• 49 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Frax
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6a00d83452030269e201a73e0254c6970d-150wi (resized).png

There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 3 years ago

Have a chance to pick up a DR. Who. Ive Only played it for a while but never own it..

#2 3 years ago

Get it. More pinball!

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Get it. More pinball!

can't argue with that....

#4 3 years ago

Great game, especially when dialed in properly.
An intense Dalek battle is one of my favorite multi balls.
Also the best video mode of any pin of that era IMO.
Not a ton of ramps and shot, but doesn’t need it as the game play is great.
Learning how each doctor works and what they do is key.

#5 3 years ago

Great game, simple, but one of, if not the coolest mech ever made!!!

#6 3 years ago

I really want to find me one of these. Ideally a project game I can work on.
But sadly I'm out of room.

#7 3 years ago

Get it, master the loops and crush your opponents on it during league

#8 3 years ago

My least favorite WPC. The sound is horrid. I can’t play it for that reason.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from SilverballSleuth:

My least favorite WPC. The sound is horrid. I can’t play it for that reason.

You know there are a couple different pinsound versions of this.
One is music from the more modern series, one is a rock and roll version and there’s even a disco version.
If the sound bugs you, all you have to do is change it.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from Metzu:

Have a chance to pick up a DR. Who. Ive Only played it for a while but never own it..

Get it, restore it, enjoy it for years.

A lot of the games are so beat up that they are no fun.

Full high end restores make this game incredible.

Mine is never leaving.

It simple yet challenging. I never get tired of it. Same with my AFMr.

I added pinsound and the pinsound shaker.

I hope to have an advanced mix for pinsound up on the community site with shakers in it very soon.
Thanks to Rdoyle1978 for getting me a working original sound card to draw from.

Shakers bring this game to a whole new level!

Having 4 different mixes to choose from is really a lot of fun.

Doctorin the tardis cracks me up, tons of fun.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Get it, restore it, enjoy it for years.
Mine is never leaving.
It simple yet challenging. I never get tired of it. Same with my AFMr.
I added pinsound and the pinsound shaker.
I hope to have an advanced mix for pinsound up on the xommunity site with shakers in it very soon.
Having 4 different mixes to choose from is really a lot of fun.
Doctorin the tardis cracks me up, tons of fun.

Doctorin the tardis? can you elaborate..

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from Metzu:

Doctorin the tardis? can you elaborate..

theres a youtube video on it, lol!

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

theres a youtube video on it, lol!

thxs watching it now!

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Get it, master the loops and crush your opponents on it during league

Repeatedly making that loop shot is gratifying as hell.

#15 3 years ago

Also it’s Doctor Who never Dr Who just saying lol

#16 3 years ago

Love it....played mine today! Amazing main toy, and just fun as hell with lots of satisfying combos & nuance. The music is amazing, anyone ragging on the sound must just not like the Dalek voices. They’re annoying, but it’s part of the theme. Hearing them scream when you get a jackpot is awesome.

#17 3 years ago

I’ve been renting a dr who for the past two months during the pandemic, so I’ve just gotten to learn it. It was never my favourite game to drop loonies into (google it if you’re not Canadian ) but it has grown on me in two months. As stated before, the time expander is a great mech, and I find the multi ball very satisfying. I’m looking forward to playing it in tournaments now, whereas before I tried to avoid it.

I still have not defeated Davros, despite countless battles. One of these days...

Not sure if this helps. For me, I don’t think I would own it unless I had a much bigger collection. I currently have a Dirty Harry right next to it and I would keep that over dr who.

#18 3 years ago

I owned one, sold it, and regretted it... I miss my Doctor Who. Video mode is indeed very good and choosing your Doctor is fun.

If there is something to say against this game, it would be unbalanced scoring - sonic boom (or blast ? can't remember) is an efficient and relatively safe way to score a lot of points, especially during tourneys.

#19 3 years ago

I sold mine and have no regrets. The Time Expander is pretty cool, and some great combo shots...but I found that I was constantly going for the loop ramp. Repeating the loop ramp increases your playfield multiplier. It is timed so you need to keep hitting it for big scores. Soon you will find no matter what strategy or Doctor you choose it still comes back to the multiplier/loop shot. I am probably the minority, but it didn’t last a year at my house.

#20 3 years ago

Early Dr. Who show guy, tried to like it but... I'll have to give it a try again at another show.

#21 3 years ago

Sonic Boom , enough said.

#22 3 years ago

The Time Expander is reason enough not to get one. I've torn down and rebuilt many of them and it is by far my least favourite mech to work on. Poorly designed and requires a lot of bulletproofing.

Most people who love the game have never had to take one apart.

#23 3 years ago

I really like the game and the posters here are correct, there are definitely some annoying sounds, but as other have mentioned the main issues is the Time Expander. Unless your Time expander is 100%, you will spend a lot of time trying to get that mechanism adjusted correctly. That being said, if you have never owned it, I would definitely get it. There is so much to love about the game. Music, third flipper shot and Time Expander.

#24 3 years ago

Buy it... Its a FANTASTIC game.

#25 3 years ago

Excellent value game! Great shots, the Sonic booms when hooked up to an external sub are outstanding. One of the first non linear games. you can select your Doctor at the beginning. I do find selecting the right Doctors at the right time helps the overall point value. The "talking" Dalek head topper is pretty cool (add a LED light flasher up there to really bring out the show). A moving head would be even better!!!

Hard to find in excellent condition (playfield and non faded cabinet)

Game demands a color DMD.

I was not as happy with the pin sound on this game. The music is much better but I found the call outs drowned out. I needed up going back to original sound board as I favored the callouts over the enhanced music.

it is a staple in my game room. I can not see it leaving.

#26 3 years ago

It’s the one WPC game which may never leave my collection. It’s funny how opinions vary. I think the sounds are great and the time expander is one of the best interactive mechanisms I’ve ever seen in pinball. It’s a complex mech but if you rebuild it properly, don’t use grease which will harden and replace the rollers it should work great for a very long time.

#27 3 years ago

DW can be a maintenance nightmare and polarizing but I do miss mine.

It is a blast to play. Annoying sound, yes, but that is when you are doing well at it.

Just don't overpay and then you can give it a fair chance.

#28 3 years ago

Loved the gameplay, couldn't stand the audio, it lasted less than a year. We used to play it with the sound off. This was before Pinsound, etc. I bid on it on ebay to see what it would sell for, opened up ebay one day and nobody else bid on it again, i got it for about $900. Those were great days....

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

Game demands a color DMD.

+1. Blairally added a new color DMD and it is way better looking than the standard.

#30 3 years ago

Never wanted one due to the sound. Can't stand the dalek voices, and screams.

#31 3 years ago

Enjoy the game play but the sounds were a deal breaker for me.

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from gecko157:

Also it’s Doctor Who never Dr Who just saying lol

I've seen worse. Saw somebody write "Dr. Who, M.D." on a tournament sheet once.

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from arolden:

Most people who love the game have never had to take one apart

I’ve taken it apart multiple times. Still love it. The complexity of fixing a part doesn’t take away from a game itself being great. If anything it makes me appreciate it more. What a brilliantly designed mech. You’d never see that in a modern game.

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I’ve taken it apart multiple times. Still love it. The complexity of fixing a part doesn’t take away from a game itself being great. If anything it makes me appreciate it more. What a brilliantly designed mech. You’d never see that in a modern game.

I agree, once you figure it out its not that bad at all.

#35 3 years ago

Buy it.

Rebuild your mini playfield right away if everything is original. It will minimize frustrations in the long run.

#36 3 years ago

It's easily in my top 5 favorite pins of the 90s and one of the best theme-integrated pins from that era as well. Gameplay might feel narrow to some but the shots are always interesting to me and that ramp/3rd flipper/ramp combo never gets old. There are also different strategies to playing it, unless you're too focused on just one method, but then complain about having to repeat the same shot? Well, not sure what to tell ya. The game is a blast. Not everything needs to have modes for it to be fun.

Great multiball combined with the Time Expander is always a rush. Video mode is simple but gets challenging in later waves. Fun sounds and callouts. People gripe on the sounds but I think they're awesome. The quality doesnt bother me. Too busy playing pinball to care! I actually like the 'distorted' effect it has, especially the screams during multiball. Just sounds like chaos and I dig that. Pin sound is a must. Metal and disco are both great. (They sampled "stayin' alive" after video mode completion and it's just rad.)

Oursler basically took PinBot and gave it steroids.

#38 3 years ago

Don’t buy it. Wait for a Bad Cats

#39 3 years ago
Quoted from ryan1234:

I sold mine and have no regrets. The Time Expander is pretty cool, and some great combo shots...but I found that I was constantly going for the loop ramp. Repeating the loop ramp increases your playfield multiplier. It is timed so you need to keep hitting it for big scores. Soon you will find no matter what strategy or Doctor you choose it still comes back to the multiplier/loop shot. I am probably the minority, but it didn’t last a year at my house.

Nope, didn't last a year in mine either. And I hadn't even gotten to the point where I was using the loop exclusively for points. The game can just be brutally unfair with the outlanes, and honestly....it's just not that good. There's not much to actually DO, and no standard "modes" or progression towards a wizard mode. Ramps, multiball, ramps, multiball, ramps....occasional boring "jump over stuff" video mode (Best video mode of the era? I think not. Even Johnny Mnemonic is better...it looks simple as all getout but at least it's something more than "here, play some DDR for a sec")...that's pretty much it.

#40 3 years ago

Weighting issues Sonic Booms point wise, and a lot of people don;t like the sound, and the videa modes are dreadful.
But if you you're not reaching for it give it a shot.

#41 3 years ago

Get it. I love everything about that game

#42 3 years ago

The upper playfield is easy to remove and reinstall. Just follow instructions in manual

#43 3 years ago

Dr Who is my first pin and I doubt I will ever sell it. I've been a huge fan of the show for, well , a long time let's just leave it at that. The poor sound is greatly improved by a pinsound plus and sub. If the machine is in decent shape and the time expander is working you should buy it. There is also a lot of good support advice to be had on this site so you will have plenty of resources.

#44 3 years ago

We have a place called Bar-Cade here in KC and they have one. I played it for about an hour one boozy outing and have to say it was super super cool. I actually just looked into buying one a few days because of the experience haha! If you love Doctor Who then why not!?

#45 3 years ago

I ADORE Doctor Who. I could have it as my only pin, to be honest. Games are quick, yet satisfying. There is a little bit of depth strategy with picking the doctors, bit the thing with this game is that loop. Keeping up your playfield multipliers is the name of the game, and it is all done via hitting the super fun side ramp. My favorite three shots in a row in all of pinball is spelling WHO. Grossly under rated pin.

#46 3 years ago
Quoted from UFO:

I know nothing of the show and like the sound. Everyone likes what they like.

#47 3 years ago

The audio is definitely one of the worst of the WPC games. They didn’t have much time to record audio, it’s poorly converted, there is literally ONE song in the whole game. It gets annoying quite fast

But there are a LOT of amazing shots on this game - the loop! Sonic boom!! The time expander is absolutely the most unique. Coolest mech in any game. Maybe POTC with the black pearl. But this mini playfield goes up, down, multiple shots! Even the video mode is cool! (Put it on hard and the jumps become random) The scoring is unbalanced yes but you’d be hard pressed to find a more unique but still fun game.

For ultimate Superiority: buy a PinSound and use one of my custom mixes, put video mode on hard, maybe replace the translite, and add some cool mods. Done

#48 3 years ago

I think being a fan of the show helps - it seems like theme matters for many folks when it comes to the perception on this machine.. For me, this is a "forever" pin (if there really is such a thing), partly due to the theme, but the gameplay is enjoyable as well.

Despite what some others have said about the sound, I think it's great.

If you're a fan of a show and the pin you're considering is a good value, it's a no-brainer purchase in my book.

#49 3 years ago

7000+ games built and sold.

All of the routed games are beat to crap due to serious and continous game play.

Great money maker on route.

Prople love this game!

You really cant go wrong with it.

#50 3 years ago
Quoted from UFO:

But that's what makes the Daleks great.

6a00d83452030269e201a73e0254c6970d-150wi (resized).png6a00d83452030269e201a73e0254c6970d-150wi (resized).png
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/talk-me-in-or-out-of-owning-dr-who?hl=leonspinkx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.