Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 427 posts
  • 112 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by PACMAN
  • Topic is favorited by 66 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6269 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6267 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6268 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6266 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6264 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6263 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6262 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6261 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6260 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6259 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6258 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6248 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6256 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6247 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6246 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6245 (resized).jpg
    There are 427 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 9.
    #301 8 years ago

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#302 8 years ago

They showed that machine in one of the Jaw's movies.

#303 8 years ago

A bit closer to the finish line

#304 8 years ago

Switch was blown (bottom left) and had to be replaced on all 3 machines. Luckily a common microswitch arcade button fits on there with just a bit of tweaking.

#305 8 years ago

All 3 games are wired up and being tested.

#306 8 years ago

The Killer Shark had some melted wires that needed to be replaced. (Yeah that was as fun as that sounds) wires that intertwined and snaked through the game - what a pain. We added a fuse from the main power source so that wouldn't happen again.

#307 8 years ago

Fired up this Killer Shark for the first time in probably 40 years.

The good news:
    Everything lights up, all of the motors are working except the bubble projector.
    Sounds are all working.
    Timer is working but stops at 40 seconds.

The bad news:
    From power up it seems to go into test mode or something and just runs non stop. It's like it's playing a game without being coined up or hitting start.

The gun is firing, the light sequence (tracks spear), is going, timer dial spins, water projector spins, shark animation projector spins.

The sounds are working: bubbles, spear gun shot, shark hit and squeal.

I'll upload a video soon.

#308 8 years ago

Great progress!

#309 8 years ago

Thanks!

Quoted from PM_Jeremy:

Great progress!

#310 8 years ago

With the help of an awesome Pinsider (Gundam Pilot) we were able to track down a couple of the problems.

The game isn't possessed anymore, it fires up and the bubble sound starts. The lights and motors still work but it doesn't just play non stop.

The clock dial is resetting now at 12 and goes all the way around for 60 seconds.

Now we are trying to get the credit switch to work, it's firing 2 safety relays and making a loud buzzing sound. Like when Lloyd Christmas makes the most annoying sound in the world in Dumb and Dumber.

#311 8 years ago

These 3 relays are just sitting around doing nothing. The credit relay seems to be stuck on. And it looks like it's been re-soldered at some point but I have no idea why. Going the look at the capacitors leading to it next.

#312 8 years ago

The rest of the relays...

#313 8 years ago

Hey Pacman , Really sweet work man .
    It looks like all the hard work is done . Nice job with the Cabinet and Paint .

I have a "Jet Rocket" here , with schematics .
    I dont have the " Killer Shark" schems to work from .I think both games would be wired almost the same way.
    So here goes ,
    The "Safety Shock Relay" goes through the Coin Sw , Safety shock (Sw on its self) then to Game Relay.
    " Safety Relay" Travels through Switches on itself ,replay relay, coin relay ,replay button and replay relay then to Game Relay.
    But switches on all these relays are part of the chain .
    Score reset coil . Replay Release Relay .Replay Meter, Play Meter and Hold relay.Coin Swt.

Double Check for Jammed coin, credit button even the Test switch.
    Check resistance on all those small coils too ,And Meter the Score Cam Switches .

Check that 2-3 plays coil for resistance , it looks shorted even from down here. he.
    You may not need that coil , If you can swap the adjustment plugs back to 1 coin 1 Credit.
    You could swap out that coil or re wind it from a donor coil . If it is burnt out .

I would work through the relays . use a meter to check all switches, I found they were tricky to clean.
    I hope some of this made sense to you .
    Good luck . keep up the nice work. 4 stars!

#314 8 years ago
    Quoted from Ralph67:

Hey Pacman , Really sweet work man .
    It looks like all the hard work is done . Nice job with the Cabinet and Paint .
    I have a "Jet Rocket" here , with schematics .
    I dont have the " Killer Shark" schems to work from .I think both games would be wired almost the same way.
    So here goes ,
    The "Safety Shock Relay" goes through the Coin Sw , Safety shock (Sw on its self) then to Game Relay.
    " Safety Relay" Travels through Switches on itself ,replay relay, coin relay ,replay button and replay relay then to Game Relay.
    But switches on all these relays are part of the chain .
    Score reset coil . Replay Release Relay .Replay Meter, Play Meter and Hold relay.Coin Swt.

Double Check for Jammed coin swt, credit button even the Test switch.
    Check resistance on all those small coils too ,And Meter the Score Cam Switches .

Check that 2-3 plays coil for resistance , it looks shorted even from down here. he.
    You may not need that coil , If you can swap the adjustment plugs back to 1 coin 1 Credit.
    You could swap out that coil or re wind it from a donor coil . If it is burnt out .

I would work through the relays . use a meter to check all switches, I found they were tricky to clean.
    I hope some of this made sense to you .
    Good luck . keep up the nice work. 4 stars!

#315 8 years ago

Thanks, I'll check those things.

#316 8 years ago

Since we are in a holding pattern right now thought I'd continue finishing up the art.

Instruction plates.

3 weeks later
    #317 8 years ago

Made some progress on this sucker. Its working about 80% now.

In the meantime, i remade the labels for Killer Shark and Sea Devil.

1_(resized).png1_(resized).png

3_(resized).png3_(resized).png

2_(resized).png2_(resized).png

4_(resized).png4_(resized).png

#318 8 years ago

Anybody know where I can get schematics for Killer Shark? I've got the version available online but it's so low Rez it's nearly impossible to read.

#319 8 years ago

#320 8 years ago

Frosted LEDs

#321 8 years ago

Wow, no more interest in this thread eh? Guess it is a pinball forum.

#322 8 years ago
    Quoted from PACMAN:

I am still interested. You are like me with my Bally Eight Ball Restore, You get to a point where it seems no one is still looking, but sometimes I think folks want to read a little more and sometimes will wait until you hit a milestone that they think warrants a response. Please keep posting!
    Mike

#323 8 years ago

Yeah, I am following in the background.

#324 8 years ago

I am following. One of my favorite threads.

#325 8 years ago

Pac - You need a blog. I miss your old threads from that "other place".

#326 8 years ago

Still here... still watching. Did you find the correct font or just a reasonable facsimile? Looks great!

#327 8 years ago
    Quoted from PACMAN:

Been watching this one and your others! great work

#328 8 years ago

I watch this whenever it comes up. I figure it's amazing enough where I do not have to state how amazing it is.

your attention to detail and the time you have to do all of this makes me envious.

-c

#329 8 years ago

I've been reading this for months - great work and can't wait to hear that you've got all three completed! Bee-u-ti-ful thus far!

#330 8 years ago
    Quoted from PACMAN:

Anybody know where I can get schematics for Killer Shark? I've got the version available online but it's so low Rez it's nearly impossible to read.

I am still trying to find my large Sea Devil one for you : /

#331 8 years ago

Still here! Been following this since day 1.

#332 8 years ago

Love this thread!

#333 8 years ago

folowing

#334 8 years ago

I'm enjoying the progress reports.

Nice work. Please continue to share with us.

#335 8 years ago

Following still as well

#336 8 years ago

Following as well, very impressive.

#337 8 years ago

Don't stop keeping us in the loop! Your restauration render us speechless, that's why we don't reply

#338 8 years ago
    Quoted from PACMAN:

Is this the version you have?:
    http://www.pingeek.com/killer/killer.htm

I think it isn't that bad, I always print those scans. Then they are better readable, instead of on the screen. Also you can ad some comments while you dig into them.

#339 8 years ago

I noticed one of the stickers mentioned a cartridge. What part does that refer to?

-still following along
    Love this thread.

#340 8 years ago

I'm following as well. Looking forward to seeing the finished games. Great work!

#342 8 years ago

Following as well. Keep up the great work!

Ken

#343 8 years ago

New follower here. Very nice restoration and lots of useful info in this thread.

#344 8 years ago

Thanks Mike! Yeah i wish i had more to post right now but its slow-going with these EMs. I can usually knock out an upright vid in a couple weeks, these things are a whole other animal.

Quoted from packie1:

I am still interested. You are like me with my Bally Eight Ball Restore, You get to a point where it seems no one is still looking, but sometimes I think folks want to read a little more and sometimes will wait until you hit a milestone that they think warrants a response. Please keep posting!
    Mike

#345 8 years ago

Working on it Bit off more than i could chew recently, remodeling a house and designing an arcade building.

I just unlocked all my photos at the "other place". For now anyway.

Quoted from Linkage:

Pac - You need a blog. I miss your old threads from that "other place".

#346 8 years ago

The font i found is really close. I use that as a base and then hand draw the different aspects.

Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Still here... still watching. Did you find the correct font or just a reasonable facsimile? Looks great!

#347 8 years ago

Thanks!

Quoted from thepita007:

Been watching this one and your others! great work

#348 8 years ago

Quoted from CraigC:

I watch this whenever it comes up. I figure it's amazing enough where I do not have to state how amazing it is.
    your attention to detail and the time you have to do all of this makes me envious.
    -c

#349 8 years ago

Sooooo close!!

Quoted from bingopodcast:

I've been reading this for months - great work and can't wait to hear that you've got all three completed! Bee-u-ti-ful thus far!

#350 8 years ago

Thanks, and i really appreciate all the help you've given me so far.

Quoted from Gundam_Pilot_:

I am still trying to find my large Sea Devil one for you : /

There are 427 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taking-on-a-1972-sega-killer-shark-restoration/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.