4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 626 posts
  • 125 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 hours ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 34 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 362 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSCN7135 (resized).JPG
DSCN7134 (resized).JPG
DSCN7126 (resized).JPG
DSCN7124 (resized).JPG
DSCN7123 (resized).JPG
download (resized).jpeg
rat (resized).jpg
IMG_9906 (Medium) (resized).jpg
Trans (resized).jpg
DisfiguredHarmfulHorsefly-max-1mb.gif
download (resized).png
IMG_9897 (Medium) (resized).jpg
DSCN7105 (resized).JPG
luc-10631_ml (resized).jpg
Cleo (resized).jpg
DSCN7098 (resized).JPG

There are 626 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 13.
#601 10 days ago

Miles? This happened 15 minutes after start up during break in. That's when I started hearing it. And yes, the lifters rotate smoothly in their bores. Nothing wrong with any of the original AMC equipment I am working with. Perhaps I didn't inspect all the cam lobes as carefully as I should have.

What I think it boils down to, is there are a lot of seconds and perhaps rejected parts that get re-boxed and put back up for sale by vendors all over the country. When it says "last one", that should be a clear indicator. This cam kit wasn't marked as such, but it was the only one I could find available without waiting another month and a half.

No worries, I'm 70% there.

#602 10 days ago
Quoted from o-din:

Miles? This happened 15 minutes after start up during break in. That's when I started hearing it. And yes, the lifters rotate smoothly in their bores. Nothing wrong with any of the original AMC equipment I am working with. Perhaps I didn't inspect all the cam lobes as carefully as I should have.
What I think it boils down to, is there are a lot of seconds and perhaps rejected parts that get re-boxed and put back up for sale by vendors all over the country. When it says "last one", that should be a clear indicator. This cam kit wasn't marked as such, but it was the only one I could find available without waiting another month and a half.
No worries, I'm 70% there.

That's a shame. Sorry you have to hassle with it.
Still nothing from the shop on my Willys block.

#603 10 days ago

All things considered, the lower end seems to be in good balance with the new flywheel and piston, the valve job second to none, clutch works great, and it ran as good as any I have built so far. For one glorious moment, I took it up the hill yesterday, and it threw me back into the seat as I opened it up. These V8 CJs can be both scary and fun if you let them.

What do we expect during a 100 year pandemic working on 40 year old junk with the latest and greatest parts, perfection?

#604 10 days ago

Notice how almost the entire engine sits behind the front axle.

DSCN7098 (resized).JPG

#605 10 days ago

Nice, a jeep thread. I have noticed that quite a few pinball folks that I meet have Jeeps. I use mine as a pin-hauler. I just hate when you buy a game with no keys.

Cleo (resized).jpg
#606 10 days ago

At least yours runs.

#607 10 days ago

Good news since I purchased that cam kit from an E-bay seller, they have already sent me a return label for a refund. And it wasn't cheap, but was what I had had success with in the past, so I ordered another.

I am learning part of the problem is zinc has been removed from most modern motor oils, so I also ordered some of this as well, hoping the end result will be better this time around.

I am only out a few gaskets and a little time that I have plenty of, so it was no real reason to get upset. Except the fact that I had meticulously assembled the engine the first time with the best parts I could find. As long as the Jeep is ready come the rainy season. I'm good.

luc-10631_ml (resized).jpg
#608 9 days ago
Quoted from o-din:

Except the fact that I had meticulously assembled the engine the first time with the best parts I could find. As long as the Jeep is ready come the rainy season. I'm good.

Practice makes perfect

#609 9 days ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Practice makes perfect

Sure, why not. I was hoping by now at least someone would have it down to a science.

DSCN7105 (resized).JPG
#610 9 days ago

Decided to drop the transmission / transfer case to inspect & reseal.
IMG_9897 (Medium) (resized).jpg

Looks like it been more than a few years since this has been out -

#611 7 days ago
Quoted from dasvis:

As you know the lifters are supposed to rotate in their holes, if not it can cause accelerated wear

Camshaft 101. I found the missing part of the equation was the lobes on the camshaft have no taper. Should have been obvious to the installer?

download (resized).png

The dude replicating these in the far east must have not gotten the memo. Taper.

DisfiguredHarmfulHorsefly-max-1mb.gif

#612 7 days ago
Quoted from o-din:

Camshaft 101. I found the missing part of the equation was the lobes on the camshaft have no taper. Should have been obvious to the installer?
[quoted image]
The dude replicating these in the far east must have not gotten the memo. Taper.
[quoted image]

Yup -
Exactly. I was looking at this on my Willys before I tore it down. Even just turning it over by hand you can watch the tappets rotate. Easy to see on an L-head engine.

#613 7 days ago

The new camshaft is on the porch in a box right now. I'm hoping round two goes better, but I'm not holding my breath. Either what I got was a Chinese knockoff, or Edelbrock is no longer what it once was. At least I know to look this time. Not something you would expect they would fk up.

But apparently, according to my buddy at the machine shop, a lot of replacement cams are doing the same thing during break in. He won't even sell camshafts, and customers are pretty much on their own. He has informed me Melling still makes a good product, so that is what I am going with if round two is a fail.

#614 7 days ago

Trans (resized).jpg
IMG_9906 (Medium) (resized).jpg

Transmission looks fairly decent with the shift tower off, at least it's not a ball of rust. Can't get the damn pin out to remove the transfer case shift levers.
Looks like I'm going to have to jack it way up & manhandle the tranny, transfer case & levers out the hard way.

rat (resized).jpg

Custom stencil work on the side... Leaving body as is.

#615 7 days ago
Quoted from o-din:

The new camshaft is on the porch in a box right now. I'm hoping round two goes better, but I'm not holding my breath. Either what I got was a Chinese knockoff, or Edelbrock is no longer what it once was. At least I know to look this time. Not something you would expect they would fk up.
But apparently, according to my buddy at the machine shop, a lot of replacement cams are doing the same thing during break in. He won't even sell camshafts, and customers are pretty much on their own. He has informed me Melling still makes a good product, so that is what I am going with if round two is a fail.

Like I said before - most of the good old name brand companies have been bought up by big money grubbing corporations & they are just using the past good name & reputation & putting offshore products in the box. Seen it many times.

It's been 15 years since I have been in the biz, but we sold Melling & it was always good product. --- at least back in the day.

#616 7 days ago

Edit- I just broke out some delicate measuring equipment and it looks like the new cam does have aprox. .0015 to .002 taper on at least the first couple lobes I have inspected. Not obvious to the eye like I thought I remembered, but there. What's left of the other one has none.

I'll report back when I burn this one up.... or not.

#617 3 days ago

Working my ass off cleaning out & organizing my garage so i can get the Willys in there this winter to work on it. It had to sit out under a cover all last winter & nothing got done!.
Stopped by the machine shop again today, still nothing on the block yet. He promised next week - we will see.

#618 1 day ago
Quoted from o-din:

Edit- I just broke out some delicate measuring equipment and it looks like the new cam does have aprox. .0015 to .002 taper on at least the first couple lobes I have inspected. Not obvious to the eye like I thought I remembered, but there. What's left of the other one has none.
I'll report back when I burn this one up.... or not.

So what's the poop on the jeep engine?

#619 1 day ago
Quoted from dasvis:So what's the poop on the jeep engine?

download (resized).jpeg

Second time's the charm. Probably had a lot to do with the oil.

This thing's got more power than I'll ever need.

DSCN7123 (resized).JPG
DSCN7124 (resized).JPG

#620 1 day ago

Now dealing with the fuel and oil gauges and junk aftermarket parts that are available. It's almost becoming a never ending waste of time, which fortunately I have plenty of.

#621 22 hours ago

No power steering or brakes. No smog, title, no insurance. Just 300+ horsepower and a new clutch. 2020 in a nutshell.

Made it to the top of the hill lickety split. And coming down, pot holes and other road damage were a breeze. A view from above somewhere.
DSCN7126 (resized).JPG

#622 22 hours ago

Clean engine install Odin, looks great. Are you going to run Bilstein shocks on it?

#623 21 hours ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Are you going to run Bilstein shocks on it?

I always liked KYBs. Rancho at one time had it going on.

Why don't I get spring over Dana 60s front and rear, perhaps a few inches wider with Detroit lockers?

#624 7 hours ago

https://www.powertrax.com/product-info/lock-right-locker-traction-system/

I'm thinking on these front & rear on my Willys. Kind of a stealth mod.

Grandpas jeep is running these, look at the youtube on his Moab runs. His jeep is what I am Hoping to emulate. Patina & all

#626 2 hours ago
Quoted from dasvis:

https://www.powertrax.com/product-info/lock-right-locker-traction-system/

I'm thinking on these front & rear on my Willys. Kind of a stealth mod.

Ever since those came out in the late 90s, there have been mixed reviews about using parts in a box that use the existing carrier and pin vs a bonafide locker. I am considering an on demand electric myself or a regular Detroit. Down the road for sure. Back in the day, I just used to source limited slips from junkyards and they served the purpose cheaply.

Since I am a smog tech, the temptation has always been there to cheat, but never had I done that. Fortunately, the AMC V8 never used any kind of computer control until the end of the road in 1991. They just added more hoses and other crap as the years went on. 1977 had very little of that beyond the basics and these parts I pulled off the '88 Wagoneer 360 I used will come in handy as somebody stripped most of the emissions components off my CJ7. Gotta smog it before I can complete the transfer and get my title.

Of course there are several outlets selling shiny new versions of many of the older parts.

https://teamgrandwagoneer.com/air-injection-manifold-pipes-v8-gw-1974-1991/

DSCN7134 (resized).JPGDSCN7135 (resized).JPG
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 154.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 18.95
$ 26.95
$ 150.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Great American Pinball
$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
$ 7,599.99
$ 12.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
COINTAKER.COM
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 24.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Special When Lit
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Playfield - Other
Gameroom Mods
$ 6,200.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 5,699.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 14.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 2.50
Various Other Swag
UpKick Pinball
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
There are 626 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 13.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside