• 49 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Frax
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6a00d83452030269e201a73e0254c6970d-150wi (resized).png
There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 3 years ago
Quoted from emsrph:

DW can be a maintenance nightmare and polarizing but I do miss mine.
It is a blast to play. Annoying sound, yes, but that is when you are doing well at it.
Just don't overpay and then you can give it a fair chance.

thxs!
how much will be overpaying it? its 2300 ok

#52 3 years ago
Quoted from opt_prime:

I think being a fan of the show helps - it seems like theme matters for many folks when it comes to the perception on this machine.

Not me. Never seen a single episode. Love the pin to death.

#53 3 years ago
Quoted from Metzu:

thxs!

2300 would be cheap as hell. I'd snatch one up regardless of condition for that now a days. And I don't find the maintenance on this hard at all. It has one thing that is tricky: the time expander. But honestly you can take that out and apart pretty damn easily.

#54 3 years ago
Quoted from Metzu:

thxs!

What part of the country are in ?

#55 3 years ago
Quoted from Metzu:

thxs!

That's a steal unless it has major issues.

#56 3 years ago
Quoted from Metzu:

thxs!

Get it, right now. That’s a -great- deal assuming it’s generally working. The owners thread has a lot of info, including Faz’s miniplayfield guide

#57 3 years ago
Quoted from Metzu:

thxs!

If you don't buy it i will.
$2300 is a steal

#58 3 years ago
Quoted from Metzu:

thxs!

A working Dr. Who listed for that price in this market would sell in a heartbeat.

#59 3 years ago

I tend to keep games a LONG time.

I really wanted a Dr. Who. I got one... and it holds the record of being the fasted game I ever got rid of.

Now, I suggest you get whatever game you want and ignore what other people think! But in my case, it turned out just to be annoying.

... Altan

#60 3 years ago
Quoted from altan:

I tend to keep games a LONG time.
I really wanted a Dr. Who. I got one... and it holds the record of being the fasted game I ever got rid of.
Now, I suggest you get whatever game you want and ignore what other people think! But in my case, it turned out just to be annoying.
... Altan

i truly appreciate your comments.

#61 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The audio is definitely one of the worst of the WPC games. They didn’t have much time to record audio, it’s poorly converted, there is literally ONE song in the whole game.

Yeah you can't have a multiball on this game without letting the rest of the house know. Maybe your neighbors too if you keep the volume turned up like I did.

#63 3 years ago

I was taking for some inputs for this machine and then watched a vid here (in the game splash section). The guy was scoring millions and millions up to billions with only 3 shoots. Seems boring to death. Not sure if this video made justice to the game or if it was depending on the doctor choice.

#64 3 years ago

I think it's a great game. You can chose different paths. It shouldn't be set too easy: I don't like getting a new doctor permanently lit for free each new ball, but you can disable that in settings. Multiball and jackpots are great.
Personally, I don't mind the sounds at all.

#65 3 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

I was taking for some inputs for this machine and then watched a vid here (in the game splash section). The guy was scoring millions and millions up to billions with only 3 shoots. Seems boring to death. Not sure if this video made justice to the game or if it was depending on the doctor choice.

Yep. Fun as hell. Play it before you knock it.

#66 3 years ago

I really don't like it, and I like most pinball games. This one is a sure pass (for me).

#67 3 years ago

The scoring is unbalanced, so it’s not ideal for tournament play. You can drive up the score immensely by hitting the WHO shots, but the loop is fun as hell, the mini playfield is Crazy fun. the shots aren’t easy, and there’s a lot to do. Not as deep as a modern game but it plays fast and you can have several quick games and still have fun. Definitely has the “one more game” thing

#68 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Yep. Fun as hell. Play it before you knock it.

Sure.

Just said that some vids could be negative to promote a game.

#69 3 years ago
Quoted from captainadam_21:

But that's what makes the Daleks great. [quoted image]

And the fact they used actual toliet plungers on them in the series.

#70 3 years ago

Sure.
Just said that some vids could be negative to promote a game.

I get what you are saying. There are videos that will expose methods to make the gameplay appear narrow or limited. A big example of that is arcade gameplay videos where somebody exposes a pattern to 'point press' and make the game look meaningless.

Same can happen in pinball. However i'm no expert player. So it's not like I'm just standing there hitting that shot over and over with perfect skill that others possess. But, when I do get in some kind of groove and I'm repeating that shot over and over, it's just hypnotizing. There is nothing boring about this game at all. And if I miss my rhythm, I'll take advantage of other shots and enjoy what all this game has to offer. I love the Time Expander shots during multiball.

#71 3 years ago

Awesome game, wish they made more!! $2300 is a great price!!

#72 3 years ago

Repro playfields would be great to..

#73 3 years ago

DW was my only pin for a while. I preferred it over Williams IJ.

#74 3 years ago
Quoted from Clnilsen:

DW was my only pin for a while. I preferred it over Williams IJ.

WOW. I get that though,Indy can be tough

#75 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

WOW. I get that though,Indy can be tough

I didn't like the tight playfield of IJ. Felt like I was playing pinball on a 1/4 sized playfield. DW wins on theme for me too.

#76 3 years ago

I bought a dr who a bunch of years ago for 900 and sold it a few years later for 1200. I really missed the game so I bought another last year for around 3000. 2300 sounds cheap to me, but maybe the game needs work? Or maybe it is an exceptional deal? Mine has the moving dalek head but that only adds $100 or so.

For me, I grew up on the show and my kids all watched the 2005 stuff with me so the dalek voices were popular in my home. EX-TER-MI-NATE!!!!
This is one of the games I have turned up the loudest. I don't have a pinsound board in it, but I've played one that did and I agree that can clean up the sound. I personnally like it the way it is though. I like pinsound boards in machines that are more musical like getaway.

I am not so great a player, so even knowing the loop exploit doesn't make the game one-dimensional for me. I have better luck going for the MB than the loop usually. My oldest son is excellent at hitting that loop. I've just never mastered it consistently.

Know that I have it again, I don't think I'll ever sell it.

#77 3 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Repro playfields would be great to..

Great to.... put into a new game?

#78 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Bally version, unless a whole new version is made. JJP, Stern could probably handle it.

#79 3 years ago

its not a bad game, but that mech at the top can be finicky, also need to make sure you don't get SDTM's on it.

#80 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

BBC has emphatically stated that they have no interest in giving out licences for artwork on this game.

No playfields
No plastics
No cab art
No translites, etc...

So, get them while you can?

Or hit up the after(black)market lol
They are always here to serve you!

#81 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

BBC has emphatically stated that they have no interest in giving out licences for artwork on this game.
No playfields
No plastics
No cab art
No translites, etc...

If we chant long enough , just maybe. "Running down a dream"

I know wishful thinking....

#82 3 years ago

No playfields
No plastics
No cab art
No translites, etc...

Curious what your source is on this. I believe CPR is working on reproductions.

#83 3 years ago
Quoted from Clnilsen:

PPS

But you never know...life is filled with mystery.

However, the after, aftermarket has been very, very accomodating.

#84 3 years ago

No playfields
No plastics
No cab art
No translites, etc...

I got decals for my DW that looked perfect, but it was a bit hairy trying to find them. It was like I was buying drugs from someone. They said they didn't sell them, then contacted me later saying they could. Lol. It was from somewhere in Portugal.

So I can see repro playfields being impossible to get.

#85 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I got decals for my DW that looked perfect, but it was a bit hairy trying to find them. It was like I was buying drugs from someone. They said they didn't sell them, then contacted me later saying they could. Lol. It was from somewhere in Portugal.
So I can see repro playfields being impossible to get.

Yep, its a minefield, but generally it works out pretty good.

#86 3 years ago
Quoted from Clnilsen:

They ran the mini-playfield a few years ago, if I'm not misremembering things.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 40.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
£ 110.00
$ 85.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/talk-me-in-or-out-of-owning-dr-who/page/2?hl=beergut666 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.