Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by OnTilt
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

T2OutGas.jpg
PA080849.JPG
PA080845.JPG
PA080844.JPG

#1 7 years ago

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has upgraded the ROMs for a TFTC and what the CPU and Display upgrades actually do.

Thanks!

#2 7 years ago

Mine are updated - I haven't noticed any particular differences whatsoever. I just prefer to have up-to-date roms as long as they don't dampen the functionality of the machine (XF for instance, newer roms = magnets don't work as often causing the filing cabinet to get pummeled by the pinballs).

#3 7 years ago

Updated ROMs change the Door video mode. Older roms have a predictable pattern. New ROMs are totally random.

#4 7 years ago

Was wondering if it may fix a slight dmd glitch. All lines work, just in some instances when the dmd uses darker text/numbers it's not fully visible.

Any suggestions?

#5 7 years ago

the later roms have random placement if points in Door Prize mode. The earlier ones have a set pattern.

#6 7 years ago

Your glitch sounds more like out gassing. If that's the case it's time for a new dmd. Post a picture of your dmd when it looks like this.

#7 7 years ago

The random door prizes is the only change I noticed when I upgraded a few months back.

#8 7 years ago

It seems fine for the most part but it fades when displaying the darker text. (See photos)

PA080844.JPG PA080845.JPG PA080849.JPG

#9 7 years ago

Time for a new dmd me thinks.

#10 7 years ago

I'll look to see if mine does the same thing, and report back.

#11 7 years ago

Whoa - yeah - your DMD is starting to bite it D: ... that looks like the early signs of out-gassing:

Taken from the Repairing DataEast Pinball Guide:

"Outgassed" Score Displays.

Score display glass has a limited life; it does not last forever. Time will eventually kill these, and the display will "outgas" and fail. Because of the high voltage involved with score displays, the anode and/or cathode inside the display glass breaks down. This results in the "outgassing" of impurities that eventually change the internal gas properties, so the display can't glow (the gas must be very pure for the display to work). There is no fix for this other than replacing the display glass (which has become fairly expensive now). Outgassing affects dot matrix displays very often, but it also applies to alpha-numeric displays too (see the alpha-numeric section below for more details).

An outgassed score display puts much higher electrical loads on the power supply. When a display starts to outgas, it should be replaced immediately! Otherwise, the repair may involve fixing a damaged (burnt) power supply, in addition to replacing the score display glass. "

T2OutGas.jpg

#12 7 years ago

The part that makes me wonder is the fact that there isn't a section that is always blacked out. It lights up with most text, and doesn't with the darker less bright text. Strange.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 26.50
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside