Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by db66mgr
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230429_151942 (resized).jpg
    #1 11 months ago

Gday Pinside
    My TFTC has an issue with pop bumpers and slingshots
    They all work and score but have only about 20% power
    I have installed 3 different power supply boards 2 playfield power supply boards and it turns out its on the MPU board
    All pop bumpers and slins 100% on a Rottendog board I've got as a tester
    I'm wondering if someone can tell me what transistors and resistors are related to pop bumpers and slingshots
    I'm bad at reading schematics but I can replace components on boards well Want to put the original MPU back in the machine
    Thanking anyone who helps in advance
    David

#2 11 months ago

This tech chart shows the transistors: http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/Tech_Charts/Data_East_Tales_From_The_Crypt_Tech_Chart.pdf

I’d suspect a ground issue since so many things are acting up.

#3 11 months ago

Gday YeOldPinPlayer
    Thanks for the link So the pops and slings are Q8-Q12 I've checked the transistors the resisters and capacitors with a multimeter all around there Followed lines on board checked other TIP 122 tranies All ok
    The only problem I found was C46 and C47 Two capacitors that look like resistors (to me because I know fuck all) There were another couple of these and they all had a value C46 and C47 were testing 1 or nothing
    Also found a pinside post that listed all components on DE MPU boards They are 1U ceramic axial capacitors But it didn't say any voltage
    So do you have any idea what it would be?
    I'll try and put a pic of them up
    Just hoping that might be the problem
    Thanks mate
    David

20230429_151942 (resized).jpg20230429_151942 (resized).jpg
    #4 11 months ago
    Quoted from db66mgr:

Also found a pinside post that listed all components on DE MPU boards They are 1U ceramic axial capacitors But it didn't say any voltage
    So do you have any idea what it would be?

It's marked 104 which according to this post https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-board-parts-list#post-3906413
    is a 0.1uf ceramic cap 50v

#5 11 months ago

Did the original MPU ever experience any battery leakage?

#6 11 months ago

Gday YeOldPinPlayer
    Thank you That's a different post from the one I saw It only said 1U no voltage Will pick them up when I go into town on Thursday
    In your previous post you mentioned a power issue What did you mean by that?
    Thanks again mate
    David

#7 11 months ago

Gday Frunch
    The MPU is all good No acid damage
    Still has the three AA batteries which are regularly changed Did put a Ramtron NVRAM in but kept resetting Obviously a bad ram but haven't bothered to get a new one Batteries work fine
    Board looks great Everything works fine except pops and slings
    Thanks for looking and answering
    David

#8 11 months ago
    Quoted from db66mgr:

In your previous post you mentioned a power issue What did you mean by that?

When a transistor fires a coil it generally does that by creating a path to ground. If that ground is compromised (loose screw, bad wire, broken connector…) and can’t carry the current you might get things that work but work poorly.

#9 11 months ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

When a transistor fires a coil it generally does that by creating a path to ground. If that ground is compromised (loose screw, bad wire, broken connector…) and can’t carry the current you might get things that work but work poorly.

I'm thinking on a similar level. Looking over the schematics, the ground for the coils on the MPU is shared by all the solenoid transistors on the board, and they all lead back to a 4-pin connector at CN13. Make sure that header is in good shape, probably worth reflowing the solder on the pins or replacing them.

Another question: are those coils weak when they fire in self-test as well as in gameplay? All the coils you're having trouble with are "switched solenoids" that use additional circuitry for rapid responses. It's possible if all the coil drive circuitry is good, it may come to the circuitry for the switches involved with them...

#10 11 months ago

Gday Frunch
    Unsoldered 1 pin on c46 and c47 and they have no value on multimeter So they're ok
    I'm going to resolver everything connected with CN13
    It has to be something there because I play TFTC every night with the Rottendog MPU and everything works fine
    Thank for the help Let you know after I resolver
    David

#11 11 months ago

Gday YeOldPinPlayer
    With the Rottendog MPU the pops and slings work fine I play it every night Don't watch TV I've got 6 machines But am playing TFTC a lot
    So ground issues wouldn't be a problem I'm guessing Correct me if I'm wrong
    Going to resolver everything around CN13 The transistors etc for the pops and slings are right there I'll let you know when I get it done
    Thanks mate
    David

2 weeks later
    #12 11 months ago

Gday guys
    Reflowed solder over that part of the board on the back Did all of front side except transistors No change Going to have to test the relay that's there also
    Might have to give up and send it to Ken Shipley He's got all the test equipment for DE Williams Bally Gottlieb etc
    Will try a few things first though
    David

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tales-from-the-crypt-power-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.