n crescent 2 (resized).jpg
summit lake (resized).jpg
A126296C-8D9B-4ACD-94A6-42EA7CCE575A (resized).jpeg
E1601558-5ECE-404A-87B2-700F226B2372 (resized).jpeg
7026D457-C1C7-4225-98A4-5ADFCD47ECF4 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20230503_210521596 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230503_210529030 (resized).jpg
cjdisc (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TOK.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#116 7 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

I chose the 2016 off-road Tacoma over the Wrangler. I will be looking for an older Wrangler later this year. The Tacoma has the off road capabilities of the Wrangler and is better on the interstate.

Well, you got the interstate part correct (fellow Tacoma and JK owner)! You were just kidding about the other part, right?

jeep_piper (resized).jpgjeep_piper (resized).jpg

1 week later
#151 7 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

I see many of you are missing the ultimate Jeep accessory: the Samsung Note 7:
http://www.fox13news.com/news/local-news/203295058-story

These are no joke! I think the FAA has now banned usage/recharging them on aircraft. Not sure how they intend to police that, but this phone is a problem!

#168 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

How well does something like that drive down the road? I would imagine pretty rough.

Thats kind of a leftover idea from the leaf spring days. I was amazed at how my JK rode when I test drove it, and the 2.5" lift and 35's didn't hurt it at all. If there is any bad habit, its the tires following grooves in the road. Mine's a 2 door too, so its about as skittish as they get... no problem at all!

4 months later
#224 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I don't think so.
Nice Jeeps!

Doesn't have to be a JK or a 4 door to be an Unlimited.

tj unlimited (resized).jpegtj unlimited (resized).jpeg

#231 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

The new platform, JL, will be a model year 2018. They will have a diesel option.
What 4x4 pickups have solid axles front and rear?

I think Dodge Power Wagon may be the last one with a solid front axle on a pickup (at least one that isn't just made for towing 15,000 lbs).

#245 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I'm curious as to what you read and saw with regard to the JL that made you decide to keep your current Jeep?
I can't tell much from the spy photos as they have all the camo all over them. I know the front windshield will have more of a rake to it, and will not drop forward onto the hood anymore. I think people are worried about whether the platform will be as robust as the current, as they are likely to make it lighter for better fuel economy. The diesel will be offered partly to help them meet CAFE standards.

Yep, its still full frame and solid axles. Probably the mildest evolution when you compare how the CJ, YJ, TJ and JK evolved. The folding windshield is a joke with the JK anyhow, you have to take the sport bar apart and its so curved that it doesn't lay flat. Pointless.

I think the main problem is that Rubicon with a Diesel is going to be nudging 50k.

1 week later
#258 7 years ago
Quoted from jalkelly:

Super jealous. Looks awesome, Rob! I caught the Jeep bug bad recently, but pretty sure I'm going to wait and see the JL.
Just curious, what was the tipping point to get you to buy a JK now as opposed to waiting? Too good a deal to pass up? Wondering how aggressive the dealers are getting since it seems the demand is always there.

They're still selling as many as they can build and the first couple years of any new Chrysler are usually a nightmare. He did the right thing!

#269 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Oh, one other reason that I felt like I wanted to move a bit quicker: they stopped making the Hard Rock edition. It is being replaced by the "RECON" edition, which is basically still a Hard Rock, but the front grill is a dark gray, they have an ugly RECON sticker on the hood, and an ugly black decal on the center of the hood. I didn't care for the looks at all.

I think this model started with the Rubicon X... Since they could only have one 10th anniversary but its a great option package it keeps getting minor tweaks and renamed. I like the Recon, but prefer a body color grille and matte stickers never hold up. They'll fade to crap within 2 years.

#270 7 years ago

Oops quoted myself. Sorry

#271 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Bingo.
This really is what it came down to for me in the final analysis. As much as I wanted to wait to see what the JL had to offer, in the end I realized a few things regarding that wait: 1) Even if I like what I saw (looks, specs etc.) buying a first year new platform vehicle from Chrysler is pretty much universally accepted as a bad idea 2) one of the things I would have been interested in regarding the JL is the Diesel, but many people on the forums are saying that the Diesel won't even be offered in the 2018 JL...meaning I would have to wait at least 2 more years 3) The current JK platform is proven, I know exactly what I'm getting 4) The aftermarket parts support for the JK is amazing...to the point of being overwhelming.

I was ready to buy a JK in 2010, then read about it getting the Pentastar so I waited.

My wallet was burning by 2012 when they put it in, but waited again. Thank god I trusted my instincts because even though the Pentastar had been in other Chryslers for years, there were immediate reports of bad cylinder heads and heater cores plugged with goop from either improperly cleaned blocks or the dealership accidentally mixing normal with organic coolant.

I finally bought mine in March of 2013, and really glad I held off.

#276 7 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

ya the 3.8 wasn't the best engine in the JK/JKU...... Glad you waited I bet This 3.6 is pretty nice!

I'm running 35's with 3.73's, I could use another 50 horsepower.

#281 7 years ago

Chrysler still uses and ancient speed density sensor instead of mass air. GM and Ford abandoned speed density in the 80's.
I read nightmare after nightmare with supercharging Pentastar Jeeps because you're relying on some hard-mapped aftermarket tune when you add any kind of boost.

#288 7 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

It's a moderate hum. Not too bad. I don't really notice it around town. At highway speeds, I feel like the wind noise is louder than the tires. I've had Goodyear MTRs(non-kevlar) and Duratracs. They all made about the same noise.
Your BFG's will start to get louder after you get some miles on them.

I have Duratracs now, and they're very quiet. My one concern with them would be thin sidewalls if you're in a rocky area. I guess the upside is that they're light. I have about 8000 miles on mine, and the tread itself is wearing like iron!

#298 7 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

I don't know why people buy these Rubi's with upgraded packages unless you plan to do no modifying. You pay way more than the extra stuff is worth given it's mopar, and other than the hood, it's all coming off anyway, and you don't get back the package price value. Those sliders don't work with the sweet rubi rail /ace slider combo either.
Congrats though Rob.

There are 2 things you only get with the Rubicon, the front Dana 44 and the lower ratio transfer case. If you pay an extra $3500 for a Rubicon, you'll get every dime of it back on resale.

Edit... Think I misunderstood your post. Originally thought you meant not buying Rubicon over a Sport instead of Rubicon over a Hard Rock.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TOK.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taking-on-a-jeep-hobby?tu=TOK and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.