n crescent 2 (resized).jpg
summit lake (resized).jpg
A126296C-8D9B-4ACD-94A6-42EA7CCE575A (resized).jpeg
E1601558-5ECE-404A-87B2-700F226B2372 (resized).jpeg
7026D457-C1C7-4225-98A4-5ADFCD47ECF4 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20230503_210521596 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230503_210529030 (resized).jpg
cjdisc (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider atomicboy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#169 7 years ago

Here's my 2015 JKUR - 4" Teraflex, 37s Mickey's/Methods, 4.88s, Fox 2.0 reservoir, and of course tons of crap you can't see. F doors.

20160912_161511_resized - Copy (resized).jpg20160912_161511_resized - Copy (resized).jpg

20160912_162517_resized - Copy (resized).jpg20160912_162517_resized - Copy (resized).jpg

20160912_161449_resized - Copy (resized).jpg20160912_161449_resized - Copy (resized).jpg

4 months later
#294 7 years ago

I don't know why people buy these Rubi's with upgraded packages unless you plan to do no modifying. You pay way more than the extra stuff is worth given it's mopar, and other than the hood, it's all coming off anyway, and you don't get back the package price value. Those sliders don't work with the sweet rubi rail /ace slider combo either.

Congrats though Rob.

9 months later
#339 6 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Just not true at all, other than the sliders. The vast majority of people who buy the Hard Rock stay with the stock bumpers, front and back. The back bumper already has the hole to add a swing mount tire carrier too.
I obviously priced out a normal Rubicon before buying the HR. Bottom line: it actually would have been stupid for me not to buy the HR considering how much more you get for your money.
Here is all the stuff included in the HR package, that you would have to add separately or after market if you get the regular Rubicon:
Leather seats (heated)
Steel Front Bumper
Steel Rear Bumper
Extra tow hook rear
Vented Hood
9 speaker Alpine stereo with subwoofer
Rock Rails
Fuel Door
Slush Mats
Steel Skid Plate
Info/Msg Center
Connectivity Group
Uconnect with voice command
So the sticker was about $2k more for the HR vs a regular Rubicon. Just the hood alone was worth it for me. If I got a regular Rubi I would have ordered that hood. By the time I had it painted, it would have been $1600.00 or so just for the hood alone.
When I first started looking I didn't think I wanted leather. Then everyone told me that leather was actually much better than cloth because it was so much easier to clean than the cloth, which just grabs and holds on to the dirt.

Just seeing this now... most of this stuff you noted can get in any model, lol factory steel skid plate? they are a joke. The rock rails, are not strong enough, and you will screw your pinch seam. I run the Ace sliders with chopped rubi rails, and the the two protect better than any others I've seen, including the RS, which was my second choice. If you run those factory bumper, more power to you, as with larger tires, you need an after market carrier anyway. The front hardly matters, just preference, but again, haven't seen anyone keep the factory one, as they always seem to go with something more interesting. The only thing a Rubicon is good for, for someone doing serious rock crawling is lockers, transfer case and front d44. The rest is almost always replaced for anyone doing a serious build, and if it's not, you're not using it hard enough. I tried to be lazy with the elec disconnect, but invert them too easily on some stuff, and might as well rip that out as well, as I only manual disc now.

I smash the F out of everything, but ripped out the bumpers, complete suspension, and factory skids, and went with full solid metal everything, other than the stupid bushwacker flares I chose, which have all been torn off a few times now, and will be replaced over the winter. Every trip I'm touching up the paint on the armour, but it's worth it. I do the most insane stuff I can find, and love it. Best hobby I've been in by far to date.

#342 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

The HardRock (recon now?) has the metal bumpers and "upgraded" mopar rock sliders. The front bumper has the sections you can remove on the ends to allow the front tires to be open... The HR (I also own) is actually a really well modded jeep for a OEM option. Obviously aftermarket will/can have better options. But I don't crawl so this is amazing for my needs.

Those sliders are just the rubi rails with another small bar welded on, better than nothing, but again, will lead to damage if you have to rest all the weight there or hit them hard enough.

BTW you should get out there and crawl with it. I wasn't sure how much I would be into this all, thought before I did the first one maybe it would be a 1-2 times a year thing, but man oh man, it's addictive. It's unbelievable the tank the TC and lockers turn your street vehicle into out there, blows my mind every trip.

6 months later
#389 5 years ago

Couple weekends back I did Timbers 3 in Ontario. The most destructive and technical trail to my knowledge in Ontario. Bunch of rocks spit down the side of a hill, 4 hours for 6 of us to basically go 200 meters each up and down. Constant grinding and smashing. This trail, if you can even call it that, is responsible for more driveshaft and dif openings than anything else near us. Flops are a high risk at many of the extremely off-camber areas you cannot go around. I dented my rear DS and tore off the boot, knocked in one side of a rear control arm bracket, and smashed the crap out of my sliders and skids, so it was a good day with nothing major! Pictures never do obstacles justice as some of you will know, but here's a few of my pig for anyone interested.

20180520_135844 (resized).jpg20180520_135844 (resized).jpg20180520_140109 (resized).jpg20180520_140109 (resized).jpg20180520_140148 (resized).jpg20180520_140148 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#390 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Video from our run at Pilot Rock Truck Trail. At the 50 second mark you can hear what I thought at the time was my rear tire rubbing on a fender, but as it turned out, it was actually the rear axle hitting my gas tank skid plate

The second half of that looks like some fun stuff, I love the big rock with lots of off camber. Did you try it? I don't see your jeep in any of it? How far are you travelling to this stuff? I'm 4 hours from all our good rock.

haha it's funny that we've both moved to this. I can't get enough, but have to become a trailer queen soon, as I've already broken once on the trail and need to be able to deal with that in a much less expensive manner.

4 months later
#406 5 years ago
Quoted from mkecasey:

I just picked up a Jeep Compass last month. I know it isn't one of the cool jeeps, but can I still hang with the Jeep club?

Solid axles only!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider atomicboy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taking-on-a-jeep-hobby?tu=atomicboy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.