n crescent 2 (resized).jpg
summit lake (resized).jpg
A126296C-8D9B-4ACD-94A6-42EA7CCE575A (resized).jpeg
E1601558-5ECE-404A-87B2-700F226B2372 (resized).jpeg
7026D457-C1C7-4225-98A4-5ADFCD47ECF4 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20230503_210521596 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230503_210529030 (resized).jpg
cjdisc (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrofnoc.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#226 7 years ago

Wish they would make a diesel option. I have an 08 JKU and besides being grossly under powered, it started spewing oil out the rear main seal before 100,000 miles. Other than that, I love it. Wondering if it's worth looking into a diesel conversion? Otherwise may trade it in for a 4x4 pick up w/ solid axles and throw a camper shell on it.

#228 7 years ago

Nice, may have to wait on that trade in then.

#230 7 years ago

No, but I've been meaning to. I moved down here from Nor Cal about 1.5 years ago. I lived in the Sierras (Arnold, Ca). I really liked just going on adventures via fire roads and hiking w/ my dog. Worked much better in the snow than my 04 STI did as well. Also found cool places to shoot guns and stuff . Not sure if I'm really into off roading. Been having fun on my sportbike speed raping fools on Angeles Crest Hwy in my spare time, but gotta quit those shenanigans for obvious reasons. So been debating what to do w/ the Jeep as it's a much safer hobby. Now that I know a diesel version is in the works, I'm going to hold off on throwing any money at it as I'll probably trade it in. What to do, what to do

#241 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

What 4x4 pickups have solid axles front and rear?

Somehow didn't see this when I replied. Doesn't ford still make pickups w/ solid axles front and rear?
I have some homework to do before considering letting go of my Jeep.
Also, I actually do like off roading if there is a destination. Pretty fun going places you know most people can't. Just not interested in wheeling just to see what I can get through. Since I moved down to So Cal I haven't gone off road once whereas I went almost everyday in the Nor Cal Sierras. Going to check out Cleghorn in the next week or two, maybe I just need to get back out there.

#242 7 years ago

Anyone done a diesel conversion? https://bruiserconversions.com/pages/diesel_conversions
After reading about the upcoming 2018 JL and seeing spy photos, I think I'd be better off keeping mine.

IMG_20130623_133550_136 (resized).jpgIMG_20130623_133550_136 (resized).jpg

#246 7 years ago

Well, was hoping to wait a bit on the diesel conversion to see the JL and know exactly what the specs are before I make a decision.
The look of the raked windshield is a turnoff. I like the square look of the JK. Ya, the windshield folding down is something I will never do.
It would be nice to have a factory diesel and it looks like it will have good power and fuel economy. The 4BT appears to be a 300 to 500K mile motor. Will the V6 diesel in the JL be comparable?
I would have a hard time spending more than 40k for a new Jeep. I have a 08 JKUR that was 36k when I got it. I believe they have gone up a bit since then. So here's to hoping it doesn't look ugly, the motor is good and it's sub 40k. And if that isn't the case, hopefully I'll still be able to find a 4BT.

1 week later
#257 7 years ago

Trade in or did you add to the fleet? I miss my STI, but the JK was a worthy swap. Congrats!

#268 7 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Get ready for the cummins crate engine retrofit!!
https://cumminsengines.com/repower

Hmmm! I would think it would have more torque, but if it is just a motor swap w/o having to change the transmission and have at least a 2.5" lift, I'm in. Thanks for the link! Will look into this more when I have time.

#290 7 years ago

I've got almost 60,000 miles on these and still going. http://www.nittotire.com/light-truck-tires/trail-grappler-mud-terrain-light-truck-tire/
Not noisy IMO on the street and amazing off road in dirt, mud and snow.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrofnoc.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taking-on-a-jeep-hobby?tu=mrofnoc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.