Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Frax
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

caps_(resized).jpg
    cap_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cudabee.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from Tickerguy:

Getting those caps off is not hard. Use a temperature-controlled solder station, set it HOT (~700F) and have your solder sucker ready. Flow it, hit it, done. Do the same on the other pin and it should drop out.
    I pull parts like that all the time; the secret is to make it happen FAST before heat can transfer to things you don't want it to and damage components (like lifting traces or via's!)
    But that cap doesn't appear to be bad. Got a cap checker? Don't assume, test! No ESR problem and capacitance is in-spec, leave it alone.
    3 coils not working and the rest are ok? Odds are it's not the cap. Check the wiring to the coil and the driver transistors; are you seeing voltage on the output of the transistor *and* trigger on the drivers? My money is on the problem being there instead of at that cap.

These caps are snap in design, that makes them harder to remove because they cling to the pads even without solder.
    And i agree that i would test first with a cap checker if it is out of spec before attempting to replace.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cudabee.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taking-big-caps-off-wpc-driver-boards?tu=cudabee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.