• Bram stoker's Dracula 81 votes
    68%
  • None of the Above 2 votes
    2%

(120 votes)

#1 4 years ago

Tell us about your choice!

#2 4 years ago

If your looking for a spooky machine that is easy to play tflc fits the bill. If you want to play a tough machine that makes you play better, makes you try to control the ball then BSD is the pin. It was my first pin, my first pinball REGERT selling it, my first repurchase 2 years later have had one in the collection for 18+ years not leaving any time soon. Stacking the three mulitballs is a challenge but hearing Thirtymilllllllion! makes it worth it. Used to be affordable that has changed so TFTC will be much lighter on the wallet...

#3 4 years ago

Tales all day. Bsd went from sleeper to overrated. Tales is still in that sleeper category but even that is changing so get it now while you can before it becomes 5k

#4 4 years ago

BSD no question, there's really no comparison for me. TFTC is one of the worst pin i had, i think it's a POS with terrible music and sounds . BSD is a masterpiece.

#5 4 years ago

I own both and love each one but I usually play TFTC more than my BSD so I vote TFTC.

#6 4 years ago

I vote Class of 1812

#7 4 years ago

Tftc, mostly because it’s more well rounded from a difficulty, crowd pleasing, and fun to play aspect.

Both solid games, would be a tough choice!

#8 4 years ago

Tftc is the best data East. Pure awesomeness from early 90’s. BSD mostly appeal to “tournament” players for a reason beyond my understanding

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from Shadrac:

BSD no question, there's really no comparison for me. TFTC is one of the worst pin i had, i think it's a POS with terrible music and sounds . BSD is a masterpiece.

whats a POS?

#10 4 years ago

Piece Of Shit

I'm not a BSD slurper like so many, but it's a game...very narrow but a good game.
TFTC is super great for your wife/GF or friends whom don't give a shit aboot pinball. Funny, great animations, but horrible layout and typical DE "too muchery".

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Piece Of Shit
I'm not a BSD slurper like so many, but it's a game...very narrow but a good game.
TFTC is super great for your wife/GF or friends whom don't give a shit aboot pinball. Funny, great animations, but horrible layout and typical DE "too muchery".

Just curious what makes it a horrible layout? Seems like it hits all the necessary shots and then some.... Probably the best shooting DE game out there. Now I'll be the first one to about DE feel cheap but shot layout is horrible?

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Just curious what makes it a horrible layout? Seems like it hits all the necessary shots and then some.... Probably the best shooting DE game out there. Now I'll be the first one to about DE feel cheap but shot layout is horrible?

can somebody explain to me why DE feels like that?its the build quality?

#13 4 years ago

This is a tough one! I think it depends on my mood. If I want a fast potentially quick game and don't feel like grinding it out I would choose BSD. If I am in a more of a grind it out finish many modes mood I would choose TFTC. Both are wonderful choices.

#14 4 years ago

I like both too. TFTC is just pure fun and love the two metal ramps, Cryptkeeper quotes and theme, show and artwork. BSD is more dark unless you add more lights but the ramps that divert, mist multiball, and million sayings I love.

#15 4 years ago

tftc gets my vote

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

typical DE "too muchery".

This.

TFTC is not well choreographed. To me, it feels like a chaotic mess in every regard. Could be intentional, but it's not for me. I do like the playfield layout.

BSD is not perfect in this regard. It would have really helped if code would have been developed beyond 1.0. But: it does a much, much better job. It sets a tone, tells a story, and for that, builds up to a climax. It's one of my favorite games.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Probably the best shooting DE game out there.

Of all the data easy games I’ve played out there, the following shoot as good if not better than tales from the crypt:

LW3
Royal Rumble
Tommy
Rocky and Bullwinkle
Star Wars
Jurassic Park
GNR

Only one that shoots worse that I can think of is Last Action Hero.

Quoted from Metzu:

Simply because it’s a different brand. If you’re used to playing all bally Williams 90s games, when you play a days east or an early solid state, or a modern stern, it’s going to feel different.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:Tales all day. Bsd went from sleeper to overrated. Tales is still in that sleeper category but even that is changing so get it now while you can before it becomes 5k

Agree

Owned both. Thought tftc was well done and a TON to shoot at. Good use of shaker too.

BSD is overrated as hell. Couldn’t wait to sell it and cannot believe the prices and hype on here.

#19 4 years ago

Tftc is DE, bandwagon people hate DE just because it's DE.. Tftc is an awesome game, no question. I don't understand the draw for Bsd, meh at best, and as mentioned, very overrated.

#20 4 years ago

TFTC...nothing wrong with BSD - good pin....but TFTC with the new code, ColorDMD and a simple mod for the captive ball shot - and it's as good as any pin I've played.....(except Creech - but that's a sentimental opin)

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#21 4 years ago
Quoted from Metzu:

I heard the same when I first got into pinball and thought it's just people hating on DE. Then I played a lot of pinball over the last 3 years.

Now I know they were right. You have to really experience a lot of bally williams pinball and then come back to a Data East and the difference is very apparent.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Of all the data easy games I’ve played out there, the following shoot as good if not better than tales from the crypt:
LW3
Royal Rumble
Tommy
Rocky and Bullwinkle
Star Wars
Jurassic Park
GNR
Only one that shoots worse that I can think of is Last Action Hero.

Simply because it’s a different brand. If you’re used to playing all bally Williams 90s games, when you play a days east or an early solid state, or a modern stern, it’s going to feel different.

Yeah we'll have to just agree to disagree if you think Royal Rumble, Star Wars and others shoots as well as TFTC.

#23 4 years ago

Hard to say, I like them both but they are very different games. TFTC is a very “90’s mode” based game where each mode is basically shooting a specific shot or thing on the playfield a few times...the scoop shot can be tough too but it’s a fun game. BSD is a shorter playing game where you are really just trying to stack multi balls over and over and over. I like the 90s DMD games and BSD almost feels like a System 11 to me which I love in that you’re playing for Multiball and score and ball times aren’t too long. I’d personally prefer a BSD but that’s more of the game type I’ve been looking for right now. If you want something with more traditional modes then TFTC is your man if you’re picking between the two.

#24 4 years ago

I recently picked up TFTC and had not seen or played one for many years. I was SHOCKED how much fun it was. Truly one of the last "sleeper" titles in this hobby.
I own both pins, and I see myself playing TFTC solo and BSD with wife/friends more often.

#25 4 years ago

both are great themes. tales has better ramps. bsd is brutal. repairing those games i will take tftc all day. bsd is a royal pain in the arse to repair. tons of optos, specialized boards, and tight spaces. but either choice is good

#26 4 years ago

Still have a TFTC. Funny enough, I traded a TFTC a few years ago for a BSD just to play something new and I heard good things about BSD. BSD is fun, but I mean, its not all that as some people proclaim. I kept it a few months and then traded it along.

Still have my other TFTC and it's not going anywhere.

#27 4 years ago

These games are very different.

Bsd is a one-trick pony, stack 3mbs. Very difficult, but a lot of fun trying.

Tftc is a mode based game, all of which are fun to play.

I prefer bw games over DE, but I think tftc offers a lot more.

#28 4 years ago

I've owned them both at different times for a while.
TFTC is not a sleeper. Not because it's not great, but because it's been been known as a great title for 10+ years.

You either like a pinball machine or you don't. There is no one vs. the other. Can we just please stop with that nonsense?

They both have haters and those that love them.
Both of these games have good and bad.

TFTC is a lot like all the other DE based mode games. If you like those games and like the theme, you will probably like TFTC.
BSD is a difficult, bonus heavy, stack the multi balls game and has a good video mode.

I don't believe that just because there is more stuff in a game that it is automatically a better game.

I think BSD is charming. It's DMD animations are a true work of art.
I do not like the sounds in TFTC. TFTC has a shaker but I don't really know why.

That's about it!

#29 4 years ago

I have a lot of history with both of these titles. The first pin I ever bought was a TFTC. The seller had both a TFTC and a BSD for sale and I had to choose. I took the TFTC, but several years later ended up picking up a BSD. I ended up trading my first TFTC away shortly after that, but picked up *another* TFTC some years later. I ended up selling that TFTC after a few years to fund a NIB purchase, but the BSD remains! I freakin love TFTC, and I would never discourage anyone from picking one up, but it didn't have the staying power of BSD for me or my friends. I found that non-pinheads flocked around the TFTC at major parties, but most of the pinball crowd neglected it. Often it would be the only game not being played when pinheads came over. BSD isn't as deep, but it's also more unique, addictive and imho, easier to maintain. It's the only true horror game B/W ever produced! I guess it depends on what you want out of a game right now.

#30 4 years ago

Drac.

Like all DE games Tales is an imitation williams with bad sound, ugly art, and generally clunky gameplay. It just doesn't stand up to the classic simplicity of Drac which has a much better package altogether.

It certainly isn't the best looking Williams ever made but still a lot better all around than Tales, and of course the sound, dots, and gameplay feel are miles beyond Tales.

#31 4 years ago

This is a tough one. I've only played TFTC one time and the upper right flipper was way too weak, so that made hitting some of the shots harder. I must say I want both of these pins one day. I love the animations in TFTC, and I like the cheesy callouts, and while most people hate the art package, I love it. I think its a fun shooting pin and has a couple of cool MBs.

BSD has a nice look to it, but i think I prefer TFTC, but dracula is a sleeker more cohesive and streamlined looking pin. I love the video mode on BSD, I think it is one of the better ones. Nice risk reward to it, and also its both fun, and just the right amount of time.
It has nice animations, and I don't know about the callouts.... I've only played it in crowded rooms. I just know a lady moans during the x bonus completions... So yeah... I like the callouts(Just joking, but I really can't recall any other callouts as I've never heard the pin too much.).
What the game has that I really like though is Mist mb. I think Mist multiball might be one of the coolest starts to a mb ever. Really cool. And I believe it has at least two other mb's. I think there is the coffin mb, and a third one that I cannot remember.

I really don't think you can go wrong with either choice. I think you might be able to get a BSD a little cheaper though. I do think TFTC is more mode based and very mode heavy, while BSD isn't. I mean you get your rats and bats and make sure you score big with those on the first ball because that bonus carries over ball to ball, but I'm mostly trying to get those modes and mb's in BSD.

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Drac.
Like all DE games Tales is an imitation williams with bad sound, ugly art, and generally clunky gameplay. It just doesn't stand up to the classic simplicity of Drac which has a much better package altogether.
It certainly isn't the best looking Williams ever made but still a lot better all around than Tales, and of course the sound, dots, and gameplay feel are miles beyond Tales.

The dots on TFTC are among the best (if not the best) of any pin of that era--they are very creative and were well done. Mine was no clunker, it played really good. I'll give you the art (by a little--however the T-lite on Drac is no real winner), sound and feel (by a lot). A TFTC with the ChadH ROM is a big improvement over the standard rules.

#33 4 years ago

I currently have both. BSD for almost 20yrs. There is a reason to last that long, and unlike some, it has been my "Most" reliable game. (disclosure: It gets played maybe 25 times per year) My 90's games didn't get played that much in general. I used to collect, and have let them go...now I'm actually playing more since the newer machines came along. which is a good thing. I had my values mixed up back then. Thank goodness for all the recent pinball mfgs.

TFTC hmm..maybe 6yrs. I got to say TFTC is going to stay. "ALWAYS"..says the wife. It also has been very reliable, (and gets played!) the mirror blades really made this game pop.

Both these games "feel" more solid to me then my new stern Munsters. (and I love that game).

I have just recently been thinking of letting my BSD go..only because lack of playing. But, I like all things scary/creepy.. so maybe not.

People will play TFTC over BSD at my house (between those 2). but others more yet.

#34 4 years ago

Tftc over Bsd all day long.

#35 4 years ago

TFTC.....so much to shoot for...fun modes....Crypt Keeper lines are great. Dots are awesome and new code really upgrades the rules nicely.

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

I've owned them both at different times for a while.
TFTC is not a sleeper. Not because it's not great, but because it's been been known as a great title for 10+ years.
You either like a pinball machine or you don't. There is no one vs. the other. Can we just please stop with that nonsense?
They both have haters and those that love them.
Both of these games have good and bad.
TFTC is a lot like all the other DE based mode games. If you like those games and like the theme, you will probably like TFTC.
BSD is a difficult, bonus heavy, stack the multi balls game and has a good video mode.
I don't believe that just because there is more stuff in a game that it is automatically a better game.
I think BSD is charming. It's DMD animations are a true work of art.
I do not like the sounds in TFTC. TFTC has a shaker but I don't really know why.
That's about it!

when you have to choose to buy one or the other its a 1 vs an oposite thats all no fight match just to pick one

#37 4 years ago

I vote for your avatar image !

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

The dots on TFTC are among the best (if not the best) of any pin of that era--they are very creative and were well done. Mine was no clunker, it played really good. I'll give you the art (by a little--the T-lite on Drac is no real winner), sound and feel (by a lot). A TFTC with the ChadH ROM is a big improvement over the standard rules.

DE clunkiness its a fact and its a downer cause other than that they have great game ideas

#39 4 years ago

Funny that right now the poll is heavily slanted toward BSD, but the comments seem slanted toward TFTC. My guess is that people that own one or the other (like me), or both, are more likely to take the time to comment. People that don’t are more likely to have played BSD and therefore vote for it, because it just seems like you find a lot more 90s BW games on locations than DE.

I cast my vote for TFTC (which I own), but it was a close call. BSD is a very good tournament game. I love the mist ball effect and agree BSD has one of the best video modes around - simple, yet challenging. BSD can be brutal and sometimes the house balls can seem unfair. TFTC has some of the best DMD animations (especially with ColorDMD), but BSD oozes atmosphere. TFTC definitely has more modes, but many of these modes are similar to LAH and JP and in a tournament setting some modes might not make sense to play. Chad’s ROMs help even out the modes. BSD has a smaller, but more unique rule set. The metal ramps on TFTC are great and satisfying. TFTC has spinners, a captive ball, drops, an upper flipper, and a bash toy of sorts (the tombstone). I don’t think BSD has any of these, but it does have the cool coffin lock, the awesome mist ball, and the ability to park a ball during multiball.

I’m not sure I’d pay the current going prices (mines a player’s condition and I got it before the prices went up too much). That being said, if you’re looking for a horror theme I don’t think you’d go wrong with either of these titles.

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from Metzu:

DE clunkiness its a fact and its a downer cause other than that they have great game ideas

Possibly, but mine played pretty smoothly and was not a clunker. Played and felt more like a Stern than a B/W, but was not clunky.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
Led
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts
Toys/Add-ons
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Decals
FlyLand Designs
Decals
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 26.50
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus
Sound/Speakers
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Warrenton, VA
$ 18.95
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
Under cabinet
Boards
PinSound
Boards
Playfield - Plastics
Mad Czar Games
Plastics
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tales-from-the-crypt-vs-bsd?hl=diospinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.