(Topic ID: 170214)

Taking Care Of My Harbor Freight Tumbler

By UvulaBob

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC_9040 (resized).jpg
    DSC_9041 (resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

The upside to Harbor Freight tumblers is their cost. Based on what I've heard, the downside is that they're prone to wearing out faster than people would like.

I have a friend who loaned me his vibratory tumbler that he gave up on. The problem is that the top of the long bolt that the wingnut screws onto has had its threads stripped. I can only assume this is due to the vibration causing the wingnut or the metal waster to move around and eventually grinding down the thread.

I took the thing apart and flipped the long bolt over, so the stripped part isn't actually in contact with either of the two nuts that hold the bolt in place. The thing now works, theoretically, as good as new. What are some tips people have to help keep it that way? One of the things I've read is to make sure the wingnut that clamps the lid down is screwed in tight, tight, TIGHTLY. With a wrench, if need be. This, presumably, minimizes metal-on-metal movement.

Anyone have any other tips to make sure this other end of the bolt doesn't get stripped?

#2 7 years ago

I've eaten 3 of the HF tumblers. I've learned a few things:

1) Buy the extended warranty, it is dirt cheap....and chances are you will use it at least once.
    2) Always tighten the top, extremely tight. I've recommend adding a few large washers. It will help secure the top. I even add another bolt, wing-nut to ensure it does not come off.....
    3) Don't overfill with cleaning material or parts.

I have never had the end bolt strip. The most common problem I have had, was the wing-nut working it's self loose. When this happens the lid flops around; and usually bores out a bigger hole in the lid (destroying it). Ejecting material all over the place.....

If the threads are stripped, assuming it was possibly cross threaded....

Since this, I bought a high-end tumbler...The high-end tumbler is slower, and has less issues. But, ironically the HF until cleans the parts faster...... I now run both.

#3 7 years ago

Well, the shaft threads just stripped again. I had this thing ratcheted down tight, but no luck. Trying to tighten down the wingnut now results in it popping back up the shaft a few threads.

This isn't my tumbler, and I doubt the original owner bought the warranty. So, if I want a tumbler of my own, I'll have to buy a better quality one. I don't want to have to go back to Harbor Freight before a full 48 hour tumble is even finished every time I want to tumble something.

#4 7 years ago

Ratcheting?

Yikes, I haven't needed to go to that extreme. And the threaded shaft on mine is ok. I'm guessing if you/he used a wingnut that didn't actually match the threads on the shaft.

The cover is a bit deformed on mine now, though--I may have to get a new one soon.

#5 7 years ago

Well, ratchet might be too strong a word. I did use some pliers, though. And I'm 100% sure this is the correct wingnut. It spins freely up and down the rest of the shaft with no problem. The whole thing is just low-quality garbage, is all.

I suppose i could try to find a better quality center shaft and wingnut. Is there a way to know the metal quality of something like that ahead of time?

#6 7 years ago

Ditto the extended warranty - I seldom get them but it pays off on the HF tumblers. Give it some heavy use when new, the ones that fail mechanically usually die just over a month or two of good use. My first one failed at seven weeks - motor got extremely hot, couldn't touch the bolt for a bit, melted around the cover hole - pulled the warranty receipt and have used the replacement ever since.

Turn that wingnut until your thumb hurts! I failed once and like Force the hole became a larger oval. I added a metal washer on top of the rubber one under the lid, added washers on top of the to raise above the damaged thread, been good for two years. I have learned to verify that the wingnut does not move after 20-30 minutes then it can run for days if need be.

#7 7 years ago

Blew out two of the smaller units myself. I gave up on them but the larger one has served me well.

#8 7 years ago

After wearing out the hole twice in lids, I decided to fix the problem by reinforcing the lid. Added a metal disk under the bottom, riveted and fiber glassed in place, and some metal riveted to the topside. Works great now!

DSC_9041 (resized).jpgDSC_9041 (resized).jpg

DSC_9040 (resized).jpgDSC_9040 (resized).jpg

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from UvulaBob:

Anyone have any other tips to make sure this other end of the bolt doesn't get stripped?

Have you thought about using a wingnut made out of a softer material than the bolt? Like brass, or vinyl? It should bear most of the wear and be easily replaced.

#10 7 years ago

If the threaded shaft became stripped, simply take a thread chaser to it (also available at HF, ironically) and clean/renew the threads. If its so stripped that they won't chase, which is unlikely, re-thread the shaft down to the next size. IIRC, the current shaft is 1/4-20.

#11 7 years ago

I hand tighten the wingnut and then insert a nylon insert lock nut on top of the wingnut. The lock nut ensures that the wingnut doesn't move.

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from CubeSnake:

...... IIRC, the current shaft is 1/4-20.

Norm I believe it is a metric M6 Rod. Easy to change out to a 1/4" x 20 Rod. It will continue to strip though. The fix is what bznhvx did. Marvelous.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taking-care-of-my-harbor-freight-tumbler and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.