(Topic ID: 94129)

Tales of my TFTC Topper Restoration

By RussMyers

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

OK, this was over 2 years in the making because I have lived in a townhouse where the ceiling was too low for the DE toppers, but now that we are moving into a larger house I have finished this resto.

The TFTC topper I knowingly bought in very bad condition. It was shattered into 4 separate pieces and there were holes everywhere like swiss cheese. The plastic had been formed poorly and it was tissue-thin in many places.

The price was right (cheap) so it was worth a try. This was before any repro was available.

I used multiple layers of fiberglass tape (drywall tape) and 2-part expoxy, then a dremel to re-shape areas.

I sprayed the whole thing with gloss black Krylon plastic paint and custom painted it all by hand using Testor model paints.

Here is the journey:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/37999418@N04/sets/72157629547146160/

Enjoy!

RussMyers

#2 9 years ago

Wow, it looks great. I would buy a new/restored one from you if you were ever are able to fix or create another. I am trying to get my TFTC finished up so I can bring it to EXPO. It's been 30+ hours in the process and I DIDN'T replace the playfield!

#3 9 years ago

Nice work, I like the final coloring. That's strange how 'holy' it was, do you think it deteriorated in the sun or was it just a bad run from the factory.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from Don1:

Nice work, I like the final coloring. That's strange how 'holy' it was, do you think it deteriorated in the sun or was it just a bad run from the factory.

Thanks!

It may well have been sun-baked, but the plastic was absolutely tissue-paper thin in many spots. Just a bad molding job on that one.

RM

#5 9 years ago

Yes yes yes yes.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 64.00
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Playfield - Plastics
Mad Czar Games

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 345.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

£ 32.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 18.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
$ 18.95
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tales-of-my-tftc-topper-restoration and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.