Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by snaroff
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I haven't played the game enough to thoroughly know its ins and outs, but I've heard so many times that TOTAN is a decent game that would be GREAT if the code had been finished.

What exactly is wrong with code, and are the problems truly so severe, that the game isn't worthy of being in a collection? (A collection that gets PLAYED; not just looked upon.)

Discuss.

#2 10 years ago

It's finished as far as I know. I think people would just like more variety in the mode objectives, as there are a lot of "Shoot the golden symbols" similarities between the modes, but I don't think it's that bad. A lot of people also don't like that you can wish objectives away, but hey, genies give wishes, LOL.

Some also don't like the wizard mode format, and the fact that it could last pretty much forever if you wanted it to, and you could couple that with Harem multiball if you're skilled enough for almost unlimited points.

I know I still dig my ToTAN and have fun with it despite the above, but due to the Harem multiball exploit noted above, you never see it used in tournaments (as far as I know).

#3 10 years ago

Sounds like the code isn't a deal breaker for someone of lesser skill like myself.

#4 10 years ago

vid1900 just posed answering this question in another thread:

Quoted from vid1900:

Multiplier does not always work correctly.
Out lanes don't always count on 2nd ball.
Genie battle never ends as long as you don't accidentally defeat the genie. You go until you are so bored you quit.
http://papa.org/games-of-the-week/tales-of-the-arabian-nights-haremgenie-battle/

#5 10 years ago

The code seems finished, but it could be so much better. All the modes seem the same and you reach the end very quickly. After finishing the game i feel like i just don't want to play the rest of the balls. It lacks depth in the game imo.

With such a great layout (imo), awesome music and sound effects, great art, this game could be top3 if it had a code like mm or afm.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

vid1900 just posed answering this question in another thread:

Doh!

Sorry. I missed it.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

All the modes seem the same and you reach the end very quickly. After finishing the game i feel like i just don't want to play the rest of the balls.

Ugh. That doesn't sound too good at all.

#8 10 years ago

Other than the Harem 2-ball multiball (which is difficult to get and should be a rare bazaar award) there is only one 3 ball multiball (not counting the wizard mode of course) and no super jackpot (which should be the yellow switch to the right of the genie). Also, progress on jewels should not carry over between balls and there shouldn't be a 2-wish ruby award. Some of the jewels are too easy to obtain. For example, the cyclops only requires one hit to the orbs before shooting the ramp to collect the jewel.

I think the biggest drawback is that once you know how to exploit the game the "magic is lost." For example, you can shoot to spin the lamp, then time out lighting lamp, wish away each jewel and be on your way to the genie battle in less than 3 minutes. As was stated above Harem multiball during the genie battle is a big exploit as is having lightning lamp at 3x scoring before starting genie battle. Both exploits can lead to enormous scores. The game becomes infinitely more challenging if you do not wish your jewels away.

With that being said, it is still one of my favorites and is always a hit with guests. The intro, scimitar lamp countdown after the end of each ball and game winning animations are some of in the business. Despite code shortcomings, it really is one of the most fun pins out there. I would 100% buy TOTAN again if code was tweaked.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from Fatsquatch:

Doh!
Sorry. I missed it.

Didn't mean to sound snarky, was just trying to help! He actually posted that in a thread about PPS rights to Williams games so it's not like you'd have guessed from the title that there would be discussion of TOTAN code.

#10 10 years ago

I was forced to sell my TOTAN in 08. I loved the theme, but not being a great player I never was able to exploit it. It's a beautiful pin and I will get one again when I can afford it.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Didn't mean to sound snarky...

No worries! I didn't take it that way at all.

#12 10 years ago

I believe there is a thread somewhere where someone was pondering fixing the code on it and a pretty detailed breakdown of the issues and how to actually fix them was pounded out.

#13 10 years ago

I have pointed out before there are two ways of looking at machines; one as they were intended in the days they came out, as a quarter magnet to make profit, and two as their value in a home use environment. Many games go from one end of the spectrum to the other, take HS for example, supreme arcade day machine with little home use value today, other than nostalgia.

TOTAN I think had a neat idea in carrying the modes over until they are finished. This is something that wasn't done before, and much like I feel SC was, it was a new, fresh attempt to lure people in, and make some aspects more achievable for the casual players. The jewels being collected early was another good idea at the time to give casual players a chance to fast forward in hopes of seeing the end.

Despite not in the least liking really anything about the rules in a home or even tourney environment now, I can see where the thought process was at the time, and think that from that perspective, it was a solid attempt. Keep in mind, they were not programming these things back then to satisfy the rule hungry collectors on forums, they were trying solely to lure people into inserting coins.

This was game changer time in the downswing from the great early 90s wpc's, and they made changes to try and sway back people, but it was already too far gone for many reasons out of their control.

Although the rules do wreck this machine for me, I think TOTAN is one of the most beautiful machines ever made, and I would likely grab one in a second if someone redid the rules for it to cater to today's likes.

#14 10 years ago

Wow this is educational as it is one gorgeous game that I have never seen on location. On the pinball arcade I guess I don't get deep enough to learn what's missing in the code. Now after reading some of this it is not so high on my wish list.

#15 10 years ago

I own one. It's fun to play and has beautiful artwork. I'm not good enough of a player to exploit it the way some are able to. It's not nearly as deep a game as something like LOTR. I wouldn't have it as my only pin, but it's good in a medium size collection. I'll go a while without playing it, and then go back to it, and it's still fun to play.

#16 10 years ago

Shoot the golden symbols, shoot the golden symbols, shoot the golden symbols.

Carrying the modes over (forced mode completion) is a mistake on some drawn out modes "Spell Sesame". S........E............S.......Ahhh forget it.

Eliminate the ability to collect jewels from the Bazaar slot altogether and you have a decent challenging game.

A visually stunning machine, nonetheless. Playfield artwork ranks as top 3 from any era for me.

Sometimes I used to switch my machine on just to look at the artwork all lit up.

PS: Forget the inner side decals, mirror blades are a must on this machine.

#17 10 years ago

I own one and my only complaint is the ball save feature when enabled after the genie magnet releases the ball doesn't work

besides that yes the modes are a bit repetitive but maybe I'm not a pinball wizard/internet bad-ass(TM) but I have a hard time getting to the wizard mode (even with wishes) so I guess if you are a really amazing player it might be an issue... otherwise probably not

#18 10 years ago

Imagine what Eric could do with this game and a PROC? I'd love to see him tackle this and NGG. His work on CCC is outstanding.

#19 10 years ago

The could can be not great, but the amazing layout, art and sound makes up for it. That's why this one is a top rated machine. I don't have one just because it reached some crazy prices around here.
The game is fun even for an advanced player, the only downsize is that you only play it once a week or so lol
Every time i play this machine over at friend's house i reach the wizard mode and win it. So so easy, but the whole experience with that art and sound makes it worth it and love it.
If you have a chance to get one totan go for it, you can sell it later cuzz it will always keep it's value.

#20 10 years ago

I own one because I love the theme and sheer beauty. I'm presently blinging it out to be my eye candy machine seen first when people enter my game room. I still enjoy playing it and plan to keep it long-term, though I occasionally get a SDTM drain from the magnet and frequently lose one of my genie multiballs right as its given to me. I especially like the odd pop bumper placement and female genie call outs. It's probably not good for a small collection though.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

The game is fun even for an advanced player, the only downsize is that you only play it once a week or so lol

Yeah, because a single game lasts an entire week.

lol.

#22 10 years ago

*GASP* Bally/Williams shipped a game with unfinished code! We should stop purchasing them immediately!

Sorry couldn't resist.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

*GASP* Bally/Williams shipped a game with unfinished code! We should stop purchasing them immediately!
Sorry couldn't resist.

It's not really unfinished. The issues code wise are not really ones that would have affected its usual route players.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Yeah, because a single game lasts an entire week.
lol.

I must really suck worse than I thought because I can rarely beat the genie. And yes, you can time out, so confirming a single game does not last forever. Anybody know if there is a setting to make genie battle more difficult? (I am sure my game was set on maximum).

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from pinsanity:

Shoot the golden symbols, shoot the golden symbols, shoot the golden symbols.
Carrying the modes over (forced mode completion) is a mistake on some drawn out modes "Spell Sesame". S........E............S.......Ahhh forget it.

Really? I think it and Flying Horse are the only halfway-decent modes. Rocs is finished in one bumper hit. Scheherazade's done in one shot. Cyclops is one captive ball hit. Forty Thieves is done with two ramp shots. Camel Race lights all shots, so you just hit the left loop over and over again. So that's nine shots to finish 5 of 7 modes (plus an extra ball). At least OS and FH make you work a bit. Wish them away, and you face the genie. Big whoop.

Eliminate the ability to collect jewels from the Bazaar slot altogether and you have a decent challenging game.

I wouldn't mind if you could wish away one mode, but three or four is ridiculous.

1 week later
#26 10 years ago
Quoted from CarShark:

Really? I think it and Flying Horse are the only halfway-decent modes. Rocs is finished in one bumper hit. Scheherazade's done in one shot. Cyclops is one captive ball hit. Forty Thieves is done with two ramp shots. Camel Race lights all shots, so you just hit the left loop over and over again. So that's nine shots to finish 5 of 7 modes (plus an extra ball). At least OS and FH make you work a bit. Wish them away, and you face the genie. Big whoop.

I wouldn't mind if you could wish away one mode, but three or four is ridiculous.

well clearly you are too good for this machine... feel free to sell it to someone that will appreciate it :p

#27 10 years ago

I just got one, and it plays real fast (PF is cleared/waxed). I think it will be awhile before I consider this an "easy" game. I find all three of JPops masterpieces (TOM/TOTAN/CV) kind of "meh" when it comes to rules (with CV's wizard mode being an exception). It's seems like he focused on art, pf design, and theme integration…from that perspective, TOTAN is the total package. When I walk up to one of my pins, I don't *always" want to be challenged…sometimes I just want to be entertained!

#29 10 years ago

I dunno. I think the code in TOTAN is fantastic. It implements the vision. Its a quest. An evil genie had taken the princess. You rescue her. To do so you collect jewels to build a magic sword and fight the genie. The jewels can be collected by either fighting the genie modes or by rubbing your lamp and making a wish.

If the game is clean and set up well, ball times are fairly short. Its true you can often get to the genie battle. But that's ok. You want to fight the genie to rescue the princess.

As for modes continuing after a ball drain, great. Losing the ball is enough of a penalty. Why should you be further punished by having to restart whatever you were doing? Whoever invented ending your modes on ball drain in any game is an a*%hole.

As for the genie battle being able to last forever. The game has no auto plunger. You have to keep the balls plunged as you're making yhd shots. Its easy to get a but behind and the next thing you realize you lost the fight. The battle is pretty intense multiball action with manually plunging of balls. You'll tire out way before you decide to quit because you are bored. And exploiting this forever is much easier said than done.

#30 10 years ago

I think TOTAN is pretty much like SS in that it is a fun game in a great package that lacks the depth of TSPP, or LOTR. That said it is an excellent choice for a short game of pinball and a lot of fun for guests.

#31 10 years ago

I've only had mine for about 1 week and love it so far. PMD's restoration plays really fast. On this title, I'm really digging the clear coat (and the extra ball speed). Games have been fairly short so far…haven't reached the genie battle yet.

I've owned CV and TOM and think I prefer TOTAN (though I'm still in the honeymoon period).

fwiw, I find TOTAN much more difficult than SS. I find SS entertaining, but not very challenging. TOTAN seems to strike a nice balance for me so far.

It's by far the most beautiful pin/restoration I've owned to date...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 119.99
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 84.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 36.95
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 9.95
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tales-of-the-arabian-nights-and-its-code and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.