(Topic ID: 170214)

Taking Care Of My Harbor Freight Tumbler

By UvulaBob

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC_9040 (resized).jpg
    DSC_9041 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider UvulaBob.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

The upside to Harbor Freight tumblers is their cost. Based on what I've heard, the downside is that they're prone to wearing out faster than people would like.

I have a friend who loaned me his vibratory tumbler that he gave up on. The problem is that the top of the long bolt that the wingnut screws onto has had its threads stripped. I can only assume this is due to the vibration causing the wingnut or the metal waster to move around and eventually grinding down the thread.

I took the thing apart and flipped the long bolt over, so the stripped part isn't actually in contact with either of the two nuts that hold the bolt in place. The thing now works, theoretically, as good as new. What are some tips people have to help keep it that way? One of the things I've read is to make sure the wingnut that clamps the lid down is screwed in tight, tight, TIGHTLY. With a wrench, if need be. This, presumably, minimizes metal-on-metal movement.

Anyone have any other tips to make sure this other end of the bolt doesn't get stripped?

#3 7 years ago

Well, the shaft threads just stripped again. I had this thing ratcheted down tight, but no luck. Trying to tighten down the wingnut now results in it popping back up the shaft a few threads.

This isn't my tumbler, and I doubt the original owner bought the warranty. So, if I want a tumbler of my own, I'll have to buy a better quality one. I don't want to have to go back to Harbor Freight before a full 48 hour tumble is even finished every time I want to tumble something.

#5 7 years ago

Well, ratchet might be too strong a word. I did use some pliers, though. And I'm 100% sure this is the correct wingnut. It spins freely up and down the rest of the shaft with no problem. The whole thing is just low-quality garbage, is all.

I suppose i could try to find a better quality center shaft and wingnut. Is there a way to know the metal quality of something like that ahead of time?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider UvulaBob.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taking-care-of-my-harbor-freight-tumbler?tu=UvulaBob and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.