n crescent 2 (resized).jpg
summit lake (resized).jpg
A126296C-8D9B-4ACD-94A6-42EA7CCE575A (resized).jpeg
E1601558-5ECE-404A-87B2-700F226B2372 (resized).jpeg
7026D457-C1C7-4225-98A4-5ADFCD47ECF4 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20230503_210521596 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230503_210529030 (resized).jpg
cjdisc (resized).jpg
There are 853 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 18.
#551 3 years ago
Quoted from jalkelly:

My dream would be to have a Renegade like this some day.

Perhaps that is what my latest one looked like at one time. The '86 I had was one of the rare end of run ones that had a Dana 44 axle and with that 401 it could really git it.

But Jeeps are more about gearing than power and unfortunately being a later model it had rather high axle gears. Great for freeway and the T-18 four speed with the granny low gear more than compensated when crawling.

I'd like to say I miss it, but I got a new one now.

#552 3 years ago

Heads weren't ready, but crankshaft was, so I installed it today. Platiguage showed up in the mail right when I got home so I verified at least so far the main bearings have the perfect clearance. Nice. Pistons go back in tomorrow.

Back in the day, I found the Edelbrock Performer Plus camshaft and lifter kit was a quality package that could wake these AMC V8s up and give them more grunt and low end torque, but at the same time a smooth idle and no emission problems or valve train modifications required. And their True Roller timing chain and gears were a super upgrade that got rid of all slop and were almost guaranteed to outlast me.

So why do anything different now?
DSCN7004 (resized).JPGDSCN7004 (resized).JPGDSCN7005 (resized).JPGDSCN7005 (resized).JPG

#553 3 years ago

IMG_3445 (Medium) (resized).JPGIMG_3445 (Medium) (resized).JPG

Getting ready to pull the engine out of "Rat Patrol" (my project '47 CJ2A Willys). Have #4 exhaust valve stuck open & the rear manifold stud snapped off in the block. Got the starter, generator, & the top four bellhousing to engine bolts removed tonight.

60 thundering horsepower in that 134 flathead "go devil" four!

Keeping it stock, with the exception of adding a hand start crank nut. It was optional.

#554 3 years ago

I had an F-head and the only advice I can give if you ever remove the engine or flywheel is you will need two new of those tapered bolts that hold the flywheel to the crank. They will break upon reinstall. You can probably still get them at your local Willys Overland dealer.

Quoted from dasvis:

the rear manifold stud snapped off in the block.

Had that happen too. Life's a bitch!

#555 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I had an F-head and the only advice I can give if you ever remove the engine or flywheel is you will need two new of those tapered bolts that hold the flywheel to the crank. They will break upon reinstall. You can probably still get them at your local Willys Overland dealer.

Had that happen too. Life's a bitch!

Yeah, all of the Willys resto stores have them.

#556 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

WARNING- IT'S A JEEP THING, YOU MAY NOT UNDERSTAND

For sure

#557 3 years ago

I have a ‘19 Moab. Love it. Took a ‘20 Gladiator Rubi for a test drive. Totally awesome. Would love to get one. Longer wheelbase gives it better ride. Lots to love about it. Makes it easier to haul more than one pin, lol. Just a great vehicle.

#558 3 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Yeah, all of the Willys resto stores have them.

I figured as much. I was amazed how easy they were to get even in the early 80s. Even more amazed how easy they broke. Probably why they were and are easy to get.

It is that broken exhaust stud in the rear of the block that is the bitch. I think it goes into a coolant jacket. I broke an easy off in mine. The end repair was hardly conventional, but it worked.
UnlawfulIncompleteArachnid-max-1mb.gifUnlawfulIncompleteArachnid-max-1mb.gif

#559 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I figured as much. I was amazed how easy they were to get even in the early 80s. Even more amazed how easy they broke. Probably why they were and are easy to get.
It is that broken exhaust stud in the rear of the block that is the bitch. I think it goes into a coolant jacket. I broke an easy off in mine. The end repair was hardly conventional, but it worked.
[quoted image]

Yeah, that's the one... of course the ONLY stud you can't get to easily as it's too close to the firewall. Oh well, the engine is fairly easy to remove & I have a lot of other things that are easier to address with the motor out.

#560 3 years ago

Here's my '45 Willys CJ2A with column shift. Harley loves to go for rides when I pull this thing out on a nice day.

IMG_20200405_161454 (resized).jpgIMG_20200405_161454 (resized).jpg
#561 3 years ago

I bought a 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude last year and love it. I've had 2 previous Jeeps and so has my wife.

My Jeep had an engine start/stop feature (ESS) which shuts the engine off. I hated it (especially when the air-conditioning is on) and saw on a Jeep forum that a guy makes a switch that plugs into the diagnostic port or under your seat. It basically remembers what button you have pressed last. Worth every penny.

https://www.smartstopstart.com/

#562 3 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

I bought a 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude last year and love it. I've had 2 previous Jeeps and so has my wife.
My Jeep had an engine start/stop feature (ESS) which shuts the engine off. I hated it (especially when the air-conditioning is on) and saw on a Jeep forum that a guy makes a switch that plugs into the diagnostic port or under your seat. It basically remembers what button you have pressed last. Worth every penny.
https://www.smartstopstart.com/

Yep a tazer jl can do that and more for anyone else that gets overly annoyed by it.

#563 3 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

[quoted image]
Getting ready to pull the engine out of "Rat Patrol" (my project '47 CJ2A Willys). Have #4 exhaust valve stuck open & the rear manifold stud snapped off in the block. Got the starter, generator, & the top four bellhousing to engine bolts removed tonight.
60 thundering horsepower in that 134 flathead "go devil" four!
Keeping it stock, with the exception of adding a hand start crank nut. It was optional.

If you need a hand crank nut I may have one I could ship you. Every parts Jeep I have bought had one oddly. It may take me a bit but I think I have 2 on my shelf.

Looks like you are doing it right. But a friend of mine pulled a 48 out of a field that sat for at least 30 years with a completely seized engine and valves, pulled the head. Proceeded to beat the cylinders with a 2x4 if I remember right. Freed the engine and worked the valves with sea foam, replaced the head and it is still running to this day.

That kind of thing never happens for me!

Have fun and good luck!

#564 3 years ago

Kind of a funny story about my 46

Was at a Jeep show and obstacle course type thing. I skipped the trail ride.

But anyway on the obstacle course, of course I failed miserably but had fun. You need a parking lot to to a cj2a around as the turning radius sucks. Suspension is so stiff I barely made it up the articulation ramp. And so on..

But the last one was a slow crawl challenge some guy with a big fancy YJ with dual transfer cases and low gears was running his mouth saying no one will beat me I can walk beside me Jeep.

I told him I would blow him out of the water. He said you havent done anything yet want to bet on that. I said sure. I can’t remember but I think it was $20.

Most people were doing the crawl in something like 30 seconds.

Just to be an ass when the hot head got up he put it in gear jumped out and walked beside his Jeep all proud.

I was last. So I showed him up. Bumped my idle down as low as it would keep running low range first gear. Jumped out and crawled beside mine.

Beat him by almost a minute

Everyone was cheering and laughing.

It was all in good fun.

Moral off the story even though the 134 is only 60 HP. You could probably pull a house of a foundation with it!!! Just don’t try to drive fast!!!

#565 3 years ago
Quoted from Bull:

If you need a hand crank nut I may have one I could ship you. Every parts Jeep I have bought had one oddly. It may take me a bit but I think I have 2 on my shelf.
Looks like you are doing it right.

That would be great! I will PM you.

Yeah, I was under it last night & removed the last four bellhousing to engine bolts. Just the engine stay cable to disconnect & the engine is ready to pull. One step at a time.....

#566 3 years ago

engine pull 1 (resized).jpgengine pull 1 (resized).jpg
engine out (resized).jpgengine out (resized).jpg
engine bay (resized).jpgengine bay (resized).jpg

Engine removal went smoothly this afternoon. No drama. Easiest one ever, so much room to work!

Tomorrow I will get it on the engine stand & we will see how it looks once the oil pan is removed.

#567 3 years ago

Sometimes I kinda miss my 72 J-4000. It was a real workhorse and served me well for years. Of the four J series trucks I owned, it was my favorite.

SCAN0086 (resized).JPGSCAN0086 (resized).JPG
#568 3 years ago

It's a baby Jeep but I was in the market for something new and good on gas but still could handle at least one pin.

IMG_20200617_205722262 (resized).jpgIMG_20200617_205722262 (resized).jpg

#569 3 years ago

Probably slightly better than my J-4000 was.

#570 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Probably slightly better than my J-4000 was.

LOL, it gets about 25 mpg average. Way better than my lift gate truck that was my main driver for the last year. Ugh.

#571 3 years ago

Just to let you guys know, I have had issues getting a pilot bushing that will fit in an AMC crankshaft. Seems they are all made in China now and something got lost in translating inches to the metric system. Bought some old stock Dorman and they fit.

#572 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Just to let you guys know, I have had issues getting a pilot bushing that will fit in an AMC crankshaft. Seems they are all made in China now and something got lost in translating inches to the metric system. Bought some old stock Dorman and they fit.

We need pics of what's happening on the Odin Jeep. I cannot imagine a V8 in my old Willys. With that short wheelbase, 2315# curb weight & the stock sloppy steering it would be downright scary. -- Not to mention the manual single master cylinder 9" drum brakes, but they were common back when I was in high school.
Maybe updated to 11" drums if you were lucky.

#573 3 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

We need pics of what's happening on the Odin Jeep. I cannot imagine a V8 in my old Willys. With that short wheelbase, 2315# curb weight & the stock sloppy steering it would be downright scary. -- Not to mention the manual single master cylinder 9" drum brakes, but they were common back when I was in high school.
Maybe updated to 11" drums if you were lucky.

The 9” were completely fine as long as you we sensible driving the Jeep, and knew how to grab gears.

It is when people think that 70 year old technology is going to work as today’s standards they get in trouble!!!

It is all common sense.

Use gears and don’t heat up the shoes and you will be fine!!!

Also my 46 steering is as tight as my F150, just proper maintenance and not letting things go to long. Knowing how to maintain bell cranks and bushing is all the steering is about.

#574 3 years ago
Quoted from Bull:

The 9” were completely fine as long as you we sensible driving the Jeep, and knew how to grab gears.
It is when people think that 70 year old technology is going to work as today’s standards they get in trouble!!!
It is all common sense.
Use gears and don’t heat up the shoes and you will be fine!!!
Also my 46 steering is as tight as my 3 year old F150, just proper maintenance and not letting things go to long. Knowing how to maintain bell cranks and bushing is all the steering is about.

#575 3 years ago

We used to take my 48 CJ2A to two local places with lots of mud and water. That's when those 9 inch drum brakes become worthless. When they get wet.

Using gears can control the Jeep until you start climbing a muddy hill with those wet brakes.

That J-4000 truck also had drums all around. First thing I did when I got back from driving Highway 1 south from Oregon was convert the fronts to disk. That's one sketchy highway.

#576 3 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

We need pics of what's happening on the Odin Jeep.

Driving back from Azusa Canyon soaking wet, the only heat that was available in my '48 after a winter day's fun in the mud was removing the cover over the shifters and stopping at the 7/11 once we got into town and buying trash bags to wear the remaining 50 miles or so.

So while I wait for one piston to finish putting the engine back together on my CJ7, I went thru the heater system to make sure it is all in working order .

DSCN7013 (resized).JPGDSCN7013 (resized).JPGazusacanyon70750 (resized).jpgazusacanyon70750 (resized).jpg
#577 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

We used to take my 48 CJ2A to two local places with lots of mud and water. That's when those 9 inch drum brakes become worthless. When they get wet.
Using gears can control the Jeep until you start climbing a muddy hill with those wet brakes.
That J-4000 truck also had drums all around. First thing I did when I got back from driving Highway 1 south from Oregon was convert the fronts to disk. That's one sketchy highway.

Ohh I agree 100 percent about mud and everything! You can destroy any drums with water and especially mud.

I was just talking average driving, it just drives me crazy our cars almost have to be smarter than us now.

Self driving, collision control, lane safety!

Part of me agrees it isn’t horrible to have all these safety features, but part of me isn’t happy you can’t hardly find a 20 year old that knows how to drive a manual tranny or even what’s to learn, let alone use brakes as intended, meaning don’t come to a stop sign and expect they will always stop you!!

Stuff happens, defensive driving as I was always told.

Get off my lawn now!!!

#578 3 years ago
Quoted from Bull:

Exactly. They have no experience with drum brakes.

1 week later
#579 3 years ago

After two tries, I finally got the one piston I needed to finish putting the 360 back together. In the meantime, since the engine and radiator are out, which makes it easier, I ordered and installed this Crown heavy duty steering shaft and lower column bearing to replace the sloppy original.

When you don't have power steering, the steering column shaft gets a lot of stress, and the Crown has actual u-joints at both ends. This is an affordable solution compared to others that cost several hundred dollars. It is expandable, and it had been assembled 180 degrees off, so I pounded it apart, put it back together, and now it is a perfect fit. It got a little scratched, but no big deal. I may spray a little paint on it now that it is in.

DSCN7047 (resized).JPGDSCN7047 (resized).JPGDSCN7048 (resized).JPGDSCN7048 (resized).JPG
#580 3 years ago

A glass workbench?
Not sure that would last long in my shop....

#581 3 years ago

That glass table is the least of my worries around here.

maxresdefault (resized).jpgmaxresdefault (resized).jpg
#582 3 years ago

Summer is here (sort of...June still had some snow fall) and we've been getting away to the high country. I've been appreciating the capability of this Jeep to get us to some of the beaten path Colorado 14er trailheads. Social distancing .

IMG_0192 (resized).jpgIMG_0192 (resized).jpgIMG_3726 (resized).JPGIMG_3726 (resized).JPG
#583 3 years ago
Quoted from rad:

Summer is here (sort of...June still had some snow fall) and we've been getting away to the high country. I've been appreciating the capability of this Jeep to get us to some of the beaten path Colorado 14er trailheads. Social distancing .[quoted image][quoted image]

Tent camping in the snow. No thanks!

#584 3 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Tent camping in the snow. No thanks!

I would go a step further.....Tent camping, No thanks!

Cheers,

C.

#585 3 years ago

Drove my brothers newer (a year old) Rubicon last weekend and all I have to say is WOW. The old ones I've driven in the past were just too harsh for daily driving, but the new ones are incredibly versatile and more comfortable than I ever thought they would be. Almost makes me want to get one.

Just wanted to add my $.02 since I saw a Jeep thread and was personally effected by driving a jeep just recently/.

#587 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Wiz:

Drove my brothers newer (a year old) Rubicon last weekend and all I have to say is WOW. The old ones I've driven in the past were just too harsh for daily driving, but the new ones are incredibly versatile and more comfortable than I ever thought they would be. Almost makes me want to get one.
Just wanted to add my $.02 since I saw a Jeep thread and was personally effected by driving a jeep just recently/.

Yep. I have a grand cherokee and will be giving that to my son in two years when he gets his license. I just drove a new Wrangler 4-door last week and I'm pretty sure that's what I want to go with.

#588 3 years ago
Quoted from Bull:

True - with the stock 60hp 134L head four - but put a 300hp Chevy V8 in & it's a different story.

#589 3 years ago

sweet additions to the jeep club. I havent been out myself with being laid off for awhile and things being closed yes even off road parks. Hoping to get out at least once this year. My rubicons electric sway bar took a crap so I replaced it with a manual one. right when i got laid off work my cooling system decided to give me some problems. I thought the hose clamp was weak and just came off put a screw style clamp on, guess the thermostat was sticking, ended up having to replace the radiator because the pressure built up to much and split the radiator. also went and replaced the thermostat housing while i was at it.

#590 3 years ago

Here is the electric sway bar that burned up. Water been in it before knew it was only a matter of time. Added a tornado decal since I storm chase. Added a Clint o meter also.

IMG_20200629_141131.jpgIMG_20200629_141131.jpgIMG_20200629_141201.jpgIMG_20200629_141201.jpgIMG_20200630_091832.jpgIMG_20200630_091832.jpgIMG_20200630_100717.jpgIMG_20200630_100717.jpgIMG_20200629_141436.jpgIMG_20200629_141436.jpg

IMG_20200630_100717.jpgIMG_20200630_100717.jpg
#591 3 years ago

At work friends

IMG_20200720_002144.jpgIMG_20200720_002144.jpgIMG_20200720_002232.jpgIMG_20200720_002232.jpg
#592 3 years ago
Quoted from dementedwarlok:

At work friends
[quoted image][quoted image]

Wrong order!

#593 3 years ago

Expecting a call from my machine shop this week on the condition of the engine block from my '47 CJ2A.
Spoke with him on last Friday & it was out of the hot tank. He gave it a eyeball look over & said it looked good!
This week they magnaflux block for cracks & check bores for taper & round.
Wish me luck, I don't want to look for another block.

#594 3 years ago

Operation Dumbo drop

DSCN7089 (resized).JPGDSCN7089 (resized).JPGDSCN7090 (resized).JPGDSCN7090 (resized).JPGDSCN7091 (resized).JPGDSCN7091 (resized).JPG
#595 3 years ago

Operation- take it back apart.

So much for that "quality" Edelbrock camshaft kit that I had so much luck with back in the day. Wiped out the bottom of one of the lifters that came in the kit. Just one. Besides that, it ran great! I guess this is what they are paying me for now.

DSCN7099 (resized).JPGDSCN7099 (resized).JPGDSCN7100 (resized).JPGDSCN7100 (resized).JPG
#596 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

So much for that "quality" Edelbrock camshaft kit that I had so much luck with back in the day. Wiped out the bottom of one of the lifters that came in the kit. Just one. Besides that, it ran great!

Sound like my misadventures with pinball restoration, 2 steps forward, 1 back.

#597 3 years ago

OMG, what a pain in the ass!

#598 3 years ago

Fortunately, I have a lot of experience taking apart and putting back together AMC V-8s.

My guy at the head shop told me they are having a lot of problems with flat cams as they no longer put enough zinc in the oil. But if that was the case here, it would be more than just one.

#599 3 years ago

They sure don't make em like they used to.

DSCN7103 (resized).JPGDSCN7103 (resized).JPG
#600 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

They sure don't make em like they used to. [quoted image]

That sucks -How many miles on it? Be sure to check the lifter bore closely. As you know the lifters are supposed to rotate in their holes, if not it can cause accelerated wear... but no way you have that many miles on it.

There are 853 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 18.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taking-on-a-jeep-hobby/page/12 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.