5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by wayout440
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

While it's amusing ( sometimes) to read the bickering between " camps" here, I truly get more polarizing comments out in the wild..." pinball...that's cool" or " pinball....really, thought you would have a real hobby now" type stuff. For example.....apparently I'm a misfit because I don't like Golf ( playing or watching)....never have, maybe never will.
    Personally, I don't care, because I do what I like when I can w leisure time. Would be fun to hear some other similar stories........

Guess my point is simple......we are all still pretty similar in some areas ( aka pinball fanatics) even though there can be fighting like dogs on certain machines, topics, etc............just my ramblings before a meeting today.....mark

#2 5 years ago

Ya my in-laws think my arcade/pinball hobby is pretty juvenile. I even like to play golf

#3 5 years ago

I don't really talk to co-workers and friends about my pinball hobby much. Most just don't seem to care or get it. Some people even want seem to look down on it. I guess I could be like everyone else and just spend $20k on some project car (and have it in pieces for years).

I also don't really get the drama that seems to happen in the is hobby. Especially the recent fanboy factions that seem to be duking it out about JJP or Stern or whatever. Its like 1980's nintendo vs sega arguments on the playground between 4th graders.

Also, does anyone actually like watching golf? Time to get off the couch and do something...

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

While it's amusing ( sometimes) to read the bickering between " camps" here, I truly get more polarizing comments out in the wild..." pinball...that's cool" or " pinball....really, thought you would have a real hobby now" type stuff. For example.....apparently I'm a misfit because I don't like Golf ( playing or watching)....never have, maybe never will.Personally, I don't care, because I do what I like when I can w leisure time. Would be fun to hear some other similar stories........
    Guess my point is simple......we are all still pretty similar in some areas ( aka pinball fanatics) even though there can be fighting like dogs on certain machines, topics, etc............just my ramblings before a meeting today.....mark

Dont like golf either. Now driving the cart, thats a whole different story!!

#5 5 years ago

Try owning a Corvette and a Mustang. Talk about being a misfit at cars shows when you bring both

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from jgreene:

Also, does anyone actually like watching golf?

I didn't like watching golf until I started playing golf. In that way, it's kinda like watching pinball.

#7 5 years ago

During the Thanksgiving holiday, my brother-in-law's wife actually asked me if I play my pinball machines as if they were merely collectibles to sit around and collect. I look back at how dumb that question was, especially when her kids were playing them at that very moment.
    The other thing that steams me about people asking questions like that is the fact that most of them don't have a single hobby of their own.

#8 5 years ago

It's funny when people call me "Pinball Wizard." They think they are being very clever. I just smile politely, unless they are guys I can banter with, and then I reply sarcastically, "I'll have to remember that! Did you just think of it? I've never heard that before!"

#9 5 years ago

People think pinball is a lot cooler than triathlon from my dealings, I will tell you that.....they think owning pinball machines is cool.....they think exercising 15+ hours a week is just retarded.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

During the Thanksgiving holiday, my brother-in-law's wife actually asked me if I play my pinball machines as if they were merely collectibles to sit around and collect. I look back at how dumb that question was, especially when her kids were playing them at that very moment.
    The other thing that steams me about people asking questions like that is the fact that most of them don't have a single hobby of their own.

Yep...I got the same kind of Line..." Why do you have so many (6)...aren't they all the same?" " do you really play these?"....geesh

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from Captive_Ball:

People think pinball is a lot cooler than triathlon from my dealings, I will tell you that.....they think owning pinball machines is cool.....they think exercising 15+ hours a week is just retarded.

If that's a hobby of yours, props, but I respectfully count myself out....no way I'm exercising 15 hours a week...ever......I do my 20 minutes every morning on the elliptical.....otherwise......forget it

#12 5 years ago

the reaction I usually get when I tell people I am into pinball or have pinball machines is very mild curiosity. they ask a couple questions but aren't particularly interested. but once I take them downstairs and actually show them off, they are blown away. I talk a little about some of the mods I've done, or what makes each one special ("this is one of two games to feature an inverted lower playfield, and was the first game to successfully charge 50 cents per play as opposed to 25" etc.). I often open a backbox and lift a playfield real quick just to show off how insanely complicated these things are. they are always amazed. a couple rounds of pinball always ensues and nobody leaves my basement thinking that me having pinball machines is weird or a waste.

#13 5 years ago

I've tried and tried to get friends to get machines. They make as much or more [a couple lots more] but still say they are too expensive and could never own one. I drive a 2002 vehicle and they drive 2010's, etc.
    I guess it's just what you make a priority in your life.

When my inlaws come down they don't even put 1 game on any of the machines. My wife's grandpa would play [doesn't travel well now] and about have a heart attack when they would match and he'd laugh, laugh, laugh afterwards. But the rest of the family shows no interest whatsoever. My father included. Pinball is my life [play at home - fix them at work] and these people are totally indifferent to it. Whatever. It makes me happy and that's what matters.

To your other comment about the bickering with different camps on here-- just tune it out. I have Woz and STLE so I've tried them both. WoZ might be up for sale very soon but Hobbit is still preordered. Play what you like and move those on that you don't. Don't let other people's opinion create yours for you. Play it for yourself!!!!

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

Try owning a Corvette and a Mustang. Talk about being a misfit at cars shows when you bring both

Funny I have a 2004 mustang cobra and a 2013 corvette grand sport. Every now and than I can hear them fighting in the garage.

#15 5 years ago

I have found just the opposite. People that come onber are normally fastinated by the machines I have in the basement. Young and old guesta alike. I hear many different comments:

"WHOA! THIS IS AWESOME"!
    "I didn't know you could own these"
    "These are really cool"

I have even gotten other people into the hobby, including my 72 year old father in law, who now has 5 machines of his own!

When our house was robbed, one of the officers that came in investigate was really into the games int he basement. After he did what he needed to do for his investivgation, we talked about games for about 30 minutes.

Chris

#16 5 years ago

I get some incredulous looks from friends.

They are all athletes and own ridiculous amounts of gear - cars, bikes, climbing gear, skis, on and on.........
    I have much of the same gear. When I purchased my first game, several of my buddies nearly crapped their pants. (???) We can spend $7K on a bicycle - no problem. But they had a FIT over what I spent on a game. I'm as much (or more) of a hard-core athlete as any of them but I don't see myself riding any harder or better on the next generation bicycle.

Then, I hosted guys' night out. Perspectives were changed after a good meal, a few bourbons, and a few games.
    Pinball night is now officially on the radar and I need to figure out how tournament play is handled (never been to an organized event in my life).
    On another note, my parents come to the house to visit quite often now. Having pinball has really helped to bring our family back together at the social level. Nothing like a few friendly games to get the laughter and good times rolling. We've come from only gathering at the Holidays to frequently gathering throughout the month on a fairly regular basis.

So........for the cost of a game.........I see myself as having a win situation on a number of levels.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from dgoett:

I've tried and tried to get friends to get machines. They make as much or more [a couple lots more] but still say they are too expensive and could never own one. I drive a 2002 vehicle and they drive 2010's, etc.
    I guess it's just what you make a priority in your life.
    When my inlaws come down they don't even put 1 game on any of the machines. My wife's grandpa would play [doesn't travel well now] and about have a heart attack when they would match and he'd laugh, laugh, laugh afterwards. But the rest of the family shows no interest whatsoever. My father included. Pinball is my life [play at home - fix them at work] and these people are totally indifferent to it. Whatever. It makes me happy and that's what matters.
    To your other comment about the bickering with different camps on here-- just tune it out. I have Woz and STLE so I've tried them both. WoZ might be up for sale very soon but Hobbit is still preordered. Play what you like and move those on that you don't. Don't let other people's opinion create yours for you. Play it for yourself!!!!

That's pretty much my world...the majority of people I bring down to the game room are impressed, but rarely show any genuine interest....can't decide if they think I'm nuts, or just have a hobby they don't understand. A few get it, but most don't...

And I agree with your assessment on the other topic. It really seems there are some unbelievable talent on this site regarding this Hobby. It would be much more readable ( for me) if the brain trusts just respectfully disagreed with the others approach, and gave "real world" takes on how the differences actually make the hobby itself better , offering positive input. There really only seems to be a handful of legitimate troll topics, but over, and over, and over.

I would benefit ( and enjoy) some of these legends posting about their years of dealing with the hobby, and how all the "new" technology helps, hurts, etc. From their standpoint....it would be good stuff....

Sorry....couldn't figure out a Cliff notes version.....

#18 5 years ago

Here's my question: How do you talk to new people about owning pins without coming across like a rich jerk?

Every time I talk to someone who isn't into pinball themselves, the conversation goes something like, "I was never into video games, pinball is what I really liked. I was finally able to get some for in my basement."

"Wow! Aren't they expensive?"

"Uhhhhhhhhhh......"

I feel if I don't answer I come across as a falsely modest jerk. If I do answer I come across as a rich jerk. (No.... You guys can avoid all theories that just come back to me being a jerk, thank you.)

But seriously, how do you broach the subject of owning machines?

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from lordnorth:

Here's my question: How do you talk to new people about owning pins without coming across like a rich jerk?
    Every time I talk to someone who isn't into pinball themselves, the conversation goes something like, "I was never into video games, pinball is what I really liked. I was finally able to get some for in my basement."
    "Uhhhhhhhhhh......"
    I feel if I don't answer I come across as a falsely modest jerk. If I do answer I come across as a rich jerk. (No.... You guys can avoid all theories that just come back to me being a jerk, thank you.)

Haven't figured that one out either.... I feel "guilty" for showing my collection to some, as they then assume I'm " flaunting" an expensive hobby ( because there is a lot of bling in pinball, period"....then the same people tell me about their boats, cars, and yes even golf club sets ( good ones are crazy money)....but that all is perceived as " normal" hobby stuff.....who knows?

#20 5 years ago

yeah great but what do you do when instead of boating or golf your friend's hobby is paying off their student loan debt or whatever?

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from lordnorth:

"Uhhhhhhhhhh......"

I get that too. I explain that while some can be expensive, many are not nearly as much as they think they may be. I explain that I got some great deals that allowed me to get games I would not normally buy.

It's all in your reaction I think. If you come across as pompus, it will appear that way. If not, then they may see a cool person collecting cool stuff

I'd rather p[ay $2000 for a pinball machine than, say, a rare postage stamp. What fun are those?

Chris

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

yeah great but what do you do when instead of boating or golf your friend's hobby is paying off their student loan debt or whatever?

I do that too...have 2 ongoing now.....not to mention hospital bills for my wife ( breast cancer survivor).....fortunate to make reasonable money, but I'm one of the oddities that believes if you wait until the perfect time to pursue something that brings happiness to you or your family ( hobbies, having kids, decent quality of life, etc.) it ain't ever going to happen. Sure don't have that one figured out, but I'm greatful everyday, even if it seems like the shittiest day on the planet to me sometimes....

#23 5 years ago

I invited these people over and they were quite impressed.

#24 5 years ago

People that don't play pinball or grew up with pinball, usually don't want to get into what you know in depth about pinball. I was just telling my wife the other day, that if I hadn't grown up next to a beach side arcade in the summer time, I'd probably have nothing to do with pinball. I can really only recall 2 or 3 times in my youth where pinball was found outside of that place. Almost always, people don't understand the price tag that goes with these machines.

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from lordnorth:

I usually tell the truth.. it's an unfortunate affliction with slightly better mortality figures than crack and crystal meth.

#26 5 years ago

I like that. Same cost as crack or meth without the physical side effects of losing teeth and pitted skin.
    lol

#27 5 years ago

I've been playing poker once a month with the same five or six guys over the last 13 years. These guys rarely notice if I get a new machine in the line-up (only space for five). If I get a different machine, sometimes it takes them six months before someone will ask, "Is that a new one?"

A couple of these guys are pretty close friends. They come over even more than just poker nights, but rarely play the games. My Megatouch by the bar is mostly what they play, if anything (also have a MAME cabinet).

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from lordnorth:

"Uhhhhhhhhhh......"

Tell them to look at me. I bought my first machine for $900 almost by accident. Second for $900, which is like 1 paycheck. Third for $1200 I had saved up from selling stuff on ebay and charged the shipping in order to be able to "afford it" and sold a bunch of old collectables that were only collecting dust to raise $5800 for the 4th one.

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

That is just something people don't understand. Yes, I go to my basement and turn on my games and play them while I am home alone. And I enjoy it. They see it as a lonely undertaking, and I see it that I am going to make it back to the damn Portal! Just different ways of seeing the same thing.

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

I do that too...have 2 ongoing now.....not to mention hospital bills for my wife ( breast cancer survivor).....fortunate to make reasonable money, but I'm one of the oddities that believes if you wait until the perfect time to pursue something that brings happiness to you or your family ( hobbies, having kids, decent quality of life, etc.) it ain't ever going to happen. Sure don't have that one figured out, but I'm greatful everyday, even if it seems like the shittiest day on the planet to me sometimes....

well stated. And congrats on your wife being a cancer survivor. I am as well. It certainly changes your perspective on things.

Chris

#31 5 years ago

Thanks for the post, Mark. I understand what you're saying. I don't know another person in my usual circle of friends and colleagues who owns a pinball table. Most of them would be (or already are) shocked to know what these things are worth. On the other hand, we have a lot of parties for other groups (such as the faculty at my wife's school) who seem to enjoy the machines. I suppose such persons are far less likely to concern themselves with the value of the pins and just let themselves have fun for a couple of hours. With the cost of the hobby being what it is, however, I have not managed to get more than two or three other people into it.

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

\\

How could you have a Corvette and even want to sit in a Rustang. What ya got. I have a 99 FRC with a 600HP blower setup and I just bought a 82CE

#33 5 years ago

My friends are just glad I have some classic 80s pins that they grew up with. They don't understand "shopping out" and other things about the pinball hobby, nor do they care. They just want to get a drink on and play some pinball.

#34 5 years ago

Wives hate, we love it - for the most part.
    Wives friends think its a cool hobby - unless their husbands are in the hobby lol.

#35 5 years ago

So I'm not the only one. People come over and look at the DMD games and get intimidated. So they play the older games, figure them out then move up a DMD game.

I guess if there is one thing that throws them back is the speed of some machines.

The one question that tires me most though is "how much money do you make off them?". When the answer is nothing, that's when many get confused.

I guess I've gotten to the point where I no longer care what anybody else thinks anymore. I'd rather explain the machines than argue politics. Any hobby is better than that.

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

That is just something people don't understand. Yes, I go to my basement and turn on my games and play them while I am home alone. And I enjoy it. They see it as a lonely undertaking, and I see it that I am going to make it back to the damn Portal! Just different ways of seeing the same thing.

I do the same thing.....it's very therapeutic for me.....sort of allows me to just be "me" for awhile....takes up my minimal brain ram so I don't think about work, but still use my brain (something my personal makeup mandates).

Quoted from SilverUnicorn:well stated. And congrats on your wife being a cancer survivor. I am as well. It certainly changes your perspective on things.
    Chris

Thanks for the kind words. They have found more in my Wife recently, so we (she) will be going through the entire process again first of the year (they're just taking both out, and replacing with two new models, so hopefully, no chemo)...that's what came close to killing her last time.....also caused me to get banned from the clinic because she was being treated like a piece of meat, in my opinion....made a pretty big scene...is what it is....

#37 5 years ago

Some think its kind of cool and some (my wife for one) think its rather "dorky". I really don't care one way or the other.

My Dad plays them every time he's over and so does my Brother and his young son. My kids rarely ever touch them. Oh and one brother-in-law likes them and the other two could care less.

An exchange student staying with my brothers family asked "why would anyone own so many"! I had four.

#38 5 years ago

I think a lot of people on here understand where you're coming from. When I try to explain to some of my friends that there are actually "rules", some of them look at me like Im from another planet. But, sometimes, you get the occasional person who listens, and begins to figure it out. When that happens, it's totally worth it.

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from sammiesguys:

I think a lot of people on here understand where you're coming from. When I try to explain to some of my friends that there are actually "rules", some of them look at me like Im from another planet. But, sometimes, you get the occasional person who listens, and begins to figure it out. When that happens, it's totally worth it.

You nailed it. I have a friend who said "Oh, I thought you were just supposed to keep the ball from going between the flippers, I had no idea there were objectives."

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Great American Pinball
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Deadpool Premium Out of stock
    Flip N Out Pinball
    Lighting - Backbox
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 154.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 154.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 7.65
    Cabinet Parts
    Third Coast Pinball
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 49.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 29.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 154.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    $ 123.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 6.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Siegecraft Electronics
    $ 6,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside