20190202_083320 (resized).jpg
20190202_083056 (resized).jpg
944320F9-EDBE-4E2E-9038-D90C7DDF4950 (resized).jpeg
B1DBBE58-BC7D-40F7-A76B-F26F22E3BF9E (resized).jpeg
CoinDrop (resized).jpg
Title (resized).jpg
DataEast (resized).jpg

#1 5 years ago

Just picked up a tales from the crypt for a good price, but I bought it with some known issues.

When I got it, it had some blown fuses and would not power up. I replaced the power supply, all the fuses, the cpu eprom and the display eprom, and rebuilt a few suspect looking connectors. After replacing all of that, it now boots and all the flashers and flippers work now.

I can trip the switches to make it think that a ball is in play and most everything is working on the playfield. The slings, bumpers, and ball save kicker all work, but coils for releasing a ball will not release a ball and the one that kicks it up to the shooter lane doesnt fire either if I just put a ball in it manually. Also the scoops kick out doesnt work, and the coil that launches the ball up behind the tombstone doesnt work either. Pressing the lever to launch the ball doesnt work either because that coil doesnt fire.

The shaker motor is working.

Also the DMD looks like its almost working, but is not. I am attaching a photo of how it is looking.

Where should I start looking to figure out why those coils dont work to kick out a ball to start the game and the other coils as well? And any tips on what might be going on with the DMD?

CoinDrop (resized).jpgCoinDrop (resized).jpgDataEast (resized).jpgDataEast (resized).jpgTitle (resized).jpgTitle (resized).jpg
1 month later
#3 5 years ago

Just a quick update for anyone interested. I replaced the MPU with a new one from rottendog, that makes the game play perfectly, but the Display still looks really bad.

I replaced a cap on the DMD board, but that didnt help.

The display looks almost usable when it starts up, but then after a few minutes its unrecognizable and the image is squished to only fill about 25% of the left hand side of the display.

I tested voltages at the connectors and replaced the power supply and they all seems to be correct.

Anyone have any ideas on what to try?

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from Beterthnyu:

Just a quick update for anyone interested. I replaced the MPU with a new one from rottendog, that makes the game play perfectly, but the Display still looks really bad.
I replaced a cap on the DMD board, but that didnt help.
The display looks almost usable when it starts up, but then after a few minutes its unrecognizable and the image is squished to only fill about 25% of the left hand side of the display.
I tested voltages at the connectors and replaced the power supply and they all seems to be correct.
Anyone have any ideas on what to try?

A new DMD? Do you have any other games you can swap DMDs to test?

#5 5 years ago

Can you post a picture of the DMD controller board that is attached to the back of the speaker panel behind the DMD? Also, I would try and seat the display ROM.

I'm also curious for a picture of the original MPU board.

#6 5 years ago

This is currently the only pin I have, so I don’t have another DMD to test with unfortunately.

I reflowed the dmd controller board and installed a new rom, no change in the problem though.

I attached photos of that board and the original MPU. I removed the battery holder because I have a remote one the replace it with.

If anyone wants that original MPU and remote battery holder they can have it for $100. Would help me out toward my DMD parts I’ll probably end up needing lol.

944320F9-EDBE-4E2E-9038-D90C7DDF4950 (resized).jpeg944320F9-EDBE-4E2E-9038-D90C7DDF4950 (resized).jpegB1DBBE58-BC7D-40F7-A76B-F26F22E3BF9E (resized).jpegB1DBBE58-BC7D-40F7-A76B-F26F22E3BF9E (resized).jpeg
#7 5 years ago

Looks like a nice clean game. Why not just upgrade to a color LED display and enjoy?

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from Beterthnyu:

If anyone wants that original MPU

I will take it. I could test out the DMD and the DMD controller for you, if you like.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinballmike217:

Looks like a nice clean game. Why not just upgrade to a color LED display and enjoy?

If the problem is on the DMD controller board, then the issue will still be with the ColorDMD.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#10 5 years ago

Just bought this.. over payed but I wanted it.. played about 100 games.. started blowing fuses (F4).. I had a blown Q3 transistor, replaced it.. put everything back in place..DMD was working perfectly.. now it flashes on startup.. and goes blank.. anybody have any idea where I might have messed up? I never touched the DMD.. it blows my mind and is way above my paygrade.... any help would be greatly appreciated

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptNRetro:

Just bought this.. over payed but I wanted it.. played about 100 games.. started blowing fuses (F4).. I had a blown Q3 transistor, replaced it.. put everything back in place..DMD was working perfectly.. now it flashes on startup.. and goes blank.. anybody have any idea where I might have messed up? I never touched the DMD.. it blows my mind and is way above my paygrade.... any help would be greatly appreciated

Check your ribbon cable...make sure you're not a pin off or backwards.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptNRetro:

Just bought this.. over payed but I wanted it.

Just bought A TFTC? Sounds like you stated you bought it from the OP.

I have overpaid for some projects and an occasiomal working game, but it is better than waiting for years for a certain title to pop up. When you talk worldwide, most titles are rare these days.

I am sure everyone has overpaid for at least one game.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Just bought A TFTC? Sounds like you stated you bought it from the OP.
I have overpaid for some projects and an occasiomal working game, but it is better than waiting for years for a certain title to pop up. When you talk worldwide, most titles are rare these days.
I am sure everyone has overpaid for at least one game.

He didn't buy mine lol. I'm still trying to get mine all up and running!

Hopefully you can help me figuring out this annoying DMD issue when you test it out.

Got my sound up and running with a new sound board which only leaves me with this DMD issue and I'll finally be able to enjoy this damn pin.

#14 5 years ago

Confusing... best if CaptNRetro started a new thread. Faults may be completely different.

#15 5 years ago

Your DMD controller tested good. DMD shows this in my T2. I suspect the U1 and U2 failed for the columns.

Going with a ColorDMD? Or will you want a regular DMD? I would have to look to see if there is a DMD I would be willing to sell.

20190202_083056 (resized).jpg20190202_083056 (resized).jpg20190202_083320 (resized).jpg20190202_083320 (resized).jpg

#16 5 years ago

Thanks again PinballManiac40 for testing it out for me, awesome guy.

Yeah I think you are right, if I remember correctly the one on the right looks a little rough doesnt it?

#17 5 years ago

Someone may have changed the U1 in the past.

#18 5 years ago

Sorry. I only have a DMD with a line out at the top and the far right.
Want me just to ship back your DMD controller board?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tales-from-the-crypt-issues-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.