I enjoy a game or two on it when I find it on location.

If I were in your shoes, I'd probably look to sell shaq, make a tidy profit, and start looking for other games that scratch your itch a little better than what shaq is doing for you.

Quality over quantity is important with things like this.

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from FlawlessJS:

I started into pinball about 2 months ago. I started by buying a Shaq Attaq machine and pretty much immediately wanted to add a second game. Stranger Things was announced and I threw the Shaq Attaq machine on Facebook marketplace to see if something would stick, since at the time I did not think I would have the funds to add stranger things to it. Well... I now own both and someone messaged me about looking at my Shaq. I told the gentleman that I am not looking to get anything lower than the price I listed and he seemed okay with that. As it stands I would make about $400 bucks on the deal.
    Here's the caveat....I just got up to two games and not certain I want to be down to a single game. What are your thoughts? I'm torn on what to do...
    -=Smith=-

If you are going to come out $400 ahead on the deal......adios SHAQ and find yourself another game.

#6 4 years ago

Do whatever you can to get rid of Shaq Attack.

#7 4 years ago

i'd get rid of shaq. There are no shortage of games out there, and most of them are better than shaq.

#8 4 years ago

Sell the Shaq and maybe get another pin around similar value.

#9 4 years ago

Don't lick a gift horse in the mouth...be glad someone actually wants Shaq!

#10 4 years ago

Part of the hobby (for me and plenty of others) is chasing the next game. I'd move on from Shaq and get something different in its place.

Then start planning for game#3.

#11 4 years ago

Shaq may be fun, but it is hard to sell. Get rid of it while you have a buyer!

#12 4 years ago

Poor guy. Can’t wait for the follow up post on this.

“We had a deal on a Shaq attack and he flakes!! Are all pinball buyers this dishonest?!”

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Don't lick a gift horse in the mouth...be glad someone actually wants Shaq!

I don't think you are ever suppose to lick a gift horse regardless.

#14 4 years ago

If you are in the hobby long enough, you will soon understand the phrase "curating a collection".
    Anyone can buy or sell games, but no matter how much you think you want a game, or don't want a game, your tastes will change.
    I drove 10 hours to buy a WOZ and 10 more to buy a TNA. Thought I would love them. Nope.

Ditch Shaq and buy something else in the price range. Or save a few months and move up to something nicer.
    If you miss Shaq, trust me, there will always be someone willing to get rid of one.
    Buy and sell games until you find the ones that you love and bolt them to the floor.

#15 4 years ago

If money isn't the reason to sell I say keep it for a while, if the current price creep holds steady Shaq will be a 4k game soon....

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Poor guy. Can’t wait for the follow up post on this.
    “We had a deal on a Shaq attack and he flakes!! Are all pinball buyers this dishonest?!”

No, but he sure came to his senses!

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I don't think you are ever suppose to lick a gift horse regardless.

The horse just wanted to thank you

horse (resized).jpghorse (resized).jpg
    #18 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I started and lived with one game for nearly 3 years until I saved up enough for my second, and my third shortly thereafter (all I have room for . . . well, that's what my wife tells me).
    During the time when I only had one, I really learned about pinball in a multitude of ways. I taught myself how to maintain it, how to perform electrical repairs, and I took the time to really learn how to play the game (Getaway). I also credit only having one game to my getting into and designing custom decals and mods. If I had several early on, I would have probably been too busy playing and upcoming them all instead of taking time to design mods for them all. It was very disappointing when things were wrong and I couldn't play for several days because I was waiting on a part I had ordered.
    If you really like Shaq, then I would keep it for a period of time. If you are neutral about it, then I would make the extra $400 and make it your goal to find another title you would like and make it happen.

I agree with this advice and would sell the Shaq. You'll have a brand shiny new Stranger Things and I personally wouldn't want it sitting next to some crappy old game.

#19 4 years ago

All this hate for Shaq.....great game.
    But I thank all of you pinball snobs for allowing me to get one fairly cheap.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from guard:

But I thank all of you pinball snobs for allowing me to get one fairly cheap.

You're welcome.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/talk-some-sense-into-me?hl=guard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.