n crescent 2 (resized).jpg
summit lake (resized).jpg
A126296C-8D9B-4ACD-94A6-42EA7CCE575A (resized).jpeg
E1601558-5ECE-404A-87B2-700F226B2372 (resized).jpeg
7026D457-C1C7-4225-98A4-5ADFCD47ECF4 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20230503_210521596 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230503_210529030 (resized).jpg
cjdisc (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Bull.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#234 7 years ago

My toy, and my wife's in the back.

Mine is a 46 CJ-2A mostly all original with NOS front fenders.

Hers is a 2009.

I think I always had a Jeep in my driveway for the last 20 years! Had quit a few YJs and the wife always had Cherokees up until the wrangler.

IMG_0573 (resized).JPGIMG_0573 (resized).JPG

3 years later
#538 3 years ago

I have always had a Jeep or three in my driveway for the last 25 years.

What I can remember I have had almost every body style of the CJs including YJs and TJs

Here is my last one I have right now. 46 CJ-2a. Completely original except 12v system. I have had it for 25 years and will always be in my garage! My favorite by far.

It is on the trailer because I moved recently and it hadn’t run in a few years because of my divorce. However after a fresh battery and gas it started in about 3 cranks.

Also in a picture of my 94 that I rolled. Hit ice slid sideways, launched off of a 30 cliff. Walked a way with a broke shoulder from the seat belt, but the seat belt saved my life.

Pink Floyd comfortably numb was playing in the CD player ironically!!!

342E7023-14E7-4FA1-A51E-53DB1A4FB075 (resized).jpeg342E7023-14E7-4FA1-A51E-53DB1A4FB075 (resized).jpeg18CE878F-DA39-472A-9076-D5DBF7CECA18 (resized).jpeg18CE878F-DA39-472A-9076-D5DBF7CECA18 (resized).jpegF0D3DC10-0746-408D-BB56-AC28B78C9FAB (resized).jpegF0D3DC10-0746-408D-BB56-AC28B78C9FAB (resized).jpeg
#540 3 years ago

I also should have stated when I said completely original the drive train and most of the body. Different front bumper and parking lights.

1 month later
#563 3 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

[quoted image]
Getting ready to pull the engine out of "Rat Patrol" (my project '47 CJ2A Willys). Have #4 exhaust valve stuck open & the rear manifold stud snapped off in the block. Got the starter, generator, & the top four bellhousing to engine bolts removed tonight.
60 thundering horsepower in that 134 flathead "go devil" four!
Keeping it stock, with the exception of adding a hand start crank nut. It was optional.

If you need a hand crank nut I may have one I could ship you. Every parts Jeep I have bought had one oddly. It may take me a bit but I think I have 2 on my shelf.

Looks like you are doing it right. But a friend of mine pulled a 48 out of a field that sat for at least 30 years with a completely seized engine and valves, pulled the head. Proceeded to beat the cylinders with a 2x4 if I remember right. Freed the engine and worked the valves with sea foam, replaced the head and it is still running to this day.

That kind of thing never happens for me!

Have fun and good luck!

#564 3 years ago

Kind of a funny story about my 46

Was at a Jeep show and obstacle course type thing. I skipped the trail ride.

But anyway on the obstacle course, of course I failed miserably but had fun. You need a parking lot to to a cj2a around as the turning radius sucks. Suspension is so stiff I barely made it up the articulation ramp. And so on..

But the last one was a slow crawl challenge some guy with a big fancy YJ with dual transfer cases and low gears was running his mouth saying no one will beat me I can walk beside me Jeep.

I told him I would blow him out of the water. He said you havent done anything yet want to bet on that. I said sure. I can’t remember but I think it was $20.

Most people were doing the crawl in something like 30 seconds.

Just to be an ass when the hot head got up he put it in gear jumped out and walked beside his Jeep all proud.

I was last. So I showed him up. Bumped my idle down as low as it would keep running low range first gear. Jumped out and crawled beside mine.

Beat him by almost a minute

Everyone was cheering and laughing.

It was all in good fun.

Moral off the story even though the 134 is only 60 HP. You could probably pull a house of a foundation with it!!! Just don’t try to drive fast!!!

1 week later
#573 3 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

We need pics of what's happening on the Odin Jeep. I cannot imagine a V8 in my old Willys. With that short wheelbase, 2315# curb weight & the stock sloppy steering it would be downright scary. -- Not to mention the manual single master cylinder 9" drum brakes, but they were common back when I was in high school.
Maybe updated to 11" drums if you were lucky.

The 9” were completely fine as long as you we sensible driving the Jeep, and knew how to grab gears.

It is when people think that 70 year old technology is going to work as today’s standards they get in trouble!!!

It is all common sense.

Use gears and don’t heat up the shoes and you will be fine!!!

Also my 46 steering is as tight as my F150, just proper maintenance and not letting things go to long. Knowing how to maintain bell cranks and bushing is all the steering is about.

#574 3 years ago
Quoted from Bull:

The 9” were completely fine as long as you we sensible driving the Jeep, and knew how to grab gears.
It is when people think that 70 year old technology is going to work as today’s standards they get in trouble!!!
It is all common sense.
Use gears and don’t heat up the shoes and you will be fine!!!
Also my 46 steering is as tight as my 3 year old F150, just proper maintenance and not letting things go to long. Knowing how to maintain bell cranks and bushing is all the steering is about.

#577 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

We used to take my 48 CJ2A to two local places with lots of mud and water. That's when those 9 inch drum brakes become worthless. When they get wet.
Using gears can control the Jeep until you start climbing a muddy hill with those wet brakes.
That J-4000 truck also had drums all around. First thing I did when I got back from driving Highway 1 south from Oregon was convert the fronts to disk. That's one sketchy highway.

Ohh I agree 100 percent about mud and everything! You can destroy any drums with water and especially mud.

I was just talking average driving, it just drives me crazy our cars almost have to be smarter than us now.

Self driving, collision control, lane safety!

Part of me agrees it isn’t horrible to have all these safety features, but part of me isn’t happy you can’t hardly find a 20 year old that knows how to drive a manual tranny or even what’s to learn, let alone use brakes as intended, meaning don’t come to a stop sign and expect they will always stop you!!

Stuff happens, defensive driving as I was always told.

Get off my lawn now!!!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Bull.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taking-on-a-jeep-hobby?tu=Bull and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.