Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN1026.JPG
#1 11 years ago

I have a Theatre of Magic and love it!
Will soon be looking for a second pin. I was warned that it would never stay at one.
I'm looking for a TOTAN. What do you think of this machine ?

#2 11 years ago

I only thought one pin would be enough and I would never sell my pool table. Well so much for that idea I own both TOM and TOTAN in my collection and even had a CV for a short period of time before I quickly learned it just wasn't for me even though they looked really nice side by side. I think the trick for TOTAN would be finding one locally or within your budget. Do you have an idea of how much you are comfortable spending because they are currently fetching > $6000 even in rough shape.

#3 11 years ago

TOTAN would go great with TOM. Good luck on your search.

#4 11 years ago

I use to own both. I think that the gameplay is very similar and does not offer much diversity between the two.

#5 11 years ago

TOM and TOTAN as your only pins seems redundant.

#6 11 years ago

I think totan is too new for anyone to have reviewed it yet. You may want to check RGP and search pinside to see if anyone had posted their opinion on this game.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

I think totan is too new for anyone to have reviewed it yet. You may want to check RGP and search pinside to see if anyone had posted their opinion on this game.

Huh?

#8 11 years ago

skill shot needs some work...

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from jpop:

I like your skill shot on that game. It's a two parter where the first skill shot qualifies for the super at the ramp. I prefer that to the theatre of magic skill shot by far.

#10 11 years ago

My point is there are so many posts (15 years worth?) on this game if the op did a search.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

I use to own both. I think that the gameplay is very similar and does not offer much diversity between the two.

Agreed, although TOTAN is the superior game. You might be better off with something a little bit different like TZ, TAF or WH2O.

#12 11 years ago

Jpop likes it.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

My point is there are so many posts (15 years worth?) on this game if the op did a search.

Oh gotcha I misunderstood

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

TOM and TOTAN as your only pins seems redundant.

While there is some truth to this...you like what you like.

I will soon have MM, AFM, and MB in my lineup and you could say the same thing about them being similar since they are fan layouts etc. But if I love the way that they play, and the themes, I want *more* of that...not less.

I love the classic fan layout, so having several pins with that layout doesn't bother me at all.

And ToM and TOTAN don't play any more alike than MM, MB or AFM do in my opinion.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from Nilroc:

I have a Theatre of Magic and love it!
Will soon be looking for a second pin. I was warned that it would never stay at one.
I'm looking for a TOTAN. What do you think of this machine ?

It's not about what anybody else thinks, it's about what you think. Find one you can play and give it a try. If you can't find one to play, try it out on The Pinball Arcade from Farsight on android or iOS and see what the game is generally like (though the digital ones are usually much easier than the real thing). Don't let anybody else tell you what's good or bad, what you will like or you won't.

E

#16 11 years ago

Played TOTAN at the Ohio show for the first time. It was a DOG. Not going to let that sway my thinking of the actual game though... I'm sure a dialed in table would kick ass. I would personally find a real nice PM if I had a ToM. Keep the theme. or not. your decision! Maybe TAF?

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from jpop:

Lol!! From the other thread ; )

OP. Get it! Nobody does artand flow like Jpop. They are masterpieces.

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from jpop:

That made me chuckle. Even without reading the other thread

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from jpop:

When I was at expo, all the designers were sitting at a long table giving autographs. Having 17 games, I got almost every signature I wanted. When I got to Jpop, I asked him " which games did you do?" It wasn't till I got home that I realized that the reason I didn't know him was because most of his games are so good that I couldn't afford them! After playing TOTAN though, I realized his genius and broke the bank! I hope to buy TOM one day! So, Jpop, I'm sorry for not recognizing you, but I have seen the light!!! Thanks!

#20 11 years ago

TOTAN is a great game. If I had the cash to burn I wouyld love to have one, just so pricey.

#21 11 years ago

I like TOTAN more than TOM. Play it yourself and see if you like it.

#22 11 years ago

Totan is one of my favorite all time pins. Wish I hadn't sold mine. Tom is a fun game, but Totan has it beat especially with it's 2 wizard modes, while Tom has it's band finale.

George

#23 11 years ago

Bland finale

#24 11 years ago

Totan is far superior to TOM. TOM looks great, but is dull and bland overall for gameplay. Great theme, poorly done. TOTAN is the most beautiful playfield ever released, unique playfield layout, great sound calls and fun gameplay. TOTAN is superior to most games. Some don't like it because you can wish your modes away, but it's a minor flaw. No game is flawless. TZ comes as close to perfection as you can get in the pinball world.

#25 11 years ago

Yep, the wizard mode is a joke on this game.

#26 11 years ago

TOTAN seems challenging

#27 11 years ago

Played TOTAN at the Ohio show for the first time. It was a DOG. Not going to let that sway my thinking of the actual game though... I'm sure a dialed in table would kick ass. I would personally find a real nice PM if I had a ToM. Keep the theme. or not. your decision! Maybe TAF?

I could not agree more I played the TOTAN and felt so sorry for it that I bought it. FYI that game is getting new DH cabinet, playfield sent to HSA for restoration and all brass by Mike chesnut should look great next to my IJ. The problem is that a full restoration plus core game is very expensive but I think they will go up over time due to the rarity.

DSCN1026.JPGDSCN1026.JPG

#28 11 years ago

i actually got bored with TOTAN. while it is very fun, i found it to be repetitive and i somehow always manage to hit the lamp and then have the ball go straight down the middle.

that is the beauty of pinball, as we can all enjoy different games and there are so many to choose from.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 84.99
$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 119.99
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9.95
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tales-of-the-arabian-nights and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.