(Topic ID: 79728)

Tales from the Crypt versus RFM? Prices?

By violinfather

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

TFTC for $2500 or RFM for $3000. Which one and why? Incidentally this is my first pin. LED's have been added to the TFTC. I am in Alberta, Canada so not exactly sure how the prices here compare to the rest of Canada or the USA. The RFM has been in a pub for the last four years.

#2 10 years ago

RFM had a TFTC own a RFM I do think that 3000 is a little high at the moment for RFM

#3 10 years ago

You do ?? RFM has easily been starting to climb into the $2500+ territory all day and night. There are a couple very nice examples of RFM for $2700+ both here and Mr. Pinball Classifieds.

The days of RFM being $2000 - $2500 are past us. It sucks, as RFM is definitely a pin I'm starting to look for and am ready to pay that kind of money. Will be the first pin I've ever gone over $2000 to get (#6). Sure, you can pay less and get less of a pin, but if you want one thats been well taken care of, with zero PF wear - especially for the SOL scoop - and with Nucore/upgraded LCD monitor = $3000+ all day long. I just checked Mr. Pinballs Classified - 13 examples in one year -all of them being $2750+ except a project RFM from pinwolf, which he made very clear is a project game.

Now granted, that's not what they "sold for" - but I guarantee you that the sellers are not knocking those prices down $700 - $1000 each.

TFTC is more of a $2000 - $2500 pin. I say this owning one. That DE badge is toxic; somehow, it keeps nearly all pins below $2500 with few climbing over that mark (at least here on Pinside).

As for which one to buy, and this is with me owning a TFTC - get RFM. Way more fun/bang for your buck. TFTC is a fun game, but it just - it lacks depth to me. You can tell that code was incomplete or something. You hit both ramps, and they do very little. They build up, but they don't offer any "finishing off mode" like MM or AFM do. They just basically go "Wooo....go you - you hit 4 ramps - here's some meaningless low-points for your troubles." It is a very "niche" pin - either you love it or hate it. After playing T3, man, TFTC is mean in comparison.

RFM is a real crowd pleaser. It is a pin everyone can have fun with - very good blend of aliens with Mars Attacks/Monty Python style of comedy. I totally love RFM, and will be ready to pay good money for a well-taken care of, plug-n-play example when the time comes.

#4 10 years ago

If you want gore go for tftc

#5 10 years ago

Id prefer you buy mine, lol but in the end thats your choice. Just be aware, I have done alot of work to this game with all leds, rubbers, posts, Cliffy, blades, switches, wiring/board repairs, etc. Make sure the RFM has been maintained and repaired or its going to end up costing alot more than mine when your done. Because its your first purchase, I just wanted you to keep that in mind. I wish I had when I bought my first!

-Spencer

#6 10 years ago

I've owned both and still have RFM. They're both great games. TFTC has a lot going for it, shaker motor, a few different multiballs, decent flow and pretty cool artwork on the playfield. It looks great with LEDs. RFM is totally unique and a cool milestone in pinball history. Oh, and it's a fun game to play and one of the funniest out there. If you have kids I'd give the nod to RFM. My oldest daughter (6) really digs it, much more than any other pin we've had. Otherwise, I'd let your budget, condition and personal preferences guide you.

I'd look to spend 1700-2200 for TFTC and 2700-3100 for RFM.

#7 10 years ago

If you ever have a motherboard, Prism card and/or serious monitor issue, you'll might wish the RFM you bought had Nucore--or wish you woulda bought TFTC...

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

If you ever have a motherboard, Prism card and/or serious monitor issue, you'll might wish the RFM you bought had Nucore--or wish you woulda bought TFFC...

If the Nucore boys ever get their act together, anyone who wishes to have Nucore may have it. That said, I don't think any of the components in RFM (that includes monitor and computer) are any less reliable or any more fussy than equivalent components (mpu, displays) in DMD games.

#9 10 years ago

Just buy both that's what I did.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

If you ever have a motherboard, Prism card and/or serious monitor issue, you'll might wish the RFM you bought had Nucore--or wish you woulda bought TFFC...

I think that is the classic FUD that might have spread when Nucore was released. I have owned RFM for 4 years without a problem.

I have had more problems with my TFTC than my RFM. And my RFM gets more use.

#11 10 years ago

I have both but prefer RFM by a long shot.

#12 10 years ago

Rfm is really loaded with multiball but it gets a little repetitive with most of the modes using the same shots.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from bam10:

Rfm is really loaded with multiball but it gets a little repetitive with most of the modes using the same shots.

That being said, looking to sell yours?

#14 10 years ago

I have both and recommend TFTC because it is not so repetitive like RFM. I love my RFM but it would get old fast if it was my only pin.

#15 10 years ago

Join the club TFTC. If you like the show your love the pin. It's one of DE best. Sure not a Bally or Williams but great 2 ramp shots, shaker, LEDs makes it near with colors, glows in black light, six n three ball multi ball. I have seen prices in states range from $2,200 to $2,800 for nice ones. $2,500 is not bad especially if can get local and avoid extra shipping cost like I did bec I searched for over 8 months to find one a year ago.

#16 10 years ago

My vote goes for TFTC

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from Jackontherocks:

I have seen prices in states range from $2,200 to $2,800 for nice ones. $2,500 is not bad.

Or you could buy the very nice example that's been listed here on pinside for $2000. Outside of October of any year, TFTC is really closer to a $2000 than $2500. And a great bargain in terms of fun at that price.

#18 10 years ago

I have TFTC and really like it, put LEDs in it and it really pops but the pf is pretty dark so I put 3 double spot lights on and now I can play it in a completly dark room. I may put a 4th one on.

#19 10 years ago

I have both currently. If I could only have one it would be tftc. That being said I don't plan on getting rid of either anytime soon.

#20 10 years ago

I've never really cared for RFM. It's fun/entertaining/humorous and very cool to play but... it has always felt like one big gimmick to me. There are way better pins out there for 2500-3000 if that's the going rate for the game in average shape. I would much rather have a NGG or RBION or Roadshow or Shadow.

#21 10 years ago

Have both as well. TFTC probably gets more play. I say buy both!

#22 10 years ago

TFTC would get my vote. Really love that game, but I enjoy RFM a lot too. To me, they are both closer to the $2500 range -- RFM at $3k seems a little high.

#23 10 years ago

RFM gets boring in a home environment. It's a game I would never buy unless it was crazy cheap. I had one on loan for awhile. The kids loved it, but I got bored of it rather quickly. It's a fun game, but not one I need to own.

I really like TFTC. I don't own one, but have played it enough to know I would add one to the collection at the right price. $2,500 doesn't seem too out of line based on the seller's post: shopped, new leds, new rubbers, new posts, Cliffy's, etc. I would still want to get it in the $2,200 range, if I was buying. At that price, I would grab it.

Cheers,
Duane

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 345.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

£ 32.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 18.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 18.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Playfield - Plastics
Mad Czar Games

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 15.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 18.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

7,500 (OBO)
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tales-from-the-crypt-versus-rfm-prices and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.