Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 427 posts
  • 112 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by PACMAN
  • Topic is favorited by 66 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6269 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6267 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6268 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6266 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6264 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6263 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6262 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6261 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6260 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6259 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6258 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6248 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6256 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6247 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6246 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6245 (resized).jpg
    There are 427 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 9.
    #151 9 years ago
    Quoted from Andys80s:

You will all learn soon enough. The guy is here posting about arcade games because he has been banned on every other forum about arcade games on the net.
    He is the troll.....he will soon self destruct.
    Until then enjoy his abortions.

Well if he self destructs he has no one to blame but himself so we don't need you here to help the process along.........so LEAVE! Or we will have the mods ban YOU!

#152 9 years ago

Oh...and a restoration related follow up. He already stated how the entire cabinet it plywood with varying degrees of wood grain present. If you resurface wood like that with Bondo and other fillers with primer, you can get a decent surface to apply sideart. However, when stenciling, the grain can show through and/or the plywood can continue to separate as it continues to dry out. I know because of my Pacman project, in which I prepped the bejesus out of it prior to doing all of the stencils. 3 years later, after being stored in my basement with 3 dehumidifiers, I can see visible planking from the thin outer later of plywood continuing to dry and separate from the layer beneath. In the case of this game, the adhesive used to keep the plywood together is 42 years old...does it make sense to go to this much trouble to create new stencils, color match, and do whatever else he's doing just to have the project mucked up by plywood that's older than a lot of us?

#153 9 years ago
    Quoted from Andys80s:

You will all learn soon enough. The guy is here posting about arcade games because he has been banned on every other forum about arcade games on the net.

But yet you are the one getting downvotes, weird. User Ignored (handy feature)

#154 9 years ago

So what exactly is your reason for being on this forum? You are not contributing to the community, that's for sure. Looks like the whole reason your here is to bash.

#155 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jedidentist:

Oh...and a restoration related follow up. He already stated how the entire cabinet it plywood with varying degrees of wood grain present. If you resurface wood like that with Bondo and other fillers with primer, you can get a decent surface to apply sideart. However, when stenciling, the grain can show through and/or the plywood can continue to separate as it continues to dry out. I know because of my Pacman project, in which I prepped the bejesus out of it prior to doing all of the stencils. 3 years later, after being stored in my basement with 3 dehumidifiers, I can see visible planking from the thin outer later of plywood continuing to dry and separate from the layer beneath. In the case of this game, the adhesive used to keep the plywood together is 42 years old...does it make sense to go to this much trouble to create new stencils, color match, and do whatever else he's doing just to have the project mucked up by plywood that's older than a lot of us?

Maybe you made your basement TO dry.

#156 9 years ago

These games remind me of the NJ Boardwalk

#157 9 years ago

I have some exciting news that's going to really expedite this restoration.

I have acquired a beautiful 1972 SEGA SEA DEVIL!
    It has all the goodies i need to accurately reproduce the missing parts on my Killer Shark.

I will be undertaking a full restoration for it as well.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1972-sega-sea-devil-uber-rare-restoration

Screen Shot 2014-10-16 at 8.07.50 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-10-16 at 8.07.50 PM.png
    #158 9 years ago

Sweet!

#159 9 years ago

Kudos to the OP for not responding to the negativity of one poster. Thanks for being an adult.
    And thanks for showing us your work, it's looking sweet!

#160 9 years ago

So awesome! Please post videos when you get these playing again!!!!

#161 9 years ago

Yep, definitely interested in seeing some game play too.

#162 9 years ago

What a Joy this thread is! Top notch work, and Passion to do this! Thank you so very much for taking the time to take all the pictures and share!

As a personal Note, Killer Shark and Sea Devil were the run away hits in 1973, when I was 13 at Nunleys on Long island. They were so "advanced" we played in awe.
    Even better memory, is it was the game we would bet "kisses" on, with our then 12-13 year old girlfriends.
    My journey with the ladies, and arcade involved...started with this very game....
    Oh, the Saturdays, scrounging up the Milk and Soda bottles to return to Dairy Barn, to get enough money to take a girl to play this....and be rewarded with adolescent arcade, "spin the bottle"

Many memories, many kisses, and seeing your work, has brought them back.

Excited to see new posts from you!

Thank You!!!!

#163 9 years ago

Now that is promising!

Let me know when your going to start selling off all the pinball machines to make room for this new segment....

#164 9 years ago

This thread's awesomeness is over the top.. nice job OP!

#165 9 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

What a Joy this thread is! Top notch work, and Passion to do this! Thank you so very much for taking the time to take all the pictures and share!
    As a personal Note, Killer Shark and Sea Devil were the run away hits in 1973, when I was 13 at Nunleys on Long island. They were so "advanced" we played in awe.
    Even better memory, is it was the game we would bet "kisses" on, with our then 12-13 year old girlfriends.
    My journey with the ladies, and arcade involved...started with this very game....
    Oh, the Saturdays, scrounging up the Milk and Soda bottles to return to Dairy Barn, to get enough money to take a girl to play this....and be rewarded with adolescent arcade, "spin the bottle"
    Thank You!!!!

That's some story Art.

#166 9 years ago

On the hunt for one of these. I found a bunch of them for Fender guitar amps on Ebay but they are too small. I need one that's a .5 inch in diameter.

Can anyone help me find one of these?

Not positive, but i think its called a red faceted jewel pilot or indicator light.

Screen Shot 2014-10-21 at 6.34.43 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-10-21 at 6.34.43 PM.png Screen Shot 2014-10-16 at 8.08.35 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-10-16 at 8.08.35 PM.png
    #167 9 years ago

Will do - i'll get some nice shots of all the wizardry going on.

Quoted from Aladdin:

So awesome! Please post videos when you get these playing again!!!!

#168 9 years ago

Fantastic story!! Really, stuff like this is what makes it all worth while.

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Thank You!!!!

#169 9 years ago

Now that you mention it, i just started selling off my parts, but soon i'l be offloading extra games. Pinball and arcade.

Quoted from rufessor:

Now that is promising!
    Let me know when your going to start selling off all the pinball machines to make room for this new segment....

#170 9 years ago

I get all the metal back tomorrow, powder coating, chrome, etc. Stay tuned.

#171 9 years ago
    Quoted from PACMAN:

Can anyone help me find one of these?

Not positive, but i think its called a red faceted jewel pilot or indicator light.

I remember back in the 70's when Radio Shack sold them, but apparently they no longer do as I just checked their website. Not sure where else to look.

Ken

#172 9 years ago

search for a pilot light faceted lense cover, i'm at work and couldn't open alot of the sites but that looks about what your looking for.

#174 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jedidentist:

Glad I'm going to see this project finished.

Same here. Incredible work as always.

#175 9 years ago

Thanks for the info guys, looks like we have a match.

POLLAK 52-115 PILOT LIGHT RED LENS PANEL MOUNT

RED 1/2" diameter faceted lens
    5/16" mounting hole
    Snap out socket for bulb replacement
    12 V

Screen Shot 2014-10-22 at 1.26.39 AM.pngScreen Shot 2014-10-22 at 1.26.39 AM.png

#176 9 years ago

Looking good. Also, do you coat the pieces you sandblast with some sort of clear, PACMAN?

#177 9 years ago
    Quoted from Andys80s:

Considering he lasted much longer than you did over on KLOV, I'd be more concerned about you self destructing...

#178 9 years ago

I wish I had paid attention in woodshop and metalshop.

#179 9 years ago

Cabinet is almost done. Has a light coat of clear to protect the paint.

Screen Shot 2014-10-25 at 10.44.15 AM.pngScreen Shot 2014-10-25 at 10.44.15 AM.png

#181 9 years ago
    Quoted from PACMAN:

Cabinet is almost done. Has a light coat of clear to protect the paint.

The clear really works well to protect? - or to make the sheen the same over the whole paint job?

#182 9 years ago

It does both actually.

Quoted from dasvis:

The clear really works well to protect? - or to make the sheen the same over the whole paint job?

#183 9 years ago

Thanks Mike!

Quoted from GAP:

Wow awesome job so far.

#184 9 years ago

Just out of curiosity, what's going to happen to original cabinet. Is it ending up as firewood like so many of his kind or does it get a second chance. I know it's just wood, but if it could talk, it would have so many story's to tell. Like OLDPINGUY's kiss story.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taking-on-a-1972-sega-killer-shark-restoration/page/4#post-1972483

Maybe somebody is bold enough to re create its guts from scratch? You can provide the necessary info.

#185 9 years ago

I actually went to great lengths to keep it intact. It would have been much easier to scan if I had pulled it apart. Once the restoration is done the original cabinet will be for sale. I may even make some extra parts to make it look like a movie prop (gun, metal, marquee, etc). It wouldn't have the internal parts though.

Quoted from Ramakers:

Just out of curiosity, what's going to happen to original cabinet. Is it ending up as firewood like so many of his kind or does it get a second chance. I know it's just wood, but if it could talk, it would have so many story's to tell. Like OLDPINGUY's kiss story.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taking-on-a-1972-sega-killer-shark-restoration/page/4#post-1972483
    Maybe somebody is bold enough to re create its guts from scratch? You can provide the necessary info.

#186 9 years ago
    Quoted from PACMAN:

I actually went to great lengths to keep it intact. It would have been much easier to scan if I had pulled it apart. Once the restoration is done the original cabinet will be for sale. I may even make some extra parts to make it look like a movie prop (gun, metal, marquee, etc). It wouldn't have the internal parts though.

That's the spirit.
    Maybe it's possible to put in projector with the animated shark plus some audio.
    The coin door can substitute as a mini fridge.
    And the clock made from the score lights along with the time dial.

This would make a nice decoration in a loft.

#187 9 years ago

Some better pix of the new cabinet.

Screen Shot 2014-10-30 at 2.07.16 AM.pngScreen Shot 2014-10-30 at 2.07.16 AM.png Screen Shot 2014-10-30 at 2.07.26 AM.pngScreen Shot 2014-10-30 at 2.07.26 AM.png
    #188 9 years ago

Chrome T-Molding staying safe under protective decal

Screen Shot 2014-10-30 at 2.07.35 AM.pngScreen Shot 2014-10-30 at 2.07.35 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-30 at 2.07.44 AM.pngScreen Shot 2014-10-30 at 2.07.44 AM.png

#189 9 years ago

This was fun to make

Screen Shot 2014-10-30 at 2.07.54 AM.pngScreen Shot 2014-10-30 at 2.07.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-30 at 2.08.13 AM.pngScreen Shot 2014-10-30 at 2.08.13 AM.png

#190 9 years ago

Looks great

How heavy is this beast when completed?

#191 9 years ago

Gun parts sand blasted, ready for painting as soon as the new spear tip is fabricated.

Screen Shot 2014-10-30 at 2.10.40 AM.pngScreen Shot 2014-10-30 at 2.10.40 AM.png

#192 9 years ago

Its actually not that bad, probably 250 lbs

Quoted from futurepinhead:

Looks great
    How heavy is this beast when completed?

#193 9 years ago
    Quoted from PACMAN:

Project 6: Cabinet art stencils
    1. scan
    2. stitch scans back together in photoshop
    3. redraw in illustrator
    4. plotter cut vinyl decals and apply
    5. match colors
    6. paint

What did you use for scanning the cabinet?

#194 9 years ago

After doing some more research i've discovered that the marquee actually has another color. The mouth should be pink - mine was faded. That brings the total to 10 colors!

Screen Shot 2014-10-30 at 9.53.38 AM.pngScreen Shot 2014-10-30 at 9.53.38 AM.png
    #196 9 years ago

That's a really nice example of a sea devil. You need to post video of gameplay on that bad boy on youtube before you do any ripping it apart/resoration. Also where do you keep finding these sega EM's? They are pretty tough to locate to begin with, let alone finding multiples.

#197 9 years ago
    Quoted from PACMAN:

HP ScanJet 4600
    amazon.com link »

311BA9J0BDL.jpg 7 KB

Thanks, I know what Santa is bringing me this year. I didn't know these existed!

#198 9 years ago

The Sea Devil is my blue print to build the Killer Shark so its not going to be dismantled until the Killer Shark is done and working flawlessly. Its working but it needs to have some pieces cleaned, adjusted or rebuilt. Its making a horrible clunking sound right now.

How did i find these? Exhaustive searching, networking, cash and timing, oh and a lot of luck.

Quoted from Gundam_Pilot_:

That's a really nice example of a sea devil. You need to post video of gameplay on that bad boy on youtube before you do any ripping it apart/resoration. Also where do you keep finding these sega EM's? They are pretty tough to locate to begin with, let alone finding multiples.

#199 9 years ago

Another Killer Shark marquee shows what color the mouth should be

Screen Shot 2014-10-30 at 12.01.58 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-10-30 at 12.01.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-10-30 at 12.03.15 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-10-30 at 12.03.15 PM.png
    #200 9 years ago

Thanks GAP!

Quoted from GAP:

Wow awesome job so far.

There are 427 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taking-on-a-1972-sega-killer-shark-restoration/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.