4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 424 posts
  • 111 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by Sinestro
  • Topic is favorited by 66 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 314 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_6269 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6267 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6268 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6266 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6264 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6263 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6262 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6261 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6260 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6259 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6258 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6248 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6256 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6247 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6246 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6245 (resized).jpg

There are 424 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 9.
    #351 3 years ago

Yeah, that's it. I enlarged it and printed it to fit 11x17 but its still very small and blurry.

Quoted from Ramakers:

Is this the version you have?:
    http://www.pingeek.com/killer/killer.htm
    I think it isn't that bad, I always print those scans. Then they are better readable, instead of on the screen. Also you can ad some comments while you dig into them.

#352 3 years ago

Oh, thats for a different game, i just stuck those in there because i had room. Those decals are for a game called Sente Team Hat Trick.

Quoted from cad-kid:

I noticed one of the stickers mentioned a cartridge. What part does that refer to?
    -still following along
    Love this thread.

#353 3 years ago

So, here's where i'm at.

Got a couple of motors that are not working properly (sluggish) so i ordered a few replacements. This thing uses a bunch of motors.

Need to replace springs on a couple of switches on the shot count step assembly. Its still firing non stop.

Also found a bad coil that i need to track down a replacement for.

Going through and meticulously cleaning and in some cases re-cleaning every single contact has got the games very close to working but not quite there.

SEGA_KILLER_SHARK_MOTORS_(resized).jpg

#354 3 years ago

On the artwork side, the animated Shark and Sea Devil discs are cleaned up and ready for reproduction. I'll do a test print next week.

shark_(resized).png

#355 3 years ago

Decals applied.

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

#356 3 years ago

Got the credit relay wired up right now.

image_(resized).jpg

#358 3 years ago

Pacman , love this thread!

Regarding the 'non stop firing' problem .

I taken this pic of the 'Score cam motor ' on my Sega 'Jet Rocket' showing the solenoid plunger that sometimes jams and makes it continue to fire non stop ,
    Only i cant quite see the set up on your "Killer Shark" , was wondering if it worked in the same way as jet Rocket?
    Dose your game fire 3 shots at a time?
    The jet rocket fires 3 shots with each press on the button. then the plunger should release.

Hope this can help out
    Keep up the great work

score_cam_motor_(resized).jpg

#359 3 years ago

Hey rocket is supposed to fire 3 at a time with 1 press of the button. Killer shark is 1 press, 1 shot

#360 3 years ago
    Quoted from Gundam_Pilot_:

Hey rocket is supposed to fire 3 at a time with 1 press of the button. Killer shark is 1 press, 1 shot

cheers mate , i wasn't sure how many shots per press of the button the killer Shark shot .
    what a fantistic job this guy is doing , really amazing work

#361 3 years ago

Just watched Jaws with my son. There was a great, but brief, shot of the dying shark animation in it a the island filled with shark hunters.

You are doing a great job!

#362 3 years ago

Got these Quick Color Sleeves in. They go around the fluorescent tubes to create the illusion of blue water. Got 2 variations - going with the darker one.

IMG_5792_(resized).jpg

IMG_5793_(resized).jpg

IMG_5794_(resized).jpg

IMG_5791_(resized).jpg

#363 3 years ago

Also got some of the motors in the mail today.

motors_(resized).jpg

#364 3 years ago

What an incredible restoration! I've been away from Pinside for a while. I'm glad I came back, if for no other reason, to find this thread. I've been looking for a Killer Shark for years and years, they are next to impossible to come by. Yours, sir, is the nicest on the planet.
    I look forward to watching you advance on this game.

#365 3 years ago

Thank you! Comments like this are really a shot in the arm and help keep me going. I really appreciate it. This game in particular has been quite a challenge. I really jumped into the deep end and it's been a humbling experience to say the least.

Good luck on your quest, I wanted this game so bad I bought it as-is as a box of parts.

Quoted from PinballShawn:

What an incredible restoration! I've been away from Pinside for a while. I'm glad I came back, if for no other reason, to find this thread. I've been looking for a Killer Shark for years and years, they are next to impossible to come by. Yours, sir, is the nicest on the planet.
    I look forward to watching you advance on this game.

#366 3 years ago

I've done it. I've bought machines that were in pieces scattered on the floor. That because we're crazy. I've done all the cabinets and rebuilds and clearcoats, etc. and I have to say you have gone seriously above and beyond here. People don't realize how many different skills it takes to do something like this. Mechanics, woodworking, electronics, artwork, it's definitely a skillset few have.
    I wish I lived near you, sometimes it helps to have a set of fresh eyes to look things over. Sometimes I back off for a little while and come back and find the problem immediately. I'm been building a custom pinball recently, I got a little burned so I walked away for a little while. I think I'm ready to get back on it this week.

2 weeks later
    #367 3 years ago

I'll hunt you down!! . . . . . . if you don't post a link to a nice 720P 10 minute video of you playing the final product!
    Anxiously awaiting! PLEASE detail the outside cab and CP, then end with some game play!

A lot of us are still watching this thread from afar and love your progress reports! Thanks again for sharing!

#368 3 years ago

People that are as talented at what you do amaze me.I wish I had the patience.

#369 3 years ago

Did I already ask if any of these games will be for sale? And if you said yes, did I call dibs?!

I'd be honored to add a game to my collection! I used to play sea devil as a kid in old orchard beach maine.

1 month later
    #371 3 years ago

This game sucks... That I don't have one that is.
    I played this at Carolina Beach when I was about 14. Awesome thread.

#372 3 years ago

This is one of my favorite resto threads, on a board that has MANY great resto threads. Please keep it up!

Brad

#373 3 years ago

Hi guys! Had to shift gears and put the games on the back burner for a bit. I'm remodeling my house and need to have it done this summer.

Did make some progress. Sea Devil 1 is fully functional. Sea Devil 2 is very close and Killer Shark is just having trouble resetting. Hoping to get some time this month to wrap them all up.

8 months later
    #374 2 years ago

Hoping to see the finish of this project. Any updates?

#375 2 years ago

Just wanted to chime in and let you know I'm always excited to see activity in your restoration threads. The extent and level of your skills and dedication are simply awe-inspiring. You, sir, rock. Please keep us posted!

#376 2 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Hoping to see the finish of this project. Any updates?

Diving back into this shortly. Need to wrap up 2 Sega Outruns and Jumbo to make room.

#377 2 years ago
    Quoted from cogito:

Just wanted to chime in and let you know I'm always excited to see activity in your restoration threads. The extent and level of your skills and dedication are simply awe-inspiring. You, sir, rock. Please keep us posted!

Wow! Thanks for the shot in the arm!

#378 2 years ago

Small update, got these backup spear tips from the 3D printer.

I'll lightly sand and then paint them.

Screen Shot 2017-01-23 at 4.56.58 PM (resized).png

#379 2 years ago
    Quoted from PACMAN:

Small update, got these backup spear tips from the 3D printer.
    I'll lightly sand and then paint them.

Real Nice.

Glad to see you back, I was starting to get worried Amazing build, I am in awe.

Phil

#380 2 years ago

If this is out of line, just let me know, but it occurred to me wading through this gorgeous and massively enjoyable thread that you have all the assets to build an emulator for this game. As a way of letting people enjoy the sights and sounds and play the game, and to archive it sort of for the inevitable time there aren't people around who can devote this amount of time and love into a project of this size.

I know that's a heretical thought in this haven of electro mechanical joy, but it was a passing thought and my fatal error was of course voicing it feel free to ignore it completely but if you're going to throw stuff at me, not the face.

All the best,

Phil

#381 2 years ago

Well you're not completely out of line As i have struggled to get this thing operational its crossed my mind - mostly out of frustration.

It's definitely possible to create a modern version of this as a light gun game rather than an electro-mechanical game.
    Everything would look exactly the same but you'd have a monitor instead of a thousand moving parts.
    It wouldn't give you the same feeling of depth though.

Quoted from snouty:

If this is out of line, just let me know, but it occurred to me wading through this gorgeous and massively enjoyable thread that you have all the assets to build an emulator for this game. As a way of letting people enjoy the sights and sounds and play the game, and to archive it sort of for the inevitable time there aren't people around who can devote this amount of time and love into a project of this size.
    I know that's a heretical thought in this haven of electro mechanical joy, but it was a passing thought and my fatal error was of course voicing it feel free to ignore it completely but if you're going to throw stuff at me, not the face.
    All the best,
    Phil

#382 2 years ago

I found an image online that clearly shows what the instruction plate is suppose to say. I need to make a new plate now that says "SHOOT THE DEADLY SHARK" instead of "SHOOT THE KILLER SHARK"

Screen Shot 2017-01-25 at 12.04.29 PM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-25 at 12.05.24 PM (resized).png

IMG_1998 (resized).jpg

#383 2 years ago

pacman I totally agree, the experience of playing these games is not easily duplicated by other means. I recall these very vividly from my youth (and that lovely old sub battle game whose name escapes me) and their size and physicality and depth is part of the experience. 3D and VR spring to mind as possible solutions but that's a lot of tech to throw at something and I dunno it feels mildly disrespectful of your efforts.

Ah well, I'll go back to daydreaming about owning an actual cab one day. Regards!

#384 2 years ago

Sub battle game? Might be Sega Sonar. I have one of these as well but i haven't looked it over yet.

sega_sonar (resized).jpg

#385 2 years ago

Or possibly this beast. Sega Periscope. I think there's only a couple of these out there.

periscope (resized).jpg

#386 2 years ago
    Quoted from PACMAN:

Or possibly this beast. Sega Periscope. I think there's only a couple of these out there.

Never seen a periscope. Would be cool to see in operation.

#387 2 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Never seen a periscope. Would be cool to see in operation.

I'm luck as I played a lot of different Sega games when I was a Kid and still remember how they played, Periscope was awesome with just how big it was and they used real model ships which was cool as I was into building WWII model ships at the the time and of course the game was very fun.

#388 2 years ago

Oh it was the periscope one, I remember putting my face into the periscope. It was magical and so big and loud when I was a kid. Similar to Battle Zone which also pretty much sealed the deal of my lifelong relationship with gaming. I turn 57 in a few weeks

1 week later
    #389 2 years ago

Killer Shark reproduction slides are done.

IMG_3058 (resized).JPG

#390 2 years ago
    Quoted from PACMAN:

Killer Shark reproduction slides are done.

Excellent!

1 week later
    #391 2 years ago

I just want to chime in to say I'm really enjoying this thread. Thank you Pacman for sharing!

2 months later
    #392 2 years ago

Awesome job! I played this game in the mid 70's when I was 6 or 7 years old. My Uncle owned tourist shops at the Pavilion in Myrtle Beach, SC and I'd hang out there for hours on end. This was one of my favorites! I'd love to play it again! Thanks Pacman! You got skills for sure!

11 months later
    #393 1 year ago

Hi, PAC-MAN!

Hey, did you ever complete the restoration on the Killer Shark? Got any final pix to share?

Thanks!
    Jeff

2 months later
    #394 1 year ago

... waiting for Killer Shark is killing me.

1 week later
    #395 1 year ago

I joined pinside just to follow this restoration. It's a stunning display of master craftsmanship.

#396 1 year ago

LOL Thanks for the compliment but there's way better things here on Pinside

UPDATE: After 4+ years. This box of parts is now 100% working and completely finished!!!! Pix and video in the next couple days.

Quoted from cm01:

I joined pinside just to follow this restoration. It's a stunning display of master craftsmanship.

#397 1 year ago
    Quoted from PACMAN:

UPDATE: After 4+ years. This box of parts is now 100% working and completely finished!!!! Pix and video in the next couple days.

This is great news! Congrats

#398 1 year ago

I can't wait to see it! Thanks for dedicating your time, treasure and talents in saving it and sharing it with all of us.

#399 1 year ago
    Quoted from PACMAN:

PAC-MAN, to me, there’s NO better thing on Pinside than your killer ‘Killer Shark’ restoration! I can’t wait to see the pix and video! Thx!!!

#400 1 year ago

Awesome! Can’t wait to see it. Congratulations!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 109.99
    $ 63.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    Displays
    GermanGamingSupplies.com
    £ 37.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 259.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 14.00
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 79.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 2,000.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 8.50
    Lighting - Led
    Pinball Haus
    There are 424 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 9.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside