• Latest reply 3 years ago by gdonovan
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

P6072844 (resized).JPG
P5282794 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Sonic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 3 years ago

Number one rule of DE DMD era pins - replace the PS board...and not with Rottendog....go with an Xpin and watch most of your problems disappear.....however, if you are renting it - have the guy fix it...

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from LuminousAphid:

I was wondering if anyone can help with where to get capacitors/diodes/etc around the Seattle area right now? I was thinking of checking the C2 capcitor since on other threads and troubleshooting guides, this seems to leak and cause similar problems. If that's not the issue, what should I check next? It would be good to keep the original board and just recap it, since I've heard even the Xpin boards can cause some issues with some DE games...?

You heard wrong - the original DE Power Supply board is nothing but trouble - it simply is not worth fixing and re-fixing...I perform board level repair - and I gave up eventually - so all DE DMD era pins get an Xpin Power Supply board when I get my hands on one- that's about 7 pins so far - and no fails....it is superior to the original and Rottendog board....

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from Sonic:

You heard wrong - the original DE Power Supply board is nothing but trouble - it simply is not worth fixing and re-fixing...I perform board level repair - and I gave up eventually - so all DE DMD era pins get an Xpin Power Supply board when I get my hands on one- that's about 7 pins so far - and no fails....it is superior the original and Rottendog board....

Also take a few pics and post - I'm sure the connectors are nice and brown too....

1 week later
#10 3 years ago
Quoted from Sonic:

Also take a few pics and post - I'm sure the connectors are nice and brown too....

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/95830

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from grantopia:

Agree with this 100%. I have fully rebuilt a few DE/Sega PS boards and still get 5v that is too low somehow. I've learned my lesson and literally just throw them away when they crap out, buy the XPin and move on and forget about it. Same thing with the 90s B/W DMD controller boards and the garbage HV sections. Get the $80 replacement controller and save pulling your hair out. I am normally all about fixing what I can to keep things original but those boadrs are honestly junk.

Oh man...agree on the DMD boards - I so wish Brent was making those @ Xpin (he had to stop) - but now the only DMD source is Rottendog and PINLED - I have several of the PINLED's and have had no issues....

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from grantopia:

Yeah its like these power supplies, just not worth the time and parts to repair. I have never used the PINLED ones, just the Rottendog, but I have honestly had no issues with any of those so far (fingers crossed).
To the OP you can get a PS rebuild kit from any of the major suppliers (Marco, Great Plains, etc.) or just the individual caps. It can't hurt to try, but unless you tested everything (bridge, resistors, etc) and replace the connectors and fuse clips, you may be chasing your tail. For $120 bucks or whatever the XPin costs just save your time and be done with it ha.

That link is to a DE Xpin Power Supply for $100 - hell, I'm thinking of getting it to have as a spare!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 345.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 64.00
$ 18.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 15.00
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

£ 32.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 18.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Plastics
Mad Czar Games

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Sonic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tales-from-the-crypt-won-t-boot?tu=Sonic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.