DSCN2624.JPG
DSCN2623.JPG
BSBB.jpg
BS3Bank3.jpg
BS3Bank2.jpg
BS3Bank1.jpg
BS Photo.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Here is a machine that doesn't get much talk and is usually sold for cheap. People literally kick this game to the curb. Well a few years back when I started to think about a few games that I would like to have in my home, Breakshot was near the top. Not that it was my favorite, but because I remembered it as a machine that was special, and had levels of play that I had not reached yet. Also it was a retro machine that was tastefully done with modern features...

But tonight after a love affair that started in the mid 90s, to hoping a messed up DMD would be fixed by reseating cables (which it was) I hunkered down and started to play. Somewhere halfway through the game I started stacking, with Cut-throat countdown and Ball-o-Rama going at the same time. Now we're getting some where! I love this machine. I think I'll keep it around for awhile.

#2 10 years ago

Never played Breakshot, but would love to own one down the road. Looks like a cool, 1 level game with a DMD. I too like the retro theme and think the game play looks like one of the better pool themed pins.

I actually have a Breakshot playfield hanging on my wall, and love how it looks. But that's as close as I've got to owning one so far.

#3 10 years ago

Only played on Hyperpin but very unique fun game. I really like the captive ball with target behind and uturn.
Do not really like the lack of skill to hit upper targets. Just get it in the area and hope .

#4 10 years ago

That's a good game.

I want to own one, some day. Have had the opportunity a couple of times to pick one up, but space, money and time haven't simultaneously converged upon a single point to make it happen yet.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from Shoot_Again:

Do not really like the lack of skill to hit upper targets. Just get it in the area and hope .

There is a tiny flipper on the right hand side you use to knock them down, or take the mini loop..

#6 10 years ago

I stopped by the Arcade in Brighton, MI on Friday and they have added a Breakshot to their line up. Fun game!

#7 10 years ago

Last night I got over 17,000,000 on this game after starting this thread, but it still wasn't enough to put my initials on it. But I'm getting closer. Two years later and whoever had this machine before still reigns supreme. I do love a challenge.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Here is a machine that doesn't get much talk and is usually sold for cheap. People literally kick this game to the curb. Well a few years back when I started to think about a few games that I would like to have in my home, Breakshot was near the top. Not that it was my favorite, but because I remembered it as a machine that was special, and had levels of play that I had not reached yet. Also it was a retro machine that was tastefully done with modern features...
But tonight after a love affair that started in the mid 90s, to hoping a messed up DMD would be fixed by reseating cables (which it was) I hunkered down and started to play. Somewhere halfway through the game I started stacking, with Cut-throat countdown and Ball-o-Rama going at the same time. Now we're getting some where! I love this machine. I think I'll keep it around for awhile.

I too remember playing and enjoying BreakShot back in the day. Had the opportunity to pick up a BS in the Bay Area last week. Although filthy and what looked like the original black rubbers barely hanging on, I saw past the present cosmetics and knew I could make it shine again! All that is needed at this point is is to replace the drop targets on both banks. I agree, BS does not get a whole lot of love. But for the theme and retro feel on a solid state platform, it really has a lot of bang for your buck! Gorgeous game to look at too!!

BS Photo.jpgBS Photo.jpg
#9 10 years ago
Quoted from nvu4prod:

I saw past the present cosmetics and knew I could make it shine again! All that is needed at this point is is to replace the drop targets on both banks. I agree, BS does not get a whole lot of love. But for the theme and retro feel on a solid state platform, it really has a lot of bang for your buck! Gorgeous game to look at too!!

Congrats on your pickup and effort on bringing it back to life! These machines seem to have a very good clear coat on the playfield, so I imagine it cleaned up nicely. The game play can be very fast, but also snappy. It has some of the best pop bumper action I have ever seen. Keeping all balls in play during multiball can be challenging, but well worth the effort.

I know they didn't make too many of these, but for those that would like to have a Capcom machine in their collection this is an affordable way to go.

#10 10 years ago

I had a HUO Airborne that i sold to gweem... and Capcom makes some high quality stuff..

Built like tanks, and far ahead of its time engineering too..

Great menu access, ans total adjustability in the menu's as well...

I have played BS before and i think it is one hell of a good game...

EM stlye in a solid state with a good solid fast gameplay element...

To me Capcoms make B/W's game look like a Vacation America, as far as quality goes...

#11 10 years ago

We had a breakshot at pinballz for a time, popular among the regulars and a pretty good earner.

My favorite capcom, concept and layout is unique. A good game to learn flipper skills and strategy on, trapping and playing deliberately are rewarded.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Congrats on your pickup and effort on bringing it back to life! These machines seem to have a very good clear coat on the playfield, so I imagine it cleaned up nicely. The game play can be very fast, but also snappy. It has some of the best pop bumper action I have ever seen. Keeping all balls in play during multiball can be challenging, but well worth the effort.
I know they didn't make too many of these, but for those that would like to have a Capcom machine in their collection this is an affordable way to go.

Thanks o-din! Yes, Capcom did clear coat their games very well, the clean up was amazing with Novus 1, 2 and couple coats of Carnuba! I was able to install the targets and decals over the weekend and was thrilled to see no soldering required. Nice that Capcom put break away/Molex connectors for the solenoid etc.

Very affordable indeed, Living in the SF Bay Area is quite expensive including the price of pins! Found BS on Craigslist for 2300. Knowing the price was steep for this title, I Negotiated down to 1100 considering the clean up that was needed. I feel I got a gem in the rough after all the work I've put into it!

I have to research Capcom parts, would like to rebuild the flippers eventually. Seems that parts are hard to come by due to the Company's short run. Also, would be nice if their was info on Capcom part numbers translating to Williams
part numbers. Most vendor sites don't recognize Capcom part #'s.

BS3Bank1.jpgBS3Bank1.jpg BS3Bank2.jpgBS3Bank2.jpg BS3Bank3.jpgBS3Bank3.jpg
#13 10 years ago
Quoted from nvu4prod:

I have to research Capcom parts, would like to rebuild the flippers eventually. Seems that parts are hard to come by due to the Company's short run. Also, would be nice if their was info on Capcom part numbers translating to Williams
part numbers. Most vendor sites don't recognize Capcom part #'s.

Pinball Spare Parts in Austrailia has some parts, but I have read that these flippers can easily be converted to B/W.

I am very impressed how the whole speaker panel and DMD assembly is on a hinge that just folds down.

#14 10 years ago

Capcom, genius's through and through !

#15 10 years ago

Breakshot is a great game. I found one cheap on CL that had been sitting in a barn for years. It took a lot of work, but brought it back to life and the thing looked nearly brand new when I was done. It is a great player and the ONLY reason I don't have it still, is that I had a chance to get a grail game and using Breakshot as partial trade was the only way for me to make it happen.

If I ever find another one for a good price I will get it.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Pinball Spare Parts in Austrailia has some parts, but I have read that these flippers can easily be converted to B/W.
I am very impressed how the whole speaker panel and DMD assembly is on a hinge that just folds down.

The whole game speaks of quality through and through! After owning the game for less then two weeks, I just discovered the hinged DMD off the back box. Surprised Williams or Stern did not pick up on Capcoms design. Perhaps a cost measure, I suspect. These games were built like a tank!!

Ok, this may seem dumb... After discovering the hinged DMD after removing the translite, I thought I would replace the batteries after shopping out the play field. To my surprise their was none, unless I'm blind ... How does the game remember settings and high scores? Any help with this question is most appreciated!!

BSBB.jpgBSBB.jpg
#17 10 years ago
Quoted from nvu4prod:

How does the game remember settings and high scores? Any help with this question is most appreciated!!

On a memory chip mounted on the board. It came that way from the factory.

#18 10 years ago

Again Capcom rules !

#19 10 years ago

I love it. Old school feel with no fancy ramps.

#20 10 years ago

Greg Kmiec at his best!

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

On a memory chip mounted on the board. It came that way from the factory.

Thanks o-din, figured you would chime in with the answer!

#22 10 years ago

You're welcome! Here's my BreakShot (and friends). Do you guys think it will stay working as long as that Fireball has? The way it's built, I wouldn't doubt it.
DSCN2623.JPGDSCN2623.JPG
DSCN2624.JPGDSCN2624.JPG

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from nvu4prod:

Had the opportunity to pick up a BS in the Bay Area last week. Although filthy and what looked like the original black rubbers barely hanging on, I saw past the present cosmetics and knew I could make it shine again!

That's funny, I recently picked up a similar condition Breakshot here in the bay area, too. Also caked in dirt, lights out, rubbers falling off, etc. Everything under the hood (and under the dirt) is in fantastic shape, though.

The guy bought it from an operator/sales buddy who went out of business a few years ago. Just sat in the rec room...he barely played it and never had the glass off.

I'm trying to figure out if it's worth tearing down the PF to do a real deep clean...I've never done it before and this seems like a great candidate as a first project. What do you guys think?

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from aingide:

I'm trying to figure out if it's worth tearing down the PF to do a real deep clean...I've never done it before and this seems like a great candidate as a first project. What do you guys think?

It would be a heck of a lot easier than the STTNG I did a couple months ago. I'm getting all the hard ones out of the way. A teardown on Breakshot looks easy. If there is hiding dirt, it would be a good idea.

#25 10 years ago

Love all the Capcoms, including Breakshot!!! Would love to get an Airborne someday.

#26 10 years ago

breakshot DMD.jpgbreakshot DMD.jpg

I added a red mylar overlay from Marco on a friend's Breakshot. Looks really nice.
Hoping in the future that ColorDMD finds a way to fit their display into Capcom. Randy states the interface would not be an issue getting that to work. waiting to hear if he can get to physically fit into Capcom games.

breakshot DMD3.jpgbreakshot DMD3.jpg

#27 10 years ago

Hard to go wrong with pinball

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Randy states the interface would not be an issue getting that to work. waiting to hear if he can get to physically fit into Capcom games

I read that and I think he was also looking for games close by to see if they could make it work. Well, I offered my Breakshot....

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I read that and I think he was also looking for games close by to see if they could make it work. Well, I offered my Breakshot....

I hope he can make it fit as I would like to put a ColorDMD into my Pinball Magic. Either yellow or purple should be a nice blend. There are many colors that would look good in Breakshot.

#30 10 years ago

Color DMD in BBB??? Mind blown.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

Love all the Capcoms, including Breakshot!!! Would love to get an Airborne someday.

Ditto, Airborne is up there on my want list.

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from aingide:

That's funny, I recently picked up a similar condition Breakshot here in the bay area, too. Also caked in dirt, lights out, rubbers falling off, etc. Everything under the hood (and under the dirt) is in fantastic shape, though.
The guy bought it from an operator/sales buddy who went out of business a few years ago. Just sat in the rec room...he barely played it and never had the glass off.

Congrats on your BS purchase. Yes, very coincidental we both picked up this title living quite close to each other. Found mine in Daly City on the second floor of an apartment complex. Hope you had an easier time packing it up and bringing her home!

BS is a very easy game to shop out, no ramps, wire forms etc. I suggest doing the play field in sections as I did, helps with the rebuild after cleaning and replacing certain plastic parts!

Have fun with it and enjoy!!

2 months later
#33 9 years ago

So my good friend pinBilly did this the other night while we had a friendly little match going on. Now THAT's what I call taking BreakShot to another level!
DSCN2825.JPGDSCN2825.JPG

4 years later
#34 5 years ago

Still waiting to see if you beat Pinbilly's score OD.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 209.00
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taking-break-shot-to-another-level and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.